height of adult male Tamaskan

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.

23- (58.42 cm)
No votes
24" (60.96 cm)
6%
25" (63.5 cm)
6%
26" (66.04 cm)
6%
27" (68.58 cm)
17%
28" (71.12 cm)
50%
29" (73.66 cm)
17%
30" (76.2 cm)
No votes
31" (78.74 cm)
No votes
32" (81.28 cm)
No votes
33" (83.82 cm)
No votes
33+
No votes

Total votes: 18

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi! We're trying to figure the proper height range for a male Tamaskan. The current standard states males can be 24.8-33 inches (or 63 to 84 cm). This is a HUGE range for a breed standard! I'm thinking there are no *adult* males below 26", and probably very few above 30". Please help us out and fill in the response below:
Last edited by Nino on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Put in cm in the choice box
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: height of adult male Tamaskan

Post by Tiantai » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:14 pm

Are non-owners allowed to suggest? If so I will pick a number close to Jaeger's height :D

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:15 pm

No, you're supposed to put how tall your adult male is. If you don't have one then don't vote.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Jasper is 73 cm (28.7") tall at the shoulders - I think this is a good height and I strongly believe that the upper limit should be 30" max. Depending on the bloodline, these can be very strong (pulling) sled dogs... the last thing we want is unmanageable (too large) dogs that pull too strongly on the leash to be able to go for walks. If Jasper was any larger, he would simply be too strong for me to walk (though it was more of an issue when he was an untrained youngster) - now he walks calmly off-leash at heel. It is important for males to be a nice, substantial size but considering that many female Tams are quite petite, it doesn't make sense to allow the males to get too big, or mating / whelping would be impossible (or at least very difficult). Size matters but at one point, too big is too much... some of the Muensterland offspring are (IMHO) just too big... (with height comes weight and extra muscle / strength). On the flip-side, we don't want "dinky" males either. I think 26-30" is a good range for the breed standard, unless it needs to be even more restrictive (narrower spectrum)?
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:34 pm

I think the current breed standard states males range from 63cm – 84cm (24.8"-33") and females range from 61cm – 71cm (24"-27.9"). I'm assuming males are usually taller than females, so I'm confused as to why the lower end of the spectrum is virtually the same for both males and females. :P

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Most breed standards are a 2 or 3 inch range. The current range is simply too broad and my mentor said if we don't reign it in soon, we could end up with two different sizes. Personally, I don't want two sizes (much like the standard and toy poodle, for example).
And no, I want actual measurements of real dogs, NOT what your wish is. This needs to be based on reality.
And yes, I agree with Debby, if we allow too tall a dog they will not function properly as pulling dogs. Already, it is advised to use a saddleback harness instead of an X back on these guys when pulling a sled otherwise the gang line will pull their rears downward and cause them to squat in the hindquarters.
Anyhow...we have been discussing the standard and thought it would be good to poll actual owners to see, in fact, if there were any males who were even on the small side.
Thanks for everyone's input!
And Lucas, have you seen Jeager in person? How do you know that's what you want?
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Most breed standards are a 2 or 3 inch range. The current range is simply too broad and my mentor said if we don't reign it in soon, we could end up with two different sizes. Personally, I don't want two sizes (much like the standard and toy poodle, for example).
And no, I want actual measurements of real dogs, NOT what your wish is. This needs to be based on reality.
And yes, I agree with Debby, if we allow too tall a dog they will not function properly as pulling dogs. Already, it is advised to use a saddleback harness instead of an X back on these guys when pulling a sled otherwise the gang line will pull their rears downward and cause them to squat in the hindquarters.
Anyhow...we have been discussing the standard and thought it would be good to poll actual owners to see, in fact, if there were any males who were even on the small side.
Thanks for everyone's input!
And Lucas, have you seen Jeager in person? How do you know that's what you want?
From the responses you've gotten on FB, I think the average is about 26" for males. But I don't think I saw anyone posting 24" for any adults. :shock:

I am curious to see how tall any males from the 2009 Muensterland are...just to see how they compare to others.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:10 pm

I like bigger dogs 28-32 Males. The smaller dogs look to much like a husky and less wolfy. Noque is 30 inches and he is my ideal height for a male but he is also not a tamaskan and minds me way better than Zephyr. I know two people that have race teams that have dogs that are about 29 inches at the shoulder they love them as wheel dogs cause they have a lot of power. More and more the Alaskan huskies being used here in Michigan have a lot more hound in them which gives them height though.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:28 am

Who's male is over 33 inches??
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:31 am

Hawthorne wrote:Who's male is over 33 inches??
Huh? I was just saying the breed standard puts 33" at the top range for males. Skye looked pretty tall, but I have no clue what his height was.

Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cornelia1986 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:16 am

I guess Nanuq vom Münsterland is the biggest Tamaskan at the moment. On the Tamaskan-Germany page it is said that he is 80 cm tall (31.4960629921")
I do not know how actual this is - he also can be a little bit bigger but to be sure you can ask Kirsten for this info.
There once was a wolf-
a wolf lonlier than the mountains

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:47 am

arianwenarie wrote:Skye looked pretty tall, but I have no clue what his height was.
Skye was quite tall, but not huge... same with Jackal.
Cornelia1986 wrote:I guess Nanuq vom Münsterland is the biggest Tamaskan at the moment. On the Tamaskan-Germany page it is said that he is 80 cm tall (31.4960629921")
I do not know how actual this is - he also can be a little bit bigger but to be sure you can ask Kirsten for this info.
Yep, that sounds about right to me... but personally I think he is a little bit tooooo big.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cornelia1986 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:17 am

Sylvaen wrote:
arianwenarie wrote:Skye looked pretty tall, but I have no clue what his height was.
Cornelia1986 wrote:I guess Nanuq vom Münsterland is the biggest Tamaskan at the moment. On the Tamaskan-Germany page it is said that he is 80 cm tall (31.4960629921")
Yep, that sounds about right to me... but personally I think he is a little bit tooooo big.
The bigger, the better? I don’t think so…
Take a look at the health problems in big breeds, Hip problems (which are already a problem in some lines), heart deceases, problems with bone structure, short living dogs, reduced agility …
30” are (in my eyes) big enough. As Debby said it is also not easy with such a big dog that pulls you wherever he wants to. And to be honest – there are also people who do not want to have a Tamaskan dog for doing sled work but as a companion dog for long walks and adventures in nature. In this case it is a benefit if no 33” dog with 90 pounds pulls you like crazy. 90 pounds prey drive are also not funny ^^
There once was a wolf-
a wolf lonlier than the mountains

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Cornelia1986 wrote:30” are (in my eyes) big enough. As Debby said it is also not easy with such a big dog that pulls you wherever he wants to. And to be honest – there are also people who do not want to have a Tamaskan dog for doing sled work but as a companion dog for long walks and adventures in nature. In this case it is a benefit if no 33” dog with 90 pounds pulls you like crazy.
I took a tape measure to see how high that went in comparison to my short self (~5'1) and I'd say that's plenty tall. But I do suppose a tall dog is different from a large dog..if you get what I mean. @_@
Cornelia1986 wrote:90 pounds prey drive are also not funny ^^
:lol:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Cornelia1986 wrote:
Sylvaen wrote:
The bigger, the better? I don’t think so…
Take a look at the health problems in big breeds, Hip problems (which are already a problem in some lines), heart deceases, problems with bone structure, short living dogs, reduced agility …
30” are (in my eyes) big enough. As Debby said it is also not easy with such a big dog that pulls you wherever he wants to. And to be honest – there are also people who do not want to have a Tamaskan dog for doing sled work but as a companion dog for long walks and adventures in nature. In this case it is a benefit if no 33” dog with 90 pounds pulls you like crazy. 90 pounds prey drive are also not funny ^^
Agreed! I love huge dogs, but I won't own one (like an Irish Wolfhound) because they are so short lived. That would be a heartbreaker to me. Already, 10-15 years is far too short ;) I keep telling Freyja she has to live forever.

I am 5'3" and Darwin is 85 pounds and 28" tall. He can easily pull me over, and I'm not slight of frame if you catch my drift. :lol:

Someone had marked 33+ inches--that's why I asked. I see that vote is gone now.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I am 5'3" and Darwin is 85 pounds and 28" tall. He can easily pull me over, and I'm not slight of frame if you catch my drift. :lol:
Does that mean Darwin can take me flying (albeit horizontally)? I'm almost 5'1 and let's just say I don't weigh enough to donate blood (min. weight is 110lbs). :lol:

I keep telling Abby she has to live forever...can't believe she's already 6! I don't think I'll find another couch potato lab like her again.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 pm

I like dogs big - but I also think a dog is big at 70-76 cm .. I would prefer the males to be no taller than somewhere in here..
I see no need to make another giant breed as it brings its own problems..

btw. I added cm to the top box as it was confusing for me as it wasn't a metric system and a lot of people use that
>> Nino <<

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks, Nino. :)
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rhadamant » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:15 am

Any thoughts on height ranges for females? I've got a Sharayah x Jaeger puppy (Oslett) and a Leilah x Zeus puppy
(Sierra) and both dams were on the fairly short end of the spectrum. My Oslett puppy Echo is about 26" and my Sierra puppy Tusk (who's only a year, still some more growing to do) is about 24". In terms of height Tusk took after mom, Echo took after dad.