What's in a name?

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: What's in a name?

Post by Gaby » Tue May 17, 2011 12:01 pm

I wanted to call Mila Taiga, but my friend didn't like that. It's was very difficult to find a name he did like. :roll: Eventually I found Mila. So I stopped searching and it became Mila. It means glory in Bulgarian. I like Mila too, so it's okay with me. :)

I like Jennie's names for her dogs like Riker, Clover and Willow for example.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu May 19, 2011 12:34 am

Sylvaen wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Tamaskan #2: (J&J Devil of Piru)

"Darwin" after Charles Darwin :D
Yep, I figured :D
But... what about 'Devil of Piru' any insight into how / why J&J chose that name for him?
The original owner wanted the name "Piru". She said she's Sweedish (?) and that Piru is "devil of the forest." While I like the idea, the name doesn't roll off the tongue. Also, because we re-homed him, we wanted a clean break from his former life and so renamed him.

I love names that are tied to mythology (our other four pets: Fenris, Freyja, Loki, Dragon), but this one just didn't work for me.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Thu May 19, 2011 5:09 pm

-
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

frogline
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by frogline » Thu May 19, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't have dog... but my cats named Khloé, Kanelle, Kanail & Klarence...
Klarence like in Daktari because she's blind and has a convergent "squind" (?!)

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Fri May 20, 2011 1:04 am

wen wrote:My little dog, who only exist in the shape of 50% of ovule and 50% of spermatozoon (I hope) , already have a name since weeks and weeks :mrgreen:

I'm asking myself if it's not another proof of my deviant personnality lol :? :lol:
If it is, then my husband has it very bad.

Ever since he was a very little boy living in Germany, he dreamed of being a Native American living in the woods and having a pet wolf named "Pakah." So even though our Tamaskan will not be born until sometime in October, she has had a name for over 45 years! :lol:

-Angie
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri May 20, 2011 8:45 am

wen wrote:My little dog, who only exist in the shape of 50% of ovule and 50% of spermatozoon (I hope) , already have a name since weeks and weeks :mrgreen:

I'm asking myself if it's not another proof of my deviant personnality lol :? :lol:
Do you already know when you are going to get your puppy? So exiciting, I'm very curious how you are going to name her. ;)

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Fri May 20, 2011 9:10 am

AngieH wrote:If it is, then my husband has it very bad.

Ever since he was a very little boy living in Germany, he dreamed of being a Native American living in the woods and having a pet wolf named "Pakah." So even though our Tamaskan will not be born until sometime in October, she has had a name for over 45 years! :lol:
-Angie
LOL, that blast my record lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gaby wrote:Do you already know when you are going to get your puppy? So exiciting, I'm very curious how you are going to name her. ;)
No, I dunno. But I don't think it will be before a year at least...

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri May 20, 2011 9:34 am

wen wrote:
Gaby wrote:Do you already know when you are going to get your puppy? So exiciting, I'm very curious how you are going to name her. ;)
No, I dunno. But I don't think it will be before a year at least...
Until that time you can enjoy all the other Tams at the forum ;), but it's a long wait! Do you already know which breeder?

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Fri May 20, 2011 9:54 am

ok ok i must confess, i too have names picked out for my future tam :oops: have only been thinkin of the names for like a year or two so not that long by comparison!
i would name him either Ville, Valo, or Vaz
Ville Valo is the name of the singer form HIM (my fave band)
and Vaz (like voss water) just cuz i like how the name sounds haha!

maybe a little goofy? i dunno. and yes, for some reason the V names appealed to me

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri May 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Valo? Awwww I totally was thinking of that when I was going to get my RPK male! I was also thinking of Onai but there is one of those too. Tundra will probably stay Tundra (or Tunders hehe). I'm hoping to get a blustag female too but I'm not going to say the name I have in mind ;)

Snoopy's name was sort of spur of the moment. My mum wanted Spike or Duke, both of which I refused. When he was a puppy he was one of the smallest and was supposed to be a tea-cup :lol: so I didn't want a big dog name. Then when he was a baby we were watching Charlie brown and he liked to "yip" at the sound of them talking on the telephone, so I made him "Snoopy".

Meeko's name is from the raccoon from Pocahontas. I've loved that movie since before I can remember (according to my parents) and I even made a couple of Hallowe'en costumes. My Gramma's can was named Neiko but unfortunately he passed about a year before I got Meek. SHe came with me to pick him so I wanted Meeko to be sort of a tribute to Neiko. They were the same color and temperament so it seemed fitting but in the end I decided Meeko.

Bailey was named at the SPCA. She wouldn't respond to anything else (not that she responded in the first place, she was WILD)

Eeyore is another disney name (winni the pooh) and my sister had a massive "EEYORE!!!!!" faze :lol: unfortunately she got the cat right smack in the middle of it. So Eeyore is named after a donkey lol. My other sister and I call him Lennard, when he was a baby he used to watch the Big Bang Theory with us and would even sit beside Snoopy, but that was the ONLY show he'd stay with us.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wen » Fri May 20, 2011 10:24 pm

-

torriarno
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by torriarno » Mon May 30, 2011 9:50 pm

What's in a name?

Torriarno is named after an Indian in a film...it has many other bizarre meanings to lol...

Ohanzee is native Indian for shadow.

Rann ..can mean war and attack, is also a fictional name of a planet... However ....Rann actually likes his name very much! some animals do not like their given names.....and you might just find that they are the awkward ones...try changing their names and see the change in them lol....

Rann is a special name name ....given him as my smooth was Rhanna.....but ran can sure run...lol
The MEETING OF MINDS

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 am

Our dogs:

Nova - This is a star that suddenly becomes brighter and brighter. A good name for the girl dog who gets smarter with each passing day.

Midas - King Midas had the ability to turn everything he touched into gold. To have the Midas touch means that what you do tends to make wealth.

The next boy will be namned: Maccón - son of a wolf. (I can see a boy with darker color in this name)

It's fun to try to find names that fit the dog :D

Nova, Midas (and Maccón)

WhiteElkDoe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by WhiteElkDoe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:47 pm

Rhea - One of Saturn's moons. We've had a celestial theme for all our pets (Snake names: Pleione, Merope, Cassiopeia, Andromeda, Alcon, Sief, Cetus, Callisto, and some others), and it's got a great sound.

Sophie - I just love the name. It was either Sophie or Adelle.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:59 am

It's always really cool to hear why people named the pets the names they did.

These are the names of the pets that have been in my life:

Casa Nova
My first pet was a cat I got from a neighbor that found a litter of kittens feeding off their mother who had passed away. He was had raised and was super attached to people in perticularly me and "Casa Nova" means lover boy in Latin so it fit.

Princes and Sniffles
Me and my brothers rats we had as kids... we weren't in a creative naming mood I guess.

Oscar the Grouch
Was the box turtle I had as a kid and me and my brother named him because reminded us of that muppet from sesame street. Unfortunately the turtle ran away :(

Elvis
He was the first dog my family had when I was growing up he was a super hyper brittany my dad had rescued from the shelter. we kept his original name as not to confuse him.

Bandit
She was a border collie mix that was super sneaky and liked to take stuff and hide it in her crate. So the little bandit was given the name.

Deno the Dino
The family iguna that my dad rescued from a coworker that was going to set in free :roll: The name was catchy and stuck

Pootie Bear
My little step sister got to name our pug unfortunately Pooh Bear was just something she could say... instead it came out Pootie Bear.

Belly
Was the the German Shepherd we acquired after her policeman died in the line of duty... thats the name he had picked out probably because she loved her belly rubbed more than she wanted a treat.

Chloe
Teddy bear hamster that my yougest brother named... I pretty sure he named it after a girl he liked in his 2nd grade class :roll:

Nasa
The orange and white kitty I picked up at the humane society that was scheduled to be put down because of over crowding and bad teeth.

Troubled Juvenile (TJ)
The kitten I rescued from a box in and alley by my house. He is skittish and acted more dog than cat... we thought he was a troubled juvenile from being abandoned so young... it later ended up turning it TJ for short.

Nellie
The last pet my family got when I was living at home... A german shepherd puppy that growled at everything, she likes the sound of it... And after the quote don't be such a negative nellie and all the little growls it just fit.

My Tamaskan's name is Zephyr... because it means west wind and I grew up in the western part of the United States and I am sure at some point I will end up moving back west. He is my first pet since I left home five years ago :)
It is a nice change after growing with no fewer than five pets most of my life and having countless injured birds and birds of prey around... and of course showing horses... I welcome this change is it September yet? :lol:

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Some interesting stories :)

My 'family group' is a little bizarre.
We've done things a little differently and all have names in alphabetical order.
Tell you what, it makes naming a whole lot easier when there is only one letter to pick from!

Ashleigh- that's me, the female human of the pack
Boyd- my boyfriend- the alpha male ;)
Corpsegrinder- is our shelter cat. His name comes from the lead singer of the band cannibal corpse, because a) it was such a silly name and B) he has a deep scary growl like his namesake :lol:
Didge- was our first husky girl, now deceased, her name didn't really mean anything. Just something starting with D and something Aussie. Like the didgeridoo :D
Esky is named after the cooler thing you take to parties to put drinks in. Also short for eskimo.

Any guesses on what my next dog/cat/humans name will start with? :lol:
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

jmarino82
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by jmarino82 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:57 pm

We still have Luna(thank god) but lost the cats a few months ago.

We are slowly getting our lives back on track and We adopted a kitten whom we named Pym after a character in a book I was reading at the time who was very small. We have a 5 month old Pembroke welsh Corgi we named Dexter because he just seems kinda..well dorky. But in the best way possible(he's got this huge rear end, it's hysterical to be honest), and we have a friend staying in our spare room right now with a large, all black cat named Lucky. My home is turning into quiet the zoo.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:19 am

Since we're on this topic I guess I will share mine as well. Although I never chose the names of the dogs that I've posted in the gallery of this forum, I did grew attach to the names of my relatives' companions. My Buddy, named by my aunt, was a true companion to everyone in the my family and relatives and we all loved him very much which is why we he was our Buddy. I've even written a song dedicated to him in the poetry section.

Snoopy the Alusky was named by my uncle and is based on the Charlie Brown character whom we thought was so cute and enjoyed those Peanuts videos during our childhood. His name is also based after Snoop Dogg and he kind of lives up to it the way he sometimes snoops around when he smells something unfamiliar in his house and is always very observant. According to my grandfather, when my relatives first brought him to his new house, they had no idea what a smart dog with very good observational learning skills he had much like a wolf until he started escaping and even imitating normal household behaviours like opening doors and flicking on and off lights and he just loved to snoop around whenever he noticed something different. Snoopy was very fitting name for him as you can see.

Boxer the pug who is owned by my grandaunt was named Boxer based on his charging habits. He did it more as a pup than now and was always trying to box at me and my little brother as well as at hi owners which is why he was named Boxer.

When I obtain more photos and informations about the names from my other relatives of the other dogs I'll post them in the gallery to show everyone and hopefully get a little more in depth on the names. When my relatives name their dogs, they always give meanings behind it. It's a traditional Chinese practice to put a lot of meanings into our dogs (a 5000 year old tradition I dare say) of which my family and relatives are ethnic Hua-Chinese Canadians although our primary language is English due to being raised in Canada which is why all of our dogs have English names. Our Theravada Buddhist background is also linked with those names that we give to our dogs in which Buddhist believe that the name you give affects the soul of the animal and depending on the thoughts you put into naming the dog. So in the future when I get my Tamaskan I will name it Tiantai or Chontae meaning Heavenly.

Paige
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Paige » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:28 pm

I love all these stories! I love the creativity and the heartfelt meaning.

