Dogs shot by Police...

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Tori
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Dogs shot by Police...

Post by Tori » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:02 pm

:evil:

This came up on a few of my husky forums. Knowing that Tamaskan look like wolves but have a similar play-style, I thought this might be of interest and rightful enrage some of you.

Examiner

The Baltimore Sun

WBAL Radio

Baltimore Sun

I try to be mindful of the fact that this is the American media and we're dealing with an officer, which likely means that we don't have all the facts.. but regardless, I cannot believe things like this actually happen :(
~Tori
www.itsahuskything.com
It's a husky thing... you wouldn't understand!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: American Off-Duty Officer Shoots Siberian Husky at Dog P

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:34 pm

According to the Ann Arundel County Police Department in Maryland, on behalf of a county spokesperson, “No charges will be filed and investigators found no evidence of criminal activity.”
:shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:
“This is tragic, a community of homeowners with children playing around should not have gun-crazy, off-duty policemen shooting in their area, especially a dog in a controllable situation.”
I couldn't agree more. That "police officer" needs to be discharged and fined, at the VERY LEAST. He should also not be allowed to own dogs for 10 years and fulfill 100+ hours of community service AND should provide compensation to the victim's family. In light of the location and his hasty reaction, he should probably undergo a full psychological evaluation as well... all of this would be just a start. Sadly, it won't bring their dog back. :(

The crazy thing is, if ANYONE shoots and kills a POLICE DOG, they get LIFE IN PRISON since it equates to killing a Police Officer. In this case, he shot and killed a FAMILY DOG at a DOG PARK for NO good reason... and won't face ANY repercussions! It's INSANE!! :evil: :evil:
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:52 pm

That is horrible. I can't imagine what the owners must be going through. To have your dog shot right in front of you! Makes me sick just thinking about it. I can't believe they aren't going to file charges.
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Sylvaen wrote:The crazy thing is, if ANYONE shoots and kills a POLICE DOG, they get LIFE IN PRISON since it equates to killing a Police Officer. In this case, he shot and killed a FAMILY DOG at a DOG PARK for NO good reason... and won't face ANY repercussions! It's INSANE!! :evil: :evil:
I could not have said so better myself on how true it is if a police dog was shot. Police get away with far too much B/S!

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:56 pm

omg i could only look at one of the reports, this is so sickening. are there no animal welfare groups that could help this poor owner, that officer is a total disgrace and seems to be a danger to the general public as well as any poor animal that gets in his sight :evil: :cry: .

Tori
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tori » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:17 am

wicca1 wrote:omg i could only look at one of the reports, this is so sickening. are there no animal welfare groups that could help this poor owner, that officer is a total disgrace and seems to be a danger to the general public as well as any poor animal that gets in his sight :evil: :cry: .
The owners of the husky went to the local news and it has since made national headlines. It took a couple of days AFTER the incident for the police to say they'd investigate the issue. Animal welfare, the American Humane Society, and Siberian Husky rescues across the country are rallying behind the story because of the way its been handled and to find justice. At the very least, Bear-Bear's story will help educate the American public on huskies and their play style to help avoid a situation like this in the future :(
~Tori
www.itsahuskything.com

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:30 am

I am totally shocked by this. Isnt there some law about discharging your weapon in a public place if nothing else?
Its such a shame as I heard in one comment under the newspaper articles, You would be arrested for walking into a school and shooting a teenager who was having a fight so why are you not even given so much as a slap on the wrist for shooting a dog in a dog park who was not even involved in fighting. To be honest i would not be surprized if that poor husky wandered up to the German shepherd and was attacked by it not the other way around, like owner like dog...........
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Apparently because he is a federal cop, they are allowed to carry their gun anywhere. I believe the owners are not pressing charges because they are afraid of what harassment may come to them from cops, which is basically terrorism. Very sickening. I only can hope that there will be justice in the end, but because he was a cop it's highly unlikely. :cry: :x :evil:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:09 pm

I hope that the owners arent afraid.
I wouldnt be at least.. when it comes to this kind of things i really fight for whats right!
>> Nino <<

JGR
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JGR » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:39 pm

I've been away for a while so only just seen this...

Frankly it's just shocking, and very disappointing. Another reason for me to be glad of living in Europe. Hopefully some form of justice or admission of responsibility at least will be forthcoming.
My condolences to the family.

I don't usually dig topics up, but this struck a nerve :x

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:00 pm

This is just wrong on so many levels :evil: I hope there is enough pressure on the Police to make them take some kind of disciplinary action. As Debby said it looks like the guy has psychological issues and might well be a time bomb waiting to explode.

