Hey guys! Greetings from MD!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
AnaMD
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hey guys! Greetings from MD!

Post by AnaMD » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Hello everyone, I'm Ana from Maryland! I have two wonderful Tamaskan pups, J&J Randy Travis (Emrys) and J&J Tammy Wynette (Ember). They were born on mother's day of this year in Alba Sverical at J&J (Ruby) and J&J Night Owl (Jethro)'s final litter. Originally I had just gotten Emrys, but after having him for a few weeks we decided we'd like to get a second as a companion for him. They are the most perfect pups, well as perfect as a puppy can be... I adore them!

I happened across the Tamaskan breed about a year and a half ago and after I looked into them I just fell in love and knew I had to have one. Another thing I love is how close knit the community is! While I have experience with dogs, this is my first time with puppies and my first of this specific breed. I've got a handle on things and I've made sure to be well informed so that they're given the best lives possible, and I will more than likely be turning to you guys for a bit of help. It's much appreciated!

Attached are two pictures of them. Emrys is the smaller one and his sister Ember is the larger.

I'd love to post pictures of them as my avatar and signature but all of my pics are too large, does anyone know how to re-size them from a mac? If you have an instagram then feel free to find mine for pictures of them! anaabanananaa

I look forward to talking to you guys and hopefully some of our pups can meet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hey guys! Greetings from MD!

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:05 am

Hello and Welcome Anna,

I live in Frederick. Where are you?

My boy, Max (Hellroaring Canyon), is 2 1/2 yrs. He is out of the Hawthorne Yellowstone litter (Freyja (Tarheel Okracoke Treasure at Hawthorne) and Dylan (Sugalba Pigs Might Fly at Moondance).

Another Hawthorne Tam lives in Montgomery County. Kona (James Watson) is also out of Freyja a year later. He and Max spend alot of time together.

Would love to meet you and your beauties. :P i

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:42 am

Hi Ana, welcome to the forum!! :D
How is Emrys's car sickness doing?

AnaMD
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AnaMD » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:23 am

Eventide wrote:Hello and Welcome Anna,

I live in Frederick. Where are you?

My boy, Max (Hellroaring Canyon), is 2 1/2 yrs. He is out of the Hawthorne Yellowstone litter (Freyja (Tarheel Okracoke Treasure at Hawthorne) and Dylan (Sugalba Pigs Might Fly at Moondance).

Another Hawthorne Tam lives in Montgomery County. Kona (James Watson) is also out of Freyja a year later. He and Max spend alot of time together.

Would love to meet you and your beauties. :P i
I'm in Montgomery County! About 30min away from Frederick, I'd love to meet you guys!
Sylvaen wrote:Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks! (:
HiTenshi16 wrote:Hi Ana, welcome to the forum!! :D
How is Emrys's car sickness doing?
Hi! He's doing great! It's gone! Ember drools like crazy though so now we need to work with her.

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:02 am

That would be great Ana. You can email me at dottiebrown4@hotmail.com and maybe we can set something up for this weekend.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:04 pm

AnaMD wrote:
Eventide wrote:I live in Frederick. Where are you?

I'm in Montgomery County! About 30min away from Frederick, I'd love to meet you guys!
Ooh cool, one of the pups from our previous litter lives nearby too...
Idgie (Sylvaen Ninja Star) lives in Braddock Heights. :)

http://goo.gl/maps/5Ubtw

AnaMD
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AnaMD » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:32 am

Sylvaen wrote:
AnaMD wrote:
Eventide wrote:I live in Frederick. Where are you?

Ooh cool, one of the pups from our previous litter lives nearby too...
Idgie (Sylvaen Ninja Star) lives in Braddock Heights. :)

http://goo.gl/maps/5Ubtw
Oh wow! Could you send them my info and let them know that I'd love to have our tams meet up if they're interested? My e-mail is anaa.betancourt13@gmail.com

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:10 am

We live in the Green Valley/Monrovia area south of the city within a few miles of Damascus. Mark, who owns Kona lives in Mintgomery Village. Where in Montgomery county are you?

Max is a stud dog so is not neutered. Although he gets along very well with puppies, he may be a bit aggressive around other adult intact males, as many are. Is Idgie a female? Max loves the ladies! Funny how, even if they're spayed, he still knows the ladies!! :roll:

I'll share your info with Mark and please share mine with Idgie's family.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:40 pm

AnaMD wrote:Oh wow! Could you send them my info and let them know that I'd love to have our tams meet up if they're interested? My e-mail is anaa.betancourt13@gmail.com
Sure thing :)
Eventide wrote:Is Idgie a female? Max loves the ladies! Funny how, even if they're spayed, he still knows the ladies!! :roll:

I'll share your info with Mark and please share mine with Idgie's family.
Done! Idgie is a 5 month old female pup. ;)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Hello and welcome! Congrats on your new family members :D

We have Darwin, who is also out of Ruby and Jethro but from a litter in 2010. Darwin is a whopping 92 pounds now so practice loose leash walking while you can! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

AnaMD
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AnaMD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:33 am

Hawthorne wrote:Hello and welcome! Congrats on your new family members :D

We have Darwin, who is also out of Ruby and Jethro but from a litter in 2010. Darwin is a whopping 92 pounds now so practice loose leash walking while you can! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes! He's gorgeous! My boy is still under 20 pounds last time we weighed him and he's 15 weeks. His sister weighed in at 26 last week. I'm a bit worried about him growing so slowly, is this typical? I'd like to stud him but I'm unsure if nature is going to agree with that. Regardless, he's my perfect little pup and I'll love him either way. How big was Darwin when you adopted him at 6mo?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:25 am

AnaMD wrote:Yes! He's gorgeous! My boy is still under 20 pounds last time we weighed him and he's 15 weeks. His sister weighed in at 26 last week. I'm a bit worried about him growing so slowly, is this typical? I'd like to stud him but I'm unsure if nature is going to agree with that. Regardless, he's my perfect little pup and I'll love him either way.
It is a little bit unusual that one sibling (especially a male) is half the size of the other... it isn't uncommon for pups to vary in size quite a bit at birth, but by the time they go to their new homes the pups are normally all roughly the same size and weight, with only minor variations; not such a big difference in size. Has your breeder provided you with a weight chart so you can compare growth rate of the siblings over the first 8 weeks? Hopefully it isn't due to an underlying medical condition. I don't want to alarm you as there have not (yet) been any cases of canine pituitary dwarfism (CPD) within the breed, but it does exist in some of the breeds that make up the Tamaskan (including German Shepherd, Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, and Saarloos Wolfdog). Some breeders in Europe have DNA tested their Tams for CPD and all have come back as 'clear' (no carriers yet identified) but that doesn't mean to say that other untested bloodlines are also clear. I don't think your breeder has DNA tested her dogs for CPD, so maybe this is something you might consider (to test him for CPD) just to put your mind at ease. Hopefully he's just a late bloomer and will catch up in due time.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Darwin was 50 pounds at 5 months when we brought him home. He was a chunky little thing. LOL

Talk to Judy--I think I remember her saying that Ruby was quite small to begin with; as was typical of many of Liz's pups (according to Judy).
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jamille » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:39 pm

Welcome! Your dogs are gorgeous, and to be honest Emrys was actually a name I had chosen out for a future tam pup :)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Weird, that is quite small. Wylie was 19 pounds at 8 weeks and quickly gained weight...maybe see what the vet has to say about it.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN @ Polarose

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:43 am

We have Kumho, who is another brother to your guys from a previous Ruby and Jethro litter. I believe at around 8 weeks he weighed about 12 lbs. He was taken to the vet by the lady that picked him up, but returned him after about a week after realizing how much work a puppy was. :lol: So he became ours. Compared to his three other male siblings that we saw when we picked him up, you could definitely see he was smaller. He's definitely not a dwarf but he's never gotten above 70 lbs. I think he took after the Alba influence if those lines tended to run on the small side. It's possible Emrys may be following in the same footsteps.

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Congrats on your new additions! We have Mowgli (J&J Sitting Bull), a Ruby x Jethro pup out of the October 2012 litter. Mowgli was the smallest boy in the litter. I think I tracked his growth a bit as a pup in the Puppy Growth thread. He seemed to be growing quickly for a while, but almost completely stopped growing around 70 lbs and 8 months. Still waiting for this runt to fill out at almost 2 years!! Enjoy them, and post lots of pictures :)

AnaMD
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AnaMD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:22 pm

Okay please excuse the long post but I wanted to make sure I got everyone!

Sylvaen: I'll definitely look into that if he still progresses slowly, he weighed in today at 21 pounds though, now only 6 pounds behind his sister, yay! I think for now I don't need to worry as much. Thank you for that information though! I did not know that could be a possibility.

Hawthorne:[Sent her an e-mail just waiting for a reply. I'm not positive but I believe he was the runt of the litter, or at least one of the smaller pups. I asked her if she knew how the other males in his litter were developing

Jamille:Thank you! And oh my goodness really? No one else has heard of the name! I adore it. Got it from Merlin. :P

Katlin: The vet is keeping an eye on him with me, he's up to 21 pounds at 16 weeks.

Ryphen: Oh phew! Someone else from the same line that can relate! Him being 70lbs isn't a worry as long as he grows up healthy and happy. Is Kumho intact or was he neutered? Another thing we're keeping an eye on is that Emrys hasn't dropped on both sides yet, just one testicle. Where are you located?

Akaye531: Thank you! I adore them! Okay so it seems he'll most likely end up at around 70lbs. I'll have to check out that thread! I will try and post pictures but the forum size limits aren't letting me. :(

AnaMD
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AnaMD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Emrys (left) and Ember (right) yesterday at the park resting in the shade after a nice walk. They LOVED exploring, I think I found their new favorite place to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:50 am

Aww, I can remember when Kumho was that small. Feels like forever ago. He was neutered when he was about a year and a half old. We're up near Albany, NY.

AnaMD
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AnaMD » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:06 am

Ryphen wrote:Aww, I can remember when Kumho was that small. Feels like forever ago. He was neutered when he was about a year and a half old. We're up near Albany, NY.
I love them tiny but I also can't wait for them to be full grown. lol. If I'm up in NY I will definitely need to bring my pups to meet their brother! He is GORGEOUS by the way.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:04 am

Ana

There's another Montgomery County Tam, Hawthorne James Watson (alias Kona < Lakota "Friend")

Feel free to reply here and if you want I can PM you -

We'd love to meet up - this brings our local population to 5! (It's raining Tamaskans here) -

Love to your two

Mark
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jamille » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:29 pm

AnaMD wrote:Jamille:Thank you! And oh my goodness really? No one else has heard of the name! I adore it. Got it from Merlin. :P
Yes, I love Merlin! I figured it was a rare enough name for such a dog, but I guess not :P You beat me to it, haha :D

AnaMD
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AnaMD » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:21 am

Jamille wrote:
AnaMD wrote:Jamille:Thank you! And oh my goodness really? No one else has heard of the name! I adore it. Got it from Merlin. :P
Yes, I love Merlin! I figured it was a rare enough name for such a dog, but I guess not :P You beat me to it, haha :D
Sorry! Heads up if I end up breeding Ember I'm thinking of a Merlin themed litter. Grab the names while you can! :P