A big hello from Scotland, UK!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
sylvia666
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

A big hello from Scotland, UK!

Post by sylvia666 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:25 pm

Hello all,

I just found this great site tonight and think I've been sitting reading here for the past 3 hours!

I live in the Scottish highlands with my husband and two of my children ages 4 and 2 years old and am just in love with these amazing dogs. Looking to find a reputable breeder in the Aberdeenshire area over the next year or so, but in no immediate rush as the kids are still very small (and we need to save up our pennies first!) and so meanwhile enjoying reading everything we can about Tamaskans in preparation.

Lots of places nearby to let a dog run free of a lead here but I am wondering what might happen when they meet deer as I stumble upon them everywhere here and what with the dogs prey instinct I've been reading up on here and the stags rutting season when they become aggressive I am thinking this is a bad combination?!

Nice to meet you all, very happy to be here :) Sylvia

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: A big hello from Scotland, UK!

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:19 am

Hello Sylvia, welcome to the forum!

sylvia666
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sylvia666 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:41 am

Thank you, your dog in the profile pic is so beautiful.

I've been reading a lot about puppy farming since my post earlier tonight and so decided to approach a breeder who lives miles away but is recommended on the Tamaskan dog register to ask about their waiting list rather than a person I found locally in Aberdeenshire advertised on pets4you I think it was who I cant seem to find any information or history on...would rather be a 100% sure of the breeder and the dog we would be getting. Very excited and getting carried away although it is a while away yet until we can give a dog a home with us!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:39 am

Thank you, that is my boy Ulric snuggling my girl Zelda.
Always listen to your gut and never ignore any red flags if you start getting bad vibes about a breeder. I found it important that you are able to develope a relationship with your breeder of your choosing as they will be there for future advice for you.

Don't forget that other breeders are always willing to import.
Another site you might be interested in is http://www.tamaskansagainstpuppymills.com There they list other reputable breeders, tell differences between a responsible breeder and a puppy mill/ backyard breeder, and who best to avoid.

Enjoy your research! Also a warning ;) these dogs are addicting.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:29 am

I can confirm that these dogs are, indeed, addicting lol :roll: :lol:

Welcome to the forum :D
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN @ Polarose

sylvia666
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sylvia666 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks for the link, that's the site I had been reading last night which put me right off ever getting any kind of pet from a place like pets4you and without finding out some breeder background first. The breeder I had emailed last night is http://www.starlight-tamaskan.co.uk/ and seems to be reputable? Any advice here is greatly appreciated from anyone. I would need to ask some more questions as I'm still learning about Tamaskans, but the parents look like a shorter haired red coat? Can I ask what kind your two are? Yes good point about importing, I am maybe rushing my quest for a good breeder too much and take more time too look. I think I am more drawn to the the grey coats perhaps, my husband the black...but they are all so very beautiful and would be more than happy with any! Is it not very expensive to import though? How do the puppies handle being transported do you think? I guess as well the main drawback for me would be I wouldn't be able to see the puppy in real life first. I would want to pick one that didn't seem too shy and nervous for being around children. I'm sorry, millions of questions from me!

Hi Kaitlin, thanks for the welcome ...wow, your dog is gorgeous too, she a black coat? Very wolf like. I love that her/his fur is longer, do they shed much? I think I read they are not too bad compared to other breeds. Yeah lol...afraid it's too late already, I am well and truly addicted now and I've never even met one nevermind owned one! But I think when you know then you know. I've spent a long time looking at all the various dog breeds and have came across Tamaskans last. Right away I was like that's it, that's the dog for us! Search over :D

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Starlight Tamaskan is registered with the TDR and currently has a litter of pups still available.
http://www.tamaskan-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4901
http://www.tamaskan-dog.org/breeding/pups-for-sale.php

The coats vary on Tamaskans. I've noticed that males seem to have longer coats than females, along with fuller manes and tails. My boy Ulric comes from Alba Tamaskans (retired) whom I imported from Scotland, a little nervous at first when I picked him up at the airport, but settled in just fine once we got home. He, like Kaitlin's Wylie, has a longer coat, and on his papers is registered as a "wolf grey" even though he is more brown in colour and probably fits more in the "red grey" category. My girl Zelda is from Tarheel Tamaskans in North Carolina, US. I drove across the states to get her and was able to meet with her breeder and parents, probably cheaper than having her flown to me. Her coat is shorter than I like, and she fits the "wolf grey" colour category.
The breeder you choose to go to, should be able to pick out which puppy suits you best knowing their personality and after getting to know you. At first I thought I liked the "wolf grey" colour best, but now I'm drawn to all the colours.

sylvia666
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sylvia666 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks so much for all the helpful info and link....those puppies are unreal, wish I could have one now!! You have a scottish dog then, that's cool :) For me, I think with the darker brown/red colouring they look more alike to German shepherd than wolf so to speak, but perhaps not in real life if I saw one. It's difficult from photos. They do all have a very long nose though, very different to other dogs. They are all so beautiful and I would feel lucky to own one, so much so I feel a bit bad about favouriting colours! I just read a lovely reply email from the breeder and have asked some more questions and will take it from there. I am feeling good vibes about this though. Thanks again

sylvia666
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sylvia666 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Ah I just read through posts on here and it seems when I think of a wolf I am picturing the north american grey wolf in my head, when in fact there are many different kinds and some are red/brown. Sorry! Duh! :?

Wolfheart2112
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfheart2112 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:54 pm

Welcome to the forum!!! Hope you learn lots from the amazing people here :D

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:18 pm

sylvia666 wrote:Hi Kaitlin, thanks for the welcome ...wow, your dog is gorgeous too, she a black coat? Very wolf like. I love that her/his fur is longer, do they shed much? I think I read they are not too bad compared to other breeds. Yeah lol...afraid it's too late already, I am well and truly addicted now and I've never even met one nevermind owned one! But I think when you know then you know. I've spent a long time looking at all the various dog breeds and have came across Tamaskans last. Right away I was like that's it, that's the dog for us! Search over :D
His name is Wylie, he's actually considered Red-grey since he was a very red puppy. Although now he looks like a much lighter version of a Wolf-grey. Hehehe oh yes they shed. They are arctic breeds so they shed like huskies / shepherds. I find it manageable....but it helps that I'm a pet groomer lol. They are wonderful dogs, a good breed to get addicted to ;)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

sylvia666
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sylvia666 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:00 pm