Which name is best?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
ThePaperMonster
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Which name is best?

Post by ThePaperMonster » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:13 am

Hi guys, I don't know if this is the correct place to ask, but I was wondering if I could get some opinions on names I'm thinking about for my future Tamaskan (there's nothing set in stone, I'm just overzealous and excited for the possibility of having a beautiful fur baby in the next few years lol).

If you could, pick best boy name and best girl name. :)

Boy:
-Kairos (Ky-rose)
-Kaleido (like in kaleidoscope)
-Aisling
-Kronos

Girl:
-Sonora
-Echo (nvm this one, already taken by a Tamaskan)
-Serein
-Soleil (So-lay, french for sun)

Thanks for your input! :D

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Which name is best?

Post by Katlin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:03 am

Hehe I was the same. I have my next 2 dogs named already ;)

For the female I'm very attached to Soleil because that was the name of a horse I helped train and I will always love that damn horse :) For the males I'm liking all but echo. I always have had a thing for not naming my pets things that are too common. For example Meeko, Eeyore, Wylie, Deamos.

You'll know when you get your pup.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

ThePaperMonster
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ThePaperMonster » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:26 am

Good to hear, I feel less crazy already!

I have to admit Soleil is also one I'm leaning towards strongly, it sounds just so beautiful to me. :) Yes I'm looking for something unique as well. I work at a doggy daycare and I swear there are at least 7 dogs named Charlie there every time I'm there haha.

Thanks for your comment!

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rhadamant » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:06 pm

My Tamaskan is named Echo, but she's female. You picked out some great names. I go to the dog park almost every night, I cannot even start to explain how many dogs named Bear, Ace, Bella or Cookie I've met. Go with something unusual!

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:34 pm

OK, this reflects a deep-seated prejudice I have for names that are easy for the dog to learn, so where possible, I tend to prefer short (two syllable) names over long or complex ones. It's just harder to get their attention with the moral equivalent of "Michael James Worthington-Smythe" (humans know: Middle Name NOT good)

So my favorites

Echo (even though she was a Greek goddess) is a good strong two -syllable name and centuries of people not knowing the backstory make it work for me.

Soleil (c'est simplement belle!)

And if we're being mythological, may I suggest one more male name: Kronos, the leader and youngest of the first generation of Titans, son of Ouranos and Gaia.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

ThePaperMonster
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ThePaperMonster » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:41 pm

@rhadamant: Thank you! Yeah I felt that Echo was more unisex, but I wanted the lists to be even so I stuck it under the boy names. :P
Seriously though! That's why I spent some time trying to think of more uncommon and/or made-up names.

ThePaperMonster
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ThePaperMonster » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:47 pm

@firleymj: That is a fair and valuable point. I was thinking for the longer ones, I could always train them with a nickname and keep their "official" name for introductions and papers and what not, but maybe it would be easier overall to have the name streamlined.

Even I didn't know the backstory lol, so that's even better to hear about (I suppose I should move it over to the girl name list now...).

Thanks for your suggestion, I love the strong feel to the name Kronos and will add it to the boy's list. :)

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:43 am

Exactly. My Kona (< Lakota, "Friend or 'Life companion'") is really Hawthorne James Watson at Anthracite.
But he will always be my Kona.
Sunka waste! (Shun-kah wash-tay) "Dog that is good"
:)

And one more contender for the boys:

Teme (Tem-ay) < Northern Algonquin, "Wolf" which is part of the root of the word Tamaskan.

:)

Welcome and well met. May your life with your Tam be as wonderful and blessed as mine has been.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:14 am

Wylie's name was Sierra Kaweah, so his breeder just called him Kaweah, but I wasn't a huge fan of that being his call name. His technical name is Wylie Coyote :lol: but we either call him Wylie, Woo, or Wylie-Woo :lol:
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

ThePaperMonster
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ThePaperMonster » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your comments. :)

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rhadamant » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:57 am

From a training and recall standpoint, a good name probably needs to have some strong syllables in it, but this can be achieved in a nickname too. I've found that it is a lot easier to call a dog with stronger sounding names than without. That being said, he should sound distinct from common every day words, else you'll confuse the dog. I've met a dog named Kai, but any time anyone said Hi loudly the dog would look up, confused.

ThePaperMonster
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ThePaperMonster » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:52 am

@rhadamant: That makes a lot of sense, I've never thought of names that way before.

Hopefully Soleil doesn't rhyme with anything said in common conversation, as I think that will be the name I want to save if I end up having a baby girl. :D Still going back and forth through the boys names though..

ThePaperMonster
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ThePaperMonster » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:53 am

Question: Are there any registered Tamaskans that share the same name? (I hope/don't plan to do any repeat names, but I'm wondering...)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Oh sure, Koda is used lots, Loki too.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:07 pm

ThePaperMonster wrote:Question: Are there any registered Tamaskans that share the same name? (I hope/don't plan to do any repeat names, but I'm wondering...)
You can try sifting thru the database for a partial list of call names. http://www.tamaskan-database.com.

posted from my android device. Pleasee excuse typos

Wolfsbane
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfsbane » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:07 am

Katlin wrote:Oh sure, Koda is used lots, Loki too.
I think Tala is on the top of the 'most used name for Tamaskan' list, or is it Luna? Also indeed several Tamaskan named Koda, Kota, Takoda, Takota. And don't forget Thor, Odin and Freyja next to Loki :mrgreen: