Summer Weather: how do your Tams keep cool?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Summer Weather: how do your Tams keep cool?

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Here in Croatia, where daily summer temperatures average around 35 C (95 F), we are always thinking of new ideas to keep our Tams cool. Aside from a plastic kiddie play pool, which we fill with fresh water each day (for the dogs to splash / lay in) we also give them ice cubes and, occasionally, whole frozen fish ('doggie popsicles').

We also regularly take the dogs to the riverbank, which is near our house (just a short walk down the road).
They don't usually swim since the current is quite fast, but they love to wade and splash around in the shallows:

More photos HERE!

Every couple of weeks we also take the dogs to Jarun Lake, which is a bit further away (by car).
There is no current there so the dogs can be encouraged to go for a proper swim:

More photos HERE!

What do you do to keep your dogs cool in summer? Feel free to share your experiences, tips and photos! :mrgreen:
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Summer Weather: how do your Tams keep cool?

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:35 pm

Ideas would be nice :D

I give Sam ice-cubes and he will sit and watch them melt and then drink the water :roll: or lick frozen fish until it starts to thaw/soften... Suppose it will be kinda cold :lol:

I also fill a bowl smaller than his water bowl (which is pretty big) with water and freeze it over night, put hot water in the sink (or somewhere) and give it a quick dip to loosen the sides and it will come out as a frozen half circle to put in the water bowl... Fill with water and it will slowly melt through the day keeping the water cold... Depending on how hot it is, you may need one or 2...

Keep a spray bottle (used for plants i think) in the fridge... he loves that one...

Swimming in shallow water in the river on low tide... Just wish there wasn't so much mud to wade through :(

As you can see, my ideas are pretty limited but lucky for us, British summer doesn't last too long and average temp reaches no higher than 30 c (mostly lower 27-28ish).

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Frozen carrots are good, also freezing tinned sardines in a tray of water! Fishy ice-cubes :D

I also sometimes put a cold, damp towel on the kitchen floor, they seem to lie on it just enough to keep their tummies cool.
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:56 pm

I went and bought a dog cooling matt... It is colder than the rest of the floor and it stays cool (some kind of gel pad inside). I also have a little play pool in the back yard, and when I have the gas money and don't work I take Zephyr down to Lake Superior which personally is way too cold (feels like ice water) but Zephyr loves running in and bitting the waves and then quickly running out.

SEO
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SEO » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Here, summer days can be very hot -35/37°C-, so often as I can I bring my dogs to water. The problem is these areas are crowdy.
Seo' swimms like a mermaid, and this since the first time he've seen the river !
About inside, I leave in a very ancient house, quite cold in, even if outside it's hot.

sky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:46 pm

They shed all their undercoat! Haha

They have access to the cool concrete of the garage any time they like. I have a self filling water bowl in there for them. They get frozen meaty beef ribs and I've given cubes on occasion. They have had kiddy pools, but the last one Rookie confused it with a chew toy. The closest lake to me feels like a hot tub so can't take them there! They lay as close as they can to the air registers when inside.

Half the time Rookie with his black fur and all is laying out in the grass in direct sunlight. Must not bother him too much. He also has a den dug out under the deck in the cool clay.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:19 am

Well let’s see :D Since I'm living in an apartment for now, I usually take Mona to the lake where she plays in the water chasing ducks and stuff, I also bring her with me when I hang out at my friend’s house and she'll play with their two dogs and go swimming in her pool.
Besides playing with the water sprinklers at the complex, she loves to eat ice cubes, gnaw on frozen chicken legs and I also give her frosty paws ice cream that she LOVES :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Nice photos! Wish we could take the dogs swimming in a pool like that - we have access to a pool but the dogs are not allowed. :P
Anyway, I just saw this recipe online... it looks pretty good: http://www.bestbullysticks.com/blog/wee ... lly-bones/
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 pm

Nice photos... Wish Sam had access to a big pool like that. But i think he would prefer muddy rivers anyway :lol:

Simple and easy recipe... My favorite :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 pm

We keep the air conditioning running all day for the dogs :/ We also have a kiddie pool, give them ice cubes, wipe their paws with a cold washcloth, take them swimming in the stream, walk them very early in the morning (5am!), and only let them outside for a few minutes when it's over 90 degrees. Sometimes, we're really bad and play with them with the hose. It makes a huge muddy mess, but they're so ridiculous with the hose--too funny!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends