Raw Recipes

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Raw Recipes

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:44 am

Who here feeds a raw (BARF) diet?

Does anyone cook for their dogs?

Please share your favorite recipes! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Raw Recipes

Post by Misaya » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:54 pm

As you may have read on previous Tam forums, I feed RMB (raw meaty bones). Meat, bones, offal, eggs, fish (mostly tinned as they just want to roll in raw fish!) and salmon oil. No fruit or veggies. It is all about feeding them as they would eat in the wild.

Ayasca was on Beta Large Puppy when I got him and he was wired to the moon. I wouldnt blame it on too much protein as rmb is probably high protein, but on the cereal, grain and whatever other crap they put in. Then went to Barf and from there to RMB. Far too much faffing about with Barf. I was using Ian Billinghurst's books, but didnt like the fact that in his later books he changed things obviously to make it more user friendly and with the propect of being able to produce it commercially. We switched Mischa to RMB as soon as we got her.

Anyway, the meat is all human grade and they do very well on this diet :) If anyone is interested, Tom Lonsdale has a very good book, "Work Wonders" (cant remember the name of his other one). There are very good forums on Yahoo as well as a facebook group and there is also the UKRMB site http://www.ukrmb.co.uk/

Oh well, that's my tuppence worth :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Joswolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Joswolf » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:40 pm

For the wolves it's very raw meat.

Jos

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Stunning photos :) What kinds of meat do you feed and where do you get it from?
- Fiona -

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Great photos! Also, how often do you feed them? Is it every day or every other day or just one big carcass per week?
I'm always curious to learn about feeding captive wolves! :D

Joswolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Joswolf » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:58 pm

I feed every other day mostly. Depends... the old wolf doesn't eat much and eats 2 or 3 times a week. It also depends on what i feed. Mostly rabbits but sometimes sheep or deer and in the winter they get more. In summertime they need a bit less about 2 kilos a day for the young ones. In summertime i cannot let meat lay around because of the temperature outside. But i feed what i can get. :)
Jos

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:24 pm

Misaya wrote: No fruit or veggies.
Can you explain why this is? Thanks so much!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:07 pm

I suppose because it is modelled on what they would eat in the wild. They might of course eat a bit of fruit but it is unlikely that they would eat vegetables. I believe they have trouble breaking down vegetables which is why the BARF diet I followed at first recommended putting them through a juicer and feeding the pulp. The RMB diet doesnt say you absolutely cant feed them fruit or veg (in small amounts) but that there is no dietary need. I'm not saying that dogs who do eat these dont do ok on them, but I dont believe there is any need for them and mine dont particularly care for them anyway.

Ayasca is four now and probably has been on this diet for about three years. He is totally fit and healthy whereas before he was inclined to have bowel problems on and off. Mischa also does fine.

I'm not very good at explaining things, but Tom Lonsdale's book is very informative and so is the UKRMB site. There actually are a large number of people who feed their dogs this way and have been doing so for years.

I found out recently that a lot of the packs of foxhounds are fed raw meat and actually have their own fleshhouses at their kennels (not that I'm condoning fox hunting in anyway, just thought this was interesting as they are required to run for miles at a time). They have arrangements with farmers where they collect their fallen stock to feed the hounds.

Hope this helps :)
- Fiona -

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:56 pm

I feed fruit and vegetables to my dogs, but only in moderation and only every once-in-a-while. They LOVE carrots, broccoli, apples, banana slices, etc. While it may not be necessary, I don't think it does them any harm and I think it also provides alternative vitamins and minerals that they wouldn't necessarily get in an all-meat diet. They seem to enjoy a variety of foods (along with frozen fish and tinned sardines) so I like to keep things interesting for them. (Again, with moderation... too much of these rich foods will cause diarrhea.) In the wild, I've seen wolves chewing on grass and I expect they'd also eat tubers / shoots of some plants (wild potatoes, berries, mushrooms, etc). I don't think they eat 100% meat... but probably more like 95-98%... the rest would be fish and fruits / vegetables.

http://www.wolfcountry.net/information/WolfPrey.html

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Yes, of course--the key is moderation! If I gave my dogs only fruit and veggies I'd hate to see the result coming out the other end! Yikes!

Wild dogs are omnivores, not strictly carnivores. I have seen this misunderstanding in many books on dog diets. Cats are carnivores. Dogs will eat anything...mainly a diet based on animal flesh, but do rely on other things as well. This is why Canidae is so successful: it's much better to be a generalist for your food source than to rely on only one or a few things. (And conversely, why we see a decline in many if not most wild cat populations.) During the winter here, Eastern coyotes gorge on bayberries, to the point where their scat looks like bear shit. We've found all kinds of crazy things doing coyote scat analysis: plants, insects, feathers, fawn hoof, sand, hair of just about every animal in the vacinity, tiny toe bones of red squirrels---gross but still very interesting. Just like an owl pellet. mmmm....

I've read Tom Lonsdale's book--and own a copy. I still hesitate to feed raw--just cook the meat instead. My husband found worms in the flesh of the deer meat we have--not sure what kind--skipped the parasite class in college...yuck! (long, very thin white worms in the blood vessels)

I know raw can be fed successfully--I'm just too chicken to try it. I'll just cook for them ;)

I think wolves and wild dogs in general get vegetative matter into their diet secondhand--from the innards of deer, rabbits, etc. But will eat anything if they are hungry. One farmer had a problem with coyotes eating all of his watermelons! haha!

But yes, I agree that getting vitamins and minerals from food sources such as fruits and veggies is a good thing. Certainly would be better than providing it to them in the form of a pill.

Just my two cents :D

Oh--and one dumb question: do you have to worm your dogs regularly because you feed raw? (please don't throw things at me...)
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Joswolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Joswolf » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Wolves do not need fruit they eat it because it tastes good. They eat it only one month of the year simply because the rest of the year there is none. They cannot digest it because they have no enzymes in their saliva like we do. You would have to squish it or cook before they can get the vitamins. Wolves therefore eat ruminants (like cow or deer) who does if for them. The things they need are in tripe(pens).

My wolf eat fruits that they find in some time in the summer.
But they eat whole animals who eat the plants, so they eat vegetarian meat :lol: :lol:

So dogs do not eat plants or need it. Cats eat flesh and wolves eat the whole prey. Dogs are not omnivore like us or like a pic who can survive on starch they put it in dogfood but they don't digest and shit out. Simply because they do not have the enzymes. In the stomach of the cow it is prepared but you get the same result by cooking or stamping the stuff or chewing on it.

As they have no enzymes they also cannot get tooth decay.

Jos

Joswolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Joswolf » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:30 am

And they like fisch.
Old Lupi, he is very fond of fisch.
Jos

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:53 am

All very interesting particuarly what the wolves eat. I have always fed my dogs(well for eleven years since I had my first!) on a raw diet based on the billinghurst books. I have adapted it somewhat over the years to allow for delicate tummies , greedy dogs etc but generally have found it great and have been pleased with the hip scores I have had from my golden retrievers as I have said in the hip testing thread.

Obviously Sasha is fed this diet and I think it suits her better than any dog I have had.She has raw meat(chicken,beef,lamb and tripe), tinned fish , raw egg a few times a week,raw bones when I can get them :roll: ,a little sprinkle of lilys organic complete food just incase I have missed anything , an organic cereal mixer called wholebake which is designed to go along side a barf diet and is very high calorie which Sasha needs , and occasional fruit left over from my little girl,veggies leftover , toast and honey.... the key I think is some variety and finding what suits your dog especially when they are as fussy as Sasha :lol:
Oh and I almost forgot she has chicken wings every day and loves them!!

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Oh--and one dumb question: do you have to worm your dogs regularly because you feed raw? (please don't throw things at me...)
I dont think it is a dumb question at all, but no, I dont worm them often. I'm not really keen on using a lot of chemicals on them. I have wormed the cats more often probably, as one had an infestation when she came back from being AWOL for about 4 months.

Here's a link to some info from a raw feeding site re parasites.

http://rawfed.com/myths/parasites.html

You might like to check out the rest of the site, as it addresses a lot of the commonly held beliefs re raw feeding.

What I realise I havent mentioned and should have, but Jos did touch on, is that this diet should keep their teeth and gums clean without the need for any artificial aids. Infected gums can lead to serious medical problems and animals can be very stoical and in a lot of pain before you even realise anything is wrong. (Unless of course it is Ayasca, who is a big wuss :lol:)
- Fiona -

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:32 am

I'm just curious, those of you who feed raw: WHERE do you do it? this might seem like a silly question but I guess I don't really have any idea.... do you just put the raw food in a normal food bowl? does it get messy? do the dogs themselves get messy? do you worry about transfer of germs like salmonella from dog to whatever surfaces it touches? maybe I'm just being germophobic about this?
sorry for the odd questions!!! :oops: thanks!

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:41 pm

One eats on the doormat in the kitchen at the backdoor and one eats on their mat in front of the fire. We usually put it in their bowls but they usually pull it out and just eat it from the mat. They don't make much mess or get in any mess at all. No worries about salmonella. It is meat for human consumption so it is just like handling our food (except we are more or less vegetarian). Some people feed them on an old towel or similar so it is easy to wash and they do seem to like to eat in the same spot.
- Fiona -

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:54 pm

I normally put the meat into their bowls but, as Fiona said, they usually pull it out and take it off to eat "in peace" - especially if it's a meaty bone. They are usually quite messy AS they are eating but they lick everything up until not a trace remains. We have wood floors so it's very easy to mop / clean. I definitely don't recommend feeding them meaty bones / bloody meat if you have exquisite white carpets... ;)

Also, I avoid feeding them outdoors because they usually drop it in the dirt and it gets all icky: then they end up eating mud. They also have a tendency to bury what they don't eat to dig it up later... so I prefer to feed them indoors and throw away any leftovers (though they usually eat the lot). :)

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:30 am

cool thanks! good to know

malamutemick
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by malamutemick » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:06 am

We Feed A Mixture Of Complete Food (Fish4dogs) & Raw Chicken Wings With The Odd Bit Of Steak Or Pork Ribs For A Bit Of Variation, They Also Have Dried Tripe Sticks In The Mornings.We Dont Feed Any Fruit Or Veg As I Dont Think They Need This & Over Time We Have Found This To Work Quite Well For The Mals As Denzel Had Terrible Trouble With A Sensitive Stomach When He Was A Puppy,But All Ok Now :D

Emielle
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Emielle » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Misaya, thanks a million for that website. It was ridiculously enlightening, and I'm going to have to convince my parents to get our kitten and dog on RMB diets. I always thought dog breath was a common and normal thing, but apparently not. :0 At least any carnivores I get in the future definitely won't get commercial food, now I know this.

Thanks, great thread!
Email: emielleface@gmail.com

JonathanJ
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JonathanJ » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Hello all,

There is another option especially for those who like ElkRiver and I, live a rural environment. Hunting.....Deer, Elk (no elk here) etc.

With Fall coming, hunting season is just around the corner. Unfortunately, many of the hunters here aren't subsistence but rather trophy hunters. While I don't agree with hunting for trophies alone, the loss of the animal to the environment can offer an opportunity for those who wish to feed raw and wild. By reclaiming and using the hunter's kills, it reduces the number of scavengers in our area and protects the environment from road side castoffs and the smell and mess that go with it.

It's an option that I plan on looking into this winter. On the flip side, if one is so inclined, it also allows for hides for tanning (if your into that sort of thing)
What's in the doggy bag?

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Interesting article re raw feeding in today's Sunday Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -dogs.html
- Fiona -

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:55 pm

wow, i LOVED that article! ive been thinking about a raw food diet for my future pets (and my current kitty) but now im totally convinced. im gonna try to get my mom to switch our Rorri over too. She often will go almost the whole day without eating and throws up a lot, maybe this can help.... thanks for sharing that!!!

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 am

well i have been doing a lot of reading about raw food diets and i figured i would put my links together so anyone else looking for Raw Food info wouldnt have to spend as much time as i did looking all over the internet!
also, if anyone finds anything wildly wrong (or right?) on any of these websites it might be interesting to know!
i either found a small part of ALL of these websites useful:

Joswolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Joswolf » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:53 am

I find the explenation of the digestive system very good. I tryed to explain the same but these explenations are better to read and understand.
Jos

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:41 am

We feed a combination of kibble and Raw. Since adding raw we have noticed that the dogs have better coats, they lost fat and gained muscle and are more playful (more energy). Their stool is also better...again the conversation turns to poop :P
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Yes their poop is better.........Still poop though

But the dogs do look good. The Lab looks like a tank (See my photo)

shelbers91
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by shelbers91 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:28 pm

I don't have a Tamaskan yet, but a Shih-Apso, and I have had her on a raw diet since i fostered her from the shelter. She gained good weight over the past few months. She was almost emaciated.. But I feed her Ground chuck, ground venison, chicken, and i get whole rabbits that I ground bone and all because she wouldnt eat the bone in time. I am hoping to get to the elk farm soon. With the ground meat that doesnt have bones, i powder cuttle bone for calcium suppliment and every so often mix in veggies, carrots, peas, green beans, and brocolli mostly. Since shes a smaller dog she usually gets a raw beaten egg over a few days once a month, instead of once a week like large dogs can get.

As far as germs go, i freeze all meat for at least 10days before use to kill bacteria. though i dont kiss her mouth, she has never been a licking kind of dog.

She's been doing good on the raw diet and her poops are usually the same, hardly ever runny.

I'll probably give some fruit sparcely if i get to the store to buy some lol I figure its good for other vitamins and i love a variety of flavors and I'm sure my dog does too :)

though i do have kibble in case there is a rush and i need to feed her quickly i mix the meat with it but its a more meat to kibble ratio, or if I'm not home, my parents sometime mix meat with kibble. But i'm not a fan of commercial dog food, fillers and less nutrients :/

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:40 am

In addition to the kibble blend diet I adopted from the recommendation of a good friend who's a leading Wolf Dog expert, I integrate one (or two) raw chicken wings every day, this breed, in particular, seems to need the qualities of raw bone for their digestive system. I also give them a few ounces of Activia brand yogurt (normally the vanilla). In the summer, I give them watermellon and in the fall, pumpkin (but only as special treats ;) ) I understand that dried sweet potato (w/o the skin) is a treat in its self, but havn't used it .....

Oh, and no matter where I feed the raw chicken, they'll will take it somewhere to crunch it up, usually on opposite sides of the house HA!
"I like my dogs more than most people"

SilverGhost
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SilverGhost » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:00 pm

do your dogs have problems with poop after eating bones?
my one had a cowbone and after that he had some kind of "bone-poop":-/
he had big problems and pain in his stomach...

we feed kibble (orijen or acana) + cottage cheese in the morning and raw meat + cottage cheese in the afternoon;)
dog and cat love it;)

I'd like to feed chickenwings too, but I'm scared about the chicken bones... brcause they could splinter and make injure him (he is a small terrier). what do you think about it?;)

malamutemick
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by malamutemick » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Antaris79 wrote:do your dogs have problems with poop after eating bones?
my one had a cowbone and after that he had some kind of "bone-poop":-/
he had big problems and pain in his stomach...

we feed kibble (orijen or acana) + cottage cheese in the morning and raw meat + cottage cheese in the afternoon;)
dog and cat love it;)

I'd like to feed chicken wings too, but I'm scared about the chicken bones... brcause they could splinter and make injure him (he is a small terrier). what do you think about it?;)
Raw Chicken Bones Don't Splinter, Cooked Bones Will. Start Your Dog Of With Small Chicken Wing Should Be Fine. Some Times You Will See Small Pieces Of Bone In The Poo This Is Normal Its Just What They Havent Digested :D

SilverGhost
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SilverGhost » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:51 pm

hey big thanks to your reply;)
I wasn't sure about the bones:-)
good to know !
will buy some wings for the weekend;)

malamutemick
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by malamutemick » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Antaris79 wrote:hey big thanks to your reply;)
I wasn't sure about the bones:-)
good to know !
will buy some wings for the weekend;)
Great They Are Much Better For Them & They Love Them :D We Looked Into Feeding BARF But It Is Messy, So We Feed A Combo Of Complete Food , Chicken Wings,Tripe Sticks With The Odd Bit Of Steak Or Pork Ribs For Variety.You Can Buy Chicken Wings Frozen For Dogs, We Just Get Them From Tescos Human Grade :D

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:47 pm

I feed chicken wings to my pups.. they are great and the adults get them as a treat. I also feed drumsticks to the adults along with chicken quarters...i.e. bbq chicken portions. They get one each. Wings.. adults get 4 each and pups get one to two depending on size of pup. I love to see the pups gorging on the wings ;) They are also great for my bitches in whelp and after birthing.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm

malamutemick wrote:Some Times You Will See Small Pieces Of Bone In The Poo This Is Normal Its Just What They Havent Digested :D
Actually, after a while their stomach acids get stronger so they are able to digest the bone. At least that's how it works with totally raw fed dogs. Ours never have bone in their poo now. Not sure if it is the same if you are mixing raw with kibble though.
- Fiona -

SilverGhost
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SilverGhost » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:42 pm

to your pups, too?
cool, then I really, really havn't to be scared about splinters;)
currently I feed just raw beef, sometimes a few pieces of red peppers,
carrots, apple, etc. and much of cottage cheese, because it is substantial without many calories and they (lucky and the cat) love it;)
since lucky is castrated he is soooo hungry...;)))

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Blustag wrote:I feed chicken wings to my pups.. they are great and the adults get them as a treat. I also feed drumsticks to the adults along with chicken quarters...i.e. bbq chicken portions. They get one each. Wings.. adults get 4 each and pups get one to two depending on size of pup. I love to see the pups gorging on the wings ;) They are also great for my bitches in whelp and after birthing.
Nice to hear that you feed the dogs and the pups raw meat! Our dog also eats raw meat, he looks very good and all my future dogs will eat raw meat, I love it and the dogs love it too! :D It's nice to hear that your puppies are used to eat raw, when we get our Tamaskan, she will get a entirely raw diet. ;)

I do not have recipes, but I do have a link were you can calculte what percentages your dog need with examples of meat you can give them. It is a Dutch site, but maybe other people can use it too, or else I can translate. ;) Menu Gelukkig Dier

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:35 am

I'm pretty excited to see that Pet Center in Croatia now stocks frozen BARF!! :D
It's not exactly cheap at 12.25 kuna (1.6 euros / $2.2) per each 500g (half kilo) packet but it's good quality and the dogs love it, so they've been getting it occasionally to compliment their Orijen kibble diet (on alternating days... never raw and kibble on the same day).
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Cow bones, especially from the legs, are really hard. Dogs shouldn't eat it as a meal because they are to hard and bad for their teeth and difficult to digest. They are more suitable for recreation, if your dog knows how to eat them and is not to greedy. If you want to feed bones as a meal you can start with softer bones, like chicken/duck wings or necks. And after that the dog can learn to chew harder bones, like goat ribs, chicken/duck carcas and stuff like that. It's better to start with young animals because their bones are softer. Usually chickens don't get really old before they are slaughtered, so any dog can start with chicken. And not all dogs like it, but fish is also great. When you give them whole fish you know for sure that the dog will get everything he needs; bone, organ and meat. And I feed my dog totally raw so I only use kibble as a treat when I train him, but I believe that Acana/Orijen is the best kibble there is. But it's a lot cheaper for me to feed him raw then to give him Orijen. It's so expensive!

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Gaby wrote:Cow bones, especially from the legs, are really hard. Dogs shouldn't eat it as a meal because they are to hard and bad for their teeth and difficult to digest. They are more suitable for recreation, if your dog knows how to eat them and is not to greedy. If you want to feed bones as a meal you can start with softer bones, like chicken/duck wings or necks. And after that the dog can learn to chew harder bones, like goat ribs, chicken/duck carcas and stuff like that. It's better to start with young animals because their bones are softer. Usually chickens don't get really old before they are slaughtered, so any dog can start with chicken. And not all dogs like it, but fish is also great. When you give them whole fish you know for sure that the dog will get everything he needs; bone, organ and meat. And I feed my dog totally raw so I only use kibble as a treat when I train him, but I believe that Acana/Orijen is the best kibble there is. But it's a lot cheaper for me to feed him raw then to give him Orijen. It's so expensive!
Isn't there a huge risk of fish or chicken bones becoming lodged in the dog's throat?
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Onarian wrote:Isn't there a huge risk of fish or chicken bones becoming lodged in the dog's throat?
Good question. ;) If the bones are raw then there is no risk at all. If they are raw you can bend them with your hands, they are very flexible. But if they are heated, than you must not give them to your dog, because they can cause a lot of damage. Then they can become lodged in the dog's throat. And if they break, they are very sharp, but only if they are cooked or baked! If your dog is very greedy, you can teach him to eat raw meat when you hold the meat in your hand and let him chew of bits by bits. If your dog is greedy because he gets his food with another dog around, you can feed them apart. And if a dog can't digest the bones, he will puke the bones out and normally he will eat it again and usually they can digest it then. Dogs are filthy animals. :lol: My dog is eating raw meat for over two years and I have never had a problem. Non of my friends who feed their dogs raw meat had problems. ;) But you do have to teach your dog how to eat raw meat. ;)

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 pm

Ah, hah! That explains it. So we can fairly safely allow the dogs to crunch down on bones from raw chicken, fish and younger quadrupeds so long as the bones are completely uncooked. Larger bones are bad for their teeth, jaws and digestive systems. Cooked bones can get caught and require emergency surgery.

A local pet store that specializes in dog products sells 4 or 5 inch (~10cm) boiled and cleaned cow bones to use as toys. The store owner told me that you can either use them for holding treats, e.g. put a treat where the marrow used to be and let your dog spend a half hour working to get it out. Or as a treat them self. Any opinions?
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Onarian wrote:A local pet store that specializes in dog products sells 4 or 5 inch (~10cm) boiled and cleaned cow bones to use as toys. The store owner told me that you can either use them for holding treats, e.g. put a treat where the marrow used to be and let your dog spend a half hour working to get it out. Or as a treat them self. Any opinions?
I wouldn't give those cooked cow bones to my dogs :?

We feed our dogs only raw meat and bones, eggs, fruit, yogurt and sometimes a very little bit of fresh garlic. We feed them different kinds of meat: Rabbit, cow, duck, chicken, turkey, pheasant, goat, sometimes sheep, horse and fish.
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:47 am

Onarian wrote:A local pet store that specializes in dog products sells 4 or 5 inch (~10cm) boiled and cleaned cow bones to use as toys. The store owner told me that you can either use them for holding treats, e.g. put a treat where the marrow used to be and let your dog spend a half hour working to get it out. Or as a treat them self. Any opinions?
I wouldnt buy these. If they are boiled and cleaned they wouldnt be much of a treat as they enjoy stripping the bits of meat and sinew etc off bones. Kongs and similar toys can be used for stuffing with treats if required.
- Fiona -

rdecheno
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rdecheno » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:27 pm

a friend of mine did a wolf study for his theisis from 1994 to 1997 on five different wolf pack in the lake superior area the vast majority of diet was moose in winter beaver in summer they also ate small amounts of black bear coyote rabbit and mice very little berries or vegitation

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:50 am

rdecheno wrote:very little berries or vegitation
A lot of people believe wolves (and dogs) are omnivores, but personally I am with those who believe them to be carnivores. Wolves may eat some berries but because they like the taste not because they require them. Our dogs only have meat, bone and organs with a couple of eggs and some tinned fish.

Some info below on the eating of stomach contents, which many believe is common wolf behaviour:

http://www.rawfed.com/myths/stomachcontents.html
- Fiona -

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:19 am

while i was reading wolves at our door i believe they mentioned their wolves ate flowers (bright stars or something like that :?: ) and they thought it was simply because they enjoyed the taste.
they also mentioned that wolves are opportunists and would gladly take an old carcass over chasing down a fresh meal.

back to the topic though- while i dont think that having vegetables/rice/etc is a super vital part of a raw diet (i think variety of meat is more important) i dont think i could hurt, especially if the dog enjoys the taste.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 am

Yes, we hunt for our dogs and cook the venison for them. Freyja ADORES broccoli--and so we steam that, and then put it in the food processor. We also give cooked sweet potato. Viola! Doggie Birthday Dinner!

We have a whole freezer full of venison as our whole family hunts. We get what they don't want, plus what we get. Ben and I got a 200 pound buck this past season. Very healthy and no hormones like factory farm-raised cows. :)

I would feed other game if I had time to go get it for them. Who wants to spend a whole day in the field for a 20 pound turkey? Or a 2 pound grouse? Too much work. I'll take the deer instead :)

We also give eggs, turkey (leftover from thanksgiving), yogurt, honey, molasses, bananas, apples, oranges, grapefruit (yes, I know it's odd that our dogs will eat citrus...but hey--if they like it than a little bit won't hurt), and of course the almighty peanut butter. We also feed Taste of the Wild or Grandma Maes kibble. I'd like to get away from kibble but my life is insane at the moment...
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

swake
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by swake » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:40 am

New here
My sister did the raw diet and it was a great out come. Her 7 dogs looked great and much more healthy then they have ever been.
I would love to get my old bullmastiff back on but price is up there unless you are into bulk buying.

I remember making it but cant recommend how much to give and so on. Though what is recommended from many pit bull breeders (which my sister was going to do but went into american bullies) was if you are going to feed your dogs kibble, then give them raw large bones. It helps with cleaning their teeth they can chew every day. Other wise you have to give them greenies or something else that can raise in price, or brush their teeth daily. Other wise you might as well not brush as all.
my old butcher shop closed up so we no longer get any bones but we are looking around. Some places that throws them out will give them away or at a very low price
LuLu has been missing for about 6 months. lost in my area and it hits close to home, though animals have been found across the world. So if you have seen this dog please let one of these people know
http://www.facebook.com/HelpFindLulu

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:24 am

swake wrote:New here
My sister did the raw diet and it was a great out come. Her 7 dogs looked great and much more healthy then they have ever been.
I would love to get my old bullmastiff back on but price is up there unless you are into bulk buying.

I remember making it but cant recommend how much to give and so on. Though what is recommended from many pit bull breeders (which my sister was going to do but went into american bullies) was if you are going to feed your dogs kibble, then give them raw large bones. It helps with cleaning their teeth they can chew every day. Other wise you have to give them greenies or something else that can raise in price, or brush their teeth daily. Other wise you might as well not brush as all.
my old butcher shop closed up so we no longer get any bones but we are looking around. Some places that throws them out will give them away or at a very low price

Be carful about what bones you are giving... weight bearing bones can wear dogs teeth down to nothing.