Hello!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Hello!

Post by akaye531 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I will soon be parents to our first Tamaskan pup, and we could not be more excited! I would like to thank all of your for all of the information you've posted on the forum. You have all been an integral part of this process for us.

Looking forward to officially becoming a part of the Tamaskan community in December :)

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Re: Hello!

Post by TeresaC » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your upcoming puppy!!
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new puppy! :D

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Welcome :D

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks! I'm sure we'll be posting frequently with tons of questions. First question - how am I supposed to wait the 8 weeks until we can pick up our pup without going crazy?! :D

On a more serious note - what is the general consensus regarding feeding (raw v kibble)? I've seen mixed opinions. We feed our spaniel Blue Buffalo. Would their puppy formula be good for Tams?

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:03 am

akaye531 wrote:First question - how am I supposed to wait the 8 weeks until we can pick up our pup without going crazy?! :D
Start puppy shopping! Pick out what toys you want to get them, beds, collars, leads :P Oh, and refreshing up on training tips is always good too!
akaye531 wrote:On a more serious note - what is the general consensus regarding feeding (raw v kibble)? I've seen mixed opinions. We feed our spaniel Blue Buffalo. Would their puppy formula be good for Tams?
We started out Tamaskan on Blue Buffalo Sweet Potato & Fish recipe, did not bother with puppy formula. When he got to 18 months, we switched him to Blue Buffalo Wilderness (more protein), then earlier this year we switch both our dogs to Taste of the Wild.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:35 am

Who are you getting a puppy from?
My dogs get raw mostly. I've heard that pups grow up more gradually when raw feeding and have less of a chance at growing pains. If I would feed kibble I would probably go for Orijen or Taste of the Wild.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:11 am

Welcome to the forum! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:41 pm

We're going with a pup from Judy at Double J. We made this decision after reading about Jim and Judy's situation. We understand that our pup will not officially be a registered Tam because of Jethro's hips, but that is not important to us. I understand that her choice to continue using Jethro as a stud is a bit controversial (and I don't want to get too far into it...), but Judy was completely honest about his hips on the phone, and I do feel after speaking with her and reading the wealth of information on the forum and elsewhere on the internet that we are making a sound decision. It does look like there have been quite a few healthy pups with great temperaments from this pairing (Darwin, Paka, etc....is it weird that I feel like I know these dogs without ever having met them or their owners?!). Because we know hips may be an issue, we will be very careful as our pup grows so as not to make a potentially bad situation worse (carefully monitoring feeding, exercise, etc). Also, we plan on very closely watching his hips and doing what needs to be done to keep him healthy. Every dog needs a home, regardless of where s/he comes from, and we can provide our pup with a good home where he will be taken care of regardless of where he comes from or what lies ahead. With that said, having done so much research we would not have gone with a less favorable breeder/mill in the Tamaskan community. I do not see what Judy is doing as unethical, but I cannot say the same for RPK.

Anywho, thanks for the advice on feeding. Feeding is going to be especially important to us because of the potential hip issues, so we are trying to do our research to see what is our best avenue. In terms of kibble, it looks as though a lot of people go with Taste of the Wild. I'll have to look further into it. I've never fed raw before, so that remains a big mystery! I'll read up on that in the next 8 weeks...

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm not going to argue with you over where you are getting your pup from but:
akaye531 wrote:Every dog needs a home, regardless of where s/he comes from, and we can provide our pup with a good home where he will be taken care of regardless of where he comes from or what lies ahead.
People who buy from puppy mills think the same... puppies are already born and need a home. This is what keeps these breeders going, if no one would buy their pups then they would soon stop breeding. It isn't profitable to be 'stuck' with 8 adult Tamaskan ;)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi and welcome (i thought i'd already been here :oops: )...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:31 pm

I absolutely agree with you! Exactly why I wouldn't buy from a mill. I feel comfortable buying from Judy because in my opinion (and I understand that others may disagree!) her breeding practices are not unethical.

Regardless, I hope that I can use the forum in the future to share photos and updates about our pup, and to ask any questions we may have. :)

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi welcome :D

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 am

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

If you are interested in raw feeding I would recommend Tom Lonsdale's book "Works Wonders" http://www.rawmeatybones.com/book-ww.php. It is very easy to read and helpful.

Also there is a really good raw feeding forum on yahoo. It is based in the UK but has members from all over the world. The link is on this page (this site is useful too) http://www.ukrmb.co.uk/
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Hello there,
Congratulations on your upcoming new pup. I'm not going to get deep into the drama but I just want to say that I do understand the controversy about Double J but I would never go as far as to compare them with RPK.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Congrats on your new puppy! The wait is excruciating, isn't it?
There is some confusion about J&J Kennels right now. We do hope that they re-register with the TDR.
Regardless, that is not your issue. Welcome to the forum and I hope you find it useful.

We also feed grain free kibble. I would love to feed raw but my hubby is strictly against it. So is our vet. At some point in time, I would like to move away from kibble but we need a separate freezer first! :D For now, we feed Taste of the Wild.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks again for the welcome, and for the feeding recommendations. I'm definitely going to be reading up on raw feeding, but not sure if we can take that on quite yet. The forum has been my Tamaskan lifeline thus far. What a vast wealth of information! It's nice to have so much information so accessible and all in one spot.

Judy has been nothing short of wonderful thus far. Enjoying her weekly photo updates :) I will certainly be posting lots of photos here once we have our little guy at home! 7 more weeks...

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:25 am

Decided we're not going to try to tackle raw feeding to begin with, but instead feed Taste of the Wild. Those of you who feed TOTW, did you start off with the puppy formula, or just jump in with the adult? There are so many varieties - want to make sure I get the best for our little guy. :)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:29 am

I feed TotW High Prairie (as that is what have the best ingredients I think after looking at each of them very specifically), but I started out with first Orijen (did not do well with her stomach) and then Royal Canin Puppy Large Breed (which she got at the breeders, but I did not like that much and only used because I could not have her eating Orijen), I also tried Marcus Mühle (which I am not sure if you can get in the States as it is a german brand) which is made at low temperatures so it does not loose as many of the good things in the food, but she did not like it. As I said before, now I feed TotW as that is the best thing I could feed without having to sell my liver to Barf - which I really would like to do when I get a nicely paying job at some point..
>> Nino <<

wolfwoman
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by wolfwoman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:18 pm

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
http://www.vantaelsesluske.nl __ greetings Stefanie

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:06 am

Thanks! Went puppy shopping today. Not expecting the plush toy to last, but it was just so darn cute! Also made some purchases on Amazon. Only 2 weeks of waiting left :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.