Ramble Away...

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Ramble Away...

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:46 am

Katlin wrote:Wylie and I are going to start training with a proper harness for longboarding so we ordered our first x-back harness from a supplier that sells Manmat - about 3 hours away! I'm super excited to see it :)
Pics pls, when it arrives? :D

On a random note, I finally bought furniture and didn't break the bank (too badly...I was still somewhat within budget). And to make the day even better, I bought a nifty floor lamp for my living room without having to spend $70! Yay for Target clearance items! Haha.

Now, I'm debating on how I can fit both a hall table (near the front door) and a treadmill....I'm thinking I can have the treadmill parked next to my bay window area and then cram a shorter hall table in front of it. :\

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:45 pm

This is going to sound totally random!

I fell asleep in my math class and had a vision of some future Apple iPhones and Samsung phones that one can attach a USB towards and send Microsoft Word and pdf files to another's phone to view. Then I woke up and realized that my left hand was trying to plug my USB into my iPhone 5. :shock:

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:18 am

So, my neighbor complained to my landlord twice this month about Sam's noise... She said if she hears him again she will report me and complain to my landlord. My landlord works on a 3 complaint rule then you're out.

Well, I have to go to a school meeting on the first of next month about my son so I guess that will be my 3rd. My problem been there is a huge house shortage and a serious house shortage that allows pets (let alone noisy ones). If i lose this house, it could be months before i find another :(

I tried leaving him with my bf's parents, someone who he is somewhat familiar with, to see if i can leave him with them that day but he totally trashed the house (the only thing they could do was stand and watch while calling for us to come for him (still paying for damages, damn they have a lot of glasses... who needs that many? lol)...
The thought of finding him a loving family that could deal with him has flitted through my mind, one that may be a better owner than me... But that thought left when i thought of what he could possibly do been left with people he doesn't know (really doesn't like strangers, gets defensive, the thought of him hurting someone horrifies me).
I can't even think about the last option..!

I have gone through the doc Kylie sent me (thank you!), talked with 15 behaviorists and made a list of every possible technique... If non of this works, i will beg my vet for sedatives...
(keep fingers crossed because i don't know what to do if it doesn't work).

Oh and my mum called me a bad parent in front of a tent full of people, i was going to put it down to her been drunk but she said she is going to call the social services (the people that take kids away from parents) while not drunk on the grounds that i yell at them a lot and put the dog first... Apparently the dog eats better than the kids... Well, excuse me but if they want heart chunks and minced up meat with bone, offal, skin, fur, eyes etc etc etc then all they gotta do is ask... My daughter looked disgusted tho :lol:

If it wasn't for my son, how much help he needs at school, the fact the other kids ignore his bad behavior because they are used to him and how hard it is for him to make friends without hitting them... I would seriously skip the country. I have found places in other countries that are bigger and cheaper than this country. I have no reason to stay except the above reason... /sigh.

Hopefully i will be booking a weekend away for August to one of these locations... Would never want to leave but a few days better than none (£1100+ for a week). I've always wanted to live somewhere like this :D Love forest scenes...

Sorry for the long vent but family won't listen due to not wanting to take sides... and no one understands about the Sam situation...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:59 am

TerriHolt wrote:Well, I have to go to a school meeting on the first of next month about my son so I guess that will be my 3rd.
Can you have one of your friends come over to pet-sit for the time when you are away? That way Sam is on his home territory and shouldn't be too stressed out... a doggy babysitter of sorts. ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Ranty-rant about insurance agencies... I apologize in advance for the spectacular ones out there. :P

My insurance agent either did not understand my email properly or is a fool. I am thinking a combination of both.

I asked her which mailing address she has on file for my health insurance policy - I provided her all 3 of my mailing addresses. She replies and tells me that they're all fake addresses and that since she was a victim of identity theft, she won't give me her address. At no point in time did I ever ask her what HER address was. I specifically told me to tell me which address I listed is the mailing address she input to the health insurance profile so that I know where the hell my new policy information is going. If she has an old address on file, obviously, I'm not getting anything in the mail!!! She's changed the mailing address on various policies I have with her agency multiple times without telling me. This time, I lost it and snapped at her over email. Probably a bad move on my part, but I was somewhat professionally snarky. :\ If my insurance policy goes to my mother's investment property...well, surely that does me NO GOOD.

I'm waiting on her reply...or I could just storm her office since she's in the office complex next to my work. :)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:35 am

Sylvaen wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:Well, I have to go to a school meeting on the first of next month about my son so I guess that will be my 3rd.
Can you have one of your friends come over to pet-sit for the time when you are away? That way Sam is on his home territory and shouldn't be too stressed out... a doggy babysitter of sorts. ;)

I could have swore i answered this :?

Anyhow, there are only me and my bf who Sam will listen to (and that is at a push these days). Anyone else he will jump up, nip and be a general pest. I tried a doggy sitter and they left with a black eye :oops: .

My partners dad will sit with Sam on the first but it will be outside school, in the car (doggy guard stopping him from been a pest). I'm just worried it will take steps back in the "getting in the car" dept and i'm not going to be able to take him to school in the mornings.

So desperately looking for some sort of small holding, about 1-3 acre's that is not near people... I told my neighbor that i'm working on it but i can't do it with no noise at all... She said i'd best start looking for a new house then :roll: ...
arianwenarie wrote:I'm waiting on her reply...or I could just storm her office since she's in the office complex next to my work.
I would storm the office... But then again i always make bad decisions :lol:

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm gonna rant for a moment;

I'm 100% DONE with irresponsible, useless dog owners!

Last week Monobi got attacked by some stupid husky, we were walking in the woods and there was that lady coming my way with 2 dogs, one was a husky mix the other one seemed a legit one. The legit one immediately fixated Monobi and walked straight at him, then kept the threatening stance and just jumped at Monobi, which made him flee around my legs and then when I couldn't help him because it just happened too fast, he went between the trees and made very high pitched, anxious barks at the other dog who just kept to threaten. And the stupid owner just stood there and looked at me with an "oopsie!" expression.

Now I just walked to the pet store to buy some canned dog food and on my way back there is that little under-knee-sized dog with husky markings (hah), who also stared and came straight at my dog. The owner (some guy with a broken arm and a little kid with him) shouted "OI!", which made the dog stop in tracks for a split second, but then the little f-ing thing came our way anyway and attacked Monobi, hacking at his back/hind and again I couldn't do a thing because they were around my legs and behind me, and on top of that Monobi was leashed.

He NEVER bites back, ever. He used to in the beginning, but now I guess he expects me to protect him/do a thing because I established my rank as his leader and guardian, but all these little asshole dogs...! And I always hold back because I don't know if I can just grab the other dog or kick it off or anything, like if it is within my right. But you know what? I'm just gonna make it my right, there. It pisses me off that I fail my dog anytime this happens. I feel like a huge let-down to him.

I was so mad at that guy, he obviously seemed to know his tyke is an unpleasant little guy, so why DO YOU KEEP HIM OFF LEASH YOU F-CKER?, especially when you're handicapped and unable to interfere if things escalate?

I swear next time I'm not holding back, I'll kick dogs with full force to send them flying, and if I break their ribs, I don't give a fuck, not gonna take the blame for people being unable to control their pets anymore, forcing me to defend mine against theirs.
Control your f-ing dogs, or I will!

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:02 pm

I love how you said f*ck once and sort of bleeped it the other times

I know how frustrating this is because I feel that one of the biggest aspects of owning a dog is knowing ALL of its quirks and how to adjust accordingly. Its safer for everybody involved. I am sorry this keeps happening to you and your dog - once when my husband was walking our old dog they were both met with a galloping muscle dog who jumped onto our dog. My husband is lucky because he held nothing back getting the dog off and served a swift sweep to lay it on its back (it wasn't hurt and there was no ill feelings, he checked with the owner when they EVENTUALLY came hauling to grab their dog).

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Understand how you feel, sad that you get these encounters so often :( After dealing with strays in our area on walks, I will not hesitate either, it is frustrating because it seems the people living in our neighborhood don't care about their dogs enough.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:19 pm

I know there is a way to break up dog fights (there is an awesome article about it on the f/b page) but it doesn't help in wide areas or if there isn't somebody else to help.

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm trying to determine what it is that makes them pick on Monobi. As far as I know, he's always been the punching bag of other dogs, back in Romania, and here, too.

He just wants to be left alone. It's kind of the same scenario as if you walk down the street and some thugs at the corner haul insults your way because they're just stupid pricks who can't get a "I'm purposely ignoring you so please leave me alone I just want peace and nothing else in this world" body posture. Or willingly ignore that because yeah, they're just pricks.

Monobi isn't exactly a social butterfly when it comes to other dogs, but he never attacks them. Sure, sometimes he's not perfect himself and charges at other dogs on walks which come up when I'm not paying attention to call him off, but he never gets into their personal space, tries to mount them (they do that with him though, mostly intact males because appearently since Monobi got neutered, he smells like a bitch in heat) or hacks at them. He just runs at them, makes some commotion as in huff-barks and then comes back to me being all LOOK MOMMA I DID KEEP HIM AWAY :D. And sometimes I even let him do that, because when I already see dogs come our wy with fixated stare, ears pointing front and tail up, why not let him run their way and be all "If you come here and be an ass I'm going to kick your's!"

Yeah like, obviously I'm not going to kick dogs with full force next time (I just said that because I just came back and was still buttmad), but I will take action.
Perhaps trying this "grab backlegs and walk backwards in cirlces to seperate dogs" - since Monobi doesn't fight back and just wants to get away, I think I can handle it by myself, even if the owner stands there dumbfolded.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:37 pm

no no, I do not condone kicking dogs willy nilly and know there are better ways - my husband didn't Spartan kick the dog, more of swept its feet out from under it :p I am sure picking up back legs and spinning is better, but I would suggest being really careful when using any method to break things up as even that method I assume can have its repercussions if not executed correctly

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:38 pm

I've only encountered a loose dog on a few occasions and they seemed friendly. On all of those occasions, Abby went behind me and sat down to let me deal with it. I've managed to get the loose dog to leave us alone by literally yelling at it to "Get out!" and pointing in the direction I wanted him/her to go. I've stamped my foot for emphasis before too...it worked.

I used to carry a "walking stick" - which is 3 small bamboo sticks taped together with duct tape. It creates a scary slapping sound when hit against an object - I never use it to hit anyone with...but won't hesitate to do so if absolutely necessary. Apparently, it also makes me look bigger (to other dogs). lol. I don't carry it around anymore since it's a hassle - I like to have both my hands free when walking. Haha.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:52 pm

arianwenarie wrote:
I used to carry a "walking stick" - which is 3 small bamboo sticks taped together with duct tape. It creates a scary slapping sound when hit against an object - I never use it to hit anyone with...but won't hesitate to do so if absolutely necessary. Apparently, it also makes me look bigger (to other dogs). lol. I don't carry it around anymore since it's a hassle - I like to have both my hands free when walking. Haha.
I like that idea and can totally see it working!

My biggest worry is for the more ... hmm, courageous (I guess, for lack of words) dogs who have one goal in mind and are not intimidated easily. I assume there are multiple methods for stopping or getting a dog off another dog when spinning may not be in the cards (such as if a person isn't strong enough) or doesn't have a walking stick - to the internet and other resources!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:08 pm

balto13 wrote:
arianwenarie wrote:
I like that idea and can totally see it working!

My biggest worry is for the more ... hmm, courageous (I guess, for lack of words) dogs who have one goal in mind and are not intimidated easily. I assume there are multiple methods for stopping or getting a dog off another dog when spinning may not be in the cards (such as if a person isn't strong enough) or doesn't have a walking stick - to the internet and other resources!
I've heard that the walking stick thing works...lol. The idea is pretty much the same how shepherds have their herding sticks - it's dual purpose: herds the sheep and makes him look bigger so he looks intimidating.

Usually, a dog isn't stupid enough to pick a fight that he knows he won't win. Stand your ground, puff yourself up and intimidate the offending dog to leave you alone. If it seems like the dog is trying to get behind you, then put your back against a solid object (fence, tree, wall, etc) since dogs have the highest chance of success by attacking from behind (this is also why many dogs don't like other dogs approaching them from behind).

You can also point the stick outwards as if it were an extension of your arm to make yourself look bigger too. Yell at the dog, make a big fuss (like how some dogs will be crazy reactive to keep other dogs away) and whatever you can do to make the approaching dog retreat. Just don't run away. ;)

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:17 pm

I like the stick idea so much because I know that there are people who could not spin a dog (such as people with service dogs)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:56 pm

balto13 wrote:I like the stick idea so much because I know that there are people who could not spin a dog (such as people with service dogs)
The wheelbarrow/spinning technique usually requires two people especially if both (or more) dogs are in the thick of it. However, if you can clearly see one dog is trying their best to defend themselves and get away, then grab the offender and spin so the other dog can flee. :P

I usually panic when a dog fight breaks out, so all rational thought goes out the window...at which point, I become useless. lol.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:28 pm

and there are some people who could execute the back leg grab confidently - I can see the advantage of it, but am glad to hear about alternative ways that have been successful. More tools to add to the box if you ask me :)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Of course. It's always good to have more than one tool in the box. ;)

The most important thing people tend to forget when doing the "wheelbarrow" thing with dogs is to swing - it's the swinging motion that forces the dog to concentrate on maintaining balance and moving their front legs to do so. Since they're doing that, the human's odds of being bitten is vastly decreased.

I never knew that until I was taught how to break up a dog fight from a Handling & Safety seminar I took and I'm very glad I went - learned a ton of stuff!

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:21 pm

Best article I've ever read about Tesla :D

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

It also explains why I do not like Edison, especially after all the horrid experiments he conducted.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Found a photo a friend of a friend took today during our DOGSDFW meet up today that she posted on Instagram :) http://statigr.am/p/515160294839209834_195984530 Well, you can see the comments on there ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:15 am

Vent~
So one of my friends plans on breeding his huskies but was trying to wait till they were old enough (2 years), but his girl (only a year and 2 or 5 months) went into heat and while he had his back turned ended up being mated with his 10 month old male. He asked for advice on Instagram and of course many are like, "Oh yey! Cute couple", "I want a puppy!" "My dog got pregnant at 1 year old and she is okay" :roll: There were a couple that mentioned that the vet could give her some shots that will prevent the pregnancy, so he went to the vet the next morn. The way the vet explained it, he said it would be too cruel to kill the puppies with those shots (remember, this is the morning after the mating happened the night before), so he is going to wait it out and see if she is pregnant or not.
End rant/vent~

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:39 am

that is more than ridiculous
Image Image

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:26 pm

D:

It was Abby's "birthday" yesterday....and I forgot. Ah, well....she's 6 years old now! :D

SapphireDragon
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SapphireDragon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Tiantai wrote:Best article I've ever read about Tesla :D

It also explains why I do not like Edison, especially after all the horrid experiments he conducted.
Wow. I had no idea Edison did all those things, I always knew Tesla was awesome, but this is just incredible. Thanks for posting this. ^^

And this is my first post here, I've been lurking for quite a while, but came here from the fb page. Glad to be here to support Tamaskans. :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:33 pm

SapphireDragon wrote:
Tiantai wrote:Best article I've ever read about Tesla :D

Wow. I had no idea Edison did all those things, I always knew Tesla was awesome, but this is just incredible. Thanks for posting this. ^^

And this is my first post here, I've been lurking for quite a while, but came here from the fb page. Glad to be here to support Tamaskans. :)
Welcome to the forum! It's nice to have you here :)

If you're interested to learn more about Tesla, I highly recommend this book... I read it many years ago but found it very interesting:

Next time we visit the Croatian coast, we'll probably stop by to visit the (rebuilt) house where he was born, in Smiljan, which is about 2 hours drive from where we live in Zagreb. It now a popular tourist site: the Nikola Tesla Memorial Centre. :)

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:02 pm

My grandparents went to North Pole, Alaska and got me a Alaska wolf t-shirt. It looks great except I noticed one of the wolves is a Mexican wolf!
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Valravn wrote:My grandparents went to North Pole, Alaska and got me a Alaska wolf t-shirt. It looks great except I noticed one of the wolves is a Mexican wolf!
Can you post a screenshot? I'd like to see it.

I understand the humour though considering that a few post cards here in Toronto sold with the "Ontario" label on them feature Northeastern coyotes (Canis latrans thamnos) but have mistakenly labelled them as "Grey wolves" (Canis lupus) which is only half right being that all of the Grey wolves here in Ontario have varying percentage of coyotes in them. But then on the other hand we have those cards that feature TRUE Grey wolves from BC but has the wrong "Ontario" province on the front.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:23 am

*vent*

Goddam so today I went back to my old school to grab a copy of a transcript to give to my coordinators of my current program to show proof that I have already taken a course on my current timetable to get an exemption on it. On the way to my current campus, I passed by a group of teens who went off asking me for a lighter which I responded "sorry, I don't smoke" and one of the boys with a disgusting pot breath said "oh c'mon, you're Asian!" and I was just like "I beg your pardon?!" And then one of them burst out and started acting like even more of a baffoon yelling "you wanna pick a fight with us?" So realizing that they were just juveniles up for trouble I walked off ignoring them. Then when I was at midtown, another group of weirdos, these guys seemed older were like "yo! are you a boy or a girl?" The tone of that speaker's voice sounded like a rhetorical question but I just kindly responded, "a man". Then he was like "you bald? Why are you wearing that stupid wig?" so then I just ignored him. For one thing, I am NOT wearing a wig and they knew it! But then later when I stopped by at a coffee stop for a washroom break when I walked out and there was that same group of which one of the men was like "Hey cashier this lady was in the men's washroom!" and just to defend myself I told the cashier "I'm NOT a woman!" and then those weirdos started laughing like assholes as I walked out and head to the bus. I almost lost my sanity but just glad I held on and not elongate the problem. The world is not an easy place for a feminine man like me to navigate sometimes.

Why on earth are there so many crazy people? :evil:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:07 am

Some people are just jerks trying to "look cool" in front of their friends by belittling others that are different than them. Just continue to ignore them, don't even acknowledge their presence.

Maybe you should play along with the "Asian sterotype" and braid your long hair like a queue, and walk around in some more traditional Asian clothing ;) (just kidding!) :lol:

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:44 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:Some people are just jerks trying to "look cool" in front of their friends by belittling others that are different than them. Just continue to ignore them, don't even acknowledge their presence.

:lol:

Don't worry Jo, I'm cooled down now. Figured that I was after all passing through a rogue-infested neighbourhood. On Jane Street from the intersection of Jane/Steeles Avenue to Jane/Wilson Avenue has long been dubbed as "the Bad Area" before I was born. It is the WORST area in the entire North York region of Toronto. There are so many drug dealers, illegal gun importers, and various maniacs who have been causing trouble for decades living there. To be fair, I do have good friends living around these areas and some who used to who have experienced worst than I did today. The bad-mouth idiots are just tiny fleas in comparison to the bigger thugs who infest those neighbourhood. I'm just glad I live 5 blocks away from there but having experienced and escaped from those weirdos I will stay clear from that area for now on to avoid running into such fools. According to a friend of mine who once reported several maniacs for harrassment, the said neighbourhoods in those areas are also known to contain the biggest population of early highschool drop-outs in the Greater Toronto Area.

HiTenshi16 wrote:Maybe you should play along with the "Asian sterotype" and braid your long hair like a queue, and walk around in some more traditional Asian clothing ;) (just kidding!) :lol:
I don't see how carrying a lighter around is in anyway an Asian-stereotype. Like any cultural group there are those people who smoke and those like me who don't. The only time when I carry a lighter is when I go off to the cemetery to pay respect ancestors of mine and plug incense sticks in front of the grave stones or burn joss paper. I'm not even going to bother discussing that any further, the clowns were clearly high on marijuana. I smelled the weed the moment they approached me. personally though, I don't really see myself as a "true Asian" anyways. I'm born Torontonian and English has always been my primary language plus whenever speaking any of the other 7 languages I have learnt or still learning I tend to have this anglophone Canadian accent. My relatives in the far east often compliment that I "sound like a westerner" which I pretty much am :mrgreen:

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:19 am

HOAs are ridiculous..we all know that. Here's another grand example of mine:

They will fine me $50/day until I remove an outdoor rug from MY back patio that I've placed by my back door. If I fail to pay the fines and let it accumulate, they have the right to foreclose on my property.

I use the darn thing to wipe off dirt and debris from my shoes (especially after the mow the common areas) on my way into the house. Overgrown shrubs, missing patio screen door...those things, OK. I understand why those are valid HOA violations. Overgrown shrubs could damage the fence and foundation (extreme case), missing patio screen door really is just aesthetics, but since everyone has one, I cannot argue it (plus, it's in the deed restrictions). But a OUTDOOR RUG?! It's water resistant, doesn't mold/mildew/grow algae, it's placed on concrete and most important of all: it's not damaging anything or anyone. If it's my neighbors who are complaining about my outdoor rug, then I'll speak with them. But then again, WHY WOULD THEY CARE?! I'm 99.9% certain it's just my HOA being assholes and have nothing better to do with their time than to give their residents a hell of a time with violation after violation so that they'll move out of the neighborhood to harass the next poor fool that moves in.

That's definitely NOT what HOAs were created for...they're here to maintain the quality and decency of the neighborhood. Not harass their residents left and right and upside down. Plus, with the threat of foreclosure, they really have way too much power in their hands...when originally, it wasn't designed to be this way.

/end rant

I've gotta drive up to Austin today...and I'm hella tired from a long day at work. At least Abby will be keeping me company in the back seat. :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:54 am

That has got to be one of the most rediculous 'violations' I've ever heard. When my husband and I were looking around for a house, we made sure there were no HOAs, because all it seems they do is harass people (never heard anything good about one yet).

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:29 am

I've never heard such a stupid thing! Really?! This is why I refuse to move into any sort of apartment / condo / townhouse (thank god for duplexes lol!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:05 am

I made it to Austin... yey! I'm soooo tired. lol. Abby kept breathing on me with her doggy breath practically the entire way and kept wanting to cuddle. Sure, I love to cuddle with Abby, but definitely NOT when I'm driving (that's why she's secured in the back seat).

I just finished a professionally BS'd email to my HOA - good thing is the lady that handles violations for my particular building is rather nice. :) Still working on the patio screen (or lack thereof) violation. -_- Stupid solar screen companies need to get back to me lest I pester the bejeesus out of them on Monday. Deadline is approaching! D:

I've also argued with my HOA for literally 2 months over the damned paint color of my front door and shutter...they kept insisting the previous owners painted it black (my neighbor's is truly black) and it wasn't until I bought the paint (that cannot be returned) and demanded an HOA board member meet me at my property and tell me the paint color is WRONG and the light MUST be shining on the door in order to truly assess the color. After my demand, they supposedly had someone go out there and check again...saw that it was indeed the right color, apologized for the inconvenience and closed the matter for good. If someone else brings up the damned paint color again, I'll be super pissed. XD

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:17 am

Ok, so my HOA got back to me and elaborated which rug they were referring to - I had left a rug out to dry over my fence that I forgot to bring back into the house for ONE day. They're talking about that one...which was gone the next day, but the violation already went out. That left the only rug in question to be the one by my back door...stupid HOA, be clear and concise when issuing a violation, dammit! :roll:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Since there's really no other place to share this, I thought I'd post here. This is what has been occupying my time for the past year or so at work :)

Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:28 am

Random:

I'm making (dog) cookies and I didn't realize Abby drooled enough to fill a pool on the kitchen floor...guess who stepped in it. -_-

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:01 am

Lol! Hope you were not wearing socks, I hate stepping in anything wet while wearing socks :P

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:31 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:Lol! Hope you were not wearing socks, I hate stepping in anything wet while wearing socks :P
Unfortunately, I was wearing socks...thank goodness the laundry nook is in the kitchen/dining area. lol.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:28 pm

arianwenarie wrote:
HiTenshi16 wrote:Lol! Hope you were not wearing socks, I hate stepping in anything wet while wearing socks :P
Unfortunately, I was wearing socks...thank goodness the laundry nook is in the kitchen/dining area. lol.
GROSS >.<
Hawthorne wrote:Since there's really no other place to share this, I thought I'd post here. This is what has been occupying my time for the past year or so at work :)

Cool video! The narration is a little dry / uninspiring but the cinematography is really good. :D

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:16 pm

arianwenarie wrote:Random:

I'm making (dog) cookies and I didn't realize Abby drooled enough to fill a pool on the kitchen floor...guess who stepped in it. -_-
Every time my roomate feeds my lab the same thing happens (it's raw and he's been fed kibble his entire 8 years so this is a big deal lol). It's gross...and in the morning I never pay attention, makes for extra laundry :lol: :roll:
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Katlin wrote:
arianwenarie wrote:Random:

Every time my roomate feeds my lab the same thing happens (it's raw and he's been fed kibble his entire 8 years so this is a big deal lol). It's gross...and in the morning I never pay attention, makes for extra laundry :lol: :roll:
Ew... Thank goodness it doesn't happen during mealtimes - there's only a few drops that's caught by a towel. :lol: I believe I tortured Abby last night...the cookies went into the dehydrator for 8 hours overnight. :? The house smells like (dog) cookies! :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:39 pm

I hope this post does not cause any perverted misunderstanding but apparently I was at a swimming pool on Friday and someone brought their dog, an English Pointer I think, into the change room because they didn't want to leave him in the car. The owner said he was friends with the manager and that the dog usually goes into her office while he is life-guarding.

So then a kid in the shower, completely naked with his shorts on the floor just on his feet, was cleaning himself and the dog was like barking insanely at him, ignoring all the other people who still had their swimming shorts on. The kid panicked and pulled his shorts back on before running outside but I noticed that the dog stopped barking after he did that. Then the owner immediately grabbed the dog and went to the office. :shock: I only saw the dog while in the pool staring out the door of the office afterwards. I did hear jokes from one of the men that the dog was saying "cover yourself up!" but I don't know if it was actually reacting because the person was bottomless or just getting excited because the person is a kid out of all the other adults that were in there. Most of the other men were shouting at the owner about him bringing the dog in there which I can totally understand that outrage

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:25 pm

So, Sam's taken his SA to a new level... He learned how to open the (locked) windows... He opened my kitchen window and jumped out, luckily my neighbour from a few doors down managed to coax him into his house before anything happened and looked after him till i got back. The moment of coming home and seeing an open window was quite horrifying, all sorts of horror images went through my head (theft, cars, lorries, buses river) ...

Now, I'm faced with a new problem... I don't have anywhere in the house to keep him that doesn't have windows... Anyone have any ideas for blocking a window up to stop escapee's?

I'm thinking of converting the under stairs cupboard (aka junk cupboard) into a doggy room and trying some from of sound proofing. It's bigger than a crate and I can secure it... I just wonder if it will get too stuffy and if lack of windows/light will be a problem? Or could the dark help?

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm

TerriHolt wrote:So, Sam's taken his SA to a new level... He learned how to open the (locked) windows... He opened my kitchen window and jumped out, luckily my neighbour from a few doors down managed to coax him into his house before anything happened and looked after him till i got back. The moment of coming home and seeing an open window was quite horrifying, all sorts of horror images went through my head (theft, cars, lorries, buses river) ...

Now, I'm faced with a new problem... I don't have anywhere in the house to keep him that doesn't have windows... Anyone have any ideas for blocking a window up to stop escapee's?

I'm thinking of converting the under stairs cupboard (aka junk cupboard) into a doggy room and trying some from of sound proofing. It's bigger than a crate and I can secure it... I just wonder if it will get too stuffy and if lack of windows/light will be a problem? Or could the dark help?
Oh geez, Sam.... :( Glad to hear he's OK though. How do your windows open? If they slide horizontally, then maybe find a piece of wood to block the track. If they're the tilt type where you have to push it open and it tilts to jut outside, then you could see if you can get something to prop it shut from the outside (it won't look pretty from the outside though..lol.) If they slide vertically up, then put a piece of wood to keep them closed.

Sorry that I'm not of much help... :| I don't think the dark will help him though...darkness is pretty scary. :P

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:13 pm

They are just handles facing down and turn to the side to open... I've tried cutting down one of my birds perches to kinda wedge it but it won't stay... I'm just going to have to block the window with a shelving unit and hope he can't move it. Not sure how he unlocked my window tho...

I'm going to get this room sorted (bye bye fence money :lol: ), it has a light in it, I just thought I remembered someone saying to cover a crate because the dark creates a cosy, secure feeling? Can't quite remember where i saw it now... Sound proofing is going to cost a fair bit but it may give me more time to work with SA without the added complication of "the witch next door" (kids words not mine lol) getting all 'bang on the doorsy' when i'm not in with the added bonus of keeping outside noise out (in theory). Just need to work out how to ventilate and keep the sound proof bit...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:48 am

You're right about the dark, cozy den thing...if the dog is comfortable and relaxed in that setting by himself/herself. The latter part is what concerns me: Sam has SA. XD Darkness + SA, I believe, will be VERY scary. D:

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:57 am

Rant about my HOA again....sorry folks.

This is what I come home to after spending the morning and early afternoon going shopping for some *it'sasecret* stuff. :\

I've complained to the HOA twice already and they told me the landscaping team is going to take care of it. Well, they sprinkled some white powder that looks quite like powdered sugar on it the first time. Once the rain (and sprinkler system) washed all that away, I complained again - they came and swept the ant piles off my door frame. Less than 2 weeks later and in the course of 7 hours, I come home to an effin ant pile IN MY HOUSE.

This is NOT COOL and these are some huge fire ants. I am very happy to announce that Wondercide Evolv also works on fire ants and like a charm. But the nest is still somewhere and it's very likely IN my door frame or UNDER it as I realized today that the metal step attached to the door (sorry, don't know what it's called) isn't flush completely with the floor - there's a significant gap and I've seen a ton of fire ants crawl out of there. I've sprayed the entire area with the Evolv and my house indefinitely smells like cedar (ew), but it's better than having my house invaded by fire ants - the interior anyway. So far, they're not in the house again...I will see what happens tomorrow morning.

These idiots (HOA) better do something about this...any lawyers know of what I can do about this problem if HOA doesn't rectify it? Though, I don't have the funds to file a lawsuit over nuisance ants. XD

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:43 am

The ants must of smelled the dog cookies you were making and invited themselves in.
Joking aside, is not the only way to get rid of the nest is by killing the source (the queen) with certain pesticides? :( If the nest is in the frame, wouldn't they have to tear it up to get rid of the nest if to avoid using pesticides?