Tamaskan as an Assistance Dog, Thoughts?

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
RCPaws
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Tamaskan as an Assistance Dog, Thoughts?

Post by RCPaws » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:28 pm

What are your thoughts about a Tamaskan as an Assistance Dog? Do you think they can handle the training and obedience levels? I know about the Tamaskan, Wave, I think it is that is the school mascot, so they can handle life on campus easily which is much crazier than my school life. But doing tasks such as retrieving multiple objects, alerting to sounds, balancing, bracing, being aware of their surroundings?

Of course these things will be detailed trained and shown. Due to the love of pulling its a great added benefit to counter balance and tension pull. You take that natural behavior and just add to it.

for me the likelihood of being in a wheelchair again is very great so having a dog who likes to pull is another great benefit. But I would like to hear from the experts of this breed :)

Thanks

RC Paws
Montana

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Tamaskan as an Assistance Dog, Thoughts?

Post by Nino » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:35 pm

I think that Akim is a therapy dog, and from the right lines I think a Tamaskan would love that kind of lifestyle..

My own Tam wouldn't do good as a assistance dog, due to a bit of shyness (because of earlier circumstantial specially) , but she would be well at retrieving (taught herself this) and is very aware of her surroundings, noticing slight changes etc. and very observant! She would love pulling too I think :)

I hope when time comes to find the right male for her, bringing in a bit more balance and body (she is very slim) and hopefully being able to make a litter where the pups would be great for training and doing both dog sports and being service dogs (I would like to do search and rescue in the future) :)

I think most of the Tam's would do well at pulling a wheel chair..
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:07 pm

My Zephyr would do great with pulling and he loves to retrieve and even knows how to throw things back. He is great with all people but he has some focusing problems and wants to do what he wants to do. With a Tamaskan from the right lines and with the proper training from the beginning I think this breed would do well as a service dog as they are better if they can be with their owners 24 hours a day. I also want to train my tamaskan to do search and rescue but their are no classes in my area, so I have to wait until I move.

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:42 pm

I think any dog with the right temprement and training can do anything, regardless of their breed. My Shay has the kindest nature and is very thoughtfull. She can get over excited in sertain situations but she just want's to say 'Hello' to everyone.
as an assistance dog the breed should do well.
I have posted video's of Shay playing with our cat, pulling her cart and I am just posting one today of her helping my other puppy who fell in the burn. Her kindness and inteligance know's no bounds, she is a fantastic dog... :lol:

Castiel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Castiel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:43 am

I can think of at least one Tamaskan Service/Assistance dog team off the top of my head. Whether a Tamaskan would be the correct choice depends on the individuals needs, the line of dogs used, and the dog itself. For mobility I believe a Tam would do well. I'm not sure how in tune with their handlers they are, and how they react, so I can't comment on psych work.