Hello from the Netherlands

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
Cvdberg
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hello from the Netherlands

Post by Cvdberg » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:12 am

Hello everyone!

A little about me: I'm Cindy and I'm from the Netherlands. I'm currently still studying (Human -Technology interaction) and I live in an appartement with my boyfriend. At this point we feel like we cannot offer enough time and living space to a dog, but we hope to become tamaskan owners one day :).

Why I joined the forum: For now I hope to find lots of information about tamaskans and learn as much as I can about them. And in the future I'm hoping to gets some tips about which breeders are "the good ones". (I did some research and found some confusing information about whether some breeders are scammers or not)

I'm looking forward to read more about tamaskans on this forum :)
Have a great day you all!
With kind regards,

Cindy

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Post by firleymj » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Welcome and well met!
When the time comes, may your find a Tamaskan that brings you as much joy as my Kona has brought me.

Let me give my "usual" speech about selecting a breeder.

I'd go with a Tamaskan Dog Register affiliated breeder (or one that belongs to an approved club in the Netherlands or Germany).

TDR registered breeders subject themselves to performing a number of mandatory tests for their dogs: much more than many other breeds require. These include but are not limited to hip (and now elbow) scoring, ophthalmological (eye) exams, DNA parentage tests, and more. In addition, many TDR breeders go above and beyond the minimums with their own unique regimens: nDNA, mtDNA, and cDNA testing, extensive placement testing (including aptitude testing), keeping the puppies for weeks longer than the recommended minimum, and/or conducting extensive socialization programs. Each breeder is free to do what they want to do beyond the minima established by the organization.

All TDR breeders love their dogs (sometimes so passionately it's easy to start an almost violent argument over what constitutes the "absolute best practice"), but I can attest that however difficult they can be, it's well worth your while to invest in a pup from a TDR member breeder.

If your potential breeder can't supply independently verifiable documentation of the above, I'd walk away.

Even if you can see independent verification of all these items from your breeder, you're not without risk - any dog carries some risk - no matter what people want to believe, we can't produce perfection - but at least you can rest knowing that what can reasonably be done has been done to make sure you get a healthy pup and the best possible start at a good relationship.

If it's at all possible, visit the breeder before you get in line for a pup - ask for a tour. My breeder actively encouraged (indeed required) participation and I'm ever so glad they did. My dog has been a blessing in my life and I will always be grateful for him.

The important thing is to investigate and be careful.

In the words of a famous quote from the 80s: "Trust, but Verify"
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:09 pm

Hello and welcome :mrgreen:
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:57 am

Welcome to the forum! :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Hello, welcome to the forum!!

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Welkom :)