Nanaki (USA) - adopted

Tamaskan Dogs (and lookalikes) available for adoption.
wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Nanaki (USA) - available

Post by wolfwannabe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:54 am

Very sad news, a difficult time for all specially Nanaki, I've been in the situation and know hope heart breaking it is to have to rehome a much loved dog.

Everything happens for a reason and hopefully Nanaki will soon find a new loveing home.
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:40 am

Aw this makes me so sad :(
I wish we could take him if he wasn't so far away in Texas!
I hope someone will give him another loving home very soon, he seems like such a sweet boy.
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 am

maybe he could be travelled by train or anything else to the Canada ?
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:35 pm

No trains that would come here, not like Europe and area. We can only fly ;) or drive
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:03 pm

but maybe a train could bring him the closest possible to the Canada, and then it would be by car ?
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:38 pm

I believe you could get him all the way to Montana by train or bus then it would only be a few hours south. But I think you would need a pet passport to get him from the US to Canada.

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:46 am

The Tamasakn Rescue (NTCA Rescue) will be coordinating with Nanki's owners to directly adopt the boy locally OR have him transported out to Wisconsin to our facility. Nanaki is completely Vet checked and DNA tested ;) Funds are needed for transport. If anyone is willing to help with that cost, please let us know..../
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I like my dogs more than most people"

Colleen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Colleen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:55 am

Hello, all -

Please do hang on a bit about Nanaki: It's about 4 am here in Chicago and I've just woken unexpectedly and decided to do a quick check for any available Tams like I always do and so --- I'm a bit excited and half-awake and hope you'll bear with me if I do not write as legibly as I might at another hour of the day. Ok, here goes....

I believe I'd like to adopt Nanaki, if you find me and our home acceptable. I've been lurking on the forum off and on since my sign-up date, but haven't posted mainly cause, well,

(1) most available tams have been puppies (and not too available yet!) and I prefer an older dog to a puppy;
(2) I've not been too certain of how fully trainable tamaskans are from reading the posts here and elsewhere, and I really need a trainable dog as he will be my 24-hour companion, going with me everywhere I go, and must be able to qualify as a service dog so that I needn't leave him behind at any time;
(3) I have had the possibility of a non-tam from a friend of a friend who trains dogs for a living, so ...
(4) all in all, I have tried to stay a bit detached, as it really seemed the odds were against me.

But Nanaki just may fit the bill, and I wonder if you might think so, too.

I am deeply, deeply sorry that there is difficulty for HiTenshi16's brother ZellRyu25 right now. Before I go any further, I'd like to say that to him, and to add that this will pass. Whatever it is, he has a strength within him and he will get through this. In the meantime, I add my prayers and sympathy to those of the group here, and promise that if it is up to me, he need never worry about Nanaki's well-being. I hope that helps a little.

I'm a married mom and I have three children: two girls who are 20 and 22, and a son who is 28. The youngest girl is away at an Illinois college, and home during school breaks and some weekends. The other two live on their own.

My son has just graduated law school and is studying for his bar; my oldest daughter works for an international children's charity, and my youngest is studying to be an elementary teacher, most likely special needs. My husband is a software engineer, and often away from home. I am a hypnotherapist and I work 50/50 with law enforcement teaching them to relate to kids at risk of gang and violence issues and with "regular folk" teaching them how to have productive and lasting relationships. After standing alone against three burglars in my home, I have become passionately involved with second amendment rights, earning instructor certification, and will begin this summer to teach defensive firearm training for women, as I believe we are the core of a community, and that the confidence a woman has when she knows she can defend herself and her children will transfer to her daughters, which will help them to stand taller, and thereby, bit by bit, the community begins to stand taller and begins to see itself as worth more than it was when it saw itself as victim.

We own our own 4 bedroom home, with a fenced backyard, many parks, and even some hiking trails nearby.

We have two vets -- a regular cat and dog vet just one block away, and a zoo vet two miles away, as we are passionate animal lovers and had, for three years, a USDA licensed zoo within our own house! We chose to stop, once my husband's work took him away from home too often for us to give all animals sufficient care with just me here -- they were mainly exotic animals and we'd show folks how to maintain their natural environments and teach them about the animals' nature and care and such.

Living with us now are two cats, and two kinkajous. The kinkajous were both born in our home and I raised from the time he was 6 hours old -- he's now 9 years :) ), and his sister is 7. The cats are 7 and 2 years old.

There's a really cool story behind every single animal who has lived here, but I guess I'll save those for another time. Suffice it to say that, if an animal complies with our two rules, it has a forever home with us. Period. In fact, before we married twelve years ago, I once moved to a horrible suburb because the 87-year-old owner of the house we were renting suddenly decided to put it on the market, and I couldn't find any rental that would let me keep my labrador in time, so we moved that far just cause I would no sooner leave my dog than I would leave my children.

Okay, I'm getting too long ....

Animals stay with us for life, unless they:
a) show unwarranted aggression toward anyone or any animal in the family. Warranted is understandable and can be worked with. But everyone deserves to feel safe here, and so that rule is inviolate. (Which means ... Nanaki must get along with the cats. I haven't seen this mentioned one way or the other)
b) goes to the bathroom in the house. If the animal is old or sick, that's accepted. If it's saying "hey, my litterbox is dirty!" or "you slept through my go-for-a-walk time!", that's accepted, too.

I don't know what else to say. The stories are great -- such as how (since I had kids already and was supercautious about remarrying), I finally decided I could marry my David after he took us to visit his mom at her farm and, when I opened the door to the house, out walked a 3-legged baby goat, flying around the room was a raven, sitting on the counter were chicks of various types, and my best best friend there was a gorgeous stray half-wolf that just came around to play). Or how we came to have the kinkajous in the first place --- where I visited my friend who trains animals for films, held this soft sweet baby with it's thumb in it's mouth, and my friend walked off somewhere ... never bothering to tell me that a kinkajou was an animal that became a whirling tornado as soon as nightfall hit! It was too late ... I had already fallen in love with the breed in that hour that I held it.

Some stories are poignant, like the fact that my soon-to-be-husband adopted a cat only to find out that it yowled continuously for the first two days and then got a phone call saying it had tested FIV positive and he could bring it back to be put down. What did he do? He said "nah, I'll keep him: see if you can find me another FIV positive cat to keep him company, I think this one is lonely and I'm sure they'd both like a home." Or the dog that I wouldn't give up for an apartment, who'd been the dog of a married couple who were both DEA agents, and had traveled halfway round the world with them, but whom they could not keep in their latest assignment. Those cats, that dog, were with us till the end of their days, no matter what the cost or extent of the care they needed as their days wore down.

Ok, no more animal tales, lol! This post is too long already, I think!

In sum, I'm in love with the tamaskan breed, looking for a constant companion who, with training, will be welcome anyplace I travel, will get along with our other animals and family members. The dog will be loved, respected, cared for, kept healthy and nurtured and will have a forever home. Michifloo and anyone else may feel free to visit our home, speak to our vets, etc.

If he is not already spoken for, please let me know how you might like me to proceed from here.

Thanks ---

Colleen

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:07 am

wow, your home sounds amazing... do hope he likes cats, you sound like the ideal human for him :P

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 am

That would be great if it worked out for you. You and your family sound like you would give him a wonderful forever home. So sad that Angelo has to move and is unable to take him. He must be devastated as I know they were very close.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:54 pm

Well it's up to the owner and foster home but I'd consider you in a heartbeat!Good luck :) ;)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:51 pm

I really hope it works out - it sounds like a good match!
This could be the lucky break that Nanaki was waiting for :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Colleen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Colleen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi, again.

Thank you very much, Sylvaen, Boreal, Misaya and TerriHolt, for the kind encouragement. With luck, perhaps I can thank you again in person at a Tamaskan meet sometime :)

Tried to upload some pics of me and my family (pet and human), but kept running into errors. :?
I was able, however, to add them to a facebook album, and the facebook notice says I can share that album here with you even if we're not facebook friends.

Could someone please try it out and let me know if it works? It's at
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... fa6555b0c0
You who are reading this will be the only folks who know why there are pics of my husband, me and kids in my animal karma album :lol: My facebook friends will be scratching their heads.

Also -- google maps says I'm only 15 hours from Nanaki's Texas location .... that's doable this week even at short notice! :)

And also, also --- I've just gotten a note that there is another Tamaskan owner nearby! That was the straw that has set me actually hoping, although I do half hope that Angelo might somehow be able to keep his dog. But if he cannot, then the knowledge of another nearby is really the icing on the cake ... the ... cake I hope to be able to bake, I mean.

ZellRyu25 and HiTenshi16: I have sent you a brief pm, and hope it helps in any way.

Thank you.

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Good luck Colleen! This seems almost meant to be for you and I hope you are able to give him the home that he needs =)
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Sorry I have not updated sooner. My husband and I (and with my younger sister's help who is staying with us for the summer) are fostering Nanaki now until Denise and I can find him a forever home. Now remember that we are not sure if he is even half Tamaskan since his DNA did not match any TDR records. Though we do have our suspicions of where he came from.

So far he has not had any accidents in the house, though this is with constant watch on him for any signs of him looking to for a spot to do his business and taking him outside all the time to be sure (and with lots of praise when he does). He still does not know how to tell you he has to go. We are going to try to train him to hit a bell by the door since he is not very vocal.
He is not happy with being in a crate and will resist until he is very close to it and then will go in. We are working on this everyday to show him it's not a bad place to be and that we will come back (using lots of ice cubes as he LOVES them!). The only time we put him in (only to avoid potty accidents) is at night when we go to bed and when I leave for work (my sister will sometimes let him out to play).
He does pull on the leash and we are trying to train that out and have him walk next to our side, though he hates the head halter.
He also jumps, alot, so we are teaching him that he must "sit" before he can get his food and "wait" until we say he can eat it. When he does jump he gets a squirt with a little water gun and he gets the idea quickly.
He has shown some aggression to a few dogs. So far it's when he is on the leash and the other dog is excited. Other dogs he seems very fine with at first, just a bit shy and needs a proper introduction. We believe this is because our mum had him chained up outside :evil: We are going to try to get together with a friend and her dogs and walk with them.
He was rough with my cat (disappeared since a neighbors complaint) when my brother first got him but he got along great with my sister's cat and was very gentle with him. He was also very gentle and tolerant of a 7 week old Pomeranian x Pug mix that their friend had brought over one day. How he is with other cats, kittens, ect., we don't know yet. We were supposed to get 2 new kittens today but now it won't be till next week. Nanaki did want to chase a rabbit when outside, my sister only witnessed this but from her description the intent was there.
He does not know very many commands at all and we are trying to teach him some today since I'm off work.
Aside from all that he is very sweet and loves to play. And boy does he LOVE ice! Once he hears us in the ice box he will come running!
I have an album set up on Photobucket of all his pictures that was taken of him that I could collect. I'm currently trying to upload a couple videos right now (ugh, being such a pain!) though they are already posted on YouTube. I will post the link of the album and the videos soon after this post.

Colleen,
I don't think Nanaki would make a good service dog. And I don't know how he would react to your (cute) kinkajous (sorry if I spelled that wrong, doing all this on my iPhone). We are planning on finding out how he will react next Saturday (25th) during my vacation to fireworks, crowds, and loud music since there will be a USA Celebration being held (and it's free!). If he can't handle it he will be taken back home. He still needs lots of training but I believe he will be a good family member to add to ones family. Again remember that he is not full Tamaskan (not even sure if he has any in him) but has the looks so he can still get the certificate as an "Honorary Tamskan". From your story I read and my experience with this boy IMHOP I don't think you two are a good match but after reading this if you are willing to still take him, work with him, and never give him up, then I can see you two being a match and would have you contact MichiFloo (Denise) and see if she appoves.

