What's in a name?

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: What's in a name?

Post by Taz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:47 pm

I had an extensive list of what I might have named my next dog, needless to say, he ended up with a name not on the list, Lol.

He's Cato (Latin origin )meaning all knowing, wise, knowledgable, intelligent, shrewd.

He lives with Nyle(Celtic origin )meaning champion

And Storm, which is self explanatory I would think.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:29 am

We're going to name our pup Mowgli. Jungle book inspired :)

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:36 am

akaye531 wrote:We're going to name our pup Mowgli. Jungle book inspired :)
Like that name :)

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Haha, we also were inspired by Mr. Kipling:

The word raksha in Sanskrit and Hindi means 'to protect' and raakshas means 'demon'. It is pronounced as Rak+sha. I think it expresses well the double nature of a wolfdog, who is part wolf (Eurasian), part dog (German Shepherd).

And to top it off - as Raksha's litter willl be registered under our breeder, the litter letter miraculously will be M so you can guess how one of the males will be officialy named;]

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Czertice wrote:Haha, we also were inspired by Mr. Kipling:

The word raksha in Sanskrit and Hindi means 'to protect' and raakshas means 'demon'. It is pronounced as Rak+sha. I think it expresses well the double nature of a wolfdog, who is part wolf (Eurasian), part dog (German Shepherd).

And to top it off - as Raksha's litter willl be registered under our breeder, the litter letter miraculously will be M so you can guess how one of the males will be officialy named;]
How appropriate! I wonder who will be mommy's favorite little boy :lol:

You can expect to see photos of our Mowgli VERY soon. I'll be looking forward to seeing yours :)

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Wed May 15, 2013 4:01 pm

My pup, Hawthorne James Watson, got his call name, "Kona"
from the Lakhotan word for "Friend"

The greeting "Hau, Kona" really does translate, "Hello, Friend!"

I'd originally considered some other Lakhota words, but the word for wolf (which I still spell in the
"old" orthography (i.e., pre Albert White Hat) as sunkmanitu tanka, was just too complicated for a dog name.
I had considered Sunka, but as it just meant "dog" I thought it was too generic.

In old orthography Lakhotan:

Sunka = dog (the S is pronounced like an 'SH" in American English)
Sunkmanitu = coyote (outside or wild dog)
Sunkmanitu tanka = wolf (huge as in "too big to fit inside" wild dog)
Sunkawankan = horse (dog of the Great Spirit)

FYI, "Dances with Wolves" is Sunkmanitu tanka ob wachi. With apologies to current schoolmasters. I'm having to relearn spelling - the new orthography, which is (I agree) an improvement, is still something I struggle with. :geek: Writers in First Nations languages please accept that my poor education means no harm.

The remainder of my animals:

My male tortoise Solomon after a misprint in the King James Bible. In the Song of Solomon the first KJV editions quote:

Song of Solomon 2:11-12 (KJV)
11 For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
12 The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;

The Greek text is clear, the printers made an error, it should have read "Turtledove" (Turtles and tortoises don't have vocal cords and therefore have only the barest of voices. I used to work in a print shop and the history of errors in printing the Bible borders on the history of printing.

My female tortoise is Millie (she was named by some neighborhood children and brought to me as an injured animal) - by the time she'd recovered fully she'd been with me over a year, and she and my male have been a happy breeding pair since.

My lovebird is Krol Niebieski (King of the Heavenly Blue Skies) in Polish. He wasn't quite show quality, but comes from a long tradition of pretentious bird names from my late mother, (which included Mrs. Lyndon Johnson "Ladybird")
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

CesarMillan56
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by CesarMillan56 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:01 pm

I love the name "Bodie". it sound unique name for dog.