A historical Pomeranian x wolf cross

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

A historical Pomeranian x wolf cross

Post by Tiantai » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:16 pm

So I have been searching for this historical documentary for a while and finally found it. It is titled A Tour in Scotland 1769 by Thomas Pennant and in one chapter the author made mention of an extremely rare hybridization between a male gray wolf and female Pomeranian! I am tempted to take this information with salt but I also heard that since Poms were slightly larger back then, it is possible this was legitimate. Still the thought of any SMALL breed mixing with a wolf and producing a whopping of TEN pups is just blowing the sanity out of my mind!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=vk8 ... an&f=false
I alfo faw here a dog the offspring of a Wolf and Pomeranian bitch. It had much the appearance of the firft, was very good-natured, and fportive; but being flipped at a weak Deer it inflantly brought the animal down and tore out its throat. This dog was bred by Mr. Book, animal-merchant in London, who told me that the congrefs between the wolf and bitch was immediate, and the produce at the litter was ten.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: A historical Pomeranian x wolf cross

Post by firleymj » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:12 pm

At the expense of being pedantic, antique typesetting used a character that looked like an "f" (except without the horizontal bar) to stand for an "s" sound in a word. A doubled 's' (progress, congress) was rendered 'fs' Therefore a slightly easier to read version below:

"I also saw here a dog the offspring of a Wolf and Pomeranian bitch. It had much the appearance of the first, was very good-natured, and sportive; but being slipped [let off leash] at a weak Deer it instantly brought the animal down and tore out its throat. This dog was bred by Mr. Book, animal-merchant in London, who told me that the congress between the wolf and bitch was immediate, and the produce at the litter was ten."

Really good piece of research! Never knew this. THANK YOU for sharing it!
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: A historical Pomeranian x wolf cross

Post by Tiantai » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:13 pm

firleymj wrote:At the expense of being pedantic, antique typesetting used a character that looked like an "f" (except without the horizontal bar) to stand for an "s" sound in a word. A doubled 's' (progress, congress) was rendered 'fs' Therefore a slightly easier to read version below:
Ah, I was perplexed on the usage of the "f". Thanks for clarifying it for me :D
firleymj wrote:"I also saw here a dog the offspring of a Wolf and Pomeranian bitch. It had much the appearance of the first, was very good-natured, and sportive; but being slipped [let off leash] at a weak Deer it instantly brought the animal down and tore out its throat. This dog was bred by Mr. Book, animal-merchant in London, who told me that the congress between the wolf and bitch was immediate, and the produce at the litter was ten."
That makes more sense. :)
firleymj wrote:Really good piece of research! Never knew this. THANK YOU for sharing it!
My pleasure. And frankly, I did know about this hybridization but I just wasn't aware that the dam produced 10 puppies. I had once mentioned this case on one of my posts on facebook to another user but was unable to find the source at the time to back it up. I understand that the idea of a wolf mating with a small dog is more likely to be taken with skepticism as I am also questioning the validity of this story but I knew that surely we do have records of these extremely rare occurrences historically and am glad to finally be able to provide the evidence for this one. :mrgreen: