Hello from TX, USA!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
highthrilldogs
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hello from TX, USA!

Post by highthrilldogs » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Kristen and I think I may have accidentally acquired a Tamaskan :shock:

Rewind to mid-July, wherein I took an impromptu road trip to Colorado. Stayed with a friend in Colorado Springs, and at some point she offhandedly mentioned that her friend had a 7 month old timber wolf in her apartment that she couldn't keep because too many people were asking questions. The pup's story was this: she was stolen from the Denver Wolf Preserve at a young age by the rogue veterinarian that delivered the pups, but when the veterinarian's wife found out the pup was a wolf, she told him to get rid of it, and he gave her to my friend's friend.

...yeah.

And that would all be fine and dandy except that, to my knowledge, the Denver Wolf Preserve doesn't exist and the animal doesn't seem to have any wolf-content in her at all. Or a very small amount, if she does. But anyway.

So, lots of red flags there, including the fact that the gal who owned the pup mentioned that her Yorkie can survive on a diet of macaroni and cheese. So I was all, yes, lol, please let me take this dog home with me. We've got 5 acres and a zillion dogs anyway, why the heck not.

Without further ado, here's Lyra, the 100% DNA Tested Organic Timber Wolf No Pesticides Added/Non-GMO/Etc

She's a looker, that's for sure, and a sweetheart. Really just a giant teddybear. I had just assumed that she was a generic husky mix, maybe some Malamute given her size (shes's 8 months and about 70lbs), but then someone mentioned the Tamaskan. She looks a lot like one to my untrained eye. Did a quick google search and, lo and behold, there are at least 2 Tamaskan breeders in the Colo Springs area. Possible she came from one? I don't know, maybe her original owners bought her and suddenly had to get rid of her, so they told people she was a wolf to up the appeal?

I don't know anything. Just wanted to pop in and run the idea by you guys. Hope you don't mind! Thanks for reading.

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Hello from TX, USA!

Post by Tana » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi and welcome! :)

Wow, Lyra really looks amazing! :shock:

highthrilldogs
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by highthrilldogs » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:09 pm

@Tana, thank you! She looks quite serious and dignified in those photos - she's actually a profoundly goofy girl :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Lovely girl, but I'm positive she is not a Tamaskan, she really looks to me like a shepherd x husky mix. There was once a breeder in CO called Takari, but to my knowledge they are not breeding or have had a litter for a year or 2 now, there are no other Tamaskan breeders (or future breeders to my knowledge) in CO.

Because the breed is still new and growing, the only way you will come about getting a Tamaskan is through a breeder. If anything is found in a pound or shelter that looks like a Tamaskan, it usually is not but just a mixed breed (if claimed to be a Tamaskan, usually still not but a mix breed that was bred from a puppy mill who falsy advertises their dogs http://www.tamaskansagainstpuppymills.com )

What part of north Texas are you in? We are just north of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area :)

highthrilldogs
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by highthrilldogs » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:03 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum!
Lovely girl, but I'm positive she is not a Tamaskan, she really looks to me like a shepherd x husky mix. There was once a breeder in CO called Takari, but to my knowledge they are not breeding or have had a litter for a year or 2 now, there are no other Tamaskan breeders (or future breeders to my knowledge) in CO.

Because the breed is still new and growing, the only way you will come about getting a Tamaskan is through a breeder. If anything is found in a pound or shelter that looks like a Tamaskan, it usually is not but just a mixed breed (if claimed to be a Tamaskan, usually still not but a mix breed that was bred from a puppy mill who falsy advertises their dogs http://www.tamaskansagainstpuppymills.com )

What part of north Texas are you in? We are just north of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area :)
Thanks for your reply! We will go back to generic husky mix then ;) I was in error when I wrote that I found 2 CO breeders - one of them turned out to be in NC, just had a page that came up saying something to the effect of "if you run across a Tamaskan in Colorado, it's probably from us" etc. Probably just a metadata issue.

We're in Decatur :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:00 am

highthrilldogs wrote:I was in error when I wrote that I found 2 CO breeders - one of them turned out to be in NC, just had a page that came up saying something to the effect of "if you run across a Tamaskan in Colorado, it's probably from us" etc. Probably just a metadata issue.
Ah, that one that is actually located in NC is the notorious puppy mill that falsely advertises their dogs, always bragging about the quantity of pups sold rather than quality :( If you ever do consider adopting a Tamaskan in the future, I highly recommend to stay away from them (especially since they don't even sell Tamaskan Dogs).
highthrilldogs wrote:We're in Decatur :)
So you're about an hour and half east of us. There is a group we are apart of called DOGSDFW (Dogs Out Getting Social Dallas Fort Worth), we travel around the metroplex and visit dog parks together and other parks to go on pack walks :) If you don't mind driving around, it's very fun to join!