An Old Article of the TDR Founders While Living in Finland

A place to share magazine articles, adverts, films, TV-shows, and music videos that feature Tamaskan Dogs!
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

An Old Article of the TDR Founders While Living in Finland

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Hey Everyone!
For those of you interested in the article about Lynn and Jennie during their time in Kylämä, Tuuli has kindly translated it out for everyone. I'm sharing what she sent to me although I admit that I did slightly edited a few confusing sentences (just some errors in translation) and "spelling mistakes" on it.

Sorry for playing "grammar police", Tuuli, but I felt that I just had to fix some kinks ;)
Overall, I kept most of the article the way it is and just want to say thank you to Tuuli VERY MUCH for the initial translations. :D

This is an article of the Tamaskan breed in the early days when the founders went to Lapland.
Lynn and Jennie in Finland.JPG
Article by: Kartriina Saukkonen
Translated by: Tuuli Salmi
Edited by: Lucas Fong

Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Dog Family Enjoys the Peace of Nature

The Sharkey family moved from England to Kylämä (Kylämä is a small village in Kuhmoinen, a municipality of Finland)

When passing a house along Kelkantie road an excited barking and howling noise can be heard. A few dozen dogs in their pens welcoming the visitors. "Some people consider it strange that we have so many dogs", Lynn Sharkey explains. "People can have as many as 50 dogs back in England. We love dogs and have always had them".

Lynn, her daughter Jennie, and grandson Finley moved to the Kelkantie road in Kylämä less than a year ago from near Chester in England.

Wolf Look-alike Working Dogs

Sharkey has Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes and wolfy looking Tamaskan dogs. Despite of their fierce appearance the Tamaskan dogs are friendly. They greet visitors with tails wagging, sit to be petted for a while and then lay down. "They look like wolves but are not wolves," Lynn Sharkey explains. "Tamaskan comes from a North American Inuit word 'Tamaska' meaning 'mighty wolf'. The breed has been developed in Finland for the purpose of creating a working type and sled-pulling type dog."

The Tamaskan originates from sled dogs brought to Europe from the USA. These dogs were later bred with Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes and German Shepherds. The goal was to create a wolf-like looking dog with the working type instinct. Later on some wolfish looking sled dogs were added to improve the breed.

"The Tamaskan is suitable for all kinds of work and it is a very friendly dog. It gets along with children and other animals. Our dogs enjoy being with Finley. The Tamaskans are not aggressive and they are not suitable as guard dogs", Lynn explains.

There are Tamaskan dogs in many other countries, in addition to Finland they are found in the US, Sweden, England and the Netherlands.

Fascination in Sled Rides

The Sharkeys take their dogs to dog shows and do a lot of other things with them, too. They especially enjoy mushing. It was indeed the snow here that drew the family to Finland, it makes mushing possible.

"A friend told me that this house was for sale. We heard that this was a nice and quiet place surrounded by woods. We visited and fell in love with the place. The neighbours don't live too close so the dogs do not cause disturbance to them. Jämsä, Lahti and Tampere are a short drive away. It is not easy finding a job though", Lynn Sharkey explains.

Their summer was spent building compounds for the dogs, and that was plenty of work for two women.

"The people here are lovely and very friendly. Our neighbours came to visit on Finley’s birthday and even brought him a bobsled as a present. Some moose hunters have also been kind and have brought moose bones for our dogs", the Sharkeys said.

They haven’t always found a common language with the neighbours and acquaintances but they are trying.

"Finnish is a difficult language but we are trying our best to learn it," the Sharkeys told.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: An Old Article of the TDR Founders While Living in Finla

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:44 pm

I could swear Jennie looks taller there :?

Thanks Lucas (and Tuuli :D )

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 pm

TerriHolt wrote:I could swear Jennie looks taller there :?
look at the feet, they are standing on an uneven piece of ground
>> Nino <<

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:57 pm

:lol:
Yeah I noticed that too. Didn't think it was worth noting though. But Jennie IS pretty tall herself so it doesn't surprise me :D

Politics aside this is a nice article as it gives a little bit of a glance into the past when the breed was newer and Banjo is so cute! ♥

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Nino wrote:
look at the feet, they are standing on an uneven piece of ground

Ohhh yeah :? So they are :oops: :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein