Hello from Texas!

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
rilostark
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hello from Texas!

Post by rilostark » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:11 pm

Hi everyone!

We live in Texas with two adult cats named Lil Grim and Emma (her full name is Em-mmmaaaaa! Shapanggggyamana! (sung to the tune of the Lion King opening words) and one 7-month old Great Pyrenees named Ronin.

I stumbled across the breed years ago while going through a wolfdog research phase (conclusion of wolfdog research: owning a wolf-dog is basically committing to owning a wolf, so know what you're getting in to, and don't kid yourself it'll be like having your own White Fang). I fell in love with the breed for being a wolfdog without the wolf, and now we're finally in a position to get one of our own!

I'm part of a few Tam-centric Facebook groups, and I saw the post from Taunus Tamaskans about their unplanned litter! So we are currently talking with them about getting a puppy from that litter, and if it doesn't work out we will likely reach out to all the TDR registered breeders in the US next!

I have volunteered at my local animal shelter as a dog walker for going on 10 years, and recently started fostering for them. At the moment, we have a momma cat and her five ~2-week old babies. They. Are. S'cute.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hello from Texas!

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:16 pm

Welcome to the forum! Cute pets!! :D
What part of Texas are you from? I just to live in Katy, just outside Houston. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

rilostark
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rilostark » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:37 pm

TY and TY :D

We're in Austin, but I know where Katy is!

Isn't Selva from your Ninja litter last year? I don't remember where Sampo came from, but I think I remember seeing that he has also mated with Vega (a female you currently own?) too?

Also, you may not remember, but I totally applied for one of your future litters about a year ago (marking down that we were interested in the next 1-2 years). :lol:

Crazy small world out here with the Tamaskans! They're so new, and it seems like every TDR breeder has some sort of cross-over :3 One BIIIIG family. Me and my hubby are hoping to join the breeder family someday, too <3

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:07 am

Hello and welcome! I'm in Calgary so a bit of a ways away but I've been to Austin many times, you guys have a pretty nice city!

Remember that the oops litter are going to pet only homes :)

Selva is from the ninja litter, Sampo is an Alba doggie. Quicksilver had the litter with Vega which Sylvaen assisted with, but when he left the breeding ring Debby (Sylvaen) took Vega back and gave her a breeding home under her own roof.

Most breeders have some sort of cross-over. I have a Tamaskan name Wylie (woo) who I got from Sierra Tamaskan in Oregon. She just sold her whole litter so I don't think she's expecting for some time.

Enjoy your visits :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:54 am

rilostark wrote:TY and TY :D

We're in Austin, but I know where Katy is!

Isn't Selva from your Ninja litter last year? I don't remember where Sampo came from, but I think I remember seeing that he has also mated with Vega (a female you currently own?) too?

Also, you may not remember, but I totally applied for one of your future litters about a year ago (marking down that we were interested in the next 1-2 years). :lol:

Crazy small world out here with the Tamaskans! They're so new, and it seems like every TDR breeder has some sort of cross-over :3 One BIIIIG family. Me and my hubby are hoping to join the breeder family someday, too <3
Ahhh cool, yeah I have a lot of good friends in Austin... it would be nice to go back to visit Texas sometime, it's been almost 10 years or so since I was last there!

Yes, Selva is from our outcross Ninja litter (Ninja X Zora), born in spring 2014. Sampo is the sire of our girl Vala, out of the Quicksilver litter (Sampo X Vega), born in spring 2012. :)

Yep, I remember now! I knew I recognized your name from somewhere hahaha... I'm starting to go through all the applications now that we are making plans for our upcoming 2015 litters (Vega and Zora). ;)

It's true that most Tams are related, but that's also because the worldwide Tamaskan population is quite small (just over 600 registered individuals) - this is one of the main reasons why we're actively seeking new outcrosses to add fresh blood to the genepool. :D
Katlin wrote:Remember that the oops litter are going to pet only homes

Selva is from the ninja litter, Sampo is an Alba doggie. Quicksilver had the litter with Vega which Sylvaen assisted with, but when he left the breeding ring Debby (Sylvaen) took Vega back and gave her a breeding home under her own roof.
Yes, this is correct. As Selva is registered with Conditional Registration, underage (only 1 year old, the TDR has a minimum breeding age of 18 months old), and not health tested, the puppies from the accidental Sampo X Selva litter are not entitled to TDR registration and therefore are going to pet (non-breeding) homes only. We kept Selva's sister (Hinata) for future breeding and if she passes all the required health testing, we plan to breed her next spring once she is around the age of 2 years old.

