Homemade Treats

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Homemade Treats

Post by iamnic » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:50 am

Just thought I would share this super easy pumpkin treat I made this past weekend. The girls love it, and its nice to know exactly what is going into them. The pumpkin can help with digestion issues and sloppy motions, and the yogurt provides some good probiotics. Also, I used brown rice flour which not only gave the treat a nice crunch but is also great for pups with wheat sensitivities.

Naima & Kona's Autumn Pumpkin Treats

2 eggs
1/2 can of canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin filling)
4 tbsp nonfat yogurt (we used nonfat Greek yogurt)
2 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 tbsp cinnamon(optional)
dash of salt

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, yogurt, cinnamon, salt, and flour until you make a stiff, dry dough. It sometimes helps to mix in the flour gradually.

3. Depending on your preference, you can roll the dough 1/4 inch thick and use a cookie cutter for fun shapes. Another option is to roll the dough into 1/2 inch balls. Place shapes/balls onto a cookie sheet--no need to grease it beforehand.

4. Bake 20 minutes, flip the treats, and bake an additional 15 minutes.

I ended up doing a combination of shapes and the balls, and ended up decorating the balls with a checkered pattern I achieved with a fork. You can do this be pushing the flat side of the fork prongs in perpendicular patterns and flattening the ball a bit. These treats offer a lot of flexibility for all of you culinary artists out there--I think next time I'll try adding in peanut butter and maybe some bits of carrot. Either way, the treats have been a hit with the girls :)

The girls just about passed out in anticipation for the treats. Well. Naima did at least.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Homemade Treats

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:23 am

I use a similar recipe for treats I make for my dog. Except I use garbanzo bean flour (chickpea flour) since I don't know how she reacts to grains as I've never given her anything with grains in it. :P

No salt, but the yogurt is a good idea. I will have to try that some time. I also add in some fresh ground ginger juice to give it a little bit of a kick...yes, I ate a few of the dog treats I made before. Not bad...just not very flavorful; quite bland. :lol:

Do you put them in a dehydrator after baking them? I found that if I bake the treats till they're the right color, let them cool a bit and them dehydrate them in a dehydrator for 4-6 hours, then they last a very long time (up to a year with proper storage). Otherwise, they last about a couple months before going bad...unless the dog eats all of them beforehand. 8-)

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:35 am

Ooh I hadn't thought about the dehydrator, but excellent idea! I'm freezing the majority of the treats with the hopes that they will last a bit longer. Naima actually broke out of her crate the other night and we found her in the kitchen looking guilty with crumbs scattered on the floor.

And my boyfriend totally ate one of the treats too! He said they were actually good :lol:

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:44 am

iamnic wrote:Ooh I hadn't thought about the dehydrator, but excellent idea! I'm freezing the majority of the treats with the hopes that they will last a bit longer. Naima actually broke out of her crate the other night and we found her in the kitchen looking guilty with crumbs scattered on the floor.

And my boyfriend totally ate one of the treats too! He said they were actually good :lol:
LOL. Peanut butter with cinnamon and pumpkin puree actually tastes pretty good. And the peanut butter I use is pure ground peanuts only...no sugar, salt, oils or other preservatives. It is a painstaking process to find ingredients that have been least processed, but once I find it, it's awesome! :)

Ohh...and add a smidgen of applesauce too! Again, none of the applesauce that has sugar in it - unsweetened applesauce with vitamin c. That tastes pretty good too. The garbanzo bean flour will give the treats a nutty aroma - you'll really smell it when if you include peanut butter.

The freezer works pretty good, but once thawed, the condensation will make the treats go bad faster. :( Dehydrate the heck out of them on the setting where you'd use to dehydrate fruits (135F, methinks) for 4-6 hours (use a timer) and then store them in a cool dark place in an airtight container and they'll last quite a while. If the treats are more than 1/4" thick, then you might have to dehydrate longer than that. I've never cross-hashed them like you did as I have a bunch of cutesy cookie cutters. Mini reindeers, rabbits and teddy bears are my favorite cookie cutters.

I ran out of treats the other day, but once I make more, I will def post pics in this thread.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 am

They do look yummy!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:53 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:They do look yummy!
What do you want to bet they also smell yummy? ;)

LiannaeLeagadh
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by LiannaeLeagadh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 pm

I'll have to find my recipe, but I make homemade treats for my mother-in-laws springer spaniel, Shiloh, after having the first one she just went crazy :D she loves them.
No grains and flavored with chicken/beef/veggie super condensed stock in the base recipe
(I add in extras per request of my motherinlaw, cheese oatmeal & such)

But I'd love to know if other dogs like them as much as Shiloh does.
Will post it as soon as i find it
Fáelan Liannáe Leagadh

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Be careful with stock because it contains a lot of sodium which is hard on kidneys.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 am

Katlin wrote:Be careful with stock because it contains a lot of sodium which is hard on kidneys.
Unless you make your own... ;)

LiannaeLeagadh
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by LiannaeLeagadh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 am

I prefer to make my own :)
but when I can't I use the Low Sodium Better Than Boullion (500mg per serving, compared to original @ 680mg, & Organic @ 700mg) a serving is 1tsp, and I use approx 1.5 tsp in a batch, (depending on what i add in the treats like cheese & such) a batch is roughly 3-4lbs. Tried minimizing salt as much as possible.
Fáelan Liannáe Leagadh

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:19 am

LiannaeLeagadh wrote:I prefer to make my own :)
but when I can't I use the Low Sodium Better Than Boullion (500mg per serving, compared to original @ 680mg, & Organic @ 700mg) a serving is 1tsp, and I use approx 1.5 tsp in a batch, (depending on what i add in the treats like cheese & such) a batch is roughly 3-4lbs. Tried minimizing salt as much as possible.
Yep. I try to minimize or eliminate preservatives, salt, sugar...all the bad stuff for dogs. ;) I made a huge batch of sweet potato/peanut butter treats a month ago...forgot to take pics and post. :oops:

There will be another opportunity next time as Abby is running out of treats again after some belated Christimas/New Year treats were sent to some canine friends of mine (and hers).

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:00 am

Not exactly a 'home made' treat question :oops: But it's not shop bought :D

I have been trying to dehydrate chicken into healthy treats for a replacement to shop bought... But i absolutely suck at it. My dehydrator has been sat doing nothing for a month so i figured it was time to seek ideas on how others do it...

Mine either end up still seeping liquid (not visible to the eye but it picks up on kitchen towel) or really brittle with sharp edges. I started by dicing chicken but it would shrink to more or less nothing then i tried cutting strips and got the aforementioned results... I've tried from cooked, partially cooked and raw...

Average dehydration time is about 8 hours.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi Terri,

You can also try fridge drying the treats. Here's a photo tutorial from the Raw Chat group on FB https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 368&type=1

If for some reason it's not working, the instructions are below:

1. I start with a frozen slice of heart (uncooked), just my preference; any firm lean meat will do. Slicing it frozen is much easier. Remove any excess fat.
2. Arrange on a plate or flat surface and leave them in the fridge for a couple of days. Do not cover. Less than 24 hours in the fridge, and they're kind of spongy feeling, not wet, but not dry either. You can see the moisture loss and smaller size already.
3. By day 3 the pieces should be dry to the touch, but still a bit of give when you squeeze.
4. Day 4 they should be completely dried and ready to feed.

Obviously this takes quite a bit more time than a dehydrator, but it works really well, is not messy at all, doesn't require much work, and the dogs go nuts for it.

Another option is to try dehydrating a veggie--my girls love dried sweet potato recipe that I got from this blog http://pitlandia.blogspot.com/2013/03/p ... o-dog.html

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks, i'll try that too :D

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Will definitely have to give that a try :)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:40 am

^ 'tis stuff for making pupsicles because it is waaaay too HOT outside. :D There's supposed to be cinnamon there too...forgot it. lol. Oh, and the 'manpower' behind the whole thing, my KitchenAid mixer, is also not shown. (With whisk attachment, it only takes about 10min or so to whip up a batch.)

I have a cute silicon ice cube mold for this. Can't wait to use it! It's the freezing part that takes eons. :\ Next weekend is cookie baking time. Maybe I can make Abby a ice cream sandwich out of all this stuff...

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:54 am

Abby can haz pupsicles. :D First batch of this summer...I'll be using peanut butter, applesauce and yogurt for the next batch sometime this week. Bought too much yogurt and applesauce. lol.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:49 pm

They are cute :) i must get some cute ice cube mold's...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Those are adorable!!! I'm going to try throwing together some pupsicles this summer!

In a moment of insanity I splurged and ordered these "ice creams" for the girls from Aarfscarf. They loved them, and now I'm pretty sure they'll turn their noses up at anything that isn't "gouda burger" flavored. :lol:

Aarfscarf's blog has some great homemade treat recipes on it.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:32 pm

iamnic wrote:Those are adorable!!! I'm going to try throwing together some pupsicles this summer!

In a moment of insanity I splurged and ordered these "ice creams" for the girls from Aarfscarf. They loved them, and now I'm pretty sure they'll turn their noses up at anything that isn't "gouda burger" flavored. :lol:

Aarfscarf's blog has some great homemade treat recipes on it.
Cool blog. Thanks for sharing. :) The base ingredient is just plain yogurt... Very easy to make. I just add in different proportions to get the right consistency and freeze. Though, it's OK if it's liquid-ey...it gets frozen anyway. lol. I used more unsweetened applesauce in this batch though, which is why it was very liquid-ey. But it counteracted the slight bitterness of the cinnamon and pumpkin rather well. Personally, I like to use ingredients that are closest to its raw form. i.e. the unsweetened applesauce only has organic apples and ascorbic acid (vitamin c). no sugar. :) Pumpkin puree is only pumpkin. Ultimately, it's all up to your personal preference...I just like to use organic ingredients. (Even though I eat super processed stuff.)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:52 pm

It's a (dog) cookie log. 8-)

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Lucky puppy! What's in it?

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:10 am

iamnic wrote:Lucky puppy! What's in it?
LOVE. <3 :lol:

They're for a special someone, so I can't disclose any more info... I'll PM you. ;)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:26 am

Abby has to be kept crated while I bake cookies for her...why? It will likely result in (my) death by dog drool...in the kitchen. A most disastrous end, I assure you. ;)
http://oi40.tinypic.com/2r24pqx.jpg

COOKIES!!! Excuse the poor background - it's my countertop. 8-)
http://oi40.tinypic.com/j9rnmv.jpg

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:37 am

Awe, Abby's sad face. Ulric has started drooling as well, but only before he gets to eat his food (the amount seems to of increased in the last couple months), I always make him wait a little longer while the bowl is in front of him.

Those treats look yummy cute!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:41 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:Awe, Abby's sad face. Ulric has started drooling as well, but only before he gets to eat his food (the amount seems to of increased in the last couple months), I always make him wait a little longer while the bowl is in front of him.

Those treats look yummy cute!
lol. Poor Ulric. Is he back on solid food now? How's he doing?

There was one time I put a cookie on Abby's paw and made her wait. I went to answer the phone and completely forgot about her until I needed to get something to drink in the kitchen. Guess what I found... :roll: But I was very proud of my baby girl - she didn't eat the cookie until I said so...10 minutes later. :lol:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 am

arianwenarie wrote:lol. Poor Ulric. Is he back on solid food now? How's he doing?
He is back on solid food now, nothing added :) Might be why he is drooling even more now. He is doing great, as goofy as ever and really wants to play with the others. Poor boy, vet said no rough playing or going for a run till a month after his stitches removed (Oct. 28).
arianwenarie wrote:There was one time I put a cookie on Abby's paw and made her wait. I went to answer the phone and completely forgot about her until I needed to get something to drink in the kitchen. Guess what I found... :roll: But I was very proud of my baby girl - she didn't eat the cookie until I said so...10 minutes later. :lol:
:lol: What a good girl! Definitely would of been gone with anyone of our pack!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Dragging this thread back out of the pit of dead threads...lol.

I have been searching for grain-free limited ingredient dog cake recipes for a while now and I finally found a couple today. Whoohoo! Unfortunately, Abby's guesstimated bday was on the 3rd. Too late for bday cake, but who said its ever too late for cake? Heh.

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:25 pm

It's never too late for bday cake!! Hope you post pics! :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Pics and recipes! :)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:19 pm

First, I gotta fix my mixer...one of the gears broke.. :oops: there will definitely be pics. :)

Dixonlync
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Homemade Treats

Post by Dixonlync » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:00 pm

Love homemade treats So healthy and much more economical. I just freeze what I cant use in time. They lasts months even with 4 dogs.

mammamiller7
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by mammamiller7 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:57 am

I can't wait to try this recipe for my "granddog".
Regarding the probiotics, I'm pretty sure 350 is hot enough to kill them. The vets in my area recommend raw goat's milk for some good probiotics, or to give dogs "doggy" probiotics.

iamnic wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:50 am
Just thought I would share this super easy pumpkin treat I made this past weekend. The girls love it, and its nice to know exactly what is going into them. The pumpkin can help with digestion issues and sloppy motions, and the yogurt provides some good probiotics. Also, I used brown rice flour which not only gave the treat a nice crunch but is also great for pups with wheat sensitivities.

Naima & Kona's Autumn Pumpkin Treats

2 eggs
1/2 can of canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin filling)
4 tbsp nonfat yogurt (we used nonfat Greek yogurt)
2 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 tbsp cinnamon(optional)
dash of salt

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, yogurt, cinnamon, salt, and flour until you make a stiff, dry dough. It sometimes helps to mix in the flour gradually.

3. Depending on your preference, you can roll the dough 1/4 inch thick and use a cookie cutter for fun shapes. Another option is to roll the dough into 1/2 inch balls. Place shapes/balls onto a cookie sheet--no need to grease it beforehand.

4. Bake 20 minutes, flip the treats, and bake an additional 15 minutes.

I ended up doing a combination of shapes and the balls, and ended up decorating the balls with a checkered pattern I achieved with a fork. You can do this be pushing the flat side of the fork prongs in perpendicular patterns and flattening the ball a bit. These treats offer a lot of flexibility for all of you culinary artists out there--I think next time I'll try adding in peanut butter and maybe some bits of carrot. Either way, the treats have been a hit with the girls :)

The girls just about passed out in anticipation for the treats. Well. Naima did at least.