Buying a Tamaskan Pup in MN, USA

All topics pertaining to the sale of TDR registered Tamaskan puppies / adults, as well as international shipping.
Mugen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Buying a Tamaskan Pup in MN, USA

Post by Mugen » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:13 am

Hi everyone,
I registered for the ITF a while ago, but have not posted since my introduction so I still consider myself very much new to this forum. I am looking to add a Tamaskan pup to my family but honestly don't know where to start- or rather, I thought I did and feel as though I've come full circle and am back where I started. I have researched the Tamaskan breed and am only looking to buy a pup form a TDR breeder, as I will not support puppy mills or disreputable breeders/BYBs. However, there is so much "history" to the breed/breeders I don't want to just start making phone calls looking for a pup and inquiring about upcoming litters for fear of potential obstacles and/or judgement from breeders. Having said that...I have a few questions I hope some of you might be able to answer:

As I stated above, I have done my research and am aware of the location of TDR breeders in the US...but unless I am mistaken- there don't seem to be many puppies available- at least not anywhere near MN. How does one get on a list to buy a Tamaskan?

I would prefer to not have a puppy shipped as I do not feel that is the best experience for a puppy, and would rather drive to pick up my pup. For this reason, a breeder that is somewhat "close" to MN (USA) is ideal.

Are there any litters planned in the near future and if so are any of the breeders also near MN? How do I reach out to a breeder to let them know I am interested in a pup? Also, (and I certainly hope this does not offend anyone) are the breeders interested in growing awareness of the breed?- it seems it is so difficult to acquire a Tamaskan pup, what are my chances of adding one to my family?

Sorry for the long post. I am not interested in breeding dogs myself, but am very excited to have one as a member of my familial pack again; and am very much smitten with the Tamaskan for reasons I know all of you are familiar with yourselves :)

thank you for any responses.
∞MUGEN∞
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

If we follow our bliss the universe will open doors for us where there were only walls.

The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Buying a Tamaskan Pup in MN, USA

Post by Booma » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 am

To find breeders litter plans and to get on their waiting list (you will need to fill out an application), you will need to contact each individual breeder.
We are all aware of the popularity of the breed - we get sometimes dozens of emails a week each.
Rather than just going for the breeder closest to you, find one you like - you like their dogs, or the breeding combination they have planned, or their breeding goals are what work best for you.
Image Image

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:31 pm

You may have to import a pup, I had to get my boy from the USA. Also beware of your state laws, I know wolfdogs are illegal in the Twin cities but not sure about your city, so just be careful with that.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Mugen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Mugen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 am

Booma and Katlin, thank you for the replies. You both have some very good points. I have had my eye on a couple breeders because I like the look of their dogs, breeding plans, dog ancestry, etc... So I agree, it will be best to find the right breeder and then make arrangements with them. Sounds like picking up the phone is the best option to get the ball rolling- which is fine by me as long as that is typically expected by breeders :)

Also, Hybrid laws are not regulated by the state of Minnesota, but are by county. Fortunately for me, any crossbreeds such as the crossbreed between a wolf and a dog are prohibited, UNLESS the crossbreed is commonly accepted as a domesticated house pet. I believe I'd be safe within the law owning a Tamaskan.

Is flying/shipping a pup traumatic for the pup? Any other tips or advise on the process is always welcome.
∞MUGEN∞
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

If we follow our bliss the universe will open doors for us where there were only walls.

The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.

Mugen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Mugen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 am

BTW: Both of you have beautiful looking Tamaskans!
∞MUGEN∞

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:22 am

So with my boy I live in Calgary which is a HUGE city with an international airport right by, I lucked out. My breeder lived in a small town in california so I paid for her to drive to the nearest international airport. Wylie flew from Cali to Houston :( then to Calgary, so I had to pay extra to have him supervised and let out in Texas for a walk (closely watched by the way). Then I had to go to cargo, get the forms from the kennel, and drive to the airport terminal to get them signed where I was charged another $150 of import taxes. Then I drove back to cargo and picked up Wylie where he hadn't even peed in his crate....but he was howling his heart out! He slept the whole 45 minutes home and slept the whole night and half the next day. He didn't seem bothered at all and did very well in the car. He's still fantastic in the car. My breeder hired a broker or something to book Wylie's flights and since it was January and I'm in Alberta, there was an embargo (cold) on most flights so it was very difficult to find something he could travel on.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:57 pm

I've just sent a puppy from my first litter to America. He flew from Perth to Melbourne, spent the night there, then flew to LA, had a comfort stop, then a shorter flight to *somewhere* and a last short flight to his final destination. a long journey for a little man, but he has recovered well and is enjoying his new home.
Pups can fly to America at 10 weeks from Australia because we are rabies free, but if coming from most parts of EU, they can't fly until they are 16 weeks. Transport costs from Aus are pretty pricey though.
Image Image

Noodler
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Noodler » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:05 am