Yep, we sold Vega to a breeding home (Quicksilver) here in Croatia back in 2010 and she had her litter with Sampo in spring 2012, which I arranged and facilitated by going along for the mating in Germany and helping out during whelping, etc. Later on, in autumn 2012, Quicksilver decided to quit breeding and rehomed all his dogs so, as per our purchase contract, we took Vega back and now she lives with us. We're planning to breed her to an outcross male this summer. :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum!! We live in North Texas with our 2 Tamaskans :)

rilostark
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rilostark » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:13 am

Thank you for all the kind words and welcomes!

We were hoping (perhaps naively) that it would still be possible to register the puppy in the future as an approved Tam to breed if they passed all of their tests when they reach ~18 - 24 months?

But it may be decided for us, as the husband just got tapped for a big out-of-state job promotion!! So we may move and choose to wait a bit before adding any additional puppy chaos to our new city. Plus we already have a puppy (a 7 month old Pyr..) so even in 4 months (is the International puppy shipping still 16 wks? or is 8 wks allowed?) he'll be right about a year old and still have a bit of maturing to do.

I had doubts that we might be rushing in too fast, because while we got both cats as kittens at the same time - getting two puppies more or less at the same time - especially from such intelligent and stubborn breeds - was something I definitely think we may have glazed over when we were star-eyed and saying, "Tam Puppies!!"

Now that we are finally in a position to get a Tam - it's hard to wait! But if we decide it would be better for the potential puppy to find a different family, for all the different reasons, that would also open us up for a more "local" US litter in the near-ish future, so we have a lot to discuss. :?

Edit: Or another overseas litter! I asked Martina to keep us in mind for a future Selva x Sampo litter if we decide we need to dig our feet in and wait a bit longer haha.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:56 pm

No problem! :)
rilostark wrote:We were hoping (perhaps naively) that it would still be possible to register the puppy in the future as an approved Tam to breed if they passed all of their tests when they reach ~18 - 24 months?
Since Selva only has Conditional Registration, she would need Full Registration first and foremost (more info here: http://www.tamaskan-dog.org/registry/li ... ration.php) but since she was underage when the pups were born, the pups might only qualify for Limited Registration at best (pending a vote by the TDR Committee) simply to prove that they are Tamaskan Dogs, but not for breeding; this is why they are being sold at reduced price to pet homes only. Also, as far as I am aware, Bruce and Martina are not yet TDR registered breeders as they have not yet signed the TDR Breeder's Contract (http://www.tamaskan-dog.org/registry/be ... reeder.php) so that would be the very first step before anything else.
rilostark wrote:But it may be decided for us, as the husband just got tapped for a big out-of-state job promotion!! So we may move and choose to wait a bit before adding any additional puppy chaos to our new city. Plus we already have a puppy (a 7 month old Pyr..) so even in 4 months (is the International puppy shipping still 16 wks? or is 8 wks allowed?) he'll be right about a year old and still have a bit of maturing to do.
Hmmm it sounds like you have quite a lot going on at the moment. I always suggest waiting until the time is right before adding a new pup to the household... it could be quite chaotic to add a new pup to the mix on top of moving to a different state.

Yes, as of August 11, 2014, puppies entering the USA have to be 16 weeks old (with rabies vaccination at 12 weeks old + 4 week waiting period). Moreover, as of December 29, 2014, the EU implemented a similar policy whereby puppies have to be 15 weeks old (with rabies vaccination at 12 weeks old + 3 week waiting period) before they can travel throughout the EU; some countries do allow pups to travel within the EU if they are under 12 weeks old (without a rabies vaccine) but this is only for a few specific countries and only if the owner accompanies the pet (non-commercial movement). Any unaccompanied travel is considered a commercial movement, as is the case when the puppy is being transferred from the breeder to the new owner, so an International Health Certificate and TRACES documentation (issued by the exporting country's government authorized veterinarian) are also required.

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html

http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/regs/EntryR ... s-Cats.pdf
Effective December 29, 2014, all dogs, cats and ferrets leaving Germany must be microchipped, vaccinated for rabies (in that order) and wait 21 days before leaving the country. http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Germany.cfm

rilostark
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rilostark » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:54 am

Thank you for all of the information and links!!!

We decided to wait for the job decision in August, because as you said it would be very hectic to add a puppy to a new city. O.O

And, as you also said :), the litter is somewhat iffy as far as future breeding prospects go; so because we very strongly want to be involved in furthering this breed down the line, that was another reason we're waiting on a pup.

Hopefully in the next 6-12 months we'll be back "in the market"! We've been talking about it jointly for nearly two years, and I've personally wanted a Tam ever since I first laid eyes on them ~6 years ago? Love the breed's progress already, and that so far everyone I've encountered has been so so sweet and involved :D