Traveling Home from Breeder

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
CShorts0912
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Traveling Home from Breeder

Post by CShorts0912 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Hello,

My husband and I just found out that our application for a puppy was approved and we will be picking up our Tamaskan puppy in December!! We are beyond excited to have a Tamaskan dog become a part of our family. With that being said the breeder is out west and we live in North Carolina. We are debating rather we should fly there and drive the puppy home (16 hour drive) or fly there and fly back with the puppy in the cabin with us.

Has anyone flown with an 8-10 week old Tamaskan in a plane cabin with them before? If so, is there any advice you could give us? I am nervous about the pressure hurting their ears and about them crying during the whole flight.

If driving home ends up being the better route, does anyone have any advice to help make the really long drive manageable for our puppy? If we go this route we were planning to split the drive over 2 days and stay in a hotel over night somewhere half way.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and suggestions!!

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Traveling Home from Breeder

Post by Booma » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:32 am

I wouldn't do a big drive like that with a young pup. Apart from potential (possibly constant) car sickness and major boredom for a little pup that wants to run and play, there's the potential issue of them being exposed to something on a toilet stop.
I have no experience with taking a pup onto the plane with you (it's not allowed here in Australia), I have recently flown the pups from my litter around Australia and even sent two international (1 to new Zealand and 1 to America), and all arrived safe and sound.
Image Image

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:11 pm

I've taken pups in cabin (on a plane lol) and never had a problem, most airlines let you stick your hand in the kennel if needed. As for car rides, done 3 hour ones with my boy when he was young and again didn't have a problem HOWEVER Wylie has never once been carsick....this is quite rare in the breed.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 pm

I only just saw this post so I guess you probably have your pup by now (oops!) Anyway, if there is a direct flight and your pup is within the weight/size restrictions to travel in the cabin then that's the option I would choose. It depends on the airline but, usually, the limit is 8kg (including the weight of the carry case). It's a fun experience and I've never had any issues with pups traveling in the cabin. Otherwise, it can also be a grand adventure to take a long road-trip to collect your pup and drive back with it. What did you decide in the end, and how did it go? :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.