cats outside for first time...

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

cats outside for first time...

Post by balto13 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:05 pm

I am normally very wary, borderline against, cats being outdoor/indoor cats. However the two I have from Japan are still somewhat feral and are not enjoying being cooped up all the time to the point that I am beginning to worry we will burn through the security fee and end up owing some extra when we finally do move out. We've been at our new house for almost 3 months, is that long enough to be able to let them go outside? I am tempted to put a little kitty poo under our porch, I know that might seem like it will invite more cats to poop under there but it's some amazingly soft soil and I would be surprised if it wasn't already the communal litter box :roll: and I just want there to be some of their smell outside ... thoughts? advice?

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: cats outside for first time...

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:18 am

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:30 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:Ever thought of building a catio?
http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-ho ... sign-build
I thought about that, but the back of our house and yard doesn't really support on of those - sadly, as I would be more than willing to save up and make one ourselves

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:10 am

balto13 wrote:
I thought about that, but the back of our house and yard doesn't really support on of those - sadly, as I would be more than willing to save up and make one ourselves
Shame :( What about teaching your cats to walk on a leash?

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri May 30, 2014 11:55 am

Maybe something more temporary like an Xpen?
xpen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:10 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:
balto13 wrote:
Shame :( What about teaching your cats to walk on a leash?
here is an album for one of our cats, Kovu, being outside (album is set to public so all can see it instead of me posting 28 pictures here) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 627&type=3 the other cat, Monty, turned into a wild, wild, ocelot! hahaha, no harnesses for him :oops:
Katlin wrote:Maybe something more temporary like an Xpen?
xpen.jpg
we saw something similar, but with a little roof at the local feed store about 10 minutes away from us. I was pretty spendy but we might look into seeing if we can build one

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Right now we have a large dog kennel on our patio with some teeny fix'ns (a little bed, scratching post, litter box, water, place for shade, ect). It's not the kitty 4 seasons but they enjoy a little time in it and I can do the dishes and keep an eye on them. Hopefully between that and the cat harness walks (daily) they will calm down a little. In the mean time will scratch our heads on how to make a more permanent outside enclosure. Thanks for the help ladies! :D :D

ASaroka
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ASaroka » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:42 pm

I got two kittens from a litter of barn cats from my parent's neighbor back in Upstate NY. I was very concerned for them, having rural genes and growing up in a city, so I did tie them out in the backyard and walked them around my neighborhood on a leash. They did learn to look both ways before crossing the street from it....and learned to escape their tie-outs in the most creative ways. I would teach them to come when called with treats or something; cats are quite smart just hard to motivate.

highasakite
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by highasakite » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:53 am

Letting them outside with no supervision or control would be an incredibly irresponsible thing to do. So would a tie-out, if you weren't watching them. Teaching them to walk on-lead, and getting an x-pen, are the smartest idea's I've seen here so far.