6 day old baby killed by Alaskan Malamute...

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

6 day old baby killed by Alaskan Malamute...

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:19 pm

So tragic... and yet totally preventable. :cry: :cry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-26242506

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-26250010

I feel so sad for the parents but, honestly, what were they thinking... leaving a baby unattended with a dog in the same room?
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: 6 day old baby killed by Alaskan Malamute...

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:35 pm

D: I have no words for this...

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:06 pm

I am sorry and maybe some will think I am very hard on this. I have no sorry feelings for these parents. I feel sorry for the baby and the dog. Because of these stupid no knowledge parents they are the victims here and not these parents....sorry for my way of thinking.....

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Miran wrote:I am sorry and maybe some will think I am very hard on this. I have no sorry feelings for these parents. I feel sorry for the baby and the dog. Because of these stupid no knowledge parents they are the victims here and not these parents....sorry for my way of thinking.....
I am inclined to agree with you... BUT these parents will have to live with this mistake for the rest of their lives. How awful. :(
I just hope the dog will be rehomed and not euthanized as a result of their stupidity... it was probably 'playing' with the baby, shaking it around like a squeaky toy - not the dog's fault at all. Just so tragic. :cry:

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:36 pm

I feel awful for the parents, it's a tragic accident...on the other hand I'm wondering why they would leave a 100+ pound dog alone with a 4-5 pound baby...it's like leaving a kitten alone with a bear :( I guess this is a very tough way of learning a lesson.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

wolfwoman
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by wolfwoman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:01 pm

So sad.... :(
1920146_363823967094135_1684031389_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.vantaelsesluske.nl __ greetings Stefanie

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 pm

It has nothing to do with that it was a dog from the pound.....I trust my dogs 200% that they will act as dogs and I trust my kid 200% that they will act as kids and therefore will never leave them together unsupervised.....it is as simple as that. Yes they have to live with it and sorry that I say : they should!! and if they had arrange supervision and that went wrong okay...but sorry still think and feel the same.

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:59 am

Very tragic... I agree that the parents were stupid to leave the dog unsupervised with the baby, but I also feel sorry for them.

A lot of people with dogs do not know that dogs and kids should not be unsupervised together. Some people even believe in the myth that dogs treat kids and babies like (their own) puppies and that they allow them to act however they like around them, or that they naturally get along.

A lot of dog owners totally are unable to read calming or stress signals in their dogs, too :/ I see it all the time; dogs being fed up or overwelmed with a situation (like when they get bullied by another dog and owners think they are happily playing) and owners not stepping in when they should and then things escalate because the dog needs to help themselves somehow.

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... y-cot.html
Here is a story from last spring when a baby was killed by a Jack Russell.
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:34 pm

Miran wrote:It has nothing to do with that it was a dog from the pound.....
Katlin meant it weighed 100+ pounds (unit of measure) - not that it came from a dog pound ;)

Good article:
http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/yet-anothe ... og-attack/

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
Miran wrote:It has nothing to do with that it was a dog from the pound.....
Katlin meant it weighed 100+ pounds (unit of measure) - not that it came from a dog pound ;)

Good article:
http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/yet-anothe ... og-attack/

o whaha my mistake sorry :P

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:52 am

Lol I just saw that reply, thanks for clarifying Debby. Yeah sorry Miran, Canada used pounds (lbs) instead of Kilos most of the time.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 am

Who of us will escape the world without heartbreak?
One cannot defend a careless act, but it does not take away the tragic end of a life.

Let us learn from our dogs: we are stronger as a pack, and that requires us to practice stretching our sympathetic imagination as well as our capacity for judgment.

We must learn to claim our people as tiospaye, part of our own extended family.

What killed the child in part was the fact that is parents did not prepare themselves and clearly had no one who could effectively guide them.

I reflect on the words that are translated as "man" and "woman" from the Lakota, Wicasa and winyan imply a position of honor and maturity - to be truly adult is to have achievement in education, maturity and responsibility. Traditionally, young people must reach that status before they marry or begin a family. For the outcome of that family is theirs alone, they have no one else to blame, but that does not lessen the tragedies they may experience. They may have support from the clan, but they must be wise enough to utilize it correctly.

I grieve with them as parents without accepting the burden of their terrible and tragic lack of foresight.

May whatever they pray to give them solace and may they learn from the horror and sorrow that will be with them all the rest of their days if they are truly moral beings.

I am not fit to be the judge of their souls, but I can condemn the actions that led to this. I can disapprove while still being sorry with them for the death of their child.

"To know all is to forgive all" - Thomas Aquinas
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:10 pm

firleymj wrote:Who of us will escape the world without heartbreak?
One cannot defend a careless act, but it does not take away the tragic end of a life.

Let us learn from our dogs: we are stronger as a pack, and that requires us to practice stretching our sympathetic imagination as well as our capacity for judgment.

We must learn to claim our people as tiospaye, part of our own extended family.

What killed the child in part was the fact that is parents did not prepare themselves and clearly had no one who could effectively guide them.

I reflect on the words that are translated as "man" and "woman" from the Lakota, Wicasa and winyan imply a position of honor and maturity - to be truly adult is to have achievement in education, maturity and responsibility. Traditionally, young people must reach that status before they marry or begin a family. For the outcome of that family is theirs alone, they have no one else to blame, but that does not lessen the tragedies they may experience. They may have support from the clan, but they must be wise enough to utilize it correctly.

I grieve with them as parents without accepting the burden of their terrible and tragic lack of foresight.

May whatever they pray to give them solace and may they learn from the horror and sorrow that will be with them all the rest of their days if they are truly moral beings.

I am not fit to be the judge of their souls, but I can condemn the actions that led to this. I can disapprove while still being sorry with them for the death of their child.

"To know all is to forgive all" - Thomas Aquinas
Well said.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:40 am

I think the parents might had been under the impression that their Malamute would act as a good baby-sitter like how the breed has long been described to have taken on that role years ago with the ancient Mahlemuit people. However, even the best baby-sitting assistance type breed can accidentally harm the child if not carefully supervised and no doubt the people back then STILL supervised their assistant dog while looking after their youngsters. The parents made a HUGE mistake and I am sad to see that this had to happen to the baby. The dog is not to blame for it, it was the parents' fault for not looking after both!

ASaroka
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ASaroka » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:50 am

This happened in Pittsburgh back in spring of 2012. A woman who was known for rehabilitating troubled dogs and adopting them out acquired a troubled husky. She went to the restroom, leaving her toddler on a blanket with toys and said husky in the room together alone. She comes back and the dog is on top of the kid. The kid didn't survive. It was very tragic, but also a lack of judgement.