Pennsylvania exotic breed permits for wolf hybrids/lookalike

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
lit6507
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Pennsylvania exotic breed permits for wolf hybrids/lookalike

Post by lit6507 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:20 am

Hi everyone,

While looking around at Tamaskan type dogs I cam across the Czechoslovakian Vlcak also knowns as the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. I live in Pennsylvania and would need a permit to have any wold hybrid type dog. Would a Czechoslovakian Vlcak need such as permit in Pennsylvania? They are recognized by the American Kennel Club so I am confused as to if they are looked at as a dog or a hybrid type? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Joe

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Pennsylvania exotic breed permits for wolf hybrids/looka

Post by rhadamant » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:46 pm

lit6507 wrote:Hi everyone,

While looking around at Tamaskan type dogs I cam across the Czechoslovakian Vlcak also knowns as the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. I live in Pennsylvania and would need a permit to have any wold hybrid type dog. Would a Czechoslovakian Vlcak need such as permit in Pennsylvania? They are recognized by the American Kennel Club so I am confused as to if they are looked at as a dog or a hybrid type? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Joe
Here's the law in Pennsylvania:
Wolves and Wolf Hybrids may be possessed if they are purchased or received from any
lawful sources from within or without the state and if the owner first secures an Exotic Wildlife
Possession Permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Game Commission. Inspection by the
Commission is required to insure that minimum requirements for secure and humane housing
conditions are met. "Minimum pen requirements for a single animal are 15' length by 8' width
by 6' height covered at the top to prevent escape. For a pair, double the cage length. For each
additional animal - after 2 add 10' to the cage length. A secluded den area 4'W x 4'L is
required for a single animal. Add 3' in length for an additional animal."
"Records shall be maintained of acquisitions and disposals of exotic wildlife as well as
exotic wildlife born on the premises. Records shall be in ink, written in English and include the
full name and address of the person with whom a transaction is conducted. Records shall be
available for inspection by Commission personnel at reasonable hours. Entries shall be made
on the day of transaction.
Now with that said, I highly doubt you'd actually have to go to this length for a Czech Wolfdog, especially since they're a registered AKC breed with breeders. A Czech Wolfdog breeder would probably know best, however, so many you should try to contact one who lives in the US to inquire about specific regulations and laws regarding the breed. I know some Tamaskan owners have had trouble acquiring insurance for their pets because they 'look too much like wolves', so sometimes even when the laws say one thing, town districts and counties might have their own ideas.