Tamaskan temperament vs Siberian Husky temperament

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Tamaskan temperament vs Siberian Husky temperament

Post by EskyTheHusky » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 am

You may guess from my username, but I own a Sibe.
I'm quite keen on what I've read so far on the Tamaskans in terms of temperament.

Has anyone here owned both breeds that could compare the two?
I love Esky, but her personality drives my boyfriend mental.
He dislikes the fact that (in his words) she wouldn't care if we died.
Just the independance and indifference that is part of the personality.
I expected the cheekiness and the stubborness, but he doesn't take too kindly to this.

Can anyone who has owned both breeds give me an idea of the similarities and differences between the breed?
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Tamaskan temperament vs Siberian Husky temperament

Post by Blustag » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:56 am

I own Husky Malamute and Tamaskan :lol: There is certainly a difference between the Tamaskan and the Husky for sure. Huskies are 'very' independent and love everyone and really need to work. Tamaskan are very loyal and love your company. They 'listen' to you whereas Huskies like to do their 'own' thing. There are many differences even though our Tamaskan have a lot of Husky content. I could write forever but I guess you get the point :D

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:32 am

I'm loving the sounds of these dogs :D

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:08 pm

I think Tamaskans can have this same indifferent somewhat "cold" trait , although not all of them. My Sasha is very nearly two and has only just become really loving and bonded to us. I think as a very immature breed they can take a long time to develop their true charictars! :roll: Thankfully she is a real snuggle bug now...with us anyway!! :lol:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Depending on what mood Sølve is in (my almost 1 year old Tam) she will act loving or totally indifferent..
I find that she can be very Husky at times.. specially towards strangers.. she loves her family but isn't very cuddly..
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:05 pm

My 11 week old tamaskan is a snuggle bug... at every chance he gets he comes and lays next to me and rests his head in my lap. I find that he is very much like the Shepherds I have owned in that he just wants to be doing what I am doing. He is friendly to everyone especially small children but he always makes sure I am not out of site.

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:53 pm

my previous dog was a Husky (Laska) she got on well wiith other animals (cats horses ect but could take or leave people , Lenka on the other hand wants to play and chase everything but loves people and would love to be kissed and get her belly rubbed 24/7.

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:51 am

What are they like to work with?
Are they distracted much by movement or prey or smells?

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:46 am

AZDehlin wrote:My 11 week old tamaskan is a snuggle bug... at every chance he gets he comes and lays next to me and rests his head in my lap. I find that he is very much like the Shepherds I have owned in that he just wants to be doing what I am doing. He is friendly to everyone especially small children but he always makes sure I am not out of site.
Sølve was like this at that age too.. but she grew out of the snuggle bug age.. hoping it will be better as she grows - she still loves attention and to play and train, but she's not a cuddly dog, and only come to you when she is in the mood.. very unlike Kovo my old Husky/Malamute mix - he would stand next to you and lay in your lap all day if you would cuddle him..

Sølve likes to work, but it's on her terms - she CAN be distracted but it's not a certain..
It has become a lot better as she has gotten older..
>> Nino <<

dash
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by dash » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:43 am

I own 1 tamaskan, 1 mixed breed sled dog and 4 sibes and we run a commercial husky operation in the UK.
Dashka is my tamaskan and she is 3 as well as being the alpha of the pack. She can run in any position in harness and listens well, except if there are rabbits on course and then there is no stopping her. She is not our fastest dog, but pretty reliable.
As to the differences between the 2. She is more people focused and completely loyal to me. She can run off lead and does recall. Loves to meet new people and will happily lie on sofa being petted.
We take her to schools, etc and she is the first dog children meet as less manic than the sibes and won't jump or be overly licky.
She learns very quickly and is more trainable than the sibes. She makes a great pet or worker, which is the main difference in my opinion.
Won't make the fastest racing dog, but ideal for recreational mushing, which is what they are bred for.
Hope this helps

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:44 am

Very much!
Dash that's what I wanted to hear.
I got so excited reading this in the standard
"The Tamaskan Dog is friendly and affectionate. He should not appear aggressive or overly reserved towards people or other dogs. His high intelligence and eagerness to please make him versatile in his uses as a working dog and loyal companion."
I might be able to convince my other half to let me have a second sled dog.

