PLEASE Help in deciding on Wolfdog breed.

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
NasraniDisciple
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

PLEASE Help in deciding on Wolfdog breed.

Post by NasraniDisciple » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:15 am

Hi. I'm new to the forum, but figured I'd ask for y'all's opinions. I'm an experienced dog owner, expert by no means, but I'm known in my area for my dog training and techniques that I offer at no charge. I do not sell anything or even advertise anything. People simply come to me for help with their dogs of all breeds by word of mouth. I resent what they call me because it makes me sound like an expert and cocky. They call me a dog whisperer but all I do is teach the people how to and how not to treat their dogs. So in reality I do little for them as far as training their dogs because I believe strongly in creating a bond between owner and companion.

Anyhow, I am finally back in the 'market' for a dog of my own and am having trouble deciding which to choose. All opinions welcome. Here are my criteria and preferences:

Wolfdog look
Guard dog capability
Companion
Loyalty is a must (which certain breeds just don't carry a truly loyal to a fault characteristic)
I have kids but anything less than F3 or F4 (if actual Wolfdog) should be decent around kids so not a big worry.
Must tolerate other dogs to an extent
Taller and broader is better due to the places I will be taking it.

I am new to the Wolfdog ownership community but have trained several.

I think the ones I'm most interested in are the TAMASKAN obviously, the SAARLOOS, the CZECH, the BLUE BAY, and the NOBLE COMPANION.

I'd love a list of pros and cons on each breed for instance from what I've read, SAARLOOS are hard to get due to breeders. Plus I have no idea what to look for in breeders and what to watch out for. Where I live, I don't have to worry about laws too much. Price isn't as much of an issue as the waiting list. I don't trust people enough to give them a deposit and wait. I'd rather pay in full upon pickup.

Anyhow please help and thank you for having me and for your time.

NasraniDisciple
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: PLEASE Help in deciding on Wolfdog breed.

Post by NasraniDisciple » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:47 am

Btw. I only told the brief description of me because on most forums, people attack and question your reasoning for EVERYTHING instead of just answering the question that was asked. I'm mainly after the pros and cons list.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:02 am

NasraniDisciple wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:15 am
Here are my criteria and preferences:

Wolfdog look
Guard dog capability
Companion
Loyalty is a must (which certain breeds just don't carry a truly loyal to a fault characteristic)
I have kids but anything less than F3 or F4 (if actual Wolfdog) should be decent around kids so not a big worry.
Taller and broader is better due to the places I will be taking it.
If you're looking for guard dog capability, that automatically rules out almost all the breeds except CSV (Czechoslovakian Wolfdog).

"Loyal to a fault" can also translate to "separation anxiety"... so be careful what you wish for!

"I have kids but anything less than F3 or F4 (if actual Wolfdog) should be decent around kids so not a big worry." - not necessarily... F-gen and tolerance towards children don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. Low F-gen / high content wolfdogs are relatively unpredictable as they tend to (re)act instinctively (prey drive, etc) but CSV are quite high F-gen (usually 9-11+) and relatively low content (approx 30%) but, generally speaking, not great with kids. Overall, Tamaskan Dogs are ideal family pets for households with children but then they are not suitable for guard dog duty.

In short, your list of criteria and preferences doesn't leave much wiggle room. Out of everything you wrote, if I were you, I would probably choose a wolfy-looking German Shepherd.
NasraniDisciple wrote:
Plus I have no idea what to look for in breeders and what to watch out for.
Here you go: http://www.sylvaen.com/breeder.html
NasraniDisciple wrote:
Price isn't as much of an issue as the waiting list. I don't trust people enough to give them a deposit and wait. I'd rather pay in full upon pickup.
I don't think many breeders would agree to those terms. Most breeders request deposits before the litter is born and, others, once the puppies are born. A deposit is a way for a breeder to ensure that the new owner is serious and committed to getting a puppy, and won't simply change their mind at the last minute (especially if they have turned other people away in the meantime, thinking that you were intending to get a puppy). In my case, I prefer to know that all the puppies are definitely reserved as soon as they are born (by paying a deposit) and then I know the puppies all have great homes lined up well in advance before it's time for them to go to their new homes. If you don't trust the breeder, you shouldn't give them a deposit. Period. It's also a two-way street as a breeder also has to trust the new owner as well. After all, you're just giving a sum of money but they're giving you a life that they brought into this world and raised with love and care. It is a huge responsibility to find suitable, loving homes for each puppy and to ensure that it is a good match...
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:24 am

