What type of fencing do you use?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

What type of fencing do you use?

Post by JenTehLuv » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:01 am

Hey all!

Well my fiancee and I will be moving in the beginning of January to our new house! :D

It's got a pretty big yard (not sure how large but its about three times as big as the normal backyards in our area). We want to upgrade the fence that is surrounding the property before we get any of the dogs we want (we would like to adopt from our local shelter before we get a Tam, etc). I know most people go for the 6ft fence but is there a specific style or brand you prefer? Is there one we should avoid (bad quality, overpriced, etc) ? Currently we have a basic 4ft wired fence up but I know that these dogs can easily jump that :lol: In the past we always kept our dogs inside but would does anyone recommend a outdoor kennel rather than a larger fence instead?

Just curious! Thanks for all replies ;)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: What type of fencing do you use?

Post by Katlin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:38 am

I have a wooden slat fence that's 6 feet high with two 3 foot high gates (wouldn't recommend the gates - but that's how my landlord did it and Wylie never tries to escape). I don't suggest chain link since you're basically installing a climbing wall for them.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:25 pm

don't have fencing :mrgreen:

wolfwoman
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by wolfwoman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:02 pm

8-)

http://www.vantaelsesluske.nl __ greetings Stefanie

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:14 pm

For now we are using temporary fencing at our new house... which is made of 2m high iron / steel fencing panels.
However, in the springtime we will install new fencing: http://www.njuskalo.hr/5/ograde-najjeft ... as-1033152

Luckily our Tams are not climbers / jumpers, they prefer to dig or push under the fencing... so we don't have to worry too much about height (though better to have taller fencing if possible, just to be safe). The main focus will be where the fencing meets the ground: the fencing panels will have to be embedded in concrete.

https://www.facebook.com/SylvaenTamaska ... 1015977900
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Balto » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:45 pm

those panels are great, but i think exepensive... or i am wrong?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Yep, pretty expensive... but I just spent a couple thousand euros on DNA tests (for all the dogs / puppies) so the fencing is cheap in comparison. :lol:

Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Balto » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:29 pm

omg.. your crazy :D

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:16 pm

I know :P

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:55 am

Our fence for our 1 acre yard is still in very slow progress, but we are doing a 6 ft. welded wire fence supported by t-posts. I plan on also attaching bamboo reed fencing to it for privacy, don't know if it will keep from climbing, though I imagine it would at least make it more difficult. Our dogs will only be outside with supervision.

6 ft welded wire fence
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/w ... n-x-100-ft

T-post
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/s ... b-per-foot

Bamboo reed fence
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-6- ... pqHXHi9Kc0

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:02 am

Dog fencing. 8-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :oops: Don't hit me.
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:05 pm

My yard is 6ft dog ear picket fencing and then the back part of the yard I have a giant cliff with little dirt on top so digging posts in 2ft was impossible without dynamite. So I couldn't do dog ear picket… I did 6ft welded wire and well my Tamaskan has body slammed it, bent it, climbed it… so he is back on the Zip line.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:00 pm

We have a 6' fake wooden fence. Once we get our own place I would want to build a fence that had a portion buried so the dogs could not dig out. Darwin is a jumper. He can easily clear his head and shoulders six feet in the air.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:46 am

We have about a 1000 feet of this fencing: http://www.laurenshekwerk.nl/files/groo ... staaf1.jpg

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:49 pm

We have a 6' chain link fence. My boy's not a jumper but he does try to dig under, especially when the bitch next door is in heat. Every time we see a hole started my husband fills it with cement. :roll: Not too bad so far as our yard is on a very wooded hillside with lots of shale rock. ;) Don't know why some of my posts are bolded!!
Last edited by Nino on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed bold for you :)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:31 am

At the moment I am still under my parents' roof and my backyard has only a few wooden fencings which are climbing-proof for small breeds. But I will be investing in some heavy stone fences and digging-proof concrete right beneath it when I move to my new house after graduating

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:03 am

Eventide wrote:We have a 6' chain link fence. My boy's not a jumper but he does try to dig under, especially when the bitch next door is in heat. Every time we see a hole started my husband fills it with cement. :roll: Not too bad so far as our yard is on a very wooded hillside with lots of shale rock. ;) Don't know why some of my posts are bolded!!
Before we placed the fencing, we removed about 10-15 cm's of ground and placed steel netting on the ground. Then put the ground and grass back. You cant see anything, but the dogs cant dig further then 10cm and try to get out ;)
The rest of the kennel has concrete tiles.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:38 am

Karen wrote: Before we placed the fencing, we removed about 10-15 cm's of ground and placed steel netting on the ground. Then put the ground and grass back. You cant see anything, but the dogs cant dig further then 10cm and try to get out ;)
The rest of the kennel has concrete tiles.
I heard that some dogs can actually rip through this after about half a decade depending on the quality of the steel netting but I'm not so sure if that's true. Of course, since everything eventually deteriorates with time, common sense says to always maintain things anyways.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:32 am

We have the netting they normally use in construction. So, should be ok for some time :mrgreen:

http://static.mijnwebwinkel.nl/winkel/h ... 6979_b.jpg

ArwenT
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ArwenT » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:09 am

I'm in the process of planning a big enclosure in my garden that has to be suitable both for my cat and hopefully, one day soon, my future Tamaskan dog. It's not easy, as the space is pretty big (approximately 400 square meters) and also because cats and dogs are apparently 2 different sorts of escape artists from what I read so I'd love to have your feedback.

