Help... panting, stopped eating

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
rfc1918
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Help... panting, stopped eating

Post by rfc1918 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:40 am

Hello,

We have a Tamaskan from RightPuppy who is now 5 years old. She is a child of Tumble and Juno, if the genetics matter.

She had been having a skin condition (redness, sores, hair falling out) and our vet put her on a medication to treat thyroid disease. Lately she has been panting very heavily for long periods. We have been able to rule out her being too warm and gave her an entire day with the AC running at 68 degrees. We are thinking the panting could be a side effect of the thyroid medicine.

Suddenly today the panting has been non-stop and she is not eating much at all. She is drinking, pooping, but had some diarrhea this morning. She won't even eat junk food that she would normally bet for.

We have a vet appointment in the morning for follow up on the thyroid problem and plan to address our new recent problem.

Do these symptoms match any of the known conditions that have resulted from the problems related to the Rightpuppy litters?

Thanks

Remy

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Help... panting, stopped eating

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 am

Sorry to hear this... unfortunately it sounds like all the symptoms of Addison's Disease, which is present in RightPuppy bloodlines.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/end ... ocorticism

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 97&aid=520
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

rfc1918
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rfc1918 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Just an update. It's been almost a year but honestly it seems like 5 years. The diagnosis ended up being Cushing's and we started trilostane. It seemed to lead to some improvement but the drug started to make it so she could not walk. We're waiting to hear if we are going to restart the medication at a lower dose.

If anyone else has been dealing with cushing's, it would be good to hear from you. I did a search of the forum and it doesn't look like this comes up very much.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:39 pm

ooh I'm so sorry to hear this diagnosis... from what I understand, Cushing's disease is the exact opposite to Addison's disease, which is relatively common (in certain bloodlines) within the breed. :(
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Jadzia1313
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jadzia1313 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:18 pm

I'm sorry to hear the diagnosis, but I'm glad you did find an answer to the issues. If you are not already a member, I'd suggest looking at joining the Facebook group "American Tamaskans" and asking there. It is a group solely for owners of puppymill pups. I myself have a Ratliff pup that had hip dysplasia at 10 months old. It is a place were the owners can share stories, pictures, and get support. You might find others with siblings or relatives to your pup, and they may have some comments to share based on the health issues they may have had as well.