Searching

Comments and suggestions concerning the forum; a place to report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Searching

Post by Nino » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:33 pm

I have a problem..

I was trying to search for two dogs whom I did not remember what was called on their pedigree so I went by their call names..
the problem is that apparently their call names is far too used on the forum, so even if I write an author I want to search in and to only search the topic names the word I am searching is still far too used.

This is kind of a problem I think - is there something that can be done to make the search better? (I even tried to specify by putting in the word blustag, the word puppy and others but it still ignored the names I wanted instead of combining the search)
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Searching

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:33 pm

I see what you mean... that's one of the problems of having many different dogs around the world that share the same name (lol) - a forum search for that particular name produces far too many results so eventually that search term is just ignored.

I'll tinker around a bit server-side to see if I can tweak some of the settings to improve the search function. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:50 pm

OK... I tweaked the search index settings to disable the "common word threshold" and switched the search backend from Fulltext Native to Fulltext MySQL, then recreated the search index. Give it a try now and tell me what you think. :)

I can always revert the search backend to Fulltext Native if Fulltext MySQL is too slow or starts taking up too much space server-side, but I think it should be sufficient for now. ;)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:06 pm

It works great!
I had no problems with too long wait time or too many results (as I just specified my search more) and I found what I was looking for within seconds, something I had to give up on before!
Yeay!
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:28 pm

OK cool :D