Funny, strange and quirky things your dogs do.

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Mylingen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Funny, strange and quirky things your dogs do.

Post by Mylingen » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:36 am

I think something similar to this existed on one of the old forums.
It would be interesting and funny to read about what weird things your dogs are up to.
Personally I think it would be cool if you would mention what breed your dog is as well.

Ookami (Tamaskan) has a habit of disturbing my phone calls. If I am the only human in the house,
and I am on the phone, he will start howling and talking and wooooo-ing throughout the whole phone call.
I have to let him out in the garden to get some peace!
When he plays with toys he will often throw them around, really far and high. They often land on top of tables or shelves or on my head! :lol:

Our other Tamaskan Makoyi watches telly - a lot. She can sometimes watch a whole program without once looking away.
And when she and Ookami play with each other she will grab one of his legs and use it as a tug toy! He is always so patient though, bless him.

My mongrel (GSD-Labrador-Siberian Husky-Old English Sheepdog X) Tamlin is a quirky old man in general, but one strange thing in particular is that he growls when he is happy or excited. Like when we get home, or are on our way out for a walk or when he is playing. Sometimes when it's feeding time too. And if you blow air into his face he will go all mad and run around the house like a maniac!

So, what funny things do your dogs do? :)

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Funny, strange and quirky things your dogs do.

Post by Gaby » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:02 pm

Haha, that are really funny things! I like the watching telly from Makoyi, I haven't met a dog who watches a whole programme! :lol:

My dog Rhodin (Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog) can act like he is about to puke. Then he makes the moves like he is about to puke, but he is faking it. He discovered it when he wasn't feeling good, that if he did that, we put him in the garden. And now he does it sometimes, like on family days at my parents house, when it is busy and he wants some rest and go outside. When I say that it's fake, people don't believe me, so he always has success when he does this. Off course not at home, so he doesn't do it here any more.

And he likes to have a soft place to lie. When we are somewhere else and he doesn't like the place he has to lie down, he is sighing and you can really see he wants a nice comfy bed in stead of a blanket. Also he hates puddle's and mud. He wants his coat clean and he doesn't like rain or cold. We even had to buy a warm coat for him because he wouldn't go outside any more when it was really cold in the winter. He is such a wimp. :lol:

And he also gets really frustrated when you blow in his face, just like Tamlin. :D

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:50 pm

Ulric (Tamaskan) will wear the seat-belt whenever he rides in my front passenger seat on car rides. He taught himself this which is why I find it funny. He climbs in from the driver side and into the other seat and will get under the belt, such a good boy! You can't give Ulric "the look" when he is in trouble, it just does not work with him, he will keep looking back at you with a smile, not pay attention, as if you were not doing it in the first place. He also loves to take my husband's spot on the bed right away after he has gotten up.

Rukia (German Shepherd/ Blue Heeler-Lab) is such a girl. She does not like to get dirty, there will be a mud puddle at the park and while all the others will run through it, she will always go around. She also can not stand sharing the bed with Ulric, no matter how much room is on it. Ulric actually got on and stood over her while she was laying on the bed and she just slapped him in the face! :lol: I never knew a dog could slap something the same way we would. She also knows how to open a tightly screwed jar of peanuts. One other thing about her is she is addicted to the laser pointer. Her eyes will dilate and is always ready to go after it, then after putting it away, she whines and whimpers until it is taken out again so we have to go about a month before she forgets about it and we can play with it again.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Kenai (Tamaskan) is very very clever. He found out how to open all the pen doors and let all my dogs out into one large crowd! not good when some of them dont like each other. When he first did it I thought someone had left all the gates open..couldnt imagine anyone being that daft. It happened again and again so one day I cleaned everywhere up and left for the house and watched from the window. Kenai aka Yogi went along all the gates and opened every single one of them allowing all the dogs out into a central exercise area. I now have to padlock every gate.

His other self taught trick is to play catch. I use a kong not a ball. I threw it for him one day when he was young and he caught it. He really enjoyed this so we played catch for quite some time over the months. Then he decided that he would throw it back... yep! thought it a fluke the first time but he does it every time now and has done for last couple of years. He does it by lowering his head/jaw with Kong in it and then flicking it up at top speed same time letting go of Kong. Every time it is well aimed and I can catch it. I have thrown back and forth for about 6 times before he either drops it or throws it the wrong direction.

He has a new trick now which is VERY annoying. When I am mopping up in the pens he grabs his Kong and throws it in the mop bucket causing an emormous splash which soaks me with dirty water. He was doing it so often that now I have to leave the bucket outside and keep walking in and out with the mop :lol: He thinks it great fun and def does it on purpose and is aim is pheonominal for a dog :lol: This is the dog I use for filmwork and promotions as he is def' clever ;)

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:04 am

Dylan (Tamaskan) is our TV watcher. Put on an animal show and he is hooked. If it is a show about dogs or wolves he will not only stare at the TV, he will walk around the TV to try and find them. Very cute.

Luna (Tamaskan)...where do I begin!! First we call her Miss Piggy. If there is a mud hole in a 25 mile radius, she will find it!! She will take a running start and land flat on her belly smiling the whole time. She is also part cat. She likes to walk along the back of the couch, sleep wrapped around my head on the bed and once I caught her on top of the refrigerator. Yes, on top of the refrigerator. Her last quirk is that she does a silent bark. She goes through the barking motion, but nothing comes out. This way we can't tell her to be quiet.

Loki (Shepherd, Chow, and other stuff mix) loves to have the inside of his hind legs rubbed. We call them crotch rubs. He will lay for hours and let you rub him like that. His new "sign" that he would like some rubbing in his favorite place is to walk up to you and lift his hind leg. He looks like he is going to pee on you; but no, he just wants some rubbing :D
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:11 am

Snoopy(yorkie) knows our cat's names. If I say "meeko" he leaps off the couch and barks, looking for the cat. He also chases light beams and laser pointers, as well as dust particles and hair balls. Giving him a haircut is a nightmare!

After his bath he will TEAR around the house at top speed. I'll try and catch a vid later because it's just hilarious. Sometimes he will lower his face to the ground whilst running and falls a few seconds after, he never seems to learn :lol: :roll:

Lily (my older black lab who no longer lives with me) loves to chew logs. She will pick up a 1/4 log off the stack and gnaw on it for several hours until there is nothing left. She digests them just fine (by some miracle :roll:).
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:17 am

Ayasca likes to walk between your legs usually from the front, but sometimes from the back (which is quite disconcerting if you're not expecting it!). He uses it as a greeting. Unfortunately my legs are a little on the short side which makes it a bit ackward. Sometimes he flops down midway for a belly rub (his favourite), Also when they playfight the fur must irritate their noses, as between play growls there is a huge amount of sneezing goes on. Kind of spoils the ambience :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Not a Tamaskan but a scruffy little mongrel rescued from an Irish puppy farm and bought to UK. My friend called to see me with this little girl one day, the dog had never been to my house before. My friend and I decided to go to the shops and so we introduced the little girl (Molly) to my dogs out the back in their secure garden...this was several years ago. Seeing that all was well and everyone happy we set off to the shops in my friends car. Imagine our shock on our return to find Molly sitting on the bonnet of 'my' car out on the street! Not only had she escaped from the garden...we never did find out how... but she had gone through the front garden onto the road and jumped up on my car bonnet and curled up there presumably to wait for my friend to return for her... how weird is that :lol:

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Exellent idea for a thread!!

The list is pretty long with Sasha (she is affectionately known as "weird dog" here) but main weirdnesses are-

Standing on anything that lifts her even slightly off floor height
Watching telly too but only animal programs
Waking you up in the middle of the night by putting her face right by yours in bed and staring at you
Always saving her baby, Bea the springer pup , just a little bit of her dinner and she lets her know when she is allowed to eat it by tapping her on the shoulder with her paw!!
Looking (and acting) quite like an overgrown cat according to my brother!!

We could go on!! :lol:

The other dogs I have and have had have always had an array of little querks and amusing habbits but I have to say Sasha really does win paws down on the weird stakes!! :lol: :roll:

Oh yeah she opens every door in the house too in or out unless you lock it!! That is very annoying :roll:

I have just remembered another thing...she pogos up and down on her back legs if she sees anything interesting when walking out on the lead! Very strange dog :lol:

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 am

Love this thread, but wish there were more posts! Mowgli is the only dog I have ever known that audibly farts. These loud farts don't smell, but they are hilarious!! He often does it when stretching or jumping off the bed. This morning shortly after I woke up he was sitting on the floor looking at me, tooted, and just sat there, looking cute as can be! :lol:

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:13 am

Like most people, we have a towel hanging up in the bathroom. Kumho has decided that it shouldn't be hanging up and always pulls it down, sometimes dragging it out into the hallway. The two of us are in a constant battle of determining where the towel should be. He does it with the dishtowel too if I leave it hanging on the oven door. No clue as to why this amuses him so.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:32 am

Wylie likes to run under dogs, no matter how big or small. He is larger than my lab and when he runs underneath Sam poor Sammy's legs get lifted off the ground. Wylie has sent several little dogs flying through the air and my best friend's border collie is now terrified of him lol! :lol: :roll:
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:58 am

Pepper likes to sniff every footprint (human or animal) which makes it really annoying when it has snowed.

Also if she is in another room and hears you spraying fabreeze she will rush over and then roll around on the floor where the spray has fallen and doing a funny growly noise at the same time.