What's in a name?

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
jmarino82
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

What's in a name?

Post by jmarino82 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:22 am

I thought it'd be fun if we all talked about how we chose our dog's names. All our animals have unique names, and I'm sure the stories behind them have as much meaning as the dogs themselves. How did your pets get their names? :)

My dog Luna came through from the American rescue named such, but growing up I had a German Shep. named Thumpers. He has these huge paws as a pup and was named after the rabbit who thumped his feet in Bambi (I was 5) so it stuck. I currently have w cat named Stinker because when I adopted her from the shelter she had trouble with the cheaper food, we'll just leave it at that. :oops:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: What's in a name?

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:09 am

I felt Ulric was a fitting name for my boy because it meant "power of the wolf" and it was also the in-hiding name of a character in my favorite movie "A Knights Tale" - Ulric von Liechtenstein. Using the full name is his nickname by a lot of my friends :)

Rukia, my German Shepherd mix was named after a character in my brothers at the time favorite anime called Bleach. She used to be my brothers dog but we took her in since he couldn't care for her, I chose her name simply because the character had black hair and Rukia also has black hair.

My Lovebird's name is Alex because when she was younger, she was too young to tell if she was a boy or girl, so I picked a name that would fit both genders so I wouldn't have to change it when I did find out she was really a she and not a he.

RoyAM
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RoyAM » Tue May 18, 2010 5:12 am

Our first boy malamute was named "Bodie" from the Film "Point Break" a film I can never tire of watching;

our 2nd girl was Nakita was from the meaning Unconquered a name which has stood the test with her

our young pup is called Dakota; The name Dakota means friend in Lakota Sioux. South Dakota is a place we always return too when traveling.

Our other pup Nebraska was going to be named Montana but this is far too a common girls name so we changed to Nebraska

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Tue May 18, 2010 7:30 am

Normally I only had replacers so there was no choosing there.
Avak was the first that I could choose.

And I have something with Ireland so I wanted to be a Celtic name but wanted that it had meaning.
So that is why his full-name is Avak Balach because it means: First little boy.

And he is my first little boy :mrgreen:

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Tue May 18, 2010 9:39 am

-
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 am

I love ' A Knights Tale' as well :)
Riker was named by my boyfriend fro Star Trek and Zuul was named from the monster in the fridge on Ghostbusters lol
Clover was supposed to be called Fluffy by my son but I made him change it, I'm sure you know why....
My next CED female will be called Rogue or Logan
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Tue May 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Rukia, my German Shepherd mix was named after a character in my brothers at the time favorite anime called Bleach.
I knew it! I was going to ask if that was the reason but I didn't want to sound like a total nerd. :oops:

Barley was named after… well barley. (His brother was given the name Wheatie.)
Interestinly enough, Barley is a Wheaton Terrier that can't eat wheat but can eat barley. :lol:
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue May 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Lol... where do I start with my lot hehe!!! :D

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Chiarosa wrote:
Rukia, my German Shepherd mix was named after a character in my brothers at the time favorite anime called Bleach.
I knew it! I was going to ask if that was the reason but I didn't want to sound like a total nerd. :oops:
Not nerdy at all :D We love watching anime and always feel free to ask me anything!

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:25 am

we rehomed lenka but didnt like her name but we didnt want to confuse her to much so just changed a few letters. we liked luna and lyra but we think lenka suits her fine. my previous dog was a white siberian husky, we liked "Alaska" but my husband said people would shorten it to "Laska" which i loved so that's what we called her :)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri May 21, 2010 7:50 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:I felt Ulric was a fitting name for my boy because it meant "power of the wolf" and it was also the in hiding name of a character in my favorite movie A Knights Tale, Ulric von Liechtenstein.
I was actually going to ask you if it was from "Dragonslayer" (one of my favorite movies from the 80s)

Loki is self explanatory. He's one of our two cats. We named his littermate "Dragon" after the cat in the "Secret of NIMH" (one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid).

When we adopted Fenris from the Humane Society (a lab - Australian shepherd mix: "sheprador"), his name was "Frankenstein". Well, short for that would be Frank--but I had an uncle by this name who had recently passed away--so it was out of the question to keep his name as "Frankenstein". So we decided to stay on the Norse name kick--and go with Fenris--a giant wolf who eats Odin at the end of the world. He's a very sweet boy...wouldn't dream of eating anyone. :lol: He has a good bark, though. Which is the opposite of Freyja--who is practically mute.

Freyja is our first Tamaskan--and we agonized over names for her. We didn't even name her until several days after bringing her home. We had long, long lists. Again, sticking with the Norse pantheon--Freyja is the Norse goddess of beauty, love and fertility.

The dog I had when I was a kid was named "Chico." Chico is "boy" in Italian. I also had a cat named "Cuddles"--I named her myself when I was 10. :lol: Better than my sister's cat's name: Swingset. She named it after her favorite thing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

...and my brother's dog was named Harry. (how original!) and a second dog named Tinker--yes, after Tinker Toys.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MelB » Fri May 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Our GSDs were rehomed from Battersea after their previous owner had died. While there they were separated to give them a better chance of being rehomed but one was so distraught she lost 2kg in 2 weeks dropping to 19kg :shock: . Then we turned up wanting to rehome 2 dogs together and fell in love with them. There was something awful & desperate in seeing a GSD with bones sticking out all over & being able to count her ribs from across a large room. We figured that they'd been through enough upheaval so we kept their original names - Holly & Ginny (I'm guessing they were born/received around Christmas ;) ). Quite appropriate as we rehomed them a few days after Christmas too. It took 9 months to get Holly back up to the 30kg she should have been. I was absolutely devastated when we had to say goodbye last month, she was "my" girl. Poor Ginny doesn't know what to do with herself now, she's so lost without her sister.

We also have 2 chinchillas called Gremlin & Mogwai (Moggy) after the film "Gremlins" as you have to be careful what you feed them and they're not supposed to get wet because of their very thick fur. Not very original.

Currently trying to think of names for our first Tamaskan (whenever he/she is born) but will probably wait & see what his/her character is like before deciding.

torriarno
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by torriarno » Sun May 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Rann ???????

Well I had a beloved blue merle smooth collie....i loved very much.....The only dog I have ever dreamed about....he came to my rescue in my dreams....He was a well known winner in the show world and had a character to....and did obedience..with an exellent scent....ahhh ...memories...his name was Rhanna....ran or ran man for short to.

So when Rann came along ...the black shadow puuppy dog that came into my life......His temperament was exactly like that of Rhanna but more refined ..more acute ...more and more... Knowing my dreams and dogs.....like Rhanna been reborn....his spirit ....he let me know that all is well ......and i was sent this shadow puppy ......this wonderful dog ..of lovely nature....those who know him love him to. as i do.....for shadow become a bright light.....in me ....and him.....his name is Rann.....

rann means kite
also a haunting wasteland, marshy,
also salty desert......

The important thing is rann loves his name....though he can turn a deaf ear ha ha .
The MEETING OF MINDS

Julie
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Julie » Tue May 25, 2010 2:48 am

I usually would name my dogs pertaining to Greek Mythology, like my two German Shepherds, Aurora(passed away 2004 and Electra(passed away 2007) :cry: . When I was a teenager there was Europa(shepherd mix) and her son I named Hagen after the German punk rocker Nina Hagen. Ok now for my Tamaskan- Many years ago I read a book called Sword Swinger by Jennifer Roberson, there were 3 or so books in that series(Sword Dancer and Sword Singer I think) it is genre of Science Fiction/Fantasy (yes that's about the only kind of books I like) Well the male character (I can't even recall his name), but the sword he used had a spirit or was posessed or something like that, ANYWAY his swords name was Boreal and I just thought that was a neat name, and of course her being Tamaskan and wolfish looking- like northern. Boreas was the Greek god of the north wind. Everyone thought It was a crazy name, except for me! I like unusual names. I love the names that i see in here! I know Boreal sounds kinda masculine, but I pronounce it like Borie el. My very first dog was Rusty(cuz she was rust colored, pretty original for an 8 yr old, huh? sorry this was quite long.

bulldogmiep
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by bulldogmiep » Tue May 25, 2010 3:09 am

For THE malamute i wanted a name from Alaska and after a long time looking on THE internet i found a place called Chena hotsprings her full name is now : snowcild's Chena hotsprings
short is it Chena.
THE bullterrier my husband pickt out THE name jhonny cash short it is cash

Our previous dog à bulldog called willem i loved that name when we get à new Male dog we Will call him Harry just because we like that name verry much.
A dogs love is for ever xxx BULLDOGMIEP

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue May 25, 2010 10:58 am

My last litter of Malamute were named after the Iditorod pit stops which were nice :D

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed May 26, 2010 4:42 pm

I named "Jasper" after the semi-precious stone which I really like and I've always loved the name. He's also named after the Jasper National Park in Alberta where my family and I visited when we were living in Canada. Funnily enough, when people hear the name "Jasper" they think I named him from the Twilight Series, which I'd never heard of at the time. I only just read the books recently and I do quite like them (and Jasper's character) so I suppose that's not a bad thing either. ;)

Although "Vixen" was already named when I got her, I've always loved that name and it suits her perfectly because she looks like a fox (a vixen is a female fox).

As a tribute to her name, I've gone with a Firefox theme for her recent litter:

1) Sylvæn Vatrena Lisica - Female - (Wolf Grey)
2) Sylvæn Vulpine Inferno - Male - (Red Grey)
3) Sylvæn Firefox - Male - (Red Grey)
4) Sylvæn Wildfire Zorro - Male - (Wolf Grey)
5) Sylvæn Kitsune - Male - (Wolf Grey)
Wallpaper_FireFox.jpg
My family's (now deceased) Golden Retrievers, Oscar and Lucy, were named by my mom after the film "Oscar and Lucinda"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed May 26, 2010 4:53 pm

That's a super pic Debby :D love it.

miffany
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by miffany » Mon May 31, 2010 11:37 am

My boyfriend and I argued about names for our Tamaskan for months and couldn't settle on one at all, I must have searched through all the wolf, indian, inuit, eskimo, Finnish, Polish, Swedish, North American, norse god names etc but we couldn't find one. Apart from ones that had already been taken by other Tamaskans. There were one or two names that we both liked, such as Atreyu & Yoki, but friends put us off.

In the end I spent a 6 hour drive on the way home from visiting the puppies & meeting my little boy for the first time, making up names from number plates that passed by. The only number plate I made a memorable name from was something like X193UHK = Xuhk, which turned into Zuuk. Not a very special or meaningful way to name a dog but when I got home and suggested the name to my boyfriend he agreed straight away, so that put an end to months or arguing. Also this time we didn't tell anyone what we had chosen so that no-one could put us off. Now I think Zuuk was always supposed to be his name, it suits him so well and he recognised his name almost immediately.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Mon May 31, 2010 12:33 pm

miffany wrote:I must have searched through all the wolf, indian, inuit, eskimo, Finnish, Polish, Swedish, North American, norse god names etc but we couldn't find one.
I did too. I found a few but I think most of them were too girly. It took us ages to name Ayasca, he was just "puppy" for days after we got him. Anyway, we were going to call him Ayahuasca (pronounced Iawaska) which is actually a hallucinogenic drug used by the Shamen in South America (it means "Vine of the Soul"). However it was a bit of mouthful and we just shortened it to Ayasca in the end.

Mishca came with her name altho spelled "Meesha". I quite liked it and it saved her learning another one, so we just changed the spelling. However, having got to know her, we should have left it the way it was, as it is "me, me, me" all the time with her :)

By the way I think Zuuk is a nice name, you should twin him with Zuul :D
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

jaylib
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by jaylib » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:05 pm

We kept our tamaskans litter name, have always liked the film x men anyway. Storm really suits her as she can also leave a trail of destruction!! Including 2 layers of kitchen floor, washing machine seal (£100 repair bill), 3 phone lines, loo rolls, mops, aprons, slow cooker, countless plants, plus anything else left in the garden (pots, brooms, containers etc), and her best to date disconnecting a cold water pipe so she flooded downstairs with the understair cupboard being 3 inches deep!!
Our poor rescue dog Ladybug (was just Lady from the home and was a bit old to change completely) must wonder what on earths going on sometimes, sholud start getting her own back now we've invested in a crate and she can have the whole lounge to herself while Storm looks on!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:52 pm

jaylib wrote:she can also leave a trail of destruction!! Including 2 layers of kitchen floor, washing machine seal (£100 repair bill), 3 phone lines, loo rolls, mops, aprons, slow cooker, countless plants, plus anything else left in the garden (pots, brooms, containers etc), and her best to date disconnecting a cold water pipe so she flooded downstairs with the understair cupboard being 3 inches deep!!
haha welcome to the forum! Your story really sounds familiar... I miss those days when Jasper was a puppy... not! :lol:
Demolition crews should hire packs of Tamaskan pups to work on their construction sites... I'm sure they could take down houses in record time! hehehe

I found the worst was around 4-5 months old (during and just after the teething stage) but luckily, as with all puppies, he soon grew out of the destructive phase. After leaving a trail of destruction in his wake. He's very good now though!

Anyway, Storm is a great name... I have a friend who legally named his newborn son: "Storm" :D

SilverGhost
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SilverGhost » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:10 pm

We haven´t my Tamaskan yet but already have a Parson Russel ;-) so maybe I´m allowed to post here too :mrgreen:

First time we decided to get a Russel pup we wanted to name him "Milow" after the small dog from that movie with Jim Carry *The Mask*.
But then we saw our little boy the first time.... nothing but happyness, waggling tail etc... his full Kennel name is: Little Trump´s Lucky Luke.
All his siblings have the first name "Lucky" (Lucky Lilly, Lucky Lowmax and Lucky Henry). None of them were called "Lucky" in the end.
So our boys name is unique in some ways.
And the name Lucky suits best, because it´s the perfect delineation of his character :lol:

For your future Tamy-Girl we are still considering different names...like Chandra (indic for moon), Ayla (turkish for moon) or Katara (my fave character from M. Night Shyamalan´s movie "The last Airbender"...well realy nothing to do with wolves but I like the sound of that name and her character is very nice but a bit clumsy too... I like positive names (´cause I believe that a name rubs off on the namebearer in some way.)
:mrgreen:

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Oh I love the name Chandra for a Tam!
Antaris79 wrote:or Katara (my fave character from M. Night Shyamalan´s movie "The last Airbender".
Completely off topic but have you seen Avatar: The Last Airbender, the cartoon the movie is based on? If not you should watch it. It's a thousand times better than the movie!
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

Tamaddict
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tamaddict » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Chiarosa wrote:Oh I love the name Chandra for a Tam!
Antaris79 wrote:or Katara (my fave character from M. Night Shyamalan´s movie "The last Airbender".
Completely off topic but have you seen Avatar: The Last Airbender, the cartoon the movie is based on? If not you should watch it. It's a thousand times better than the movie!
second this!
-Michelle

SilverGhost
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SilverGhost » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Tamaddict wrote:
Chiarosa wrote:Oh I love the name Chandra for a Tam!
second this!

yepp, me too....

the cartoon is better:) but I did not expect that you know it :mrgreen:
but back to topic: what do you think about Katara (as a name for a TM)? I think this cartoon character is very gentile, so I like it:)

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:36 pm

I love the cartoon, but I have not seen the movie yet, I take it I will be disappointed?

Great to see another of my puppies owners here ( I assume its mine as I think I'm the only one to have an x-man theme so far lol)

Tamaddict
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tamaddict » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:10 pm

I watch half of the movie before I was like no and stopped watching. Its bad. Though it might only be bad becasue I loved the cartoon so much, lol.
-Michelle

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:33 pm

I saw the movie first and I thought it was bad. Bad acting. Bad dialog. Bad cast choice. Then I watched the cartoon and couldn't believe how much they messed it up!

Korinne
コリン

Tamaddict
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tamaddict » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:45 pm

They missed the feel of the cartoon I think. It could have been a good movie but it came out feeling stilted and rushed. I think even having the Katara actor be a better narrator would have improved it. That and not rushing.
-Michelle

SpiritEcho
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SpiritEcho » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:06 am

Copper my first dog, was given his name because as a very young pup he had the most unusual coat colour. It looked the colour of pollished copper and it was shiny, unfortunately I don't have any pictures of him when he was that colour.

Shasha was named after a dog I knew near where I worked she was a very lovable and friendly dog, and my Sasha reminded me of her. Sasha's nick name is Ung the U is pronounced as the u in up and the ng as in stung with an ausie accent. Derived from the slang term Mung out meaning to munch or chew, she gets ung allot cause she used to chew things allot.

Lilly & Nikita well they already had their names when I rescued them but they have their Nick names Nicket / Kita or Huskamutt and Lillismuttis or Lillit or just muttit
Dogs are a gift most people don't deserve ^..^

Megaen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Megaen » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Well when I was younger and living with my parents, one cat named Oreo b/c she was black with a white stripe down her belly. Then there was Midnight a female black stray we ended up getting. Lastly Abu we got him after seeing a certain Disney movie hehe....

Since living with my hubby we've had 2 strays named Blacky and Tabby kinda took them in on spur of the moment so didn't really come up with anything creativie :S Then Freya and Bastet (though Bastet is a boy) but hubby was set on naming on Freya and he picked the Tux mix for that name so Bastet was placed on our male tabby. Foxy was our chow mix we got her from a no kill shelter and her name was already picked. Lena was named after much thought between naming her... Horo, Holo, Megaen, Kaede, Lucy, we decided on Lena partly because I like the name and I'm an anime freak lol So thats the list of pets from my life :)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:05 pm

Sølve is named after a character in a saga I was reading - the character had yellow eyes and had special powers :)
>> Nino <<

Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Rambler » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Rambler came from Lynn and Jennie - Blustag Blue Rambler. I loved it immediately. :D Being a puppy from a Heidi/Jackal litter, it fits perfectly!! :lol:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 pm

We picked Thor as we wanted a short, strong name.

GjenetCarro
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by GjenetCarro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:42 am

Hello I'm on the forum with my bros nook Color! Its really cool btw looking at the forum lol Well I have been searching non stop trying to find names for my future tam and they are all very masculine and different have over a hundred that I love haha So what I have decided to do was when I pik my boy up from the airport and bring him home I will let him pik his name. Randomly sayingnames ,theone he responds to will b his name.Has anyone tried this other than Me? Some names I like are scalar, grubler, exodos, lucian,and many many more. Can't tell u all of them so there is no repeats of tam names ;)
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul - hope you like what you see."
~ Aldo Leopold

"We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves."
~ Gerald Hausman

CaliforniaWolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by CaliforniaWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:09 am

Exodus (random thought) is a good band, look online.

I like the name, and always have, Samantha (Sam), if I ever get a female that will likely be her name :)
Here for a "howling" good time :)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 am

I didn't know what to call my girl when I got her, just decided I would wait and pick till I had her with me.. Second day I started using one of the names on my list, cause it just fit her.. so now thats her name.. I do consider sometimes changing it though - Sølve sounds a lot like Søge (go find) which I use quite a lot but she gets it right most of the times so it'll probably stick
>> Nino <<

Mamallamak
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Mamallamak » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Well, Moose I didn't get to choose. He was already Moose when I got him, and I'm not changing it...well, other than to call him Moosey most of the time, which he likes. They already called him Moosey too. It's kinda like he knows we're being playful when we call him Moosey and he's in trouble if we call him Moose ;-) Not that he gets in trouble very often. He's really a very good dog. Best I've ever had, really.

Anyway, so Fritz, we actually got from a baby name book. We were trying to think of names and just looking at ideas, and when I saw that, it fit. He is an American Eskimo Spitz, so he is Fritz the Spitz....corney, I know, but my daughter was only 6 when we got him :lol:

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:41 pm

I named him Moose....lol :)

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:17 am

For our rorri we wanted to have a Disney name (we're very into disney stuff) so we were looking at all sorts of girl disney names that were too obvious. i like raja (even tho thats a boy name in Aladdin) because it sounded exotic and beautiful, but we also really really like Aurora because it was a princess name that you dont hear very often (sleeping beauty) and we knew this baby would be our little princess. another important part of the name is that we had to be able to shorten it to a cute nickname- so we thought Rorri (spelt with an i so its unique and with 2 rr's to fit in with the family- merri, kendrra etc.) would be perfect.
So rorri's full name is:
Cornerstone's Princess Aurora Estrada

my mom named our last dog (a toy poodle) with very similar requirements except that it wasnt disney related. i wasnt born when she named her so i had no input.
her name was something like (im not sure on spelling):
Appollonia Remier Jelong Thoms
and named Apples for short. I think my mom got appollonia from the actress in purple rain..... :?:

when i was 8 we got my kitty Charli. the people who were taking care of her had already named her charley (i dont know why, i thought it was strange they named her a boys name). i had planned on calling her lashonda after a cat my mom had in the past but charley had a certain charm that i just fell in love with. so we changed to spelling to charlI so it would seem more girly. it just suits her, i couldnt imagine her having any other name.

i had a red eared slider (aquatic turtle) for a short while and wanted to name him squirt (after the turtle in finding nemo) but just couldnt stop calling him my little turdy turd. he was too cute!

we also used to have a grey mean old farm cat when i was really young named pyewacket, apparently named after a cat in a movie called Bell, Book and Candle :?: also somehow seemed very fitting a name for him

wow that was a lot :shock:

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:40 pm

love the name pyewacket, although it is a name in bell book and candle here's some more information on the name. pyewacket was the name of one of several familiar spirits or imps that visited a supposed witch in manningtree essex in 1644 according to mathew hopkins the witchfinder general.

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:20 am

how neat :) i always thought it was a cool quirky name

Kiriyama
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Kiriyama » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:40 am

Probably going to name my first two dogs Kiri and Draysen which are named after characters from films/series that I like. I always seem to prefer the 'bad guys' from films though - I hope it doesnt jinx them into being mischievious little pups :P

Kiri - Kazuo Kiriyama - Battle Royale
Draysen - Viktor Draysen - 24

I love that you called him Moose btw, my partner seems to insist on calling all of our animals 'little moo' regardless of their actual name, im working on putting an end to that before they have an identity crisis but its actually surprisingly catchy and I find myself using it now and again :(

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:01 am

Okay:
Tamaskan #2: (J&J Devil of Piru)

"Darwin" after Charles Darwin :D
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:24 am

Hawthorne wrote:Tamaskan #2: (J&J Devil of Piru)

"Darwin" after Charles Darwin :D
Yep, I figured :D
But... what about 'Devil of Piru' any insight into how / why J&J chose that name for him?

Molly
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by Molly » Mon May 16, 2011 3:56 pm

It is my husband who found the nickname of Firefox (in French pronunciation it is not very pleasant to pronounce and in English it is a little bit long (syllables 3)

Mas'Khann, takes its shape in the name of the race Ta-Mas-Kan

Isabel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Isabel » Mon May 16, 2011 4:53 pm

My husband always found the names in the Lord of the Rings,he loves it ;)
So Tulkas is one of the Valar and Arwen is the elf princess,the daughter of Elrond.
Nube is "cloud" in spanish,Branco is "white" in gallego-portuguese...
Si envenenas y contaminas la tierra y a sus criaturas,con ello tambien te envenenas a ti,a tus hijos y a los hijos de tus hijos.

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:26 pm

i love lord of the rings, my favs are Haldir and Elrond not sure if they would be good names for dogs though, :lol: other names i like are Rowan, Bramble and Briar.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue May 17, 2011 11:28 am

I once had a pup called Ranger (from LOTR) and another pup called Samwise