Good morning!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
faimex
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Good morning!

Post by faimex » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi! I've been a lurker for awhile now and I thought I'd finally make an account :) My bf and I have always loved wolves and we fell in love when we saw the Tamaskan breed. We currently own a cat and a 3 year old Shiba inu.

I hope to be able to get onto a waiting list in the future ~ I'm not really sure how to go about of choosing a breeder. Importing - yes or no? Pro's/con's? Pricing for importing? (I know the ideal cost is double the puppy expense) But an estimate would be great :)

(My boyfriend and I live in Minnesota btw)

Thank you all in advance : ) This is the most organized forum I've ever been on!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Good morning!

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!! :D
A good site to read up on when choosing a breeder is http://www.tamaskansagainstpuppymills.com They list what to look for in a reputable breeder compared to what you would find of a backyard breeder or puppy mill, have a list of Tamaskan breeders from around the world, and a list of who best to avoid and why.

When trying to figure out which breeder is best for you, look at the dogs they have, contact them and ask about their lines, any potential health issues, maybe what the grandparents looked like, as many questions as possible. Every responsible breeder will have no problem answering all this, actually most are very happy to.

For pricing, to give an example, my first Tamaskan I adopted as a pet only I had imported from Scotland (I live in Texas), with the exchange rate and flight costs, he was a little more than $3,000.00. My second Tamaskan whom I adopted as a potential breeding dog, I adopted from Tarheel in North Carolina, including gas costs she was about $2,300.00 (the drive was so worth it!). I was able to meet her breeder in person which is a great benefit, where as my first I was unable to meet his breeder in person since she is overseas. Some people are able to fly and meet their breeder before adopting their puppy.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)
From our previous litter we exported 6 pups to the US and they traveled in pairs (2 to a crate) so that the journey was less stressful for the pups, and the new owners could split / share the transport costs; in total (puppy + transport costs) the new owners each paid just under 2000 euros ($2500)... so only slightly more expensive than buying one from a breeder in the US (if you have to drive to collect the pup, or have it shipped to your state). ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

faimex
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by faimex » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks for replying! :) I think I've fallen in love with all your dogs Sylvaen <3

And I do have a couple more questions (oh gosh, I feel like I'm being annoying). With my current living situation - we don't have a fence (currenty own a townhome), I've noticed many of you have fences....is that a requirement for owning a Tamaskan? Will I not be eligible for anyone's waitlist because of that? My boyfriend has owned an Alaskan Malamute while in a townhome and he grew up beautifully. (His ex currently has him though ;/) With our Shiba we take him on daily walks and actively go to the dog parks - we also try to take him to doggy day care once in awhile to give him a break from us :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Having a fenced yard does make life easier but, for me, it's not a requirement - it all depends on your living situation / lifestyle. For instance, if a Tamaskan sleeps in the house, then gets taken out (on leash) for a walk in the morning, then travels by car to the owner's workplace, then has some off-leash playtime in a fenced dog-park during the afternoon, and then goes back home in the evening... a fenced backyard doesn't really fit into this equation and, in many ways, such a lifestyle is more enriching and fulfilling (both physically and psychologically) than a life spent confined (for the most part) to a fenced backyard. ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:19 pm

We don't have a fence either, though slowly have been trying to save up for one. We have 3 dogs altogether (1 mixed breed, 2 Tamaskan) and take them outside on the leash for potty breaks, regular walks in the early mornings, and they get regular dog park visits. Not having a fenced yard should not be a problem.

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:38 pm

we don't have a fence either, our tam stays in the yard anyway though not every tam would but not having a fenced yard shouldn't be a problem

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Hello and welcome.

We do have a fenced yard, but he really only wants to be in it if he has to potty or my family brings their dogs over to play!! Even when I go out to play with him, he gets bored quickly :? .

He much more prefers dog parks and walks (where he can take an hour to walk a mile because he sniffs every blade of grass, every tree, every bush. . . :roll: ). I try not to go to the dog parks too often though, as intact male dogs tend to be aggressive toward one another. If I see an intact male in the fenced area, we just take a long walk instead.

Otherwise, he loves everybody (loves little people and little dogs the most), lives with two cats, and is generally just a big loveable goof!!

These dogs are more like an addiction you never want to end!! ;)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Another good resource is the TDR website http://www.tamaskan-dog.org. For all registered and reputable breeders in the US, at least, they are all listed there. If you are interested in importing then most breeders are listed there with the exception of Germany and the Netherlands. Those folks have their own websites and registries.

I do highly encourage a 6' fence but it is not mandatory. I would just not expect your Tamaskan to stay put in the yard without you there holding a leash. I do forbid tie outs for ethical reasons. Plus I just don't think they'd work for a Tamaskan! My male has bent posts on camping trips so it wouldn't take much effort for these dogs to get away.

As for a town home, I am also careful about those. It depends on your lifestyle. These dogs do howl so proper training is a must to prevent SA or your neighbors won't be happy. :D
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:53 am

Hello and Welcome

I'd like to echo the comments above and add a small bit - I have a townhouse with a tiny fenced yard, but we do back onto a lot of parkland. If you're prepared to walk them a couple of hours a day and to provide other play areas/activities, you can still have a healthy and happy dog.

I' wish you well in your search, and can say that being owned by a Tamaskan (your heart will never be quite the same) is truly a life-affirming experience. They really are not quite like any other breed I've owned.

Mark

(Kona's [Hawthorne James Watson's] human)
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Yeah I have a 6 foot fence with three foot gates and I like it, but my dogs are rarely left in the yard. I bikejor with Wylie so he gets tons of exercise :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN @ Polarose

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:11 am

We live in a town home and no fenced in yard (just a roof terrace that the dogs potter about on when we are there of course). Like Tracy said, some Tams suffer from SA and howl. Our first one suffered from it but although she never howled, she would bark a lot but this was in our old place before we moved to the current townhouse. Due to her separation anxiety the first one had to be crated when we were out until she was 14months old. They get 4-6 walks a day and time at the off leash park so having no fenced in yard for us is fine. Both neighbours said they haven't heard anything when I asked but ours are quiet during the day. They also have dogs and I've not heard any of the dogs (or anything in fact even their baby) so it might just be that the walls are fairly soundproof!