I don't have a Tamaskan yet, but if I am so fortunate as to bring one into the family, and assuming its a boy, I'd like to name him Lupin after the kind werewolf character (Professor Remus Lupin) from the Harry Potter series. I'm a massive Harry Potter nerd, and Lupin was always my favorite character after Harry.

I didn't read 'for fun' before Harry Potter, and a lot of kids in my generation might agree. But for me, it was because I had a lot of trouble reading as a kid, and that's putting it very nicely... After I saw the first movie, I thought to myself "I need to know what happens to Harry, and I don't care if I can't read well, I will read these books!" I struggled through Chamber of Secrets, and halfway through Prisoner of Azkaban, it just sort of...clicked. Suddenly, I could read like a fiend. In high school, I was the only one in the class not begging the teacher to keep Shakespeare off the final exam, because I could practically quote Macbeth. Harry Potter opened up a whole new academic world for me...and a pretty cool fictional world, too :lol: I'd love to have a dog whose name is a little homage to the conquering of that particular hurdle in my childhood.

If I end up with any other dog that does not look particularly wolfish, I'd like to name him Bjørn, and I have absolutely no heartfelt reason why :lol: I just love that name.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Paige wrote:If I end up with any other dog that does not look particularly wolfish, I'd like to name him Bjørn
well in that case you would need 2 for benny and bjorn ;) :lol:

i can't decide weather Lupin, or snape would be my 2nd fave :? j.k rowling would probably be honored to hear that :P , it's great that the harry potter series was able to do that for you :P

in order of taking home:

Phoenix came to me from reading harry potter (guess which one :lol: )... i was halfway thru reading it the day he came home and it kinda sounded good :D

Neko... well it sounded better than Cat :lol:

Sam... there are a lot of book characters called sam... i love to get lost in books, kinda like an escape, usually mythical (vamps, werewolves, magic, any by Stephen King ... i do read some normal books too tho :oops: ) and the name came up a lot and stuck in mind...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Paige
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Paige » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:07 pm

TerriHolt wrote:
Paige wrote:If I end up with any other dog that does not look particularly wolfish, I'd like to name him Bjørn
i can't decide weather Lupin, or snape would be my 2nd fave :? j.k rowling would probably be honored to hear that :P , it's great that the harry potter series was able to do that for you :P
I know! I am a huge Snape fan, too. He and Lupin are neck and neck in my favorites hierarchy, but Lupin just barely wins by a furry werewolf nose :lol:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:52 pm

How Saga got her name. We started with a lovely little boy Tamaskan called Thor (we wanted a short strong name), unfortunately at 4 half months he had a fatal accident (still miss him). We were offered a puppy from the Odin x Frigga litter, and looking at Norse Mythology Thor is often accompanied by Odin and Frigga, so we felt that Thor was guiding us to this puppy. My husband came across the name Saga (we mispronounce it Sayga), Saga is the goddess of Poetry and story telling and also linked to rememberance and good memories, she is also Odins daughter.

Our other dog Holly got her name at the rescue centre I got her from as she was found on Holly Lane with youths throwing sticks and stones at her, although she had not had the name long, she was so traumatised when I got her I felt it was unfair to change her name and it is a nice name anyway.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:55 am

I got Mona Lisa's name from a song I heard when I was spending time with my sister on our birthday in FL. I wanted to try and find a unique name...something that was not too common and since I usually own boy animals coming up with a girls name was a bit challenging. Well I heard this song because it was one of my sister's favorite songs and the name for some reason just stuck...even when I went to bed and woke the next morning I kept thinking of the name Mona Lisa...after that I knew, that was going to be my baby girls name :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgpdp3lP8M&ob=av3e

This is the link for her song called "The ballad of Mona Lisa"
By Panic at the Disco

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:53 am

Great song!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 am

Convel wrote:Great song!

It quickly became one of my favorites :D

CSpiker86
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by CSpiker86 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:26 am

TParham86 wrote:

:lol: :lol: my song became your inspiration :P I still LOVE that song :D reminds me of when you were with me in Jacksonville

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:25 pm

CSpiker86 wrote:
TParham86 wrote:

:lol: :lol: my song became your inspiration :P I still LOVE that song :D reminds me of when you were with me in Jacksonville

:D :D

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:44 pm

I've finally decided on the name for my new little Tamaskan boy. I'm sure not everyone will like it but here's the story:

In grade four I was asked to write a story about 2 animals. Of course I chose two wolves. I named them Blit and Silo, the teacher thought it was very strange that I would choose such names but they've stuck with me. I had originally wanted to name a male Wylie however it's so common here and such an uncommon breed doesn't need a common name ;) Anyways the name I decided on was Blisit :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Convel wrote:I've finally decided on the name for my new little Tamaskan boy. I'm sure not everyone will like it but here's the story:

In grade four I was asked to write a story about 2 animals. Of course I chose two wolves. I named them Blit and Silo, the teacher thought it was very strange that I would choose such names but they've stuck with me. I had originally wanted to name a male Wylie however it's so common here and such an uncommon breed doesn't need a common name ;) Anyways the name I decided on was Blisit :)

I like the name Wylie too but also decided against because it is used a lot. I like the name Blisit, sounds like a strong name.... A future female someday named Silo?

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 pm

Blisit is a lovely name, the only problem I can imagine is when you come to training the dog. You'll have to not try and say the name when you are teaching Sit! ...... Blisit SIT could become confusing!

I only know this as we had a dog called Bruno, we had to shorten his name to Bru as he began to think his name was Bruno-no, as he was always being naughty!
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:44 pm

claireyclaire wrote:Blisit is a lovely name, the only problem I can imagine is when you come to training the dog. You'll have to not try and say the name when you are teaching Sit! ...... Blisit SIT could become confusing!

I only know this as we had a dog called Bruno, we had to shorten his name to Bru as he began to think his name was Bruno-no, as he was always being naughty!
I thought of that, my friend uses "park" and I like that haha
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 am

Convel wrote: Anyways the name I decided on was Blisit :)
Cool name! :D
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:28 am

Thank you! :D
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Alright, so I had a message from a moderator a week ago asking for me to make this post since they and apparently a few of the other members here got all confused when I dropped the old fángjìngtuánlucas and changed it to Tiāntái.
Hey Lucas

Did you make a post about your name change?
I got really confused and had to ask if it WAS you :lol:
If you didn't make a topic - please do :) when you are done with the exam of course ;)
break a leg!
ttys Duckling ;)
SO without further ado, I'll share the meaning behind this name and why I asked Debby to change it for me.

Tiantai Tamaska is the name of my future Tamaskan dog Kennel. "Tiantai" is named after the Chinese lotus school of which my ancestry roots in the southern Guangdong province branch. "Tamaska" as most people here already know means "Brave Wolf" or "Mighty Wolf" in Inuit language and it is where the breed's name "Tamaskan" comes from. I originally planned to name my future kennel Amarok Tamaska but since there are already multiple breeders world wide using that name, the Amarok part, I dropped it. Tiantai means "heavenly" and I chose the name for that reason while the Brave Wolf or Tamaska part is the image that I, being a wolf-lover from childhood, want to paint to acknowledge the breed's resemblance to the wolf. Tiantai also carries a little bit of a Theravada Buddhist reference as my family are Theravada and I chose the name also partly to honour my ancestors who went through so much struggles in the past to finally have their descendents make it to Canada. However, since Tiantai alone means heavenly and does not directly reflect on the religion itself, I found no problem using it.

So why the Foreign Languages?

In Chinese, Tamaska translates into 驃狼 meaning "Valiant Wolf".

Since I am a Canadian of Chinese descent, I decided to give my kennel the Chinese name 天台驃狼. It is pronounced "Tiāntái Biāoláng" in Mandarin and "Teetái Puakláng" in my native Teochew dialect. I also speak a little Japanese and Korean so I decided to write the name out in Korean Hangul as well. In Japanese, the name is spelled the same way as in the Chinese but pronounced "Tendai Shirakage Ookami". In Korean it's written as 천태늑대 (Chontae Neukdae) which is based on the Chinese spellings.

