Hello from Germany

If you are new to the International Tamaskan Forum, please introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Please CLICK HERE to read the Forum Rules!
Bridget
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hello from Germany

Post by Bridget » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi, I have been reading about Tamaskans since summer this year but have not had the opportunity to meet one yet. From what I read a Tamaskan seems to be exactly the right dog for my family. I would be thankful for any information from tamaskan owners.
Until a few weeks ago I had two Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. Since my older dog needed a lot of care in her last months I did not want to bring a pup into the family. My other Chessie is 10 years old and getting a bit slower so that longer hikes are not possible any more. She still travels with me (camper van) and loves to explore. Has anyone got experience bringing a Tamaskan puppy into a house with an older dog? Or would it be better for my Chessie and a potential puppy to wait?

Thank for any input, Bridget

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Welcome to the forum, Bridget! :)

In my experience, it is fine to introduce a Tamaskan puppy into a household with an older dog. The puppy will learn a lot from the older dog simply by watching and imitating... I find that it is much easier to introduce a puppy into a family if there is already an older dog to guide the puppy, compared to getting a puppy without any other dogs in the house at all. Plus, the puppy will certainly appreciate having a canine companion. So, it really all depends on your Chessie and if she would tolerate having a young whippersnapper in the house. From the sound of things, I think you shouldn't have too much difficulty as it seems she is still fairly active and adventurous.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.