Other "wolfy-looking" (uncommon) Dog Breeds

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Other "wolfy-looking" (uncommon) Dog Breeds

Post by Kootenaywolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:23 pm

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:
Kootenaywolf wrote: Also, I think this is just the coolest looking dog. I think it actually does have some wolf in it (obviously not a whole lot), but it is blue merle. So interesting!
Nice! I doubt there is (if any) wolf in the dog but it's still cute. Overall this mutt would probably pass as "just another mixed breed". But if there is it's probably between 1-5% like the Kunming Wolfdog breeds
It was phenotyped by a very experienced (and trusted) wolfdog expert - it is a verified low content. Obviously one would not try to pass it off as a wolfdog in day to day life. Still I think it's interesting to pick out the wolfy traits in such an unusual colour!

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:28 pm

Kootenaywolf wrote: Image
I've seen this guy before. Such a cool looking animal! I'm surprised no wolfdog breeders(that I'm aware of) are purposefully breeding for unusual colors like merle. I'd love to see a brindle WD.
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:24 pm

I've seen this guy before. Such a cool looking animal! I'm surprised no wolfdog breeders(that I'm aware of) are purposefully breeding for unusual colors like merle. I'd love to see a brindle WD.
I agree! I guess because it goes against the typical wolfy look, but still I think it's very interesting. I agree a brindle WD would be really cool looking!

Also I just recently saw this dog, a Rough Collie/WD, really really interesting! Especially for me, because I have a Rough Collie. I'd always been curious what that cross would turn out like. I think she is beautiful!

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:25 pm

the blue merle is interesting, lovely looking dog, but I love the collie cross WD she looks wonderful, but then I love rough collies.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:35 pm

The colouring on the merle reminds me a little of a blue heeler
Image Image

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Merl is a nice colour/pattern however, I would find someone trying to create a line/breed of entirely merl dogs highly irresponsible, given the nature of merl and what can happen when you breed merl to merl.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Taz wrote:Merl is a nice colour/pattern however, I would find someone trying to create a line/breed of entirely merl dogs highly irresponsible, given the nature of merl and what can happen when you breed merl to merl.
*For the record I was not suggesting anyone should breed merle to merle. I am well aware of problems that come with such breedings.
"Hufflepuff’s symbol is a badger, which is fluffy, adorable, unassuming, and will rip your face off if you threaten something it cares about, which sums the House up quite neatly."

Korinne
コリン

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:06 pm

The blue merle is really cool looking reminds me of my sisters heeler with a littler shepherd thrown in.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Valravn wrote:
Taz wrote:Merl is a nice colour/pattern however, I would find someone trying to create a line/breed of entirely merl dogs highly irresponsible, given the nature of merl and what can happen when you breed merl to merl.
*For the record I was not suggesting anyone should breed merle to merle. I am well aware of problems that come with such breedings.
as you say - merle to merle SHOULD NOT be bred!
Gaby in here have a double merle dog - and some of the risks (besides death before being born) is deafness and blindness..
:?
>> Nino <<

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:56 pm

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:@caninesrock
Thanks for the photos.
I did at one point confused that breed with the Finnish Racing Huskies. The agouti-coloured ones do kind of resemble some of the Finnish Racing Huskies a bit but then again, those Lapland dogs have been crossed-bred in the past with dogs that were used strictly for sled-dog races and not for beauty although that came in the package so it's possible that some Finnish Huskies might have a sprinkle of Lapponian herders in them but I don't know for sure.
They are not the same thing as the Finnish Racing huskies? What do the Finnish racing huskies look like?
Nino wrote:
Valravn wrote:
Gaby in here have a double merle dog - and some of the risks (besides death before being born) is deafness and blindness..
What about merle to non merle?

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Kootenaywolf wrote:I have always thought that blue GSDs looked pretty wolfy.

And I love this colour (also a GSD), I think it's very blackphase-ish!

Also, I think this is just the coolest looking dog. I think it actually does have some wolf in it (obviously not a whole lot), but it is blue merle. So interesting!

The blue shepard remind me of a developing wolfdog breed called Blue Bay Shepards. The merle just looks like a blue heeler/Australian Cattle Dog mix.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Developing wolfdog breed :roll: because there arn't enough homeless WD's already :|

The blue shepard looks good :D i'd love to have a white and blue to enhance each others colors :P

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Waw.. the collie WD is AWSOME...

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:37 pm

caninesrock wrote: They are not the same thing as the Finnish Racing huskies? What do the Finnish racing huskies look like?
Check the New Outcrossed thread

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Totally missed this topic!
Nino wrote:
Valravn wrote:
Yes, I know the problems with merle to merle breeding... :( My dog, a Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog, is actually a double merle x merle. But the difficult thing in this breed that there exist cryptic merle's. That are dogs that look like solids, but carry the merle gene. Also normal coloured merle dogs can be double merle. Fortunately you can test your dog today so you know if it is a cryptic merle, merle, double merle or a solid (a Catahoula without merle). But most breeders just kill the white puppies.... :x

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:47 am

caninesrock wrote:

The blue shepard remind me of a developing wolfdog breed called Blue Bay Shepards. The merle just looks like a blue heeler/Australian Cattle Dog mix.
Yes! Those blue GSDs are related to the BBS, the first one is Jordan who is the father of the BBS litters with Slate and Kai, and the second one is Jordan's mother. So good eye ;)

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Kootenaywolf wrote:
caninesrock wrote:

Yes! Those blue GSDs are related to the BBS, the first one is Jordan who is the father of the BBS litters with Slate and Kai, and the second one is Jordan's mother. So good eye ;)
Ah. So that's why they look familiar. Lol. XD

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: the Alsatian Wolfdog (GSD)

Post by caninesrock » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Kugsha dogs are either wolfdogs or just some mutts depending on the breeders you get off from. Not all of them have recent wolfdogs in their ancestry but there are some that do and in some cases certain commercial breeders use the Kugsha name in an attempt to hide the wolf in their dogs partly because they live in states like Michigan where wolfdogs are banned

Native Amerindian Dogs - same as Kugsha. Mutts that may or may not have recent wolfdogs in their ancestries. I swear a lot of puppymillers out there piss me off when they invent lame names in an attempt to mislead their buyers.
Do you have pictures of what some of these dogs are supposed to look like when they have no wolf in them? I'm just really curious about them now.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:22 am

caninesrock wrote: Do you have pictures of what some of these dogs are supposed to look like when they have no wolf in them? I'm just really curious about them now.
This site used to have a load of photos but have taken them off since last year. Kindda regret not copying the pictures when I had the chance back then.

http://www.everythinghusky.com/dogskugsha.html

They still mention other wolfdogs on that site but many informations have since then dried up.

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:50 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:
caninesrock wrote: Do you have pictures of what some of these dogs are supposed to look like when they have no wolf in them? I'm just really curious about them now.
This site used to have a load of photos but have taken them off since last year. Kindda regret not copying the pictures when I had the chance back then.

http://www.everythinghusky.com/dogskugsha.html

They still mention other wolfdogs on that site but many informations have since then dried up.
Thanks for the link. All the sites on Kugsha dogs don't exsist anymore though. I guess the breeders abandoned the project. Either that or the whole thing really was a scam and the breed never really exsisted in the first place.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:17 am

Image Image

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:26 am

Thank you. ^^ It still makes me suspicious though on if they are real or not because of how little info there is on them and even further troubling,almost no photos.

Nahani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nahani » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 pm

The blue shepherd is quite an interesting colour but the one in the pic has a really long sad face, is that normal for that breed? As for the blue merle dog, it reminds me of the pack of wild dogs I saw in South Africa! I love the look of the Hedlund Husky, and the Rough Collie x WD has a very interesting look about her.

My two-penneth as they say in these parts! :)

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 am

Really love the color of the Blue Bay Shepherds, they are definitely interesting!
Katurah

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:35 pm

I've composed a list of all the breeds I know of that are made to look like wolves, in one way or another. It's just for fun, and I have nineteen "breeds" (most can hardly be called breeds, since there is no registry and perhaps no more than a couple of breeders in the entire world, but I'm not picky ;)) listed right now.

But I'm looking for number #20!
Please tell me if you know about another one.

Saarloos Wolfhond
Československý vlčák
Northern Inuit Dog
Utonagan
British Utonagan
Tamaskan
Aatu Tamaskan
British Inuit
British Wolfdog
British Timber Dog
Native American Indian Dog
American Alsatian
Alaskan Noble Companion Dog
North American Noble Dog
Anglo Wulfdog
Swedish Wolfdog/Svensk Varghund
American Wolfdog
Blue Bay Shepherd
American Tundra Shepherd
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:03 am

Shikoku and Kunming and Lupo Italiano once looked like wolves too but have changed a lot overtime. The former looks more like a miniature Malamute to my eyes while the latter are more GSD looking now.

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:02 am

Right, I forgot about the Lupo Italiano.
And yes, I know about (and love) the Shikoku, but they don't qualify as they weren't bred to look like wolves (even though they look more like it than many of the breeds in that list :roll:).
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:15 pm

I think the Shikoku looks more like Akita Inu and Shiba Inu in wolf colors than a Malamute :roll:
>> Nino <<

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:26 am

There are rumours going around in Japan suggesting that the now extinct Grey wolf subspecies the Hokkaido wolves were used in the foundation of the Shikoku breed but I now think more research needs to be done to confirm whether or not this is true. At the moment, I don't know myself, maybe some genetic comparison within the bones of the Hokkaido wolves can be compared to see if they can be traced in the breed.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Yes, last I knew they were attempting to extract DNA to bring back one of the sub species of wolf native to Japan. One of my grad professors wrote a book on Japan's wolves:

I did a short film about his work. It's not online but I won best short for "Japan's Lost Wolves" at the Big Sky Film Festival. It was just a student film. :/ Eh.

I wouldn't think it would be completely impossible that there was wolf in those dogs. But the wolves went extinct 100 years ago.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

torriarno
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by torriarno » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:31 pm

It is reckond in some breeds that merle breeding may eventually be banned because of the health issues this country is now disallowing merle to merle...
The MEETING OF MINDS

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:21 pm

The Czechoslovakian vlcak and saarloos wolfhond weren't bred to look like wolves. Whilst some today may only breed for looks, unlike with the utonagan etc, they were originally created with a different purpose in mind.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:34 am

Yes, I know, but it's a "wolf dog list", either dogs bred to look like wolves, or bred to wolves. It's a little fuzzy, but breeds like Shikoku or Jämthund (the Swedish Elkhound) for example, don't qualify. ;)

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Rahne wrote:West-Siberian Laika:

Think they would have been a suitable candidate to add as an outcross for the Tamaskan if they didn't have that curly tail..
That second picture is not a West Siberian Laika.

I e-mailed the owner of this site:http://www.laikabreeds.com/content/
who lived in Russia originally and is pretty much an expert on all the laika breeds asking him about the photo and why it looked so different from the other West Siberian Laikas in his photo gallery and this was his response:
Ashley, thank you for asking. If this is a West SIberian Laika, it is not a
pure type of the breed. A major difference is in the tail. Laika should not
have too long hair on the tail. The coat color is within breed standard
range. I would like to see this dog standing or see it relative body size.
It could be a sleddog mix. Laika is medium size dog, smaller then sleddog
breeds and wolf/sleddog mixes.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:56 pm

caninesrock wrote: That second picture is not a West Siberian Laika.

who lived in Russia originally and is pretty much an expert on all the laika breeds asking him about the photo and why it looked so different from the other West Siberian Laikas in his photo gallery and this was his response:
Right... so this person, who has never met this dog, can judge on this photo that it's not a West Siberian Laika. :|
This dog is owned by a kennel in the Netherlands, his name is Borr-Tundra of Artic Sobaki.

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Rahne wrote:

Right... so this person, who has never met this dog, can judge on this photo that it's not a West Siberian Laika. :|
This dog is owned by a kennel in the Netherlands, his name is Borr-Tundra of Artic Sobaki.
I don't know about the Netherland laikas,but this guy grew up in Russia around all the laika breeds all his life and has wrote many books on them. He has owned and raised laikas in their native country of Russia. He said that he would need a better picture of the dog standing up to see. He didn't say that it wasn't a laika,just that it likely wasn't a purebred laika,not by the standards of what Russia considers purebred laikas anyway. If you can give me more pictures from this kennel or even a website for it, I'd be happy to e-mail him and see what he says from the other pictures as he said that he'd need more pictures,espeically of the dog standing up. I only asked because I have googled pictures of laikas and have literally not found one single other laika dog that looks as wolfy as the pictured dog nor that even has the same head, muzle, or ear shape as the above dog. Also,others on here have stated going to dog shows where they saw laikas that looked nothing like the pictured dog. It's possible that kennel might be lying about what they have and are in fact just breeding random sled dog mixes or wolfdogs.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:27 pm

caninesrock wrote:
Rahne wrote:

I don't know about the Netherland laikas,but this guy grew up in Russia around all the laika breeds all his life and has wrote many books on them. He has owned and raised laikas in their native country of Russia. He said that he would need a better picture of the dog standing up to see. He didn't say that it wasn't a laika,just that it likely wasn't a purebred laika,not by the standards of what Russia considers purebred laikas anyway. If you can give me more pictures from this kennel or even a website for it, I'd be happy to e-mail him and see what he says from the other pictures as he said that he'd need more pictures,espeically of the dog standing up. I only asked because I have googled pictures of laikas and have literally not found one single other laika dog that looks as wolfy as the pictured dog nor that even has the same head, muzle, or ear shape as the above dog. Also,others on here have stated going to dog shows where they saw laikas that looked nothing like the pictured dog. It's possible that kennel might be lying about what they have and are in fact just breeding random sled dog mixes or wolfdogs.
The dog has competed in FCI shows...
http://www.spineusart.be/westsiberische ... 96&lang=en

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:55 pm

Rahne wrote: The dog has competed in FCI shows...
http://www.spineusart.be/westsiberische ... 96&lang=en
As a West Siberian Laika?

The face doesn't look right compared to other West Siberian Laikas. :?

These are the West Siberian Laikas I've found that have the closest face to the pictured dog,but even then,it's not an exact match:

http://www.laikabreeds.com/graphics/wsl_2003-nayda.jpg

Right coloring,but the face has a slightly more foxy look to it than a wolfy look:

However,most of the pictured dogs have a really foxy looking face and narrow head with a narrow muzzle like here:

http://www.laikabreeds.com/graphics/wsl ... titaev.jpg

Pics from here:
http://www.laikabreeds.com/content/west ... ka-photos/

And even on here as well many of the dogs have more foxy looking heads:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/westsiberianlaika.htm

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:23 am

Cool dogs! The first few have very nice ears. I wish ours had nice small ears like that :)
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:25 am

To be fair, you didn't think this face looks the same either... Even tho it's a totally different shot, lighting, focus and there is more of the dog in one than the other... Not to mention the coat etc...

http://www.wolfpark.org/Images/wolfdogs/figure003.JPG
http://www.wolfpark.org/Images/wolfdogs/figure004.JPG

http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtop ... e5d65c0903

They are lovely looking dogs either way :P Future wish for Tamaskans to have those cute little ears :D

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:41 am

Welcome Back caninesrock, Haven't seen any post from you in a long time! :)

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:27 am

TerriHolt wrote:To be fair, you didn't think this face looks the same either... Even tho it's a totally different shot, lighting, focus and there is more of the dog in one than the other... Not to mention the coat etc...

http://www.wolfpark.org/Images/wolfdogs/figure003.JPG
http://www.wolfpark.org/Images/wolfdogs/figure004.JPG

http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtop ... e5d65c0903

They are lovely looking dogs either way :P Future wish for Tamaskans to have those cute little ears :D
That was a post I made a while back before I was better at reconizing dogs. Forgive me if I seem clueless or if you told me already before or not, but are you someone from Sybil's Den (since you found that topic)? Lol. XD
Welcome Back caninesrock, Haven't seen any post from you in a long time!
Thanks. ^^

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:41 am

I haven't been active for a good while, i'd totally forgotten about the site (can't even remember my exact user name or password come to think of it :oops: ) and i was there mostly for reference than posting, i just remembered you saying something very similar ;) after reading above (i got a mental jolt, it just took me a good while to remember where)... It seemed off that you would still say things like
caninesrock wrote:The face doesn't look right compared to other West Siberian Laikas.
since that last time was 2011...

Even the pictures you posted of ones you believe are West Siberian Laikas, there is a variation in the faces... Some are more narrow with less fur and some are more rounded due to more fur...

I think the kennel owner would appreciate an e-mail and ask them directly instead of asking another kennel who doesn't know the dogs from adam and asking them for an opinion based on some dodgy photos... You could even ask them why the dogs, in your eyes, look to be different or crosses of WSL's... Better than asking someone who doesn't know the dogs or the kennel IMHO.

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:24 pm

TerriHolt wrote:I haven't been active for a good while, i'd totally forgotten about the site (can't even remember my exact user name or password come to think of it :oops: ) and i was there mostly for reference than posting, i just remembered you saying something very similar ;) after reading above (i got a mental jolt, it just took me a good while to remember where)... It seemed off that you would still say things like
caninesrock wrote:The face doesn't look right compared to other West Siberian Laikas.
since that last time was 2011...

Even the pictures you posted of ones you believe are West Siberian Laikas, there is a variation in the faces... Some are more narrow with less fur and some are more rounded due to more fur...

I think the kennel owner would appreciate an e-mail and ask them directly instead of asking another kennel who doesn't know the dogs from adam and asking them for an opinion based on some dodgy photos... You could even ask them why the dogs, in your eyes, look to be different or crosses of WSL's... Better than asking someone who doesn't know the dogs or the kennel IMHO.
Oh. Ok. Um...What animals were you interested in there? If I know that, I might be able to help you find your username again. :lol:

Well,when I first asked the person, I didn't have a kennel name or name of the dog,just a photo. I got the kennel name and dog name after. Even after I got them though, I googled the kennel name and couldn't find any kind of website or contact info anywhere. And the links I did find to their website listed on other sites where all broken links to sites that no longer exsisted. I wonder if they are still breeding or if they stopped because I can't seem to find a site anywhere? :?

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:40 pm

caninesrock wrote:
Oh. Ok. Um...What animals were you interested in there? If I know that, I might be able to help you find your username again. :lol:
I was looking into honest csv breeders whilst looking into the Tamaskan (easy trainable, great recall and ability to be left alone wolfdogs without the wolf :roll: ) to compare the 2...

I can't remember if i made any posts or not, if i did, it will only be the odd one or 2 (if that). Like i said, it was for reference and research (i'm not a people person and will only communicate if i need to, not to mention i despise people owning HC or mid WD's and it's full of those... My opinion wouldn't have been welcome on that score)...
caninesrock wrote:
Well,when I first asked the person, I didn't have a kennel name or name of the dog,just a photo. I got the kennel name and dog name after. Even after I got them though, I googled the kennel name and couldn't find any kind of website or contact info anywhere. And the links I did find to their website listed on other sites where all broken links to sites that no longer exsisted. I wonder if they are still breeding or if they stopped because I can't seem to find a site anywhere? :?
Heh, yeah, i can see that been an issue... Sorry, i thought it as a current breeder you was asking about...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by caninesrock » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:09 pm

TerriHolt wrote:I was looking into honest csv breeders whilst looking into the Tamaskan (easy trainable, great recall and ability to be left alone wolfdogs without the wolf :roll: ) to compare the 2...

I can't remember if i made any posts or not, if i did, it will only be the odd one or 2 (if that). Like i said, it was for reference and research (i'm not a people person and will only communicate if i need to, not to mention i despise people owning HC or mid WD's and it's full of those... My opinion wouldn't have been welcome on that score)...
Nope. Sorry. Doesn't ring a bell. I guess you never posted. *shrugs*

And people there are pretty welcoming of different opinions. Right now,we have an active member that's completely against exotic ownership,but joined because she's going to get a fox as part of an educational program she's starting in Australia and wanted care tips and advice on taking care of foxes in captivity and while many people there don't agree with her logic(myself included), we are nice to her and respectful of her opinion, so I don't think you'd have to worry about your opinion making you unwelcome if you wanted to come back.

Heh, yeah, i can see that been an issue... Sorry, i thought it as a current breeder you was asking about..
It's ok. I was pratially in the wrong anyway as I should have asked for the dog and kennel name from the poster in the first place, instead of just assuming that it was an image they found on google or something and just assumed was a laika. Oops. :oops:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:20 pm

torriarno wrote:It is reckond in some breeds that merle breeding may eventually be banned because of the health issues this country is now disallowing merle to merle...
I can see why as first hand experience. Our lab x Australian shepherd mix is all blue merle with white tipped paws, a white tipped tail, and a white chest blaze. We just had him in to see the canine ophthalmologist yesterday and he has a fully detached and atrophied retina, and cataracts in both eyes. He's only 4 years old and probably had this problem since birth. :(
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Quote from the "Jack Daniels vom Muensterland"-thread.
Vroni wrote:Oh I forgot the cute "little" North American Indian Dog:
I got "wow" at this, because - I have only heard of this breed twice before. Someone on the internet saying he bought a puppy of this breed, and some pictures on Flickr of someone in Utah with one (very good-looking dog: but never any info anywhere else.

It is clearly a different breed, not an American Indian Dog (AID, which looks a bit like a Kelpie-cross) or a Native American Indian Dog. But if I google "North American Indian Dog" (with the quotation marks), I find basically nothing. No organization, no breeders, no info pages, nothing.

It must be a wolfdog breed (I mean, with higher wolf content than for example the Tamaskan) and seems so bloody rare so it's not a breed I'm interested in personally, but I have a thirst for knowledge so I'd like to know more if anyone can help me. :)

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:53 pm

Nimwey wrote:Quote from the "Jack Daniels vom Muensterland"-thread.
Vroni wrote:Oh I forgot the cute "little" North American Indian Dog:
I got "wow" at this, because - I have only heard of this breed twice before. Someone on the internet saying he bought a puppy of this breed, and some pictures on Flickr of someone in Utah with one (very good-looking dog: but never any info anywhere else.

It is clearly a different breed, not an American Indian Dog (AID, which looks a bit like a Kelpie-cross) or a Native American Indian Dog. But if I google "North American Indian Dog" (with the quotation marks), I find basically nothing. No organization, no breeders, no info pages, nothing.

It must be a wolfdog breed (I mean, with higher wolf content than for example the Tamaskan) and seems so bloody rare so it's not a breed I'm interested in personally, but I have a thirst for knowledge so I'd like to know more if anyone can help me. :)
Yes, the North American Indian dogs are most certainly a wolfdog breed. They are very selectively bred high content wolfdogs. This is the website of the breed founder - http://www.wcatcr.com/ (it's very out of date). He seems to have been quite successful in breeding high content, very wolfy looking dogs that have more of a "domestic" temperament than your average high content. Able to be housetrained and live indoors, travel in cars well, can be socialized to be around cats etc, can be offleash trained, etc. I think there is still quite a high instance of shyness in the NorthAIDs, but that will likely improve with time. I'm watching this breed type closely. As more time and more generations pass, they may be something I'd be interested in for the future.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:33 pm

The thing that 'worries' me about the North American Indian dog (and similar HC Wolfdog bloodlines) is... how inbred are they?