Other "wolfy-looking" (uncommon) Dog Breeds

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Other "wolfy-looking" (uncommon) Dog Breeds

Post by Valravn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:05 pm

This is all I've been able to find about the "Kugsha Dog"
The Kugsha Dog is also described as being a a result of the immersion of three distinct bloodlines for the purpose of producing the finest quality weight-pulling and freighting breed that is still a companionable animal suited for families with experience in large northern breeds, as well as being said to be a primitive northern breed of dogs. My understanding of these dogs is that the three lines were bred in the 1980's, again over 20 years of selective breeding.
http://www.dogstuff.info/wolfdogs_myths_facts.html

Anyone know anything about them?
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Kugsha Dog

Post by blufawn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:32 pm

never heard of them
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Amy
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Amy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:42 am

never heard of them

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:09 am

Strange. I've never heard of this "breed" but it looks like it also goes by the name of "Amerindian Malamute" - however, I can't find any info about either the "Kugsha Dog" OR the "Amerindian Malamute" anywhere. Sounds like they either stopped breeding and the bloodline fizzled out (or was used to create some of today's existing breeds) or it simply never existed in the first place... at least not as a distinct breed of its own right. (Sounds a lot like the NAID)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:38 am

Never heard of them either. Did notice that this is wrong:
Sarloos were first crossed with wolves back in 1955 with a very set breeding plan and were recognized as a national breed of Czechoslavkia in 1982. It was recognized as a breed of its own in 1972, seventeen years after the first crossing of a German Shepherd with a wolf by Leendert Sarloos who died six years before the dog was recognized. It is not considered a wolf-hybrid, but is a distinctive breed after 47 years of selective, careful breeding.
They're mixing the history of the Tjech with the Saarloos.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 pm

What are people like :lol:

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:28 pm

I'd heard of these quite some time ago, but was unable to find much info on them.
It seems that no more has surfaced since I stopped searching.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

Aushra
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

American Tundra Shepherds

Post by Aushra » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:14 am

"American Tundra Shepherds"? Is there such a creature? I couldn't find any information more recent than 2006.

Tamaddict
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: American Tundra Shepherds

Post by Tamaddict » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:31 am

I've never heard of them but I just researched them real quick. This was taken from this site: http://www.americanshepherd.com/home.html

"The American Tundra Shepherd Dog is the result of what began as a breeding program originally funded by the government, This "experiment" the "Superdog" project entailed crossing the Alaskan Tundra Wolf (Canis Lupus Tundrarum) and the German Shepherd Dog to try and produce a superior line of shepard like dogs."

They are supposed to be 50% wolf but from what I've seen they are very inconsistant. Some look like full breed german shepards and others look wolfy. It seems to depend on the breeder(following the link above will bring you to very german shepard dogs, this one(http://fensmtnkennels.com/) to dogs that look like they havemuch higher wolf content), though I am hardly an expert and can be wrong. Apparently they have been around since the 1970s. There seems to be very few breeders.
-Michelle

shadowingshadow
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Native american indian dog

Post by shadowingshadow » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:13 pm

Has anybody heard about the NAID (Native American Indian Dog) yet?

They look really wolfy, and I've read that their temperament is good. But i can't find a lot of information about them or find any breeders. I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me more about this breed :)

Here's some information about the breed: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/nativeamericanindiandog.htm
Also can someone tell me if these people are legit? http://www.nighteyesfarms.net
I've also found another site: http://www.indianvalleykennels.com/ These people seem legit but they haven't posted anything since 2008.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Native american indian dog

Post by blufawn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:23 pm

I have heard of them yes. All I have heard is that they are relatively new, nothing to do with native american indians and that their standard is a joke. But I have not actually done any research on them, I do believe that NAID breeders bought two Tamaskans, one from J&J but she rehomed it I believe and another (the piebald) from Takari.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Native american indian dog

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:37 pm

You know what I find more fascinating are Carolina Dogs...THOSE are the dogs that supposedly Native Americans had...neat stuff. Right up there with Dingos, Pariah dogs, and New Guinea Singing Dogs...haha. I watch National Geographic too much :lol:
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Megaen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Other "wolfy-looking" (uncommon) Dog Breeds

Post by Megaen » Tue May 17, 2011 3:27 am

some what "wolfy looking" Not to many in the USA though :(

Shikoku it's one of the 6 Japanese Spitz Breeds. It does have the Spitz Tail but still lovely :)

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Tue May 17, 2011 9:20 am

This is a lovely dog :D

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Gorgeous dog.

I think it looks like a wolf x fox well sort of lol I guess you could call it a wox or a folf. Lol I know I'm silly lol.
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:56 am

I do like the Shikoku breed as far as appearance, the sesame ones are really nice... but, from what I gather, they are very aloof (as with most Japanese breeds, but perhaps even more so) and can have difficult temperaments.

Glennz
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Glennz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:58 am

Anybody ever heard of the Jämthund or Swedish Elkhound

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:45 am

West-Siberian Laika:

Think they would have been a suitable candidate to add as an outcross for the Tamaskan if they didn't have that curly tail..

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:59 am

Rahne wrote:Think they would have been a suitable candidate to add as an outcross for the Tamaskan if they didn't have that curly tail..
They are used as hunting dogs though and have an exceptionally high prey drive - so while the appearance is a close match, we definitely wouldn't want to add that factor into the Tamaskan bloodlines.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:21 am

Glennz wrote:Anybody ever heard of the Jämthund or Swedish Elkhound
Yes I heard about it, and talked to someone owning the breed.
Was considering it to be a dog option actually ;)
>> Nino <<

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:04 am

Sylvaen wrote:
Rahne wrote:Think they would have been a suitable candidate to add as an outcross for the Tamaskan if they didn't have that curly tail..
They are used as hunting dogs though and have an exceptionally high prey drive - so while the appearance is a close match, we definitely wouldn't want to add that factor into the Tamaskan bloodlines.
Well most husky's aren't able to be let off the leash because of hunting, they're used mostly in the Tamaskan breed and most of our Tamaskan can bet let off the leash ;)

If you would choose a male Laika that doesn't come from pure hunting lines so it doesn't have the strong prey drive and then outcross it with a Tamaskan female that has hardly any prey drive then the pups could have 'moderate' prey drive. If those pups are bred to pure Tamaskan again then the prey drive would be diluted again so it's not like if you would use one Laika that the whole breed would suddenly have high prey drive.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:29 am

We met some West-Siberian Laika at a show in Europe when we were living over there, they didnt look anything like that though..... lovely dogs, but bounce off the walls crazy im told.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Rahne wrote:Well most husky's aren't able to be let off the leash because of hunting, they're used mostly in the Tamaskan breed and most of our Tamaskan can bet let off the leash ;)
There's a really big difference! Many huskies DO have quite a high prey drive BUT they are bred for pulling sleds.
The WSL is strictly a hunting dog... it is bred to HUNT and KILL.
WSL, is a breed of hunting dog developed by the indigenous people of Northern Ural and West Siberia. They used Laikas mostly for treeing squirrels and hunting small predators with valuable fur.

Originally, West Siberian Laikas were dogs kept only by professional hunters. They can work as versatility dogs, but their strength is in their ability to specialize on one type of game only. Professional hunters want their dog to be focused on the game with the most valuable fur. Laikas working on sable and pine marten were, and still are, the most valuable. Such selection is fully understandable; in the nineteenth century the money from one silver-black sable pelt supported a family of four for a year. Because of this, the dogs that worked on every kind of game were killed or kept out of breeding. West Siberians are the last breed of hunting Laikas that still preserve this pro ability in their genes. This is what really differentiates them from other Hunting Laikas and makes them so unique. They are capable of specializing on one game only and master hunting it to perfection. Today, careful training is paramount for a West Siberian Laika to perform at its best. Depending on how it is trained, a West Siberian Laika has the ability to hunt small animals such as squirrels, pine marten, or sable, or big game such as moose, bear, or wild boar. Some hunters prefer training their West Siberians for birds, such as capercaillies, pheasants, or waterfowl.
The West Siberian Laika is a highly active dog (extremely bounce-off-the-walls-crazy) and they are also highly territorial and aggressive with other dogs, and so West Siberian Laikas cannot be kept properly in huge kennels. This would definitely not be a suitable breed to cross into Tamaskan bloodlines. There are many other 'wolfy-looking' breeds out there, with more appropriate temperament / character for the Tamaskan's purposes.
Rahne wrote:If you would choose a male Laika that doesn't come from pure hunting lines so it doesn't have the strong prey drive and then outcross it with a Tamaskan female that has hardly any prey drive then the pups could have 'moderate' prey drive. If those pups are bred to pure Tamaskan again then the prey drive would be diluted again so it's not like if you would use one Laika that the whole breed would suddenly have high prey drive.
Where would we find a "male Laika that doesn't come from pure hunting lines"? That's like finding a husky that doesn't come from sled-dog lines (an inherent breed trait). Also, the WSL usually has patched fur so not only would it mean the addition of a much higher hunting instinct, it would also mean a curly tail and patchy coat colors. Might as well use CEDs instead - at least they are sled dogs / multi-purpose companions, rather than pure hunting dogs. Though they are also used for hunting, they are more versatile and probably don't have quite such a high prey drive... however, they are also pretty 'bounce-off-the-walls-crazy' :lol:

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Where would we find a "male Laika that doesn't come from pure hunting lines"? That's like finding a husky that doesn't come from sled-dog lines (an inherent breed trait).
There is a big difference in the Husky's that are specifically selected and bred for the sledsports and the ones that are bred and kept as family pets.

If there was a Saarloos going to be used as outcross would that mean that the whole Tamaskan breed would become skittish and fearfull of strangers? Or with a Tjech the breed would get dog agressive and dominant?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:54 pm

Rahne wrote:If there was a Saarloos going to be used as outcross would that mean that the whole Tamaskan breed would become skittish and fearfull of strangers? Or with a Tjech the breed would get dog agressive and dominant?
Nope... a fearful / skittish / dog aggressive / dominant dog would never pass the behavioral test to be considered as a suitable out-cross, regardless of breed. Only dogs with sound temperaments would ever be considered. I know you're saying not to generalize by breed, and the fact that only a select bloodline would be influenced, but I really don't think the WSL (as a breed) has anything to offer Tamaskan bloodlines... apart from the fact that SOME of them (a very small percentage) look 'wolfy' - if you google for WSL images, you'll see that many of them don't actually look very 'wolfy' at all.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Characterwise I would like to have a Tam a bit more obedient and focused on the owner. So if I where to think about an out-cross, I probably would search for something like this, but I don't know enough about genetics and the German Shepherd. But without the mask they look more wolfy to me than with it. Maybe you also have them in wolfgray, but I don't know how that colour is called in English.
Maskless German Shepherd (I stole the pic from another topic):

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Personally I do not want to cross in the German Shepherd. So much health problems :cry: And the problem is most German Shepherd breeders are not open about health. So is DM not taken seriously, while this disease come from the German Shepherd :?
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:12 pm

MoirAran wrote:Personally I do not want to cross in the German Shepherd. So much health problems :cry: And the problem is most German Shepherd breeders are not open about health. So is DM not taken seriously, while this disease come from the German Shepherd :?
Yes, you are right. But maybe if you search in the working-type German Shepherd (where health is more valuable than in the show-type) you can come across more suitable dogs than the showdogs, which I find horrible with their frog like bodies. :|

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:19 pm

But surely adding German Shepherd to the Tamaskan now would make the ears too big again, one thing I like about the Tam is the tiny ears.
Mel.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:24 pm

I think there are many nice, health tested GSD's with normal backs (not banana backs as we call them in UK) from intelligent working lines. However they do not have the ears, head or colour to make a good Tam outcross....
Why settle for 3 faults in GSD's when we can find 3 faults in a lot of breeds (ignoring temprement), such as *random pick* the St Bernard....which would give us a good coat, good bone and good size BUT 1. wrong colour 2.wrong ears 3. wrong head
We have to look at the bigger picture when using pedigree outcrosses, not what can they bring thats good, but what will they bring thats bad and does the good outweigh the bad? (which when you think how long it may take to breed out that trait....ie we are STILL working on the husky tails and poor masking, its not a good time to add 3 more faults)

Id rather find a breed with just 1 fault or a breed trying to do similar things as us (such as Ute, NI, ANCD) but from a breeder who has a good long record of health testing and unrelated lines, sadly we havent found such a breeder.

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:18 pm

blufawn wrote:I think there are many nice, health tested GSD's with normal backs (not banana backs as we call them in UK) from intelligent working lines. However they do not have the ears, head or colour to make a good Tam outcross....
Why settle for 3 faults in GSD's when we can find 3 faults in a lot of breeds (ignoring temprement), such as *random pick* the St Bernard....which would give us a good coat, good bone and good size BUT 1. wrong colour 2.wrong ears 3. wrong head
We have to look at the bigger picture when using pedigree outcrosses, not what can they bring thats good, but what will they bring thats bad and does the good outweigh the bad? (which when you think how long it may take to breed out that trait....ie we are STILL working on the husky tails and poor masking, its not a good time to add 3 more faults)

Id rather find a breed with just 1 fault or a breed trying to do similar things as us (such as Ute, NI, ANCD) but from a breeder who has a good long record of health testing and unrelated lines, sadly we havent found such a breeder.
That makes sense, I can't see the point in adding GSD to the Tamaskan.

I'm curious....

I'm wondering would TDR ever consider using a Saarloos x Inuit as an out cross, I used to own a very beautiful Saarloos x Inuit (No longer have her :cry: not her fault it was mine and a whole other terrible story :cry: , she's in a home in Scotland now and hopefully still happy, sadly I've lost contact with her new owners)

Anyway she was not at all Saarloos in her temperment she was very happy out going and friendly dog not at all shy with strangers, I think she took the best looks of a Saarloos and the out going temperment of the inuit.

Heres some photos I think she looks quite like a Tamaskan. Zena is only 10 months old in these photos, so still only a baby really.

ImageImage
ImageImage
(oh I miss her so much she was such a gentle loving dog)

I'm thinking the wolf content in the Saarloos would made her unexceptable to include in the Tamaskan. I'm just curious because she definitly had the right temperment and I think the right looks.

I guess what I'm asking is if a dog came along that had the right temperment, looks and health. Would it be excluded because it had Saarloos wolfdog blood breeding or Czech wolfdog breeding????
Mel.

Glennz
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Glennz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:34 pm

wolfwannabe wrote:I guess what I'm asking is if a dog came along that had the right temperment, looks and health. Would it be excluded because it had Saarloos wolfdog blood breeding or Czech wolfdog breeding????
I believe that in the Saarloos and Czech there hasn´t been Wolf interbreeding for 20+ years and is many generations away.
That´s why they are now mostly considered dogs.
The recentness and amount of wolf-blood in your dog was in my opinion that low there would have been no problem.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:14 pm

haven't a handfull of breeders started breeding wolf with Saarloos and Czech's again? i saw somewhere but not sure how accurate it was. it was going on about how wolf content will get the breed restricted as a pet... or something along those lines...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Glennz wrote:The recentness and amount of wolf-blood in your dog was in my opinion that low there would have been no problem.
Personally I think a dog this far diluted from a wolf (being only half Saarloos for a start) would have such a small percentage of wolf that it is a domestic dog, no longer a wolfdog, but then you would have to carefully look at the dogs pedigree for anything suspicious.... EVERYTHING would depend on temprement and health testing and because of the Saarloos influence it would be important that the parent pure Saarloos also was health tested and had a good temprement.
I know of two Utonagan x Czech that have had to be put down because of aggression, if this is the owners fault or through genetics I dont know, but if dealing with these breeds you would have to be EXTRA careful and really think it through and be careful who you sell your 1st generation pups to.
Its very hard to say what would happen, but im open minded.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:15 pm

blufawn wrote:I think there are many nice, health tested GSD's with normal backs (not banana backs as we call them in UK) from intelligent working lines. However they do not have the ears, head or colour to make a good Tam outcross....

Yes, that does make sense. Very difficult to find a good dog for a outcross. Although you could sign me up for a German Shepherd/Tam cross. :lol: I bet you will come up with a good idea when the times comes an outcross will be necessary. ;)
@ Wolfwannabe, wow, Zena is really pretty! So sad that you don't have her any more. :(

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:22 pm

"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 am

Bottom pic is very Tamaskan like from what I see but that shouldnt surprise us as there is a lot of husky in our breed :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Valravn wrote:This is all I've been able to find about the "Kugsha Dog"
The Kugsha Dog is also described as being a a result of the immersion of three distinct bloodlines for the purpose of producing the finest quality weight-pulling and freighting breed that is still a companionable animal suited for families with experience in large northern breeds, as well as being said to be a primitive northern breed of dogs. My understanding of these dogs is that the three lines were bred in the 1980's, again over 20 years of selective breeding.
http://www.dogstuff.info/wolfdogs_myths_facts.html

Anyone know anything about them?
As far as I've been told by a wolfdog activist to stay away from breeders of those mysterious dogs. Kugsha dogs are, based on what I was told, mutts that may or may not have any wolf-content in their lines depending on which breeder one gets them from (yes some of them are wolfdogs). They're not a legitimate breed but some crossbreeds whom many wolfdog commercial breeders have used to con unsuspecting buyers, at least that's what I've heard. Some other bizarre breeders you might want to stay away from are those breeding Esquimaux dogs (once used as the old name for the Northern Inuit but now some puppymillers breeding wolfdogs in states that ban them are attempting to hide the wolf in them using this name), Keuleman dogs (what the world is a Keuleman?), Arctic Indian Racing dogs (possibly low-content wolfdogs), American Indian Dogs (also wolf-lookalike crossbreeds sold by puppy millers), American Tamaskans/Tamaskan wolfdogs (STAY AWAY FROM THIS BREEDER! I'm sure most of us here know why!), and other breeders who are using bizarre names for their dogs. How to we know those dogs aren't legitimate breeds? Well if you google search most of those names, unless the breeder's a notoriety puppymiller like RPK, you can BARELY find any infos on those bizarre breeds almost as if they don't exist! You won't even find them on most website attempting to list as many known breeds while Tamaskans are now listed on a lot of site (Tamaskans WILL become a legitimate breed). As for the Kugsha, I don't know for sure but I'm suspecting that it's no different from all of those mysterious dog breeds so please be careful.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm

blufawn wrote:We met some West-Siberian Laika at a show in Europe when we were living over there, they didnt look anything like that though..... lovely dogs, but bounce off the walls crazy im told.
I heard that both the East and the West Siberian Laika share a common ancestor with the Chukchi sled-dogs (Siberian Huskies). I don't know for sure but they do have similar traits.

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:13 pm

@Wolfwannabe:
Is this your old dog on this add? :?

http://www.k9puppy.co.uk/PuppiesforSale ... 20292.aspx

@Rahne:
When I googled for images of Kugsha Dogs, the second image you posted as Siberian Laika came up as a Kugsha Dog.

@Aushra
There are various sources on American Tundra Sheperds,but they have somewhat contradicting photos or pictures. In the photos on some of the sites, some dogs look quite different from each other with some looking very wolfy, some looking like very muscular dogs similiar in appearance to german shepards but you can still see it's a different breed and some looking like purebred GSDs. I consider the most reliable source to be the magazine article on them that shows photos all the dogs with a uniform chunky GSD-like look. In addition,some sites say that the Tundra Sheperd were started as an experiment that involved breeding an Alaskan Tundra wolf with a german shepard,but neither the magazine article or the site that's supposedly for the official american tundra sheperd association mentioned anything about wolf being in the breed.

Here are some links on the dogs:
Most reliable source:
http://www.pawprintsthemagazine.com/?p=14929

Second most reiable source:
http://www.atsfoundation.com/
Supposedly the official founding club for the breed,but the physical inconsistances between various dogs in their gallery that are supposed to be the same breed are overwhelming.

Iffy on this one:
http://fensmtnkennels.com/
Possibly a scammer that isn't actually related to the breed or the foundation for it at all as his/her dogs look very wolfdog like unlike the ones on the foundation's site.

Site claiming wolf origins:
http://www.dogbreedworld.com/american_t ... epherd_dog

Another site claiming wolf origins which also shows a good page on wolflookalike dogs, shepherds, and actual wolf hybrids as well:
http://dogbreeds.bulldoginformation.com ... brids.html

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

the Alsatian Wolfdog (GSD)

Post by caninesrock » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:18 pm

This site also claims that these various breeds have wolf in them,but some of the breeds they mentioned, I've never heard of before:
http://www.wolf-to-wolfdog.org/name.htm

Esquimaux dogs-which when googled, the only info I could find on them was as it being another name for Canadian Inuit Dogs.

Kugsha dogs

Sanjankah Dogs-I believe when I googled this, the only thing I found was what appeared to be another name for Siberian huskies.

American Husky-can find no info on.
Native Amerindian Dogs-can find no info on.

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Has anyone heard of the Lapponian Herder Dogs, also known as the Finnish Reindeer herding husky? The natives use them to pull sleds and herd reindeer. The gray colored ones look really wolfy:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:15 am

caninesrock wrote:Has anyone heard of the Lapponian Herder Dogs, also known as the Finnish Reindeer herding husky? The natives use them to pull sleds and herd reindeer. The gray colored ones look really wolfy:

Yes I know of them..
considering if one of these should join my pack at some point in the future ;)
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:04 am

The masking on the second photo looks like a tamaskan's to me... never heard of the breed I will have to google it.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: the Alsatian Wolfdog (GSD)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 am

caninesrock wrote:This site also claims that these various breeds have wolf in them,but some of the breeds they mentioned, I've never heard of before:

Esquimaux dogs-which when googled, the only info I could find on them was as it being another name for Canadian Inuit Dogs.

Kugsha dogs

Sanjankah Dogs-I believe when I googled this, the only thing I found was what appeared to be another name for Siberian huskies.

American Huskies are just plain Siberian Huskies bred by some breeders in the US who decided to nationalize their dogs. Slang name

Kugsha dogs are either wolfdogs or just some mutts depending on the breeders you get off from. Not all of them have recent wolfdogs in their ancestry but there are some that do and in some cases certain commercial breeders use the Kugsha name in an attempt to hide the wolf in their dogs partly because they live in states like Michigan where wolfdogs are banned

Native Amerindian Dogs - same as Kugsha. Mutts that may or may not have recent wolfdogs in their ancestries. I swear a lot of puppymillers out there piss me off when they invent lame names in an attempt to mislead their buyers.

Sanjankah Dogs- never heard of it...

Esquimaux dogs- Old name for the CED or in some case CID. Sadly, there are also commercial breeders now using it for the same reason as the ones breeding Kugsha dogs despite them having no relation to the actual CID.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:20 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:
caninesrock wrote:This site also claims that these various breeds have wolf in them,but some of the breeds they mentioned, I've never heard of before:

Kugsha dogs

American Huskies are just plain Siberian Huskies bred by some breeders in the US who decided to nationalize their dogs. Slang name
Nope, American Huskies are the same as Canadian huskies, literally almost any breed mix with huskies but bred in the USA. In otherwords they are not true sibes, rather, a mix.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Maybe, but as far as I've seen several Canadian Husky-mixes such as the rare Labrador Huskies (and NO they're NOT Labrador x Sibes, the Labrador part of their name is based on the fact that these dogs originated in Newfoundland & Labrador) many of them appear to resemble Siberian Huskies to a level. I guess you can count the Alaskan Huskies as among the various kinds of American Huskies since they're also crossbreeds with an apparent high concentration of Huskies in them. By the way, yes the Labrador Huskies do have distant wolfdogs in their ancestries much like the German Shepherds but they are not wolfdogs and neither are the German Shepherds.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:01 pm

@caninesrock
Thanks for the photos.
I did at one point confused that breed with the Finnish Racing Huskies. The agouti-coloured ones do kind of resemble some of the Finnish Racing Huskies a bit but then again, those Lapland dogs have been crossed-bred in the past with dogs that were used strictly for sled-dog races and not for beauty although that came in the package so it's possible that some Finnish Huskies might have a sprinkle of Lapponian herders in them but I don't know for sure.

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:29 pm

I have always thought that blue GSDs looked pretty wolfy.

And I love this colour (also a GSD), I think it's very blackphase-ish!

Also, I think this is just the coolest looking dog. I think it actually does have some wolf in it (obviously not a whole lot), but it is blue merle. So interesting!

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Kootenaywolf wrote: Also, I think this is just the coolest looking dog. I think it actually does have some wolf in it (obviously not a whole lot), but it is blue merle. So interesting!
Nice! I doubt there is (if any) wolf in the dog but it's still cute. Overall this mutt would probably pass as "just another mixed breed". But if there is it's probably between 1-5% like the Kunming Wolfdog breeds