So yeah, that's pretty much why I use the Tiantai name now, to promote the breed and paint a heavenly wolf image to the Tamaskan fans.

On a side note: I figured that I can use my (still developing) multilingualism to promote the breed out to more people worldwide who don't speak English which is why I came up with the Japanese, Chinese, and Korean names. Although at the moment I still need to continue studying those languages (on my spare) as I am not yet fluent in them and by the time we finally expand into the far east (I know, that is a VERY long time from now) I hope that I can offer my assistance as a translator to the Chinese Tamthusiasts (preferably my native Teochew Chinese people) as well as to the Korean and Japanese fans instead of letting them rely on all this google translating which is not very accurate in my opinion and has given me totally messed up translations in the past.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:35 am

@Lucas

(I'd quote you, but then this post would be waaay too long and it'd be a shame to snip out parts of your post. lol.)

I'm a bit disappointed, really...Personally, I really liked "Amarok". It had a very nice ring to it. 8-) While I do, at times, like asian-influenced names, sometimes, they sound a bit...awkward? Maybe it will take some time for me to (finally) get used to Tiantai. :P Or maybe it's asian-language overload for me...Korean, Japanese and Chinese? whoa. :lol:

Perhaps the main reason why I harbor a dislike with asian-themed with non-asian origin "things" is due to the American culture where people go on Google Translate, type in some English words and get tattoos done from whatever google/babelfish/etc spits out when it's completely wrong. Always gave me the impression that it's rather stupid, but that's my own opinion...in my eyes, I see it as disrespect for a language even though the person doing it doesn't necessarily mean disrespect. Can you tell I'm protective of asian cultures and their portrayals? XD

Back on topic...

I don't want to spoil the name that I've picked out, but I will say that it is inspired from the Nightblooming Cereus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyllum <-- this specific one. My late grandfather's favorite flower and he had two of these plants. One of which is still alive. I love staying up late and waiting for them to bloom. The most I've ever seen bloom at once is about 12-13 of them. It was absolutely beautiful and I wish I could find the pictures I took. :(

There is also a chinese saying about this flower that makes it feel/sound even more "magical": 曇花一現 (tan hua yi xian). Loosely translating to "A flower that vanishes as soon as it appears." Reason why is because this flower is only in full bloom for one night. (That's why I always tried my best to stay up late at night to watch them bloom and take pictures when in full bloom because if I wait until the next morning, then they're already beginning to wilt.)

Anime fans may also recognize the flower from a particular popular series. ;) As for my future pup's name....haven't gotten there yet as I still have about........3-5 years to wait? booo...

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:06 am

:lol:
我明白妳的意思。
Amarok 太多的人都在使用這個名字。這個天台的名稱是很容易記住。 ;)

Yeah the Google translator sucks a hell lot and I guaranteed that a lot of people are going to find a totally mistranslated result of what I just wrote above to you with it because I just tested it myself shortly after converting my keys back to English.
:lol: Tiantai = "rooftop" on google translate :lol:

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:18 am

Tiantai wrote::lol:
我明白妳的意思。
Amarok 太多的人都在使用這個名字。這個天台的名稱是很容易記住。 ;)

Yeah the Google translator sucks a hell lot and I guaranteed that a lot of people are going to find a totally mistranslated result of what I just wrote above to you with it because I just tested it myself shortly after converting my keys back to English.
:lol: Tiantai = "rooftop" on google translate :lol:
You're lucky that all came out in traditional chinese...otherwise, I would be like "hey, what's that charater? O_O"

But yes, Tiantai, translated literally does mean rooftop, so Google Translate is technically correct. :lol: I still like Amarok........stick with it, pleaaaaase? :O

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:51 am

Yes I type in Traditional characters and also a Pro-Traditional Chinese characters supporter. Simplified is too confusing for me and I often have to use a translator to translate it back into Traditional when someone emails me in Simplified (that's pretty much ALL I ever use the translators for actually :P ). Being taught the old system gave me an advantage in learning Japanese as most of the Kanji characters are Traditional as well.

Anyways getting back on topic,
我已經作出了最後的決定。 天台是我的犬屋名。但我可承諾妳! 因為妳喜歡這個名字,我會給妳的 如果妳是我的等候名單上的話,我會記錄下妳的愛狗這個名字: Tiantai Tamaska Amarok ;)

Ayame8656
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Ayame8656 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:09 pm

For our Tamaskan whe chose between Leon and Loke. But we eventually decided to go for Loke, a god from the norse mythology. But I (Susanne) am interested in the Native American Indian language and for a future dog, i would love the name Kiche.
From the Jack London book White Fang, she is the mother of white fang :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Ayame8656 wrote:For our Tamaskan whe chose between Leon and Loke. But we eventually decided to go for Loke, a god from the norse mythology. But I (Susanne) am interested in the Native American Indian language and for a future dog, i would love the name Kiche.
From the Jack London book White Fang, she is the mother of white fang :D
I believe Whitefang in the book had another name as well. Just don't remember what it was but the aboriginals referred him to as something else yet it translate into "white teeth" thus the name Whitefang in English.

Anyways back on topic, for my first two dogs, I plan to name my male, whom I will be getting from Tarheel, Jogye (Korean: 조계).

Jogye is the name of the Zen Korean traditional schools (대한불교조계종 or 大韓佛敎曹溪宗) which roots back to the unified Silla Kingdom ~1200 years ago. They are the largest Sect in South Korea and are known worldwide for their charity and sponsoring refugees who escaped from totalitarian countries. They are also known for trying to build bridges with many different religious groups in Korea despite the ongoing antagonism by some of the Christians but I am not going to go too deep into that. I plan to give my dog this name to honour them.

My second dog will be a female whom I plan to name her Chontae which is the same name as the Korean version of my kennel affix.

I'm also thinking of getting an ANCD but I haven't thought of a name for that one yet.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:13 am

arianwenarie wrote: I still like Amarok
There is a husky breeder that has the kennel name "Amarok" A few of this kennels dogs are behind one of the foundation dogs of the Tamaskan (Nana).

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:37 am

AZDehlin wrote:
There is a husky breeder that has the kennel name "Amarok" A few of this kennels dogs are behind one of the foundation dogs of the Tamaskan (Nana).
Don't worry, I made it clear that I'm not going to use the Amarok name for the kennel anymore. However, if arianwenarie comes on my waiting list in the future I will give the Amarok registered name to one of the dogs ;)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:47 am

Tiantai wrote:
AZDehlin wrote:
Don't worry, I made it clear that I'm not going to use the Amarok name for the kennel anymore. However, if arianwenarie comes on my waiting list in the future I will give the Amarok registered name to one of the dogs ;)
lol. I doubt I'd be able to afford an import from Canada even if it's a "bordering" country. :P It's very likely that I will be going for a Hawthorne pup first - here's to hoping the Frejya/Dylan pairing will be repeated. XD

@AZDehlin

:o I didn't know there's a husky breeder with the "Amarok" affix in the lines of the Tamaskan...will definitely look into that. :)

-- going to be Off-Topic --
@Lucas
Forgive my ignorance, but I have been wondering for the longest time: what does all the asian-influenced theme you have going connect with the Tamaskan?

Not to be offensive, but I do find asian culture to be quite disconnected with the image of the Tamaskan; that is, I can't find a strong connection to the breed in general. :P In addition to that, I believe the three cultures you've chosen (China, Japan and Korea) do have some negative history between them - some of which, I've heard, still exist today. Certain parts of China do not welcome the Japanese - same in Korea. This is mainly due to the Japanese occupation of these two countries back in WWII.

