Malamute Mix in Austin, TX - ADOPTED

Tamaskan Dogs (and lookalikes) available for adoption.
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Malamute Mix in Austin, TX - ADOPTED

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:57 am

No information on the page other than he is a large young male they believe is a Malamute mix in Austin, Texas. As soon as I saw this photo I immediately thought Tamaskan so I couldn't resist to cross-post here. I do hope he finds a home soon before it is too late.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21920100

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Malamute Mix in Austin, TX

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:33 am

I'll go visit him on Tuesday if he's still there. If he can be saved locally, then I'll do all I can to help out. The dog trainer I work for is highly involved at this shelter and we're putting together a volunteer training program to get as many dogs adopted out as possible.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:42 am

That would be great! Do keep us updated :D

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:53 am

So, what would I be looking for to see if he's indeed a Tam (or Tam X)? I've met a couple of Tamaskans back in '08 but little to no interaction as the meeting was at a dog park. :P

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:42 am

Stunning boy!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:11 am

arianwenarie wrote:So, what would I be looking for to see if he's indeed a Tam (or Tam X)? I've met a couple of Tamaskans back in '08 but little to no interaction as the meeting was at a dog park. :P
Finding out anything you can on him would be great, like where did he come from, why is he there, ect. I do find it likely that he could be a Tamaskan mix or maybe even full.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:45 am

He does look very tam-ish. Maybe try to get another photo or two of him?
Image Image

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:02 am

wow, he's gorgeous - definitely very Tamaskan-y and could very well be one... hope he gets into a foster home soon and out of that shelter ASAP!
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Judging from the (very) little information on the shelter's list of dogs for adoption, he's unaltered. It's a shame I can't take him even if he's got any Tam in him. /cries I'll try to get some more pictures of him...possibly a video.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 pm

This is very interesting and he does look very like a Tamaskan indeed from the head. I would like to see his full body, face on, side on and tail carriage. IF he is unaltered it may be worth doing some dna profiling :)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:51 pm

He looks a lot like tamaskan to me... More pictures?

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Blustag wrote:This is very interesting and he does look very like a Tamaskan indeed from the head. I would like to see his full body, face on, side on and tail carriage. IF he is unaltered it may be worth doing some dna profiling :)
I'm not sure if the shelter will do me any favors by not altering him. If the NTCA can step in IF it's the case he's proven to be mainly Tamaskan from pictures (possibly) video I take, then the shelter MAY do him some favors. ;) I'll be calling them in a few minutes to get some info... in the meantime, were there any Tamaskans from the TDR placed into homes near Austin, TX?

EDIT:
I got off the phone with Austin Animal Center a few minutes ago and this boy has 2 potential adopters already. I will still be visiting him tomorrow. He will be neutered regardless of whether a rescue pulls him or he gets adopted publicly as it is the shelter policy. NTCA Rescue cannot pull him unless they register with the shelter as an approved rescue organization.

If the potential adopters fall through, then NTCA can still pull him as long as they register with the shelter. He was picked up as a stray and is very friendly (according to staff). I was also told he does not walk well on a leash; though, it might be that he's terrified in the shelter environment.

I forgot to ask if they scanned him for a microchip, but I will do that tomorrow. I do remember there being one case of a dog being picked up as a stray and was never scanned for a chip - the owner reclaimed his dog from one of our facebook posts about how smart his dog was.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:53 am

Well I hope you get him! Please keep us updated
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:06 am

Convel wrote:Well I hope you get him! Please keep us updated
Heh. Will do. But I cannot adopt him... I'm afraid the only thing I might be able to do is put together a care package for him if Denise pulls him. XD

EDIT:
The shelter posted a new picture of him - a face-on headshot. lol. He's a pretty boy. <3

http://www.petharbor.com/get_image.asp? ... ATION=ASTN

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:33 am

He's beautiful!
Image Image

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:29 am

I so much would love to foster this boy, Rukia and Ulric miss having another wagging tail in the house :lol: Do keep us updated :D

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 am

He is lovely. I hope he finds a good home soon.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:46 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:I so much would love to foster this boy, Rukia and Ulric miss having another wagging tail in the house :lol: Do keep us updated :D
I'll be visiting him this afternoon. Depending on weather, I may or may not take him out of his kennel for a walk. If I can find a volunteer that I know, then I'll ask them to help me take pics and videos of him.

How far away are you from Austin? (I'd love to meet Ulric. ;) )

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:22 pm

arianwenarie wrote:How far away are you from Austin? (I'd love to meet Ulric. ;) )
I'm 4 hours and 5 minutes away from Austin, so says Google. If I were to come get him to be my foster, I would need help paying for vet bills (routine check-up, flea and tick prevention) and then food, and a few other nessecities (collar, tags, leash). Of course when he get's adopted out all that will go with him. We are a bit tight on money, but we are getting back on track finally (no thanks to medical bills).

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 pm

I visited this handsome boy and I must say he is VERY sweet and extremely affectionate. I wasn't able to take him out for a walk as originally planned because I couldn't locate any (horrible!) kennel leads and I had forgotten to bring my own leash. :(

I did try going into his kennel, but as he was trying to worm his way out (haha), I didn't want him escaping...so I didn't enter his kennel. He will be neutered no matter who adopts him as it is state law that all animals adopted out of Texas shelters must be altered.

He was scanned for a microchip, but does not have one. His cage card says he's 66lbs and he does look to be about the size of my lab. lol. Not sure if that's the right size for a male Tam. XD I did take a couple videos...though, they're not that good. Will figure out how to upload onto youtube and post them here in a bit (watch this space). From my (amatuer) POV, I think he's a Tamaskan... :P

His current adoption status: 2 potential adopters. 1st in line has until 7pm tonight to make a decision. If that falls through, then the 2nd adopter gets another 24 hours to decide. I will be calling the shelter first thing tomorrow morning to check on the status of his pending adoption. Should the 1st adopter fall through, someone else can place a hold on him for 2nd in line.

I have also left my contact info to be passed onto his adopters in case no one from our community can pull him. I also had the staff note (for now) that he's a Tamaskan Dog mix in his notes and to contact me so that his adopters can be directed to our community eventually.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 pm

arianwenarie wrote:I visited this handsome boy and I must say he is VERY sweet and extremely affectionate. I wasn't able to take him out for a walk as originally planned because I couldn't locate any (horrible!) kennel leads and I had forgotten to bring my own leash. :(

I did try going into his kennel, but as he was trying to worm his way out (haha), I didn't want him escaping...so I didn't enter his kennel. He will be neutered no matter who adopts him as it is state law that all animals adopted out of Texas shelters must be altered.

He was scanned for a microchip, but does not have one. His cage card says he's 66lbs and he does look to be about the size of my lab. lol. Not sure if that's the right size for a male Tam. XD I did take a couple videos...though, they're not that good. Will figure out how to upload onto youtube and post them here in a bit (watch this space). From my (amatuer) POV, I think he's a Tamaskan... :P

His current adoption status: 2 potential adopters. 1st in line has until 7pm tonight to make a decision. If that falls through, then the 2nd adopter gets another 24 hours to decide. I will be calling the shelter first thing tomorrow morning to check on the status of his pending adoption. Should the 1st adopter fall through, someone else can place a hold on him for 2nd in line.

I have also left my contact info to be passed onto his adopters in case no one from our community can pull him. I also had the staff note (for now) that he's a Tamaskan Dog mix in his notes and to contact me so that his adopters can be directed to our community eventually.
Great Job :D look forward to hearing how this turns out.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 pm

More pictures of the unnamed boy:

Video links: (sorry for the horrible filming... :oops: )

There's a very short full body side shot of him at the end of both videos. In the first video, he pasted himself to the kennel door soliciting affection. Some of the whining you hear in the background is him. The other background noise is the plott hound mix in the kennel next to him. ;)

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:09 pm

He's very pretty and he does look like a Tamaskan :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm

He looks very much like a Tamaskan, Ulric weighs I think around 70 lbs (been a while since he has been weighed) but he looks like about the right size. Keep up the good work!

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Pretty boy. I'd be very surprised if he was not at least part Tam.
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:22 am

Jumpin' in a little late here.... too many things going on.... ANYWAY, yup, nice looking kid. Is the shelter a no-kill shelter? I haven't dealt with them.... Does sound as though there is sig interest in adopting the pup... this is one of those happy cases where the dog will not have to be trapped in a shelter knocking on death's door....

The NTCA rescue does not have the funding to help out with this one. Unless someone is willing to flip the bill for transport and some basic Vet care, we are simply paralized at this point.

Sorry, guys, we are not made of money, and unfortuneately, that's exactly what it takes sometimes....
"I like my dogs more than most people"

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:27 am

michifloo wrote:Jumpin' in a little late here.... too many things going on.... ANYWAY, yup, nice looking kid. Is the shelter a no-kill shelter? I haven't dealt with them.... Does sound as though there is sig interest in adopting the pup... this is one of those happy cases where the dog will not have to be trapped in a shelter knocking on death's door....

The NTCA rescue does not have the funding to help out with this one. Unless someone is willing to flip the bill for transport and some basic Vet care, we are simply paralized at this point.

Sorry, guys, we are not made of money, and unfortuneately, that's exactly what it takes sometimes....
I think HiTenshi posted saying she(?)'d be willing to foster if they can get some financial help. However, with the amount of interest in this boy, it might not be necessary unless someone in Texas really wanted to foster him. lol.

I'd love to adopt or foster him, but I just don't have the space nor money to do so.

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:20 am

I have contacted another potential adopter who resides in Tx. She is not completely screened, but has been persistant and is sincere....

I Cc:d Arianwenarie to the E-mail and added a couple of photos.... something will work out for this guy ;)
"I like my dogs more than most people"

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Update:
Pretty boy has been adopted and he's going to his new home today! WHOO! :D I hope his new owners contact me so that I can direct them here. :)

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:49 pm

arianwenarie wrote:Update:
Pretty boy has been adopted and he's going to his new home today! WHOO! :D I hope his new owners contact me so that I can direct them here. :)
:D Fantastic!
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Great news - I hope they join the forum... would love to see more photos of this boy... and if they DNA profile him (relatively cheap) we'd be able to see if he is indeed a Tam after all. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Good to hear he is adopted. Like Debby said, I also hope they join the forum and find out if he has any Tamaskan in him. :)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:10 pm

That is great news, I hope he is happy in his new home.

sequoia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sequoia » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:05 pm

I'm so glad to hear that he's adopted!!

I'd like to help out with the Tamaskan Rescue too, does anyone know who I should contact? My (small) group tries to help rescue wolfdogs and wolf look alike breeds, I think we should add the Tamaskan too. I have two foster parents who may be able to help in the future.

:)
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:20 pm

I am also really glad he got a home of his own... hopefully we will see his adopter here soon.

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:57 pm

great news :D

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 pm

The new owners contacted me a few hours ago and I have directed them to the forum in hopes the more experienced folks can give them info about running a DNA profile on their new boy, Timber. :)

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:50 pm

That's nice that they bothered, not a lot of people would. Hope to see them here, and lots more photos of their gorgeous new boy
Image Image

trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by trina » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi. This is Trina. I'm Timber's new mommy. It was so much fun reading about all the interest in him on this thread and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing those videos and pics of my beautiful boy!

I would love to find out if he is, indeed, a Tamaskan Dog. However, I absolutely cannot pay the $50 for the kit right now. Maybe in the near future, I can swing it... but on a single-income, immediately after Christmas, and a new doggie in the house... I just have other priorities. :( Anybody have any other ideas about DNA profiling him that are even less expensive than $50?

I'll post some pictures of my sweet boy here soon. I noticed that someone mentioned detailed shots. Any requests? :)

I cannot wait to post this and read on about this incredible breed that I had never heard of before Wednesday! I totally agree, though, Timber's appearance and temperament fit into this breed's description perfectly!

Thanks so much, Emily, for directing me here! Looking forward to becoming a part of the group.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey Trina! Glad you made your way on the forum! :) Welcome!

There's no rush to get the DNA profiling done. That's just something we thought you might be interested in eventually. If he doesn't get DNA profiled to see if he's a Tamaskan, then that's perfectly fine too - either way, he has a loving home and that's what's most important. ;)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Hello and welcome! I think a side shot and a face shot would be welcome :) If it's not too much trouble of course. Enjoy your new bundle of joy :D
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by trina » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Here are a couple of pictures of Timber. I haven't gotten any great ones yet because he and my great Pyrenees mix, Bailey, are constantly playing. Lol

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Hello Trina, welcome to the forum :D

To upload photos, I believe if you go through Photobucket they should be able to post here easily. Or do like I do and post them to Facebook and then post them here since Facebook will size them down. I'm sure some else on here may be able to explain better than I :oops:

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:46 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:Hello Trina, welcome to the forum :D

To upload photos, I believe if you go through Photobucket they should be able to post here easily. Or do like I do and post them to Facebook and then post them here since Facebook will size them down. I'm sure some else on here may be able to explain better than I :oops:

Oh is THAT how everyone manages to put photos up. I wondered why everyone but me could post pics :p

Also welcome to the forum
Image Image

trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by trina » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Alright... hope this works:

Timber meeting Bailey for the first time (love at first sight).

Timber doing his adorable head-turn thing when he hears something interesting (I was making a noise to get him to look at the camera).

Luna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luna » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:33 pm

He really is gorgeous!! Congratulations on your new family member :-)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:40 pm

He is very handsome, I am glad you found your way to the forum to share him with all of us :)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:01 am

He is lovely, it is nice to know he is now in a happy home and great to be able to have updates

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:57 am

So cute! Actually he looks like a legit tam...are you planning on doing the DNA profile?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:38 am

He looks so cute doing that headtilt :)