love to learn more

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
julie123
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

love to learn more

Post by julie123 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:54 pm

My name is Julie, I am from Wales in the UK. I first heard of the Tamaskan around 5 years ago and was very interested in what I read. I have had a life long interest from childhood in dogs and wolves particularly behaviour and dynamics in the wolf pack and how that translated to living with and training dogs. I began training my own dogs in obedience from the age of 11 with the help of books , at 18 I owned my first GSD which I had wanted since the age of 11, unfortunately my mother did not share my enthusiasm so I had to wait patiently until I was 18. I am now 48 with 4 grown up children and 2 grandchildren. Over that time we have owned another GSD, a mastiff, a Newfoundland and currently own a bloodhound who appears dim but is actually very clever ( he can open my fridge with his paw and clear the contents selectively), and a staffie who is fantastic with kids and other dogs, having been raised by a French Mastiff who was the most laid back character. We also owned a Newfoundland who we trained in life-saving or water work and had some fabulous times with the working section of the newfoundland club here attending their fun days and working events. There were some fantastic people we met along the way and we miss those times. I work as a nurse in palliative care and was also volunteering as a bereavement counsellor so the dogs and having some relaxing outlets are very important to me. I also own a pony who we have had since birth, and who is now 4 years old. My daughter owns an Alaskan Klee Kai who is the first arctic breed we have owned in the family and he has further inspired our interest , he is a delightful little dog, and nicknamed the little prince 'cos that just about sums him up. He is fantastic with the grandchildren and is one of the few small breeds I have found not to drive me insane with yapping.I am interested in becoming an owner of a Tamaskan in the future and want to learn more about the breed and what they are like to live with and as characters from other owners so would be greatful for any chatty information. The main aim would be family pet but I would like to look at obedience and agility or working groups as a hobby again. The main importance in any breed for me is it must be good with children and other dogs as we are not a one dog household.

Rahne

Re: love to learn more

Post by Rahne » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Welcome :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi and welcome :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:03 pm

Welcome Julie. You are very welcome to come over and meet all my dogs and have a chat. I would love to see pics of the Klee Kai.
I was interested in this breed myself some years ago with owning the Husky and Malamute :D

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:19 pm

A warm welcome from Scotland.
I think Tamaskan's make great working dog's. It all depends on personality and training, but they are an inteligant breed and try har to please. My bich is learning to pull a cart and I know Lynn dose sledge/scooter work with her dog's.
I am not familiar with Klee Kai, so I hope you dont mind me posting a ramdome photo off the web.
Cant wait to see some photo's.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Welcome to the forum. I was briefly interested in Klee kais myself before finding out about the tam. What put me off though was their size (I prefer large dogs) and their prey drive (can't have my kitty being hurt!)
Image Image

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Welcome to the forum :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Welcome :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:33 am

Welcome to the forum! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:45 am

Welcome aboard Julie. Sounds like you've already lived through the dog raising days
The Tamaskan is also a challenging breed but still an amazing one and you've come to the correct place to learn more about the breed ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:59 am

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 am

Welcome Julie! :D
Katurah

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Welcome Julie from Julie :D

Where about in Wales do you live? I live in Manchester so if you wanted to meet a Tamaskan you are welcome to contact me, I have Saga a Saxon pup.

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 pm

Welcome :D I have a 2 1/2 year old Tamaskan living here very happily with 3 other dogs and two very young children and she is wonderful with both lots :lol: . We live in Shrewsbury so if that is not too far you are most welcome to meet Sasha here and see how she is with my lot :lol:

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi welcome :D

julie123
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by julie123 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:20 am

thanks to everyone for their kind replies. you all seem like a friendly helpful group and i always feel that people reflect the characteristics of their breed x