I recently received the above mentioned pup from Aus -> USA. He bounced back well from the flight. When I met him at the airport, Genghis seemed pretty wiped (zero interest in leaving his crate, slept the whole car ride home), but once he got home, curiosity overtook and he walked out of his crate and started exploring his new environment. His digestive system took longer to fully recover. He ate enough that I wasn't concerned he was starving, but getting him to eat his food was like getting a kid to eat kale -- not too peppy. Runny poops during this time too, which the vet thought were linked to the stress of travel and being in a new environment. When I switched him over to cooked food, his appetite came right back, his poops solidified a day or two later and now he's happily been weaned back to kibble. He's been home with me for almost 3 weeks now, and he's a very happy, mellow guy who doesn't seem to show any trauma from the flight.
Noodler
Human of Genghis, @lilgenghiskang

Mugen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Mugen » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 am

Boy, time flies! I put my house on the market shortly after posting on this thread...and a whirlwind swept me up. I moved into a new place just before Thanksgiving weekend... then suddenly there was Christmas and then New year's...Well, I feel a little like Dorothy from the wizard of Oz (minus the munchkins, wicked witches, flying monkeys... well maybe some flying monkeys, lol). Anyway, I am finally getting settled again and can focus on important things like finding the perfect Tamaskan companion ;)

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject. It sounds like quite an ordeal to have a pup shipped- A bit expensive, and probably stressful on the little ones, but it also seems like the pups are quite resilient. I certainly am not passing any judgement but I still have some reservations about it all. Of course, finding the best Tamaskan for me from a quality breeder might just dictate that I go that route.

What are some other considerations?- Are all airlines created equal in shipping live animals?

BTW, I found an awesome picture of a tamaskan that I will probably post to see if anyone recognizes it... that may help me in narrowing down my choice of breeders.

-Happy New Year everyone!-
∞MUGEN∞

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:25 pm

Mugen wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 am
Boy, time flies! I put my house on the market shortly after posting on this thread...and a whirlwind swept me up. I moved into a new place just before Thanksgiving weekend... then suddenly there was Christmas and then New year's...Well, I feel a little like Dorothy from the wizard of Oz (minus the munchkins, wicked witches, flying monkeys... well maybe some flying monkeys, lol). Anyway, I am finally getting settled again and can focus on important things like finding the perfect Tamaskan companion ;)
Congrats! I know how it goes hehe... it feels like I've been off the forum for just a short while (too busy with day to day stuff) but now I see it's been ages! Time really does fly :)
Mugen wrote: I appreciate everyone's input on this subject. It sounds like quite an ordeal to have a pup shipped- A bit expensive, and probably stressful on the little ones, but it also seems like the pups are quite resilient. I certainly am not passing any judgement but I still have some reservations about it all. Of course, finding the best Tamaskan for me from a quality breeder might just dictate that I go that route.
One other option/suggestion: if you know someone locally who also wants a puppy, try to get a pup together (from the same breeder) at the same time, as then both pups can fly together in the same shipping crate so they have each other for companionship and with the added bonus that you get to share/split the shipping costs with the other family. Win:win situation! :)
Mugen wrote: What are some other considerations?- Are all airlines created equal in shipping live animals?
We use a transhipping company to export puppies and, usually, they fly with Lufthansa, which provides really good service. Other airlines we've used include Air France and Air Canada... both provided great service. :)
Mugen wrote: BTW, I found an awesome picture of a tamaskan that I will probably post to see if anyone recognizes it... that may help me in narrowing down my choice of breeders.

-Happy New Year everyone!-
Sure, I'd like to see and maybe I can help identify it! Happy New Year to you too! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Mugen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Mugen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:53 am

Here's a pic of the Tamaskan- I traced the pic to the NTCC and was told that it's one of yours (Sylvaen). Can you confirm?
∞MUGEN∞

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:09 pm

Yes, that's Pika (Sylvaen Pikachu) :)

Mugen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Mugen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 am

Yes, that's Pika (Sylvaen Pikachu) :)
Cool. Beautiful coat!

I've personally had several encounters with actual wild Gray Wolves while hiking alone in the woods of Northern Minnesota. Each encounter was a transformative and enlightening experience. - Imagine being literally (I'm using literally in the correct sense here, lol) 25 feet from a wild wolf while in the woods! These were not wolves raised by men and women in captivity my friends. These were true wild-born native wolves of MN.

Pika's coat color totally reminds me of one of the wolves that I saw.
∞MUGEN∞

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks! :D

Yeah, I know what you mean! I've only seen true wild-born wolves (in nature) on a couple of occasions and it is truly a memorable experience. Captive-bred wolves are impressive and amazing animals, but their wild cousins are just so awe-inspiring. I remember noting how graceful and quiet they are, how they seem to slink into view and how still yet alert they are... and then slink away again in the blink of an eye. Incredible. :)