Racing here is quite different to over in the UK, you might have seen a feature in Mushing magazine about our racing scene (if you read that)
That was done at one of the biggest races we have in our state.
We don't have snow in South Aus, so it's all dryland sledding. Most teams are either 1,2,3 or 4 dogs with a few hardcore people (the eurohound owners mainly) that run in 6 dog classes.
The that I raced this year were under 2km, but next year we're out of novice and will be running approx 3.5 km tracks.
Not the huge distances that you guys overseas get to do :(

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Sølve is one of the fastest dogs I've seen (not being a grayhound or something like that haha) I will start training for bikejoring (1-2 dogs in front of a bicycle) soon - I believe she will love it and think it is great fun :)
I'm hoping that she with training will be a good sledding dog, but as I only have one dog, its not really possible for me to do sledding yet so for the time being its going to be bikejoring ;)
>> Nino <<

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:21 pm

:) Bikejoring is awesome fun anyway.
Our races are done on scooters, or bikes, but bikes are raced seperately as it's an unfair advantage having pedals :)
There is only one or two snow/ sled races each year here.
I think I'm going to have to start referring to our races as something different like dryland racing so I don't confuse everyone :lol:

Oh and uhh how do you say Sølve's name?

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:02 pm

I think my Tam is very much like a Husky. Independent and not very cuddlely. She is not very fond of strangers and ignores them, but will accept them and come over to have some more contact with them once she is more used to them. When she knows somebody she will go crazy if she sees them and is very happy. I believe that this has a lot to do with our other dog, who is very aloof of strangers and really don't like them at all. I think she is copying that. Even though we did a lot of things whith them on their own and trained her well.

She has a high preydrive. She will stay with me when she is off leash, but when she sees something running, flying or crawling she will go after it, without hesitation. I have her on a long leash when I do not trust her and have her every day of leash, but only in save places. I hope this will be a phase that we have to go through, she is 7,5 months old now. She is progressing, so that is nice.
A friend of mine, who has two Husky's, says that he sees much more contact with the owner from my Tamaskan than a Husky would normally do. My Tam is constantly checking where I am if we are on a walk. His Husky's can only be of leash separatly, together they will go hunting and go out of sight. They are not paying that much attention to their owner, although these dogs are very well trained and their owner is very good with them.

My Tamaskan is excellent at the dogtraining, but I have to keep her motivated. I have to reward her sometimes with playing, sometimes with treats and something with running, etc. She also is very good on the leash and in contact with other dogs.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:57 pm

This is all very interesting because like with people siblings in people and dogs can be soooo different. Ollie who is sibling to Gaby's girl just adores everyone and absolutely loves his cuddles. It is true though that dogs do copy the others. I used to have a quiet house at feeding time and now that one or two bark like hell at feeding time the others are all copying and the noise is awul :lol: Nervous and timid dogs can also transmit their fear to new dogs coming in. Fortunately I dont have that problem :lol:

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:03 pm

never had a husky but while sat hugging in town a lady said she wishes her dog was as snuggly and when i asked what she had told me it was one of those 'new' husky/mal's (huskamute i thnk she ment, wasn't aware they were new but...).

sam loves cuddles. he still tries to lay on his back on my lap like he did when he was a baby. and the smile he gives while i tickle his belly is heart melting (well it is to me anyway). he will follow me everywhere in the house. i go sit on the bed, sam will go sit on the bed, i go to bathroom, sam goes to bathroom, i go in the bath, sam lays at the side of the bath. he will stay down stairs if i close the baby gate with no fuss but i like the company he gives :D . when out walking, he loves people and wags his tail to the point i think it may fall off :lol: . i think he may be a tad protective because one of my friends was having issues and i saw her all upset and talking thru tears but i think sam thought she was yelling at me so he barked at her non stop more or less and that was the 1st and only time he has barked (so i know he can lol). he adores kids, he loves standing outside school waiting for his kids to come out and all the fuss and cuddles he get from the ones passing...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:52 pm