How hellish for the poor husky's owners :(
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Tori
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tori » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Took long enough! :evil:

Update: Charges Filed
~Tori
www.itsahuskything.com

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:21 pm

FINALLY. Though "misdemeanor" charges are WAY too light for the situation...
If it had been a regular citizen, it would be felony charges.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:29 pm

So he doesn't even have to pay compensation to the owners? Not that anything could ever start to make it up to them.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:25 pm

At least they finally charged him something, but it really should be more :(

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:14 am

Another dog death by a trigger-happy cop:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03938.html

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:46 am

That poor dog! It's because of incidents like these that my husband and I are disgusted with cops.
And of course if you ask another cop they will agree that it was justified, they all stick with each other! :x

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Well… I'm not sure it was completely unjustified. Yes it's horrible that the dog was killed, but if an animal appears to be aggressive towards an officer they have the right to defend themselves and they should. Maybe I'm biased since my dad was a cop. If it were him in that situation, I'd rather he shoot the dog than get hurt...

My problem with this is how they are trying to peg the dog as a "pit bull". As if that explains everything. Seems more like the problem was a dog that wasn't socialized with other dogs. I completely believe it was a shar-pei mix. Certain mixed breeds can look very pit bull-like. And it probably didn't help that there were so many people around.
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Well, according to the article, there was an incident with another dog (a poodle) but the owners quickly separated the dogs and had the situation under control. The officer then stepped in and rugby-tackled the dog, pinned it to the ground, then threw it down some stairs. When the dog stood up, it went towards the officer and he shot it to death. To me it seems like a complete overreaction. What was the officer doing, tackling the dog and throwing it down a staircase in the first place? At the end, shooting it might have been justified (self-defense) but the steps leading up to it are what caused the dog to act in his own self-defense! I'm sure the owners could have handled the situation entirely themselves, there was no need for the officer to get involved in the first place.

Emielle
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Emielle » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:49 pm

That's crazy. The situation seemed to be getting under control before the police even tried to intervene, and then they went to such an extreme? Of course the dog would go for you if you attacked it! Makes sense to me! There should have been no need for the police to do anything in the first place, and the dog would never have been shot.

Disgraceful. :/
Email: emielleface@gmail.com

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Another police-shooting-dog story :(
Mary Kate Hallock arrived at her Oakland hills home after running errands Tuesday and found a blue note fluttering on her front door.

"Oakland police responded to your residence to investigate a burglar alarm," the handwritten note read. "While circling the rear perimeter, lab advanced on officers in a threatening manner before being shot and killed."

"Lab" was Gloria, an 11-year-old, arthritic yellow Labrador Hallock's family had owned since she was a puppy. Oakland police shot Gloria three times with a 40-caliber Glock handgun in the family's backyard while responding to a false burglar alarm at the property. The dog, police said, growled and barked at them.

"I probably read that note 10 times," Hallock, an Oakland preschool teacher, said Thursday. "I was incredulous. Gloria's never bit anyone. She's just a gentle old dog, a classic Lab, always wagging her tail."

Oakland police defended the shooting as a necessary action.

"My heart goes out to the family," said police spokesman Jeff Thomason. "We never want to go into a situation where we hurt a family pet, but in the course of doing our job, sometimes we have to make split-second decisions."

The shooting occurred just a few months after Oakland Police Chief Anthony Batts called for a review of police procedures after the controversial videotaped police shooting of a young deer that was cornered in an East Oakland backyard. Officers in that case fired six rounds.

The Tuesday incident began after Hallock left her home on Burgos Avenue in the quiet Knowland Park neighborhood just north of the Oakland Zoo. Hallock had set the burglar alarm, and as she had done many times before, she left the downstairs back door open so Gloria could have refuge from the heat in the fenced backyard.

The dog apparently tripped the alarm around noon, and the police showed up a few minutes later.

As officers circled the house, they saw the back door open and thought an intruder was inside, Thomason said. At that point, Gloria allegedly growled and barked at the officers, and one of the officers fired three rounds, all of which hit the dog - at least one in the head.

Police declined to name the officer who fired his weapon. The officer has not been placed on leave and continues to work, Thomason said. "This situation was very unusual," Thomason said, noting that officers usually encounter aggressive dogs in backyards during chases. "It was a very unfortunate but necessary action."
'The kids were crying'

When approached by a threatening dog, officers can use pepper spray, a Taser or gun to deter the animal. In this case, the officer probably didn't have time for pepper spray or Tasers, Thomason said.

The Hallocks, meanwhile, are devastated. On Tuesday, after the family called a number left on the note, they learned Gloria's body had been taken to the city's animal shelter. An Oakland police captain then showed up at the Hallock home to apologize.

Hallock's husband Ward, a warehouse manager, brought Gloria's body home from the shelter, wrapped in a blanket.

"The kids were crying," Mary Kate Hallock said, referring to her children, Matthew, 15, and Isabel, 11. "We all sat around with her, put our hands on her, told stories about her."

On Wednesday, the family had Gloria cremated. They plan to bury the ashes in the backyard.

Like many older dogs, Gloria suffered from hip dysplasia and other joint ailments that prevented her from moving freely, Hallock said. She barked occasionally at strangers, but her unease would quickly dissolve into friendly tail-wagging.

While the Hallocks understand that police occasionally make mistakes, they're still reeling from what they considered the department's callous handling of the incident.

"It was like a physical blow," Hallock said. "It just didn't feel right. The officer who later apologized sounded sincere, but it would have been nice to hear from the officer who actually shot her."

Oakland police are reviewing the incident, which is standard procedure in any case involving a fatal shooing, Thomason said.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1FMDDO.DTL

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:58 pm

I am just speechless, angry with how they handled the situation, not enough time to grab the pepper spray or tazer, but plenty to grab the gun that would be on the same belt? More and more, I hate cops.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:59 pm

I am so glad police in the UK do not carry guns. I know everyone makes mistakes, but a mistake with a gun can often not be reversed, and no number of appologies or any oher action will change what happened. No one should come home to that.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Ramble Away...

Post by Nino » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:40 pm

Just saw this video - I'm shocked!
This is totally without reason killing that dog!

>> Nino <<

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Ramble Away...

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:12 pm

:cry: That brought me to tears, poor dog. Why the hell do cops do crap like that?!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Dogs shot by Police...

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:06 pm

So evil and unnecessary. There is NO excuse for this! That dog was under control and could have easily be handed by someone with experience. Instead, they murder for no reason. People like that should not be allowed to own weapons, let alone serve as members of the police force. Protect & Serve? Yeah right.... :roll:

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Unbelievable. Absolutely no reason to have shot the poor thing. And why video themselves. So they can show their friends what big brave policeman they are? I hope whoever owned it files a complaint although it probably won't do them any good. That image is going to stay with me. Horrible. :evil:
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:28 am

And another one...
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... ned_o.html

This is getting crazy... :shock:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:44 am

I F*ing hate cops...

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:57 am

:evil: Sick!

Korinne
コリン

Tamaddict
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tamaddict » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:54 am

Disgusting. Cops are such assholes.
-Michelle

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:33 pm

What big, brave police men they are!!!! Do they ever wonder why the police are not respected? How can you respect cowards.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 pm

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:49 am

:evil: I couldn't even read the whole article it makes me so angry at people (if they even deserve to be called people) like this!

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:32 pm

Maybe Police should leave their weapon at the station!

Thank god that weapons isn't easy to get ones hands on here!
>> Nino <<

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 pm

JGR wrote:Another reason for me to be glad of living in Europe.
Sorry, but we have this here as well. :(

I'm quoting and translating. Apologizing ahead for weird translation, it is much harder to translate a text than to write in that language right away.
July 23, 2012

Monday morning, police shot a dog when chasing a burglar who had been running through a garden. The dog Brutus who was shot in the head, later had to be euthanized. One of the owners witnessed the event and is very critical to the police's actions.

By 4.30 AM, the police got an alarm about a burglary at S:t Arild Golf club. The police caught up with the burglar's tracks, which led towards Fjälastorp, south of Skäret. - A policeman with a dog followed one of the thiefs who had taken a route through a garden, sais Jimmy Modin, of the police communication central in Skåne.

In the garden was a dog, the nine year old male dog Brutus who was a cross between Newfoundland and Bernese Mountain Dog. He was walking loose in the garden. According to Lars Lust, deputy manager of the dog section in Helsingborg, the dog handler was surprised. Lars Lust states that the police's dog handlers will not walk into a garden if they know there already is another dog there.

According to the police, the police dog and the family dog went into a squabble. The police also claims that the family dog then attacked the dog handler, something Brutus' owner considers completely unlikely.

- The dog handler's perception was that the dog lunged for one of his legs. By that time, the dog handler also injured his leg. He saw no other way out than to use his weapon, sais Lars Lust.

The dog was hit in the head, but did not die immediately. It was later taken to a veterinary clinic where it was euthanized.
The dog handler's injury was not a bite, it turned out.

Lars Lust states that the police were trying to get an animal ambulance.
- That was sadly not possible and therefore, the family themselves had to transport the dog, he sais.

That the dog handler left the site after having shot the dog was because, according to Lars Lust, of an order from the police communication central. - He called them and wondered if he was to stop or continue chasing the burglars. He got the reply that he was to continue, sais Lars Lust.

The police will investigate the event. A report will be sent to the internal investigation group. But according to Lars Lust, it is a routine measure. - I cannot see that the dog handler did anything wrong. He did what he had to, sais Lars Lust.

The police in northwestern Skåne will pay for the family's veterinary bill.
Lars Lust sais he can understand that the family is angry.
We who work with dogs every day know how much they mean, he sais.

And it doesn't end here, this was not the worst.
THIS (below) happened two weeks ago.
I quoted and translated this for another forum, and I'm copying my post here (but I'm only including one of the two articles I translated).

Last week, two dogs were murdered in cold blood by two rabid policemen (my comment), and it took 26 bullets before they were dead.
Last monday, two dogs were shot to death in Hjorthagen in Stockholm.
The police claims that they were averting an attempted suicide - but the family of the 20 year old man is shocked.
- He takes up his knife and sais: "I'll cut my throat off if you shoot my dogs", his mother Amalia sais.

Last monday Amalia's son was caught in the middle of a bullet rain where the family's two dogs were killed.
The son, who is in hospital, lived just a few minutes away.

- He has been feeling bad, simply, and was going home to go to bed, sais Amalia.
The police's version is that her 20 year old son was suicidal.
That it was why he held a knife to his throat.

- The police sais that he must come with them in their car, that they are going to shoot his dogs. That is when he grabs his knife and sais: "I'll cut my throat off if you shoot my dogs", sais Amalia.

- But he was never going to slit his throat, I know my son, sais Amalia.

Last monday he had been with a friend, and they had been sitting together by Storängsvägen for a while until the friend went home.
That's when someone called the police.

- The police were being threatening from the start. For five minutes they then sat and talked just next to the dogs before they started shooting them, sais Amalia and shakes her head.

The son begged to the police to call his relatives, so that they could come and get the dogs, but he was not allowed to.
- We could have been there within five minutes, and we would have been there, we could have walked away, sais Roland, Amalia's partner.

Instead the dogs were shot to death and the knife beaten out of his hands with a baton.
One of the dogs ran home, injured, before it was captured and euthanised.

- The first time, you get a real bloody shock when you watched the video. Eventually I realized: he could have been dead himself, Roland sais quietly.

He adds:
- That mentality course the police have to take, I wonder, how did they pass it? It must have gone quickly. It is a stressful situation, they have to be able to handle it.

The son never let go of the leashes of the two dogs.
In the video one can see how he is thrown back and forth as the dogs jump in panic.

The two young dogs, Rosso and Rambo - of the Cane Corso breed which is used as working dogs - die as the police arrests the man.

He is now in hospital and sais he'd rather wished that he had been hit by the bullets.
So that he wouldn't have had to go through all this.

- He feels so bad, he's starting to realize what's happened, Amelia sais with a heavy voice.

How do you feel when you see the video?

- What the hell are you going to say, it is so unreal. At first you're shocked, then you get furious. When you watch the film, when you really watch the film, then you get furious, sais Roland and adjusts the flowers on the spot where the dogs were shot.

The video is to be seen here, if anyone dares to. It is filmed at a distance, but you can see what is happening, and hear all the shots, so it's still very graphic in my eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js6fNBiN50o

I managed to watch the entire video, and it's clear that the dogs were NOT a threat, they were leashed, someone said they were wagging their tails, then the police run up to them, look very threatening and start firing 26(!!!) shots, one of the dogs runs away in panic, the other one throws itself from side to side in shock and pain, until it is finally down.

They said "they were defending him as he was laying on the ground and being attacked by two fighting dogs". All I see and what Fredrik himself said was that he was sitting there, calmly with HIS dogs, and the rabid police were definitely much more of a threat to Fredrik than his dogs who were not doing anything, the police were just centimeters from killing him as well.

And the police's gun instructor thinks "It was a good result". :x Sickening.

I don't trust the police in this country anymore as they seem uncapable of handling strange situations, and if I ever sit outside with my dog (also a "Pitbull-label-dog"), and police come up to us, I will run for it or cover him with my own body.

You shouldn't, as an innocent citizen, have to fear the "law enforcement", but that is what he have here now.

In Memoriam - Rosso and Rambo (nothing graphic): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h7NLg2aRWg
:cry:
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:56 am

Jesus... such horrible stories...
we live in a very sick world :(

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:25 am

very sick world :( ... I sometimes think that the worst thing to happen to the world is human evolution from the primate counter part... I come hear and meet people like you guys and my faith I humanity is almost restored but then read all the horrible stories... I'm not sure the good out weighs the bad :cry:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:44 pm

UNFORGIVABLE! :evil:

Certains humains sont dégueulasses! Je tiens à tirer sur les salauds qui ont tué le chien.

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:25 am

I'm shocked. The only defence is being very careful who you let your dog play with, even in dog park...

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:00 pm

In defense of policemen, not all are trigger-happy jerks.

In the following case, in my opinion the cop had every right to shoot - but decided not to.
There should be more like him in the policeforces.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

How could a 6 month old dog be so aggressive? Result of total lack of socialization? But then if it's chained up on the front, should it not be used to people?

I commend the officer, but that was the most horrific noise i have ever heard :(

I know not all officers are trigger happy jerks, the good ones don't get you tube time because it's the bad ones gets the view count up ("psst, have you seen this jerk?" "omg, have you seen this?" etc")... If nothing happend to get riled up about, it doesn't get passed about :roll:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:19 pm

TerriHolt wrote:How could a 6 month old dog be so aggressive? Result of total lack of socialization?
My guess is lack of nuture, probably impaired with a self-confident dog personality (which can be kind of the worst).
The dog knows no boundaries, it goes off to attack the officer probably thinking it's in it's place to protect the territory and it's family, since nobody holds him back at all, no proper containment (chain, rope, leash, fence etc), the owners can't even get up their asses to do something and the other dogs don't seem to care either that this one has taken the job to defend the property.

Problem is maybe next time it's not going to be a police officer who's capable of defending himself, but a kid on a bycicle comming by, or any other unfortunate person.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Well one way or another it's still a tragedy and the dog most definitely did not deserve it! I think they should train more police on how to defend themselves from a dog including the use of pepper sprays if necessary but in my personal opinion I don't find guns necessary UNLESS the dog was rabid and was dripping foam out implying it was.
Tatzel wrote: Problem is maybe next time it's not going to be a police officer who's capable of defending himself, but a kid on a bycicle comming by, or any other unfortunate person.
Done that on a bicycle before, a GSD had me once while I was passing by its property and I pedalled at full speed to lose it. The owners should have installed some better lock on the door to the side yard so it wouldn't have leaped out.

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:56 pm

This was not a police incident, but this dog was shot by a farmer recently, because he thought it was a wolf. The dog was apparently just standing, no owner there (irresponsible of them, yes!), and it took one shot to the head.

What I'm wondering is - can you really shoot wolves like that, any time you want? No! You're only allowed to shoot them if they are a direct threat to your livestock, and this "wolf" (a Siberian Husky/Malamute mix), was nowhere near his animals.

And I've seen people commenting "One can actually mistake that dog for a wolf without a doubt". That's scary. :?

And one person who read about his, said when she was out riding her white horse, a hunter suddenly appeared and said "Now you were lucky I didn't shoot you, I thought it was an albino moose!"
In a sense - "You were lucky you or your horse didn't get killed because I have bad sight and/or judgement".

Rabid, scared policemen shouldn't be allowed to carry guns, and neither should farmers and hunters who can't tell a husky from a wolf, or a horse from a moose. :shock:

R.I.P Hutch
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Don't you think it was a joke about the Albino moose?
Albin (albino Moose shot by Danish guy in norway I think it was) was followed by a big public outcry and I know there have been a lot of jokes since then.
Albin was NOT allowed to be shot, neither were any other Albino Moose due to them being "special"..
>> Nino <<

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:54 am

I don't know since I wasn't there, but the one on the horse didn't interpret it as a joke. :/

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:15 am

Another officer pulling a gun on a dog… only he ends up shooting himself instead! http://reason.com/blog/2014/04/18/cop-s ... ts-himself

The dog is fine and not as vicious as the idiot officer claimed.

I'm not even a little bit sorry for him. :twisted:

Korinne
コリン

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:44 am

Trigger-happy cop got what he deserved, though I'm still trying to imagine exactly how he shot himself in the leg!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:37 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:Trigger-happy cop got what he deserved, though I'm still trying to imagine exactly how he shot himself in the leg!
Probably psyched himself out when this "vicious" dog did a butt-wag. 8-)