Need extra information about Tamaskan

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
maartendq
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Need extra information about Tamaskan

Post by maartendq » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this breed and got to know the tamaskan from TV-Series Game Of Thrones. They used northern inuits there to represent the 'dire wolves' and I fell in love with the looks.
I did some research and found out about Tamaskan-breed. I still don't know the real difference between Northern Inuit and Tamaskan (I guess dogs to breed with were selected on the looks).
At the moment I'm living next to my parents with a shared garden. My girlfriend has a male chihuahua, not the standard, skinny chihuahua as he's always outside playing with the big dogs of my parents and he actually has a "tough look" for a chihuaha :). I'm planning to move in a couple of years to my own house and would like to buy my own dog and I'm considering of buying a Tamaskan then. Do you think it will be a problem of raising a Tamaskan with a smaller chihuahua? The chihuahua is very friendly and open to new dogs, so I guess it would turn out allright, but I'd like to have your opinion. I'm also having doubts about the gender. My first doubt would be a male because when our female border collie is fertile, our little friend is pretty crazy for about a week :). Will this work or is it better to get a female? Can you keep a Tamaskan inside the house or is it better to build some sort of Kennel outside?
I haven't found any breeders in Belgium yet, so I guess I would have to look for a breeder in Holland, Germany or the UK. I have some time anyways as the move isn't planned for right away, but I like to plan ahead and this breed is the breed I've been looking for for some time :).

Thanks in advance!

PS: I hope I've put this thread in the right board!

Glennz
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Need extra information about Tamaskan

Post by Glennz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:43 am

maartendq wrote:Hi,

I'm new to this breed and got to know the tamaskan from TV-Series Game Of Thrones. They used northern inuits there to represent the 'dire wolves' and I fell in love with the looks.
I did some research and found out about Tamaskan-breed. I still don't know the real difference between Northern Inuit and Tamaskan (I guess dogs to breed with were selected on the looks).
At the moment I'm living next to my parents with a shared garden. My girlfriend has a male chihuahua, not the standard, skinny chihuahua as he's always outside playing with the big dogs of my parents and he actually has a "tough look" for a chihuaha :). I'm planning to move in a couple of years to my own house and would like to buy my own dog and I'm considering of buying a Tamaskan then. Do you think it will be a problem of raising a Tamaskan with a smaller chihuahua? The chihuahua is very friendly and open to new dogs, so I guess it would turn out allright, but I'd like to have your opinion. I'm also having doubts about the gender. My first doubt would be a male because when our female border collie is fertile, our little friend is pretty crazy for about a week :). Will this work or is it better to get a female? Can you keep a Tamaskan inside the house or is it better to build some sort of Kennel outside?
I haven't found any breeders in Belgium yet, so I guess I would have to look for a breeder in Holland, Germany or the UK. I have some time anyways as the move isn't planned for right away, but I like to plan ahead and this breed is the breed I've been looking for for some time :).

Thanks in advance!

PS: I hope I've put this thread in the right board!
The Northern Inuit was created by mixing Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes and German Shepherd to create a wolfy looking dog.
Tamaskans were created by picking the best Northern Inuits and Utonagans and mix them with really wolfy looking Finish racing Huskies.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:19 am

Welcome to the forum there is a never ending amount of information on the forum and I am sure all of us would be answering any other questions :D

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:04 am

maartendq wrote:Hi,

Do you think it will be a problem of raising a Tamaskan with a smaller chihuahua? The chihuahua is very friendly and open to new dogs, so I guess it would turn out allright, but I'd like to have your opinion. I'm also having doubts about the gender. My first doubt would be a male because when our female border collie is fertile, our little friend is pretty crazy for about a week :). Will this work or is it better to get a female? Can you keep a Tamaskan inside the house or is it better to build some sort of Kennel outside?
I think there are people who own Tamaskan who also have small dogs. Also they live happily in households with cats. They do play rough though :)

I dont know about gender, I think most male dogs get a bit stressed when there is a bitch in heat around. Perhaps if the chihuahua is a male, you would be better with a female just in case there is any same sex aggression if neither are neutered. Small dogs can be pretty feisty :)

I think almost everyone keeps their Tamaskans in the house. They can live outside, but are very social dogs and do not like to be shut away from their pack.

Hope this helps :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:54 am

Welcome to the forum :)

We had a Chihuahua staying with us for a few times but we had to keep an eye on both of them the whole time and keep them a bit apart. The Chihuahua and Konah (my Tamaskan) really liked eachother and wanted to play but Konah is just way to big for the Chihuahua :? The Chihuahua would bark and jump at her to challenge her and then she would swipe a paw at it and it would fly trough the room :mrgreen:

I think it would be possible to keep them together but you would have to be very carefull because of the size difference ;)
And If I were you I would go with a female, like Misaya said there could be war between the males when the female is in heat (even if they're castrated). A Chihuahua wouldn't be a match for a Tamaskan..

Don't know where you live in Belgium but me and the other Dutch owner (Gaby) are planning on a little Tamaskan meet-up in the Netherlands after summer vacation (September/October) for people who are interested in the breed and would like to meet some Tamaskan.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure after looking around you will find lots of information about the Tamaskan here on the forum.
For how a Tamaskan is with a Chihuahua I found this video for you of two playing with each other.