After a lot of researching my idea is this:

External perimeter: 2.5m wooden fence topped with an extra protection ( with underground concrete )
Inside perimeter: a free standing net fence with top extension ( with underground net)

My doubts are:

* for the extra protection on the external fence, I found these 2 options (Katzsecure and Purrfect Fence): do you think they can be enough for a Tamaskan dog, given that the fence would be extra high (2.5 meters)? Which one do you think could work better?

* for the inside free standing net: it looks pretty high, but I'm not sure if it's resistent enough for a dog. The wire is 16 gauge (1.7mm wall thickness) galvanised steel.

This is going to be reaaally expensive I know, but since I'm going to do it I'd love to make it right from the start. Does anyone have experience with these products or similar?

Thanks in advance for any idea.

ArwenT
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ArwenT » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:16 am

Nimwey wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:02 am
Dog fencing. 8-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :oops: Don't hit me.
LOLL :D

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:06 pm

ArwenT wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:09 am
I'm in the process of planning a big enclosure in my garden that has to be suitable both for my cat and hopefully, one day soon, my future Tamaskan dog. It's not easy, as the space is pretty big (approximately 400 square meters) and also because cats and dogs are apparently 2 different sorts of escape artists from what I read so I'd love to have your feedback.
I suggest making two separate areas:

one large area for the dog(s) to run/play/dig/etc... with tall (2+ meter high) fencing that is dig/climb/chew-proof.
one smaller area for the cat(s) to relax and sunbathe/ climb/scratch their claws, etc... ideally fully enclosed with mesh/chicken wire.

This is because cats and Tamaskan Dogs have different behaviors outdoors.

Cats tend to be pretty mellow outdoors... they like to explore and hunt, but they usually prefer to climb up somewhere high and then sunbathe/relax, while Tamaskan Dogs love to run around and play-wrestle (they are much more boisterous and active). Our dogs and cats are fine together inside the house but we don't let them outside together in case the cats start to run, which could trigger the dogs' prey-drive to chase/catch. Tamaskan dogs require pretty tough/solid fencing, while the cats require much tighter fencing without any gaps, etc.

That's why we have a couple of proper outdoor enclosures for the dogs with tall metal fencing and a high concrete wall, and a separate fully-enclosed "catio" for our cats... we're actually in the process of building a new catio since we moved/dismantled the old one. This was our old catio, which we dismantled:

Our cats are now inside the house with us 24/7 until we build the new catio, and then they'll be able to go inside/outside as they please. :)

It's ideal if the catio is attached to the house, so the cats can go inside and outside whenever they want... and then the dogs can go in and out to their area through a separate entrance. You can get some nice cat-enclosure (catio) ideas here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/211090222251348

ArwenT
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ArwenT » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:35 pm

^ This was extremely useful. Theory (mine) vs practice (yours).
Thank you, Sylvaen, I'm very grateful for this and very happy I found this forum before making expensive and perhaps also dangerous mistakes.

Before discovering Tamaskans I had researched a lot about Czech wolfdogs and found a beautiful video of one playing with his cat friend in a field, completely free; I guess this has conditioned my imagination, a lot.

In a way, I really admire the owner of these animals, he really trusts his dog so much that the dog possibly perceives it. On the other hand, reading about prey drive - both for Czech wolfdogs and Tamaskans - made me question how realistic this video was... And I know I would be nervous leaving my cat without a collar and a tag, and my animals in a place where there's a road with cars on the far end and no fencing whatsoever...

I guess I still have lots of work to do, be less romantic and more practical, but I will get there :)
Thank you for the links, and the idea: the separate areas attached to the house with 2 entrances is brilliant.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:57 pm

No problem! It's a nice video, on the surface, but it seems risky to me... the dog and cat obviously get along great together, but there are so many variables / potential risks for the cat, in particular: hawks / other dogs / poisoned food or rodents / traffic / etc. I guess I just worry too much to let my cats loose outside like that anymore. Once you've lost one (gone missing, etc) it changes your whole perspective and makes you more paranoid in general. After Gizmo disappeared, I've always been extra careful to not let our cats outside anymore. Maybe if we lived in the remote countryside but, even then, I would be worried sick that something (anything) might happen.