EskyTheHusky wrote::) Bikejoring is awesome fun anyway.
Our races are done on scooters, or bikes, but bikes are raced seperately as it's an unfair advantage having pedals :)
There is only one or two snow/ sled races each year here.
I think I'm going to have to start referring to our races as something different like dryland racing so I don't confuse everyone :lol:

Oh and uhh how do you say Sølve's name?
I think it's going to be great fun - looking very much forward to getting started :)

Uhm Sølve.. Hmm since Ø is a danish letter and I cannot really think of an English sound that sounds like it Im not really sure how to explain how it is pronounced.. But at first my Canadian family said Silve(r) cause that was what they heard when I told them her name - it's around that but not really anyway.. Argh it's hard.. Maybe some of the other danes, swedish people or norwegians on the forum has a better knowledge of letter sounds than I have ;-) as far as I know Ø is used in their alphabets too :)
>> Nino <<

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:48 pm

I have Saga, who is 9 months old. She can be independant sometimes, but most of the time she loves fuss and just being with us. She does have a prey drive, she loves hunting mice when we go on our walks and has started chasing the squirels, she does go a bit deaf then, but if I keep walking then she stops and follows me, so she does keep an eye on what I am doing. She is also getting better at following me rather than the other dogs we meet on our walks uless they are wanting to play as well, but she is getting better. She loves children and is good with them when we do the school run, she just lies there while they fuss her. She will greet anyone we meet walking, but is not too interested in them, unless she knows them.

I have never had a Sib, so can not compare them for you, but for trainablity she is easier than my stuborn small terrier cross. I would say that you do not get the same attentiveness as a German Shepherd as Tams are a bit more independant and free thinking, but they are still reasonably trainable.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:31 pm

Blustag wrote:This is all very interesting because like with people siblings in people and dogs can be soooo different. Ollie who is sibling to Gaby's girl just adores everyone and absolutely loves his cuddles. It is true though that dogs do copy the others. I used to have a quiet house at feeding time and now that one or two bark like hell at feeding time the others are all copying and the noise is awul :lol: Nervous and timid dogs can also transmit their fear to new dogs coming in. Fortunately I dont have that problem :lol:
Yes, that is interesting indeed. It is not "her thing" to do not like strangers. When I take her alone to a meeting, she acts different than when our other dog is there too. But she is taking over now, and is becoming the alpha female. I hope that will change them both. She will do what she thinks is best and he has to follow her. I think that will be best for both of them. He is a unstable and insecure dog, but tries to be dominant too. That is difficult for him and I think he will be relieved if she is the boss. That is probably why it is happening so soon, with Mila only 7,5 months old. ;)

Balto
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Balto » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:22 am

Balto is a Siberian husky and he is much opposite of what i read about siberians.. he loves to work, he can fetch and retrieve a toy over 20 times in a row, he can be trusted off leash anywhere and always recall, he is so strongly connected to me that he howls when im not at home, even if my family members are.. when we are at playground where there are about 10-15 dogs i usually dont even have to call him when i leave, as soon as i leave he comes after me.. he can stay in yard if the main gates are open and not even try to go outside.. if some of my family members go outside and call him out, he first take a look at me and if he sees me not going anywhere neither does he..
he is very jealous when i pet other dogs.. and very protective if some hyper dog is around, he usually then stop playing and sit next to me and growl if the dog gets close to me, even trying to block his way..

he is not interested in other people, he can walk beside me in crowd of people and not even look at one.. he likes when i pet him or some of my friend or family, but will not allow for stranger to pet him