There is also someone here with their Tamaskan and I believe (correct me someone if I'm wrong) a Pomeranian and they get along very well. Basically I believe it is best to have them as a puppy around the smaller dog first so they learn how to play with a small dog and not be too rough when they are older ;)

I find it best to have the Tamaskan inside with you as part of your family. They are a pack animal and love attention from everyone. I don't know anyone on this forum that keeps their Tamaskan outside. (I am also very against anyone that just keeps their dog outside rather than with the family as they are part of the family, not a yard decoration. I see it too much with where I live and these dogs usually have behavior problems.)

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. You can find a lot of info if you check out the different topics. ;)
Rahne wrote: Don't know where you live in Belgium but me and the other Dutch owner (Gaby) are planning on a little Tamaskan meet-up in the Netherlands after summer vacation (September/October) for people who are interested in the breed and would like to meet some Tamaskan.
Did you already thought about a date for a meet-up? ;)

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:04 pm

Gaby wrote:Welcome to the forum. You can find a lot of info if you check out the different topics. ;)
Rahne wrote: Don't know where you live in Belgium but me and the other Dutch owner (Gaby) are planning on a little Tamaskan meet-up in the Netherlands after summer vacation (September/October) for people who are interested in the breed and would like to meet some Tamaskan.
Did already thought about a date for a meet-up? ;)
No I will make a post soon about it ;)

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Great! :D

maartendq
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by maartendq » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:58 pm

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome, it's nice to see a lot of helpfull responses so fast.

I hope that by bringing the tamaskan in as puppy they indeed learn to play together and the tamaskan would learn not to play too rough when he's 10x the size of the chihuahua. Although, the chihuahua is used to something because during the day he's in the garden with a border collie and a labrador, but I guess a tamaskan is still a size larger than those dogs. I thought I saw some pictures here of cages or a ren outside for the dog, that's why I asked, my plan is to keep the tamaskan inside together with the chihuahua as one big family and hope they get along and keep each other company while we're working.
Well, it will just be the two of them (there will be no female dog), but you guys recommend a female because of possible sex aggression with the 2 males if they meet a female in heat somewhere? The reason why I would go for a male was that I'd rather not have my chihuahua huming the tamaskan's leg for about a week when she's in heat :) (+ the fact that males are often larger).

@Rahne: Where would the meet-up be somewhere? I'll check for the post cause if it's in October, it might be nice to meet some tamaskans.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:31 pm

maartendq wrote: My first doubt would be a male because when our female border collie is fertile, our little friend is pretty crazy for about a week :).
This is why we are suggesting a female ;) But from your 2nd post you say the Tamaskan will only live together with the Chihuahua and not the female Border Collie? Then I don't think it will matter much if you get a male or female.
maartendq wrote:@Rahne: Where would the meet-up be somewhere? I'll check for the post cause if it's in October, it might be nice to meet some tamaskans.
We will meet in Apeldoorn 'Het Leesten'. If it's too far or you can't come that day you are also welcome to meet me and Konah some time. We live in Rotterdam, about an hour driving from Antwerpen.

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:38 pm

I think as long as you introduce the chihuahua RIGHT from the beginning it should be okay. I know with Odin he was NOT very found of my friends chihuahua, I was actually scared he was going to try and eat him. Maybe it was my paranoia...but I'm sure if we had introduced him to him from the beginning then he would have been fine. Especially considering he would pay no attention to my neighbors terrier and maltese poodle who were desperate to play with him...dont know what it was about the chihuahua.
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:21 pm

I have a small terrier, Yorkshire terrier x Jack Russell and my Tam gets on very well with her, the terrier is the boss and at 13 is not that bothered with playing very much. Saga is very gentle with her, if she is not the terrier lets her know :lol:

maartendq
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by maartendq » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Yep, the female border collie and the labrador will stay at my parent's house when we would move so he'll be only living with the male chihuahua. I'll guess I would go for a male then cause I rather avoid the in heat periods :)

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:14 pm

You have to remember that tams are real rough play dogs and while they would love and accept a tiny dog just as well as a larger dog in most cases the simple mechanics of "how do they actually play together" can cause problems. Sasha lives here with , as well as other dogs , a very very small jack russell and I have to say she has hurt him quite a few times when all she wanted to do was play so I cant let them all out together when they are very excited as she can really bowl him over. :roll:

I think if Tams live with smaller dogs you have to accept that you will have to watch them and keep them apart when your Tam wants to go really mad in the garden! :lol:

maartendq
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by maartendq » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Ok, from what I've read it could go either way and depends on the charactre of the tam. He can be a bit rude or more gentle to the little boy, either way it's something to watch closely in the beginning. Maybe it's even possible to correct the behavior if he's a bit rude, although it's not intentionally

Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Vroni » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:16 am

Our Jack is now 7 month old (and about 70cm shoulderhigh I think) and the parents of my boyfriend, which are living under us, have got a around 1 year old chihuahua.
At the beginning they played together, but because the chihuahua gets older and Jack bigger the Chihuahua gets frightened of Jack...
Jack do not have any respect of the little guy and play without the chihuahua wants to play. For Jack it is very funny and the chihuahua only wants to be as far away as possible...
There are other little dogs which are a little bit bigger than a chihuahua (for example french bulldogs or malteser) and Jack have got much more respect if they do not want to play.

I think you have to think about a playfriend for both, too. If we get a second dog we wants to have a big one like Jack so that they can really play together. The chihuahua and the Tamaskan will never be a perfect play-Team I think.
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

maartendq
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by maartendq » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:58 am

Thanks for the info! Good thing is our chihuahua is not the "average" chihuahua and already has experience with bigger dogs as he plays with a labrador and border collie daily. I know the tamaskan is still a bit bigger than these dogs but I still have hope they could be play-buddies :)