Hello from a future owner

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
Dani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hello from a future owner

Post by Dani » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Danielle Kemper. I am 28 and live in Phoenix, Arizona with my husband, 2 cats and 2 horses.
I am very excited to be on the waiting list for a Tamaskan puppy. Who will become my working lifetime partner and companion, as a fully certified service dog. Once he/she (hopefully a he) finishes all his years of training through Lorenzo's dog training.

Due to a very unfortunate accident back in 2008, We have come to determine a assistance animal will greatly improve some of my lost mobility and the on going battle I have with fatigue & spinal spasms/tension.

I only recently tripped across the breed, About a month ago. When I was assigned to find taller working breed dogs that I liked. Since then I have read anything I can find and visited countless breeder websites, exhausting all levels of research and speaking with a few breeders/owners of the breed regarding what I planned to used it for. The nice part about going through a training company vs a organization is the wait time, the fact they can tailor train the dog to all my specific needs, and I can (mostly) select my own breed. I just got approved by the company to use a Tamaskan as my new partner and am very excited about this journey.

Before my accident, I was a very active person who literally grew up working with & showing horses and showing dogs in AKC. From there I turned into an all breed handler & dog trainer, working, showing, training & championing countless dogs. Mostly I specilized in Siberian Huskies (my original breed) but then handled German Shepherds as my main secondary breed in the shows. I've also shown many Alaskan Malamutes and UKC/ABRA Alaskan Klee Kai's to grand national levels. In 2000 I had my first home litter of Siberian Huskies, and bred dogs as a side hobby to the shows. (Mostly for new prospects to show.) In 2003/04 I became a professional dog groomer. (Today I supervise my own mobile dog grooming business. With my husband at the helm of all physical labor. -- I trained him too, lol.)

After many short but hard years from 97-08 of showing strong animals.. the few accidents and "collisions" caught up to me. When I was run over by a small motor vehicle that threw my occasional pains into full blown daily disabling spasms.. Lost my grooming jobs, lost my show dog clients and overall went into a downward spiral. I still continued my other hobby (costume making - although it's not easy to keep up with.) And now after 4 years, and seeing as I cannot have back injections (due to reoccurring infections.) Surgery is out of the question as well, We manage the pain with ongoing life physical therapy, pain meds and whatever else. After much research we determined a service/assistance dog would help counter some of my day to day struggles when the onset of spasms hits.

Soo, That is pretty much my story and who I am in the shortened version.
I hope to help show the world what a great breed the Tamaskan is through our day to day partnership travels and would love to continue public education with my future partner dog, in schools regarding wild canine preservation and the alternatives to owning a wild dog. By instead finding a great look a like breed like Tamaskans and Huskies.

Rahne

Re: Hello from a future owner

Post by Rahne » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Welcome :D
Are you getting a pup from Tarheel or Sierra?

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Welcome aboard the International Tamaskan forum

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi and welcome :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:37 am

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Dani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dani » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:17 am

Hi, Thank you so much for the warm welcomes. :)

I'm getting a pup from Sierra. -- I noticed another person on here might be getting one from from the same litter for service work also, I think that is just so neat.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:00 am

Hello and welcome to the forum :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

JenV
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenV » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:49 am

Welcome, Dani! My husband and I (given that Miss Leilah is pregnant) are in waiting for a Sierra pup too! I've been talking with a service dog school in Seattle that works with people to train their own Diabetes service dogs. I've had Type 1 Diabetes for over 20 years and with my husband being in the military I'm home alone quite a bit. We hope to start our new pup off on the series of Diabetes courses after we're finished with the basic puppy classes so that I can have someone to alert me when my blood glucose levels drop over night. It's awesome that there will be more than one of us using our Tam as a service pup from the same litter.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you better as we go through the process of becoming some of the new families who will welcome home a couple of Leilah and Darwin's pups in the new year. :D
“The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” ― Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:03 am

This is very exciting, congrats... I haven't met Leilah but I have met daddy to be Darwin and he has an outstanding temperament and I think his offspring will be good service dogs.

Dani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dani » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks again everyone. We are very excited, so with hope she is pregnant. I'm happy to hear the parents have such a good attitude to produce good prospective babies for service work. (I certainly did as much research on their personalities for this before hand, but it's always encouraging to hear this from others too.)

JenV: That sounds wonderful that you found a school near you! I'm just amazed that out of so many prospective homes out there, that two people would be on the waiting list from the same tam litter for service work. I look forward to keeping in contact with you and comparing our dogs progressions through their training. Maybe one day we could even meet up. :)
We have a train your own service dog organization here as well. They are called Happy Tails Service Dogs of Arizona, which we were originally going through. They are actually free, non profit if you qualify. However they won't start any training until 18 months (understandably since they focus on just the service tasks and not obedience.) So in searching for a really amazing training to ready our dog for then, we found the current company we're going through. Which is Lorenzo's Dog Training (the arizona division) with trainer Anton. They also train and certify (under the international service standards) The difference is that since I can't fully train everything because I'm limited mobility wise, they can step in and do much of that for me, Of course that makes things drastically expensive.. (the same as a organization dog cost.. *Dies*) But.. they were really great and opted to take payment plans that I can afford. (Unlike organizations! x_x ..it's enough to make your head spin searching for a company isn't it?!)

Well fingers crossed Leilah is carrying some wonderful babies. Hopefully we will get to meet some of the other waiting list homes and watch all the kids grow up.

JenV
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenV » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:13 am

Dani, that sounds great. We'll definitely keep in touch. I was hoping to get a pup professionally trained, but my insurance wasn't having it. It's a little expensive to go through the Service Dog Academy, but not anywhere near the $20,000 they want for a pretrained dog. I also find it interesting to think that I'll be working and bonding with my own dog instead of having someone just show up with one already trained. The coolest thing about it is the training will be tailored to the the smell I emit when I'm actually low. Since it can be different for every diabetic, it's pretty cool to know my pup can be specific for me and my own symptoms.

I It will be pretty awesome to be able to stay in touch with owners from the same litter. I really like the community aspect of this breed, as well. Let's keep those fingers crossed and positive vibes going for Leilah and Darwin to have some beautiful babies on the way for us! :)
“The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” ― Albert Einstein

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:38 pm

Welcom and good luck with your service dog training. I have talked to a local service organization who is interested in Tamaskans after meeting us at a dog fair. I think some of these dogs love to work and they definitely love to be with their people. Please keep up posted on your progress!!
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi welcome :D