Hi from the mountains of Virginia!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
Jesykasflowers
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hi from the mountains of Virginia!

Post by Jesykasflowers » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:51 am

Hi! I am brand new to this forum- I actually have been trying to get on here for a while but my account kept goofing up. But alas, here I am enjoying all of the pictures of beautiful tams!
My plan is to own one sometime next year, litters (and my picky-ness!) permitting. So I am here to learn more and see what all is going on in the world of tam owners. And hopefully I will be an experienced owner soon, too. ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hi from the mountains of Virginia!

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Hello and welcome :D
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:31 am

Welcome and well met

May you be as blessed with a Tamaskan as I have been. They are unique, wonderful, and wholly miraculous dogs

Mark

The human owned by Jr.Ch.(ARBA) Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Jesykasflowers
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jesykasflowers » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome!!

I do really want to adopt a tam, however I am finding myself to be a bit too picky I guess. I was first turned on to the tams based upon their wolf-like appearance, and then after excessive research, I really love all that I have tea and have been told about the tamaskan. I am willing to pay the money for a tam, but I would be disappointed if, as the pup matured, his tail began to curl like a husky tail. What are my odds of finding a true, red tam without the curled tail? And how old would a pup have to be before I could see whether the tail was likely to curl?

Or should I wait a few more years until the curled tail is (hopefully) bred out?

Any other opinions/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:07 am

From what I've seen, you can generally tell when they are puppies, but they can get a curly tail as time goes on. Wylie didn't have much of a curl as a pup, but now has a sickle tail. Honestly, I don't see why it would be such a big deal that I wouldn't want a tam....but the tails are getting better from what I've seen from past litters...
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN @ Polarose

Jesykasflowers
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jesykasflowers » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:22 pm

I don't mind a sickle tail. I have just never liked husky tails. Not really sure why, I just don't like them. It's a personal preference, like a person who would favor a large dog over a small one, or a flashy brindle over a fawn colored coat, or a red tam over a gray.

The curled tail also takes away from the resemblance to the wolf, which was a factor in creating the tam anyway, and the straight tails will just further dissuade people from trying to buy a wolf or wolf hybrid as a pet. I want to represent the breed well, even though I won't be breeding, so hopefully more wolf-enthusiasts will see that there is another way to "own a wolf," without actually owning one. And with the tam's beautiful appearance AND awesome, family-dog character, they really are the best of both worlds. So a big thank you to all of you breeders of tams!!!

So I was just curious as to what all of your experiences with tams are, wondering how early a pup's tail will curl and how many pups are born without a curled tail. That was the purpose of my original question.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:16 pm

In my experience, it really will vary. My boy Ulric has a sickle shaped tail, straight at rest but it really curls more when excited. His tail was pretty straight up until 5 or 6 months old if I remember correctly. My girl Zelda, her tail was straight until the day I picked her up at 8 weeks old, and she has a very curly tail.

Husky tails are not supposed to be curly, their standard actually says straight. I could be wrong, but the curly tail may come from bad breeding and/or adding in Malamute.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Pepper has a sickle tail and Phoenix's tail touches the floor when straight so she has a kink in the bottom and is held to the side to keep it off the floor. I'm guessing she will grow into her tail though but I know one of Pepper's sister's had the same - really long tail so the bottom cork screws to keep it off the floor.