Anyhow, I am finally back in the 'market' for a dog of my own and am having trouble deciding which to choose. All opinions welcome. Here are my criteria and preferences:

Wolfdog look
Guard dog capability Why? Tams, ANCD, BBS, and Saars will not offer this in general. My tam protects his house but he is one of the few
Companion
Loyalty is a must (which certain breeds just don't carry a truly loyal to a fault characteristic) Then in all likelihood none of these breeds will give that on a regular and consistant basis.
I have kids but anything less than F3 or F4 (if actual Wolfdog) should be decent around kids so not a big worry. As debby has said that can depend. I would trust my tams with some kids but not others. I know of tams that are not good with kids and many more that are. I know Czech's are not (in general) good with kids.
Taller and broader is better due to the places I will be taking it. Again why?
My boy is long and stocky but still huge, he can go anywhere. His mom is half his size (literally) and can also go anywhere.

I am new to the Wolfdog ownership community but have trained several. Wolfdogs with content? "wolfdogs"? Training a tam, czech, and saar would be three very different methods.

I think the ones I'm most interested in are the TAMASKAN obviously, the SAARLOOS, the CZECH, the BLUE BAY, and the NOBLE COMPANION. ANCD's are low contents. BBS have some wolf content. Tams depend on the lines :)

I'd love a list of pros and cons on each breed for instance from what I've read, SAARLOOS are hard to get due to breeders. Plus I have no idea what to look for in breeders and what to watch out for. Where I live, I don't have to worry about laws too much. Price isn't as much of an issue as the waiting list. I don't trust people enough to give them a deposit and wait Not going to happen in the tam world, you have to pay a deposit. I'd rather pay in full upon pickup. Yeah sorry but 100% of legit tam owners will not go for this. Deposits secure your spot in line after the puppies are born to make sure all puppies have a home before 8-10 weeks. Actually I live in canada and I don't know of a single CKC breeder that will allow this and I know a lot of breeders since I show Dachshunds.

Anyhow please help and thank you for having me and for your time.

Personally I have to agree with Debby. I'd go with a german shepherd. Try to find a working line one with at LEAST 2 generations of hip scores and DM testing.
Make sure you're not paying for something that doesn't have proven healthy lines. Depending on where you are that shouldn't be terribly difficult. Tams fit some of your criteria but because it's a new breed the size, temperament, "wolfy looks" etc vary hugely depending on the breeder, litter, etc.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

NasraniDisciple
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by NasraniDisciple » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:13 am

I know all dogs in every breed are different. But if y’all could spare a moment, I sure would appreciate a breakdown of TYPICAL characteristics for each of the breeds I mentioned: TAMASKAN, SAARLOOS, CZECH, BLUE BAY, NOBLE COMPANION.

How would you order them in terms of size, look, temperament around kids, difficulty of breeders, difficulty to find, etc. I appreciate your responses. I asked your advice, but now I’m asking your opinions on those specific breeds.

NasraniDisciple
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by NasraniDisciple » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:20 am

UPDATE: Btw. My neighbor is a breeder and shows Great Danes. She explained to me about breeders and I now understand the difference. Now once I decide on a breed, I will just have to figure out reputable breeders.

I’m sorry if I sounded sketchy. I am just new to the breeder world and my only experience was while working for an attorney for a long time and helping represent many cases and hearing horror stories about breeders. Granted though, none of these were big time breeders.

NasraniDisciple
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by NasraniDisciple » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:24 am

Also. What is the difference between the breeds. ANCD and BBS look a lot alike. And the others all look somewhat similar too. It’s not as easy to me as say a husky and a malamute or a BSD and a GSD.

NasraniDisciple
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by NasraniDisciple » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:37 am

From what I’m reading, NOBLE COMPANIONS are mid-high content and BLUE BAYS are no-low content. Is this true?

NasraniDisciple
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by NasraniDisciple » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:54 am

Are there GSDs that look similar to TAMs or CZECHs?

NasraniDisciple
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by NasraniDisciple » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:54 am

Once I’m ready, where do I start when looking for breeders?