New Accidental Tamaskan Owner

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
Nomth
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

New Accidental Tamaskan Owner

Post by Nomth » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:11 am

Obligatory introductions, as I'm new to the forum. Our household has increased by one as we had an (accidental, unplanned) rescue-adoption of an at-risk Tamaskan dog about a week and a half ago. We have limited information on her, and have been in touch with a few people through the TDR, and are of the impression that she is NOT from a registered Tamaskan litter. Her origins are a bit of a mystery, but we're trying to track down the original owner (who may have died), as the family we rescued her from knew very little about her origins. Her vet records say "Tamaskan", she *looks* the part, and she has a probable DOB of early Jan. 2016.

We're interested in doing Tamaskan-specific DNA stuff to see if we can learn more about where she might come from through that method; Ben of White Elk Tamaskans spoke to me on the phone for about an hour, being awesome and helpful, and sending along helpful looks for the genetic stuff. (The first few nights of her being here were rather sleepless ones: she was terrorized and in very bad shape emotionally and behaviorally. She's leveled out, and sleeps under the bed now, getting along fantastically with our existing dogs.)

And that's about it, in terms of intros. We live in semi-rural New England and have two large livestock guardian dogs (who live indoors as companion animals) and now a yearling Tamaskan girl of mysterious origins.

Very much the newbie here, with very limited breed knowledge, breeder knowledge, community knowledge; we did not expect to spend our holiday rehabilitating a traumatized and terror-struck Tamaskan, but have zero regrets and are thrilled at her progress.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: New Accidental Tamaskan Owner

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:29 am

Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here and please feel free to share photos of your new Mystery Girl. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Nomth
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nomth » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Is this the appropriate place to post pictures of my Mystery Girl, or shall I go to a different part of the forums? Apologies, I've not used forums in over a decade and wanna make sure I don't mis-step in terms of local post protocol... and I'm still not far enough into my second coffee for decision making. Also: do images have to be hosted off-site for posting?

In terms of her history, as of yesterday I've confirmed (through Ben) that she is not from White Elk, and I also made contact with J&J through Facebook to see if they'd happened to produce a litter around that time (as they are associated with the region she originated in), but that was a dead-end as well. (J&J has moved from NY to VA, and hadn't produced a litter since 2014.)

I have no reason to think that she comes from RPK (whose reputation & crimes I am familiar with from my research) but I did (reluctantly) make contact there, and was told (in what was probably the most suspicious & dodgy conversation I've ever had about animals in my life) that she was not from any of their litters, nor did they have any former clients with the last name of her original owner. (They were unable to even tell me in any clear way if they'd *had* a litter of "Tamaskans" -- recognizing as I do that they're not producing legitimate Tamaskans, or anything else legitimate for that matter -- in or around January of last year. Puppy mill through and through, they didn't even have the ability to check litter date records, which is horrifying.)

Attempts have been made (by me and her microchipping company) to contact her first owner, as the family I rescued her from knew very little about her background.

My suspicion is that, wherever she came from, her original owner passed away -- I have found an obituary with a matched name, not *terribly* far off from the original customer's recorded address.

Regardless of her origins, she's a true gem, if a bit rough around the edges: her face is healing from near constant rubbing/abrasion (chewing on/through various metal confinement options, and fighting with a steel chain & cable) and she's warming up to the idea that she isn't about to be dumped & abandoned again, and might even be able to settle in and join the family.

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:04 pm

ooh Beautifull.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:24 am

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

If they were not able to match up her microchip number to any of the dogs in TDR records, nor match up her DNA to their database, then it is best to say that she is not a Tamaskan. With the breed still being new and still actively adding outcrosses, you'd be surprised how many mixed breeds do look, if not just like, but very similar to a Tamaskan dog.
Even though she may look the part, it does not make her one as it is the bloodlines that make a Tamaskan a Tamaskan. For this, to avoid confusion for anyone that asks about her, it is best to just call her a mixed breed, otherwise it will give others the impression that you can get a Tamaskan from a shelter (when this is not true) which can contribute to breed misrepresentation.

Do please share her photos in the Other Pets section :D We'd love to watch her progress and see her beautiful pictures!

JeffandLucy
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JeffandLucy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:42 am

Awwwww that's really wonderful that you were there for her!!! Thank you for sharing your story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff and Lucy :D