Hey there from Indiana!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
Paige
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hey there from Indiana!

Post by Paige » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey everyone! My name is Paige Perfect, and I'm a resident of northwestern Indiana.

I found this forum about a month ago, but this is my first post. I've mostly just been reading the other topics. I am very interested in the Tamaskan breed, for so many reasons! They're beautiful, for one thing, but they seem like great dogs for hikers & bikers. I'm also an avid skiier, despite living in one of of America's notoriously flat states. I've wanted to start bikejoring, dog scootering, or skijoring for a long time, and a Tamaskan seems like an awesome dog for those sports.

I also really love this breed because they are such a great alternative to wolf dogs. I'm not sure what the situation is elsewhere, but America seems to have a dangerous and sometimes reckless infatuation with wolf dogs. I feel like Tamaskans could help diminish the demand for wolf hybrids in the States. [Edit: Just to explain, I haven't got anything against wolf dogs. I have a good friend who owns one, and she couldn't be any sweeter. I'm not just a fan of irresponsible wolf hybrid ownership]

But most of all, whether it ends up being a Tamaskan or not, I really just want to have a dog in my life again. My best friend was Roxy, my family's beautiful Golden Retriever. I grew up on a farm, and Roxy was what my parents considered an outdoor farm dog. But since we typically spend more time in the barn than the house, she was undeniably a huge part of the family. She passed away in 2010 when I was away at college, and it was pretty hard on everyone. I think even the horses miss her.

While another dog could never replace Roxy, I just really miss having a dog in the family. I'm moving into my own house over the Christmas holiday, and it has a nice back yard with a high privacy fence. I'm renting the rooms in the basement out to a friend who owns a little rottweiler mix who is sweet as can be, and if I adopted a dog, I feel like they could become pretty good playmates.

Animals have always been a huge part of my life, and they always will be. I'm currently studying Tourism with a concentration in environmental conservation at Purdue University (Steve Erwin was basically my childhood hero, and to be completely honest I definitely got teary when I visited his zoo in Australia, haha). I'd love to go into the eco-tourism field to help educate vacationers about the preservation of wildlife and the ecosystems they live in while they're having fun (the field is the best classroom!). I'd love nothing more than to be a tour guide, and if my dog could tag along, that would be absolutely perfect.

On that note, does anyone have any experience with international travel with their dogs? My best friend is a dual citizen of the US and the UK, and she has two large dogs. She has told me that Kansas is the only place to get an international visa for her dogs. I feel like I've read somewhere that you can get a sort of dog passport for the EU...but I may be totally wrong. I ask because like I said, I'd like to be a tour guide, but if that job takes me abroad, I'd like to know how difficult it will be to get my dog to come along with me.

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited to join the forum, and hopefully sometime within the next couple of years I'll have a Tamaskan of my very own!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hey there from Indiana!

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Hello Paige, welcome to the forum :)

silvermagpie
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by silvermagpie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Hello Paige :)

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi Paige Welcome to our forum :D Anything you want to know on International Pet Travel just mail or pm me. I have flown dogs all over
the world, and have regularly travelled with my own gang throughout Europe on
Pets Passports.... email. arcticbreeds@yahoo.co.uk

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:26 pm

hi paige and welcome :P

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi welcome :D

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:41 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D
Paige wrote:On that note, does anyone have any experience with international travel with their dogs? My best friend is a dual citizen of the US and the UK, and she has two large dogs. She has told me that Kansas is the only place to get an international visa for her dogs. I feel like I've read somewhere that you can get a sort of dog passport for the EU...but I may be totally wrong. I ask because like I said, I'd like to be a tour guide, but if that job takes me abroad, I'd like to know how difficult it will be to get my dog to come along with me.
I've traveled throughout Europe with my 2 Tams (by car as well as by train) with EU Pet Passports. To have your adult dog travel with you by plane (in the passenger cabin) I think it would have to be specially trained (with official certification) as an assistance dog, otherwise it would have to go in the cargo hold (not too expensive if you are on the same flight but can be somewhat stressful for the dog).
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:37 am

Welcome to the forum :D
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

CSpiker86
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by CSpiker86 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 am

Welcome! :D

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:09 am

Welcome to the fourm :P

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:29 am

Glad you found us. Welcome to the forum.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:18 pm

welcome
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Welcome. Travel within Europe is now fairly easy, but not sure if you were wanting to fly between Europe and the States, you would have to check the regulations on that, but Blustag will be able to help you there.

Paige
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Paige » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:49 pm

JulieSmith wrote:Welcome. Travel within Europe is now fairly easy, but not sure if you were wanting to fly between Europe and the States, you would have to check the regulations on that, but Blustag will be able to help you there.
Yes, I would probably be doing the most international travel between the US and the UK. My best friend is moving there within the next few years (or possibly Spain), and she'll disown me if I don't manage to come visit her often :lol: She has two large dogs herself, so I'll be passing along any information to her as well.

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone!

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:36 pm

Welcome to the Forum!!!

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:52 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:27 am

Hi welcome. Incase your interested, Australia doesnt have pet passports. Once your dog leaves the country it's no longer an Australian "citizen" and then when it's coming back into the country you have to apply for it to come here and have it go through quarantine.
Image Image

Paige
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Paige » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:38 am

Kyliedelonge wrote:Hi welcome. Incase your interested, Australia doesnt have pet passports. Once your dog leaves the country it's no longer an Australian "citizen" and then when it's coming back into the country you have to apply for it to come here and have it go through quarantine.
I was wondering about Australia, actually, so thank you! I studied abroad there a year ago, and my sister wanted me to take her on a summer trip along the eastern coast as her graduation gift next year. So if I took a dog with us, it would have to be quarantined before we could begin our trip? Do you know long the quarantine is?

You know, I didn't think to observe how dog-friendly Australia generally was while I was there. I was mostly just focused on tourism systems, since I was there for a tourism program through my university. Culture was sort of secondary focus...I feel like I did see quite a few dogs sitting at their peoples' feet at restaurants in Cairns, though. Would you say Australia is dog-friendly enough to travel with one there?

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:52 am

Quarantine from America is a minimum of 30 days so it's probably not worth bringing your dog for s
Short trip. It's very expensive. There's over $300 For the application fee and 30 days will cost you (Australian)$1300. More if there are ant vet costs. Australian people are dog friendly, But there aren't that many places that will let you have your dog. (unless it's an assistance dog). You even have to go to a separate dog beach :p
Image Image

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:52 am

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like any dog will be lucky to be your dog, spending time hiking with his owner - what can be better?

When I visited the US this summer for a month, I intended to bring my dog along, but we decided after careful consideration that it's not worth the trouble. The flight is long and being in the cargo section could be very stressful experience. I also read several "when things go wrong" stories and decided not to risk it.

Paige
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Paige » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:Quarantine from America is a minimum of 30 days so it's probably not worth bringing your dog for s
Short trip. It's very expensive. There's over $300 For the application fee and 30 days will cost you (Australian)$1300. More if there are ant vet costs. Australian people are dog friendly, But there aren't that many places that will let you have your dog. (unless it's an assistance dog). You even have to go to a separate dog beach :p
Czertice wrote:Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like any dog will be lucky to be your dog, spending time hiking with his owner - what can be better?

When I visited the US this summer for a month, I intended to bring my dog along, but we decided after careful consideration that it's not worth the trouble. The flight is long and being in the cargo section could be very stressful experience. I also read several "when things go wrong" stories and decided not to risk it.

Ah, I see. I also just revived a response to my email to Blustag about international flights with dogs, and you're all right; it seems to be such a hassle and very expensive. I imagined it would be to an extent, but this is all a bit more discouraging. It's alright, though. International travel with my dog isn't imperative, just something I would have liked to do if it were a reasonable possibility, which it doesn't seem to be. Plus, like some of you have said, it would be pretty darn stressful for the dog. My poor pooch may never be a globe trotter, but hey; America has 50 states and 58 national parks, and I haven't seen all of 'em yet! I think his paws will get some pretty good mileage just here at home, along with my car...

Thanks everyone!

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:28 am

Hello and welcome :D
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:33 am

Paige wrote:
Czertice wrote:Welcome to the forum!
Ah, I see. I also just revived a response to my email to Blustag about international flights with dogs, and you're all right; it seems to be such a hassle and very expensive. I imagined it would be to an extent, but this is all a bit more discouraging. It's alright, though. International travel with my dog isn't imperative, just something I would have liked to do if it were a reasonable possibility, which it doesn't seem to be. Plus, like some of you have said, it would be pretty darn stressful for the dog. My poor pooch may never be a globe trotter, but hey; America has 50 states and 58 national parks, and I haven't seen all of 'em yet! I think his paws will get some pretty good mileage just here at home, along with my car...

Thanks everyone!
Exactly, from what I have seen, you can spend your whole life travelling and still there are more spectacular places to visit. I often wished Raksha could be there with me, she would have loved the wild nature...

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:29 am

Welcome :D

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:37 am

Hello! Glad to see you here, too!
I have a good friend who worked on an ecotourism cruise ship...sounds like it'd be right up your alley.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Paige
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Paige » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:08 am

Hawthorne wrote:Hello! Glad to see you here, too!
I have a good friend who worked on an ecotourism cruise ship...sounds like it'd be right up your alley.
That sounds awesome! Would you happen to know the name of the cruise company? I'd like to look into it if I could. I've always considered working on a cruise ship, but I've always had my sights set on the Disney Cruse line since I'm already a Disney employee. An ecotourism cruise sounds amazing, though.

Thanks again to everyone!

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Let me send a note to her and get back to you...
Okay: she worked for two companies that are now out of business: Alaska Sightseeing and Society Expeditions. She says to look into Zegram Expeditions and American Safari cruises.
Good luck!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Saxon
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Saxon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi Paige
the enviroment that you are in sounds absolutely ideal, so come hell or high water get yourself a tamaskan dog,.

Paige
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Paige » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 am

Hawthorne wrote:Let me send a note to her and get back to you...
Okay: she worked for two companies that are now out of business: Alaska Sightseeing and Society Expeditions. She says to look into Zegram Expeditions and American Safari cruises.
Good luck!
Thanks a ton! I'll look into them for sure.
Saxon wrote:Hi Paige
the enviroment that you are in sounds absolutely ideal, so come hell or high water get yourself a tamaskan dog,.
Thanks, I'm going to try :D

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:45 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Katurah