Nanaki when he goes to his forever home will come with his 6 month (now 5) dosage of Sentinel for fleas and tick prevention, his container that can hold (I think) 30 lbs of food (along with the food in it, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck Recipe), his (worn) leash, his new blue reflective collar, and your choice of either 2 big metal bowls, or the bowls he is currently using which are black and white with a doggie skull and cross-bones design.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Here is a link to his album on Photobucket http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... CA/Nanaki/
And the videos I'm having trouble uploading to Photobucket. The first video recorded by my sister while I was at work.

And this one by me this morning.

Colleen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Colleen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:42 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:Colleen,
I don't think Nanaki would make a good service dog. And I don't know how he would react to your (cute) kinkajous (sorry if I spelled that wrong, doing all this on my iPhone). We are planning on finding out how he will react next Saturday (25th) during my vacation to fireworks, crowds, and loud music since there will be a USA Celebration being held (and it's free!). If he can't handle it he will be taken back home. He still needs lots of training but I believe he will be a good family member to add to ones family. Again remember that he is not full Tamaskan (not even sure if he has any in him) but has the looks so he can still get the certificate as an "Honorary Tamskan". From your story I read and my experience with this boy IMHOP I don't think you two are a good match but after reading this if you are willing to still take him, work with him, and never give him up, then I can see you two being a match and would have you contact MichiFloo (Denise) and see if she appoves.

Nanaki when he goes to his forever home will come with his 6 month (now 5) dosage of Sentinel for fleas and tick prevention, his container that can hold (I think) 30 lbs of food (along with the food in it, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck Recipe), his (worn) leash, his new blue reflective collar, and your choice of either 2 big metal bowls, or the bowls he is currently using which are black and white with a doggie skull and cross-bones design.
Wow, you're an absolute angel. I can't believe you wrote all that on your iphone and answered so thoroughly and completely.

You seem to have assessed correctly - it does not sound as tho Nanaki and I are ready for each other at this time. But we both tried, with honest info, and I thank you very much for that.

Hopefully, tho, your very detailed description of his current abilities will help the perfect owner to feel he *is* a good match for him or her, so good will come out of this yet. That person will also be very lucky to have your keen observance. I hope you will let us know how your brother is doing in future, too, especially once he is able to get the good news of Nanaki's new match.

Good luck to you all and, again, my thanks. I'm looking forward to the vid and pics.

~Colleen

Colleen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Colleen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:56 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:Here is a link to his album on Photobucket http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... CA/Nanaki/
And the videos I'm having trouble uploading to Photobucket. The first video recorded by my sister while I was at work.

And this one by me this morning.

You know, they seem to be having some serious fun together, even if they are leaving out Rukia much of the time ... Looks like Ulric has totally gotten over the initial posturing! After seeing these I'm even more sorry that he and Angelo are parting. I swear, I wish I could help make that not be true. Great media. Thanks for sharing it!

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Colleen, the link works...GAH so cute! I'm sorry that things aren't looking very bright....
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Colleen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Colleen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:14 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote: He does pull on the leash and we are trying to train that out and have him walk next to our side, though he hates the head halter.
He also jumps, alot,
Oh, I almost forgot! Try this harness instead of the leash ---

I had a 120 lb. foxhound whom I was immediately told was a puller and challenging walker. I got this harness right away and never once had a problem walking him. I swear by it ... something about it's chest design makes them correct themselves immediately if they go out of step from your side, and the fleece covered elastic and breathable mesh makes it super comfortable to even the strongest dog.

I got mine at petsmart, without having to go online.

Let us know how it works for Nanaki, if you like!

~C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colleen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Colleen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Boreal wrote:Colleen, the link works...GAH so cute! I'm sorry that things aren't looking very bright....
Thanks Boreal, I'm glad to hear it! And that's okay, looks like I am not meant to be Nanaki's forever owner, and I sure wouldn't want to delay whoever is! ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:34 pm

I want to try to avoid the harness in case anyone who gets him would like to use him for pulling, like Canicross, Skijor, or even sledding, just to make it easier for him to understand "leash, no pull, harness, do pull!". ;) this way there is not extra training to have him re-learn to pull if that makes sense. But if we get no success with the head halter then we will go to the harness.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:07 pm

I have that harness lol! And no problem ;) But I can understand why you wouldn't want to confuse harnesses. I like the Gentle leader but Snoopy is much to small for it so I went with the Sporn harness and it works great, it's padded and he pulls really hard and tends to choke himself.

Anyways....Try the NEWTRIX headhalti, expensive but I use it in the boarding center for the biggest dogs to medium dogs and it doesn't rub :)

I may have to grab a pic of my own red one :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:26 pm

it's a shame thing didn't work out for you and Nanaki colleen, he's sucha lovely boy and i hope he finds a forever home soon.

Colleen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Colleen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Ooh, harness work v leash work. Hadn't thought of that. Smart ...

(this forum needs a thumbs up icon!)

Thanks wicca. Cant wait to see where he goes!

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:15 am

We are coordinating to get Nanaki up here to WI.... within the next 2 weeks! Very exciting! Great videos by the way! What a neat young man!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Although there has not been any accidents all week (because of close watch and crating), Nanaki went two nights in a row sleeping outside the crate in our bedroom without accidents. I say he is making great progress house-training wise. He gets very excited when we ask "go outside", even when he does not have to go.
Also finding out he will ONLY listen to commands if you have treats. So far we are using chopped up carrots, extra sharp cheddar cheese, hotdogs, and of course, ice.
Can't wait to get him to WI (though I still can because I love this boy too), I just hope his future owners keep in contact, at least here on the forums ;)

sky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sky » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:36 pm

How is Nanaki doing on his Pheno? Did your brother ever have any of the testing done? Whenever he gets adopted be sure to extend my name and contact for questions and suggestions for dealing with a dog with epilepsy. Fingers crossed he gets a new home soon!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Nanaki has not had any seizures since my last posting about it. My brother was unable to get any testing done because 1) my mother wouldn't drive him to our vet's and 2) he could not afford it. I will gladly give them your information (with your permission of course!) for their questions about epilepsy. Did you ever find out if he was related to Juneau?

sky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sky » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:41 pm

I don't belive so. There were only two or three letters that matched up in certain spots. If they were even half siblings I would suspect more would show up, but I'm no expert.

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:33 am

First, we have submitted an application to OperationRoger

http://operationroger.rescuegroups.org/

In hopes that this org will help us with the long 1200 mile transport up to WI ;) Its a non-profit org which carefully screens professional truckers who are willing to volunteer space in their cab (NOT in cargo) to transport rescue animals across country! Keep your fingers crossed, if this works out, it will open up other doors for long distance rescues! If this does not work out, Hitenshi and I will meet half way.

Also, on the subject of Nanaki's seizures, once he is up here, he will be throughly checked out by our Vet and appropriate measures will be taken. Hitenshi has done an absolutely wonder job with Nanaki! Not to mention how very patient she has been with me ;) Many thanks and much appreciation to Hitenshi for her extraordinary efforts!

Donations are greatly appreciated for the transport and Vet care for Nanaki! Feel free to visit my website for donation information ;)

http://www.freewebs.com/tamaskanusa/res ... mation.htm

sky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sky » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 pm

The appropriate testing to rule out everything will be well over $2000. You should set up for donations to help out.

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:55 pm

I am happy to announce that our application to OperationRoger was approved! Now its just a waiting game. Hitenshi has the most difficult job at this point, having to aquire a Health Cert for travel and get all of Nanaki's paperwork and personal items together....then wait for the call to meet the driver ;)

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:10 am

Wonderful news!
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:42 pm

michifloo wrote:I am happy to announce that our application to OperationRoger was approved! Now its just a waiting game. Hitenshi has the most difficult job at this point, having to aquire a Health Cert for travel and get all of Nanaki's paperwork and personal items together....then wait for the call to meet the driver ;)
that's good news! :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Got the Health Certificate! Just have to wait for that call now :)

Nanaki also did very good meeting two new doggies today too! Got to play with a Yorkie puppy and was gentle. Met my friends mix (don't know what kind) and they sniffed each other and that was it. He also met a fat orange cat at the vet today and was very nice to him too!

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:06 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:Got the Health Certificate! Just have to wait for that call now :)

Nanaki also did very good meeting two new doggies today too! Got to play with a Yorkie puppy and was gentle. Met my friends mix (don't know what kind) and they sniffed each other and that was it. He also met a fat orange cat at the vet today and was very nice to him too!
He just needs a steady home that has the time to love and train him, so sorry it can not be your brother, but you both have given Nanaki a great chance of a happy life, which he probably would not have otherwise. I hope whoever gets him keeps you updated on his progress.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:56 pm

I am sorry you couldn't keep him, and very happy your putting a great deal of time and effort finding him a home that can be forever... Hope the new owner keeps us updated on here :D

Colleen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Colleen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:13 am

Michifloo & Hitenshi --Yay on the success of the application and papers!

Please feel free to pm me if you all need a hand in driving a leg of the journey. I would probably be best for the final leg to WI and I'd love to meet Michifloo and her "pack" as well as Nanaki :)

I think Michifloo is 3 1/2 hours from me and, depending on the date, I may be able to add some to that if needed.

Also -- gotta say that Hitenshi and her brother seem like the kind of owners any pet would love to have. Very very conscientious and laid back. I look forward to when ZellRyu will be able to have another in the future.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:59 pm

The best way you can help us out is making a donation http://www.freewebs.com/tamaskanusa/howyoucanhelp.htm
This is all coming out of Michifloo's pocket as the Tamaskan Rescue of NTCA is a non-profit organization. Any donation will be greatly appreciated since it will be going to vet, food, and ect. costs.

An update on Nanaki...
I believe Nanaki has improved quite a bit. When he first came here he was very bouncy (still is just a little). Just feeding him he used to jump and end up knocking his food and water out of our hands just from being excited. Now, still excited, he will sit until I put his food down and not touch it until I say "okay". He would be very bouncy each time I said "outside" but now he has calmed down a bit and will sit for me to put his lead on.
He has had some accidents during my vacation, mostly that was during when my family came over. Since one big accident in the crate and after me cleaning it up right away (I was away for 9 or 10 hours at a water park) he has not had any more. He will hold it for us and go outside now and he can sleep in our bedroom with us without any accidents. He actually is okay going into the crate now with no fuss. We have been giving him lots of treats (slices of hot dogs, extra sharp cheddar cheese bits...) each time he goes in. How he acts while we are gone though I don't know.
Walked with both him and Ulric this morning and did not use the head halter this time. He did do much better and not pull as much, each time he did though I gave a quick "ah ah!" and pulled him back to my side then continued on, he did so well!
He also is getting his "sit" down very well along with his "down".
We did not take him to the fireworks celebration because my husband felt that he would be too skittish after he was uneasy with the vacuum cleaner. He really did not want to be in the same room with it. Also had some party poppers and tested him with those and he went into his crate after hearing them and watching them pop. So still don't know how he would react to large crowds, loud concert music, and fireworks.

If anyone ever wants to see all of the pictures and video of Nanaki just visit this album http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... CA/Nanaki/

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:27 pm

He is a good looking dog, you and your brother have done wonders with him, he is a lucky dog.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 am

I believe Nanaki is getting the hang of his house training :) He has not had any accidents in a while, he is holding it very well in the crate (has gone 12 hours in the crate without accident). Recently one day he hit my blinds on my back door and I go over to him and ask if he wants to go out side, he got very excited and went both after I took him out, he then did it again just the other day :) Not sure if that is why he is doing it but if he continues to tell me that way I will teach him to hit some bells instead.

We went to my friend's house on Thursday to see how he would do with her dogs. Before we went we stopped by for a minute at the dog park, he did growl at a couple dogs and his hackles were up a bit, the whole time he was on a leash (didn't want to take him off since I did not know what he was going to do). He did very well at my friend's with her dogs in her backyard and inside the house. He was very calm and played a little with them.
Here are some videos of that day :)

Nanaki is also becoming more loving, he will roll on his back for belly rubs and while I'm on the computer will shove my arm up with his nose trying to get me to pet him (Ulric then will climb in my lap to hog me to himself :lol: )
Nanaki has also gained 6 lbs since he has been here in my care so he now weighs 61 lbs (28 kg). We are very proud at how well he is doing :)

Colleen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Colleen » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:22 am

Looking at HiTenshi's videos, watching Nanaki.

Noting. His respectfulness of the other dogs, and of the humans. How obvious it seems that he wants to know his place in the pack, that he is willing to accept that place and not challenge for it. How he hangs back, rather than dominates. His own keen air of observing. How intelligent he appears to be, eager to learn the correct behaviors from the others. How it appears that he would very quickly do so, were his training to be alongside another, trained dog.

How happy he is, in those moments in which he joins in. How equally happy, in the moments in which he watches the others.

Oh, darn you, HiTenshi! Curses on you for being such a good foster mom! For doing so well at observing this dog and working so well with what you've observed that he is now a dog coming along so well in both socialization and in toileting. You've even included cats in the equation!

.... My husband and I are wondering: What exactly would be involved in fostering Nanaki while a permanent owner is being found? Is this something you and Michifloo might be interested in us doing?

And all "curses" aside ... thank you very much for posting the videos, and diligently keeping us informed of his progress. We know you had the dastardly plan of doing so just to keep him in our minds :) ... (just kidding!)

Please do let me know if fostering is something you and Michifloo might like to discuss further with me.

Thanks -- great vids and tales! Ulric is magnificent, all the dogs in your vid are, and it's great watching them have such splendid fun together!

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:52 pm

So warm and inspiring. His nature and yours work together nicely. Graciously finding your way with each other.
It's heartwarming.
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:38 pm

You really are working wonders with him, you really are giving him the best chance for a nice new home.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:50 am

Just wanted to share another quick update on Nanaki...

We were out yesterday since 7:00 pm shooting fireworks and did not get back home till 2:00 am. Nanaki was in the crate when we left. When we got home we were greeted not only by our Rukia and Ulric who are not crated, but also Nanaki who had escaped out of the crate! And even more to my surprise, there were no accidents! I was very proud of him and it looks like his house training is really coming along. Unfortunately he did however chew up two of my husband's CDs (a new one he liked and and older one he did not care for). My mother had complained that he was a big chewer but to only of chewed up two little things is pretty good I think. I believe he did it out of boredom, and probably could have gotten into more trouble if Rukia and Ulric were not there to play with him :)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:40 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:Just wanted to share another quick update on Nanaki...

We were out yesterday since 7:00 pm shooting fireworks and did not get back home till 2:00 am. Nanaki was in the crate when we left. When we got home we were greeted not only by our Rukia and Ulric who are not crated, but also Nanaki who had escaped out of the crate! And even more to my surprise, there were no accidents! I was very proud of him and it looks like his house training is really coming along. Unfortunately he did however chew up two of my husband's CDs (a new one he liked and and older one he did not care for). My mother had complained that he was a big chewer but to only of chewed up two little things is pretty good I think. I believe he did it out of boredom, and probably could have gotten into more trouble if Rukia and Ulric were not there to play with him :)

He was just helping propel you into buying your songs over the internet instead of buying cds. Happy to hear there was no accidents though.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:22 am

AZDehlin wrote:
HiTenshi16 wrote:Just wanted to share another quick update on Nanaki...

He was just helping propel you into buying your songs over the internet instead of buying cds. Happy to hear there was no accidents though.
sounds like he is doing great. you really are giving him the best chance of finding a good home. shame it can't be with your brother but it's great he has a good chance.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 pm

So excited! Wednesday we should be able to meet up halfway with michifloo to help transport Nanaki up to Wisconsin! Ulric will be tagging along with me and really looking forward to meeting michifloo and Loo-Loo! :mrgreen:

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:03 pm

That's great news that it's all falling into place :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce