Malamute Mix in Austin, TX - ADOPTED

Tamaskan Dogs (and lookalikes) available for adoption.
trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Malamute Mix in Austin, TX

Post by trina » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:37 am

Convel wrote:So cute! Actually he looks like a legit tam...are you planning on doing the DNA profile?
I might down the road. Not anytime soon. He won't ever be bred or anything (he's getting neutered on Tuesday)... I'd only find out out of curiosity. :)

trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by trina » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 am

Timber is a "talker"/whiner. Is this a common trait for this breed? It's frustrating most of the time, because he'll do it for no other reason than maybe the fact that he's not being "entertained" enough. He walked around the house tonight just carrying his rawhide bone and whining. LOL I think my female great pyrenees mix has established more of a dominance over him and he wasn't comfortable lying on the rug beside her to chew on his bone. Not sure if that's the reason, but it sure was cute! <3

Luna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luna » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:02 am

Yes the talking/whining is definately a breed trait. Sometimes I'll have no clue what Luna is trying to tell me, but she obviously thinks it's important! I'm sure as he settles in he'll feel less anxious about your other dog and come to terms with the fact that he has to be subordinate. It must be lovely for him to be in a loving home after the shelter :-)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D
It's great to see you here and thanks for posting new photos of Timber - I'm so happy that he has a good home now :) :)
As for the DNA profile, that's something to think about for the future but no rush... he certainly looks like he could be purebred though. ;)
Only one company does the DNA testing for all the registered Tamaskan Dogs (MMI Genomics / MetaMorphix Inc) and that DNA profile will tell you if he is related to any other Tamaskan Dogs that have been profiled (all Tamaskan Dogs must be DNA profiled before they can be used for breeding so it is fairly easy to trace the bloodlines).
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Malamute Mix in Austin, TX - ADOPTED

Post by trina » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:25 am

I'm just wondering... If Timber ends up being a purebred Tamaskan, is it a bad thing that he's getting neutered on Tuesday? I'm not sure there would be any way around it, but if it would be of some benefit, then I will check into it.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:29 am

It would only be a bad thing if you wanted him as a stud dog.
Image Image

trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by trina » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:38 am

Kyliedelonge wrote:It would only be a bad thing if you wanted him as a stud dog.
Not necessarily. I am a huge advocate of shelter adoptions (obviously) and would much rather shelter animals be chosen over adoptions from breeders. However, I also understand the purpose of trying to keep particular positive characteristics within a breed... always makes for better dogs down the line, even if they happen to be mixes. I was just under the impression that the Tamaskan Dog is pretty rare and, without any clue whether Timber is purebred or even if he has terrific breed characteristics (if he is purebred), it kind of bothers me that I'm putting an immediate stop to his lineage.

trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by trina » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:43 am

2 crazy dogs + 2 rawhide bones = 1 happy household! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:13 am

trina wrote:
Kyliedelonge wrote:It would only be a bad thing if you wanted him as a stud dog.
Not necessarily. I am a huge advocate of shelter adoptions (obviously) and would much rather shelter animals be chosen over adoptions from breeders. However, I also understand the purpose of trying to keep particular positive characteristics within a breed... always makes for better dogs down the line, even if they happen to be mixes. I was just under the impression that the Tamaskan Dog is pretty rare and, without any clue whether Timber is purebred or even if he has terrific breed characteristics (if he is purebred), it kind of bothers me that I'm putting an immediate stop to his lineage.
I agree with you on both accounts... I am all for rescue / adopting dogs from shelters BUT if a particular dog is a purebred of a VERY rare breed (only a few thousand worldwide) then, in my view, they are 'endangered' and should be used for breeding if possible (if they pass the required health tests). IF possible, I would explain the situation to the shelter and try to hold off neutering for now (at least until the DNA profile has been done, which doesn't take too long). Then again, he could only be used for breeding if his hips are x-rayed and evaluated for an official score by the BVA so if he has terrible hips then he may as well be neutered regardless because only dogs with good hips are suitable candidates. It's quite a lot to think about at this time but it might be worth further consideration while it's still an option. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:37 am

I'm all for adopting from shelters. The dog I have now is from one.
I didn't mean you have to become a breeder or anything, I only meant that the only thing neutering him would affect would be his ability to be used as a stud.
Image Image

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Welcome Trina and well done for giving him a home he is lovely.

You would need to contact John Bannow in USA to obtain the swab needed
for the DNA profile to be done. You cant get the kit from anywhere else sorry only him. He is here on the forum as Tarheel. Only the US Tamaskan Club
can submit the swabs to MMI.

I would most definately try to get his castration postponed as he looks pure to
me, and would certainly be an assest in USA as there are not many breeding males over there at the moment. Even if he isnt pure he may well be allowed to be used (health tests been done of course) to help the gene pool over there. Permission from the TDR would be required.

Once again welcome here and well done for rescuing him :D

trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by trina » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 am

I PM'ed John Bannow yesterday afternoon regarding this issue, but after further consideration (unless it is dire that Timber stay intact) I think we are going to go through with his castration this morning. I am supposed to drop him off between 8am and 8:30am CST this morning (Tuesday).

I know it might be beneficial for the breed to postpone his castration if he is, indeed, pure. However, the fact that he is not neutered has greatly affected how we spend our time with our dogs. We usually enjoy spending a couple of hours at the dog park, letting Bailey (our spayed female) run around and burn some energy, but we haven't gone since Timber's adoption since he is not neutered. I just don't want to unnecessarily add to the shelter population be being irresponsible.

I have very mixed emotions about this, but I'm going with my gut instinct. Hopefully, it's the right thing to do!

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:45 am

Hi Trina

Welcome to the forum and it is great that you have given Timber such a good home :)

We dont have dog parks in the UK like you do in the USA, but surely if people have bitches in heat they wouldnt take them to the dog park until the season was over? If they do it must cause havoc, as there are bound to be un-neutered males running around.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:30 am

Misaya wrote:Hi Trina

Welcome to the forum and it is great that you have given Timber such a good home :)

We dont have dog parks in the UK like you do in the USA, but surely if people have bitches in heat they wouldnt take them to the dog park until the season was over? If they do it must cause havoc, as there are bound to be un-neutered males running around.
where i walk sam, people let their bitches run round in heat because "most dogs in the area are female so why should they be kept on a lead just because YOU got a male" (exact quote off one of the old women who walks their little yapper thats yapped at sam everytime we see them... it's also made me consider the same thing :( ... i'm in the uk but i guess it's a possibility that there are people who let bitches in season run free all over...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:22 am

You wont believe this :lol: but in all the years of dog walking I have never
come across a bitch in heat that my dogs want to go after :lol: I
certainly wouldnt castrate for this reason :lol:

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:36 pm

As far as I know, there aren't any set rules regarding whether unspayed females are allowed at dog parks or not. (I don't visit dog parks so I don't know the rules an each parks' rules can be different) I am somewhat surprised that people will bring their intact dogs (male and female) to dog parks. However, no matter where we're located there will be people who do not use better judgement...

@Trina
Do whatever you feel is right. If Timber is pure and would pass health tests, then he'd still need to e approved by the TDR to be used at stud. Ultimately, he is your family member and what works beat for your family should come first. :)

ggtb5
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ggtb5 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:39 pm

arianwenarie wrote:

As far as I know, there aren't any set rules regarding whether unspayed females are allowed at dog parks or not. (I don't visit dog parks so I don't know the rules an each parks' rules can be different) I am somewhat surprised that people will bring their intact dogs (male and female) to dog parks. However, no matter where we're located there will be people who do not use better judgement...

Unfortunately I have seen both a few times on intact dogs. If dog parks are something that she wishes to do, I would recommend it. In my case, I don't have a pup yet but I plan on having him fixed because I would like to be able to bring him to dog parks without worry. I don't see why people would want to risk it, but they do and they blame others when things go wrong. Which is partially why we are stuck with overflowing dog shelters.

If dog parks aren't a big deal and can be omitted, I'd say go ahead and keep him intact if he checks out. Ultimately your call though Trina!

I do want to ask something. If he is indeed Tamaskan and not recognized by a TDR breeder, what is the likelihood that he came from RPK or some other puppy mill? More of an idle curiosity since these dogs aren't exactly common. I read that RPK was mixing other breeds into his Tams and that made me think of this question.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:18 pm

arianwenarie wrote:

@Trina
Do whatever you feel is right. If Timber is pure and would pass health tests, then he'd still need to e approved by the TDR to be used at stud. Ultimately, he is your family member and what works beat for your family should come first. :)

There are actually rules for bringing a female dog in heat to a dog park, atleast when I lived in Ohio there was one. I think it probably depends on where you live and probably which dog park you go too. The bark park back in Ohio where I used to take Mona Lisa too did not allow any female dogs that were in heat to enter the park nor did they allow dogs under 4 months of age. Other then those main rules you just had to make sure your dogs license tags were on them at all times. The rules are there but like many people have mentioned before it depends on if the people are willing to risk it with there dogs. Can't tell you how many times I ran into people who brought 14 week old puppies to the park them gave me the stink eye whenever Mona lisa picks on them or runs them over :roll:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 pm

We do not have dog parks in the UK, but you would have to be mad to take a bitch in season into an area with lots of dogs. It was bad enough taking Saga for a walk where I go, there is lots of space and most males are neutered, there are a few intact males around so I did have to be careful. I considered it my job to stop the males getting to her and protecting her honour, and it was the males owners job to come and collect their male, after all they are only doing what comes naturally :roll: Most owners were understanding about it, only my husband got a bad tempered male dog owner saying that he should not bring a bitch in season out at peak dog walking time, ironically she had just finished then :lol: Intact males will chase bitches in heat, not a lot you can do about it, other than neuter :lol:

I think you have to decide what is best for your family, you got your dog from a rescue as a family pet not as a stud male, just because it turns out that he is very likely to be a Tamaskan does not mean you have a duty to the breed to keep him intact, unless that is what you want to do.

Luna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luna » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:19 pm

JulieSmith wrote: I think you have to decide what is best for your family, you got your dog from a rescue as a family pet not as a stud male, just because it turns out that he is very likely to be a Tamaskan does not mean you have a duty to the breed to keep him intact, unless that is what you want to do.
I agree, first and foremost he is your family pet - and you should do whatever you feel comfortable doing. Castrated or not, it is still exciting to find out what his heritage is.

trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by trina » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:08 am

Thank you all so much! I definitely battled with my decision for the reasons I noted; however, in the end my gut told me to go ahead with his castration. So, he is now "off the market" so to speak. LOL But I definitely would love to learn more about where he came from, eventually! :)

trina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by trina » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:19 am

Looking back at this thread makes my heart sink... I hate seeing my baby boy behind those bars! I am so happy that our lives were brought together! <3 <3 <3

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:23 am

we are happy for you too, every dog deserves a happy life and every body willing to give it deserves a boy like him ;)

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein