Sastipe from Florida!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
OddFoxx
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Sastipe from Florida!

Post by OddFoxx » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Sastipe everyone! It's very nice to meet all of you and have a chance to do as much research on this beautiful breed as possible. Y'all may laugh at how far in advance I'm doing this; my current dog, a Belgian Shepherd named Sariel, is only a year and a half old and I'm already planning on a friend for when he's closer to 2 1/2 or 3. He's still pretty young and has more training to go before he's a certified therapy dog, and soon starting training in agility while working as a therapy dog. :3 I found the Tamaskan breed by accident since I wasn't actually looking for wolfish breeds; I was taking a test to find out what breed would suit Sariel as a companion that I could train up as a second therapy dog that wouldn't terrorize our cats as much (though Sariel knows the cats are in charge haha) The results came up with Utonagan, but after finding out there weren't any reuputable breeders in the US, that path moved to Tamaskan Dogs. Their history was fascinating, and the temperament sounds just perfect to balance out the household and clinic. I have a lot of experience with big dogs (shepherds, sled dogs, NAIDs, and a lot of wolves and wolfdogs), but a Tamaskan Dog sounds pretty ideal. Looking forward to learning more before contacting the right breeder to add to our family, especially now that I know which breeders to avoid <3
"Shade and Sweet Water to you!"

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Sastipe from Florida!

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I can tell you, from first-hand experience, Tamaskan and Belgian Shepherd is a good combination ;) And also, I think Tamaskans are ideal choice for therapy dog training. Good luck with your research.

OddFoxx
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by OddFoxx » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:33 pm

Hello to you both! I've still got a lot more research to go, but I think I'm pretty much sold on a Tamaskan being my second dog :3 And it's fabulous to know someone already has a Tamaskan and a Belgian living together. I'd love your input on how their personalities mesh and handling them both.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Hello and welcome!
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Wolfheart2112
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfheart2112 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Hello and welcome!! :D

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:12 am

OddFoxx wrote:Sastipe everyone! It's very nice to meet all of you and have a chance to do as much research on this beautiful breed as possible. Y'all may laugh at how far in advance I'm doing this; my current dog, a Belgian Shepherd named Sariel, is only a year and a half old and I'm already planning on a friend for when he's closer to 2 1/2 or 3. He's still pretty young and has more training to go before he's a certified therapy dog, and soon starting training in agility while working as a therapy dog. :3 I found the Tamaskan breed by accident since I wasn't actually looking for wolfish breeds; I was taking a test to find out what breed would suit Sariel as a companion that I could train up as a second therapy dog that wouldn't terrorize our cats as much (though Sariel knows the cats are in charge haha) The results came up with Utonagan, but after finding out there weren't any reuputable breeders in the US, that path moved to Tamaskan Dogs. Their history was fascinating, and the temperament sounds just perfect to balance out the household and clinic. I have a lot of experience with big dogs (shepherds, sled dogs, NAIDs, and a lot of wolves and wolfdogs), but a Tamaskan Dog sounds pretty ideal. Looking forward to learning more before contacting the right breeder to add to our family, especially now that I know which breeders to avoid <3

welcome and how exciting! Just to let you (or any other interested reader/party) know there are a good handful of future Ute and NI breeders in the US. They just aren't active in the tam community ;) if you really wanted there are also many NI and Ute breeders willing to ship here - you'd just have to submerse yourself into those communities, much like the tam breed. Good luck in finding your next fur baby! I know it can be so exciting :D

... I think the Dutch Club is considering Belgian Shepherd as a potential tamaskan out cross. If that ever happens I am intrigued and kind of excited for the results

OddFoxx
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by OddFoxx » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:34 pm

I was actually rather surprised there haven't been Belgie crosses already :p Usually on our walks most people are convinced my monster is a wolf or hybrid, including a gent who said he trained wild animals. The pups would be supercute for sure and you'd likely get some longer-haired ones from it. He sheds like there's no tomorrow; if I could spin wool into yarn I could have crocheted a spare dog by now XD And thanks again for the welcome, everyone <3 I'm really looking forward to finding the little sister meant for my boy :3

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.