The only connection these three countries have with each other is that their culture and language are influenced (maybe even heavily influenced) by Chinese language and culture. Of course, all this information is based on what I remember from my asian studies and asian history classes...I must say I thoroughly enjoyed them. ^_^

-- end off topic --

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:39 pm

I chose the name Tiantai as it roots to my own Theravada community all the way back in Chaojou, basically it represents my own background. The dogs don't have much to do with it other than me trying to paint a heavenly looking wolf image in them. As for the Korean names, I have been a rep for a Hallyu club in the past and also an English tutor for several visa students from South Korea and I have been trying to help promote the Tamaskan breed into the Korean cultural communities here in Canada.

==offtopic==
I don't mean to sound rude but I honestly don't give a crud about the WWII stuff anymore and it really ticks me off whenever people keep on bringing that up. I know that the Japanese did a lot of unrepairable damage to both China and Korea back then but to me what's past is history and it is bad enough that there are still people out there (like a few elders I know who have to be SO annoying to me whenever they hear me speaking Japanese or Korean to my friends who are not fluent in English while I'm on the phone) trying to stir those things up while the three countries today have been building bridges.
==end offtopic==

Also the reason why I chose those Asian names is because I want to reach out to more of the Asian communities here in Canada. It's not about the little connection the dogs and the far east have but rather my goal to expand interests in the breed into the far east. Of course, I am NOT sending dogs there UNTIL the TDR establishes there which is going to be a very long time. There's another reason why I chose Chontae for my female, I tend to be a little more discreet about this one but I'll PM you about it.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Well, I'm not from Norway, but I named my dog Freyja. In fact, I'm Italian-German-Irish-American. So I guess I'll be raising angry drunk Tamaskans. I don't intend to use Italian names, or German names, or Irish names. Our kennel name has to do with traditional Irish culture, but that's about it. We did sell a puppy to another Italian-American. :D
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:00 am

Hawthorne wrote:I'm Italian-German-Irish-American.
I'm almost the same ;) I'm Italian-Greek-German-Irish-English. I do tend to like more German and English names myself.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:43 am

Hawthorne wrote: In fact, I'm Italian-German-Irish-American.
I have similar heritage, I am mostly Italian-Scottish-Irish-American. With a little German and Native American in there...America is such a melting pot.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:41 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
Hawthorne wrote: In fact, I'm Italian-German-Irish-American.
I have similar heritage, I am mostly Italian-Scottish-Irish-American. With a little German and Native American in there...America is such a melting pot.
Very true, the North American continent is full of diversity and mixes. I'm a Chinese descent but with a tiny sprinkle of Vietnamese myself but I mostly call my Canadian since I'm Torontonian-born and Canadian English is my native language overall the other four languages that I speak. I think my children in the future will be mixed with Korean though. This continent is where different diversity comes together to form a new cultural group called the North Americans :D

torriarno
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by torriarno » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:09 pm

I had a smooth collie merle ....called Rhanna...scotish....
When I got shadow.....he had been fed off a plate..on scrapps....so a new name ..extrodinary because he was so like Rhanna...in character and demenour ...so he became Rann as souned like rarn......then rann as ran.....he loves his name ..some dogs do not...
his Ohanzee native american name means Shadow!!!!!!and torriarno after a native american cheif in a film!!!lol.....but rann is a short name ..yes he ran.....the shadow that ran with me lol........or his sons and daughters..etc lol
The MEETING OF MINDS

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:32 pm

torriarno wrote:I had a smooth collie merle ....called Rhanna...scotish....
When I got shadow.....he had been fed off a plate..on scrapps....so a new name ..extrodinary because he was so like Rhanna...in character and demenour ...so he became Rann as souned like rarn......then rann as ran.....he loves his name ..some dogs do not...
his Ohanzee native american name means Shadow!!!!!!and torriarno after a native american cheif in a film!!!lol.....but rann is a short name ..yes he ran.....the shadow that ran with me lol........or his sons and daughters..etc lol
I always thought Rann's name was pronounced Ránn with a short á sound :?