Transgendered Animal Discussions

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Transgendered Animal Discussions

Post by Tiantai » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:04 pm

I was doing a research on transgender non-human animals as well as intersex species, specifically on hermit crabs and ghost crabs who are known to transition naturally into the opposite gender under circumstance through altering levels of hormones.

But while browsing on yahoo! though I found this story to be interesting.

http://queersunited.blogspot.ca/2008/10 ... ioned.html
Hen to Cock.jpg
"A hen has changed into a cockerel over the course of a two-year sex-swap process.

Georgina the hen is thought to have damaged an ovary, causing her testosterone levels to soar and effectively transforming the organ into a testicle.

The one-in-10,000 switch has seen the animal develop a cockscomb on its head and its voice break - allowing it to crow each morning.

"Georgina was always a big girl and she was surrounded by other hens for two years before she decided to take on the role of cockerel," said Jane Haworth from the Battery Hen Welfare Trust headquarters in Chulmleigh, North Devon.

"It took around two years but George has a cockscomb and seems a lot happier than she was. I think he looks amazing.

"He always had slightly hairy legs which was a bit of a giveaway. He doesn't lay eggs anymore and crows every morning - it's quite a turnaround."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.