Similarity with cats

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
ArwenT
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Similarity with cats

Post by ArwenT » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:37 pm

I admit this might sound a bit odd but the more I read about Tamaskans, the more it seems to me to read about my cat. Meaning, perhaps one of the reason that I find them so fascinating and somehow familiar, even if I have never owned one, is that their personality resembles more the one of a cat than a dog in the more traditional sense…is this a crazy thought?

Of course I know that there are huge differences but it strikes me reading about how stubborn, independent, aloof they can sometimes be, deeply disappointing previous dogs owners who expect more obedience and trainability … and while I read I can’t help but thinking…well this is exactly how my cat and all my previous cats behave Including the crazy (like, real crazy) teenagers years and the 2 hours running time needed every day, still now. Including the impossibility to leave them alone for more than 3 or 4 hours a day. Or perhaps I just picked the crazy ones from the litter, I don’t know.

Has anyone else noted a similarity? I don't own a Tamaskan yet, so if this is a silly question just ignore me.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Similarity with cats

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:16 pm

I think it really depends on the individual dog... some Tamaskans are very cat-like: a bit aloof, stubborn and independent... while others are very dog-like: goofy, friendly, playful, eager-to-please, etc. Some breeds (Shiba Inu, for instance) are much more cat-like overall. We have 5 adult cats and 5 adult dogs (4 Tamaskans) and there are some similarities but also a lot of differences. I can certainly say I've never been deeply disappointed in my dogs because they are all relatively obedient and easy-to-train... sure, they each have their moments from time to time, but for the most part they are amazing (and I wouldn't want a "robot-dog" anyway). :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

ArwenT
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ArwenT » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 am

Sylvaen wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:16 pm
I think it really depends on the individual dog... some Tamaskans are very cat-like: a bit aloof, stubborn and independent... while others are very dog-like: goofy, friendly, playful, eager-to-please, etc.
I see. This is very interesting, for me. My cat is a very weird combination of the two temperaments you describe, he's definitely not a laptop cat and he's generally very independent and occasionally stubborn but he's also goofy, very friendly and extremely playful... he's also very energetic and a real runner. I often think that he's got some dog characteristics, like... he loves to play fetch and he's been an instant learner for being leash trained. He also loves play-fights but he never bites nor scratches (that took a lot of training but he's very good now!) Since I found out about Tamaskans, I thought that if I can introduce them properly to each other, a Tamaskan could be his best friend, this is why I asked. I'm not saying that I'm expecting a Tamaskan to be a cat tho LOL. I know there are many differences, and also know about prey drive and I'm still reflecting upon it.
Sylvaen wrote:
We have 5 adult cats and 5 adult dogs (4 Tamaskans)
This is great, for socialization and also because you understand cats and cats owners' personalities :D
Sylvaen wrote:
... sure, they each have their moments from time to time, but for the most part they are amazing (and I wouldn't want a "robot-dog" anyway). :)
Yes! This is one of the main reasons I fell in love with Tamaskans, because they seem to be loyal and playful but also their own "persons". I only had a dog when I was 6, so my only experience as a dog "owner" was more about rolling in the mud with the dog than Advanced Obedience :D .
I want to learn as much as I can about proper training, agility and work because I read they need to work to be happy but no, I wouldn't want a "robot-dog" at all, me neither.

Thank you for all your answers!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:37 am

ArwenT wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 am
I see. This is very interesting, for me. My cat is a very weird combination of the two temperaments you describe, he's definitely not a laptop cat and he's generally very independent and occasionally stubborn but he's also goofy, very friendly and extremely playful... he's also very energetic and a real runner. I often think that he's got some dog characteristics, like... he loves to play fetch and he's been an instant learner for being leash trained. He also loves play-fights but he never bites nor scratches (that took a lot of training but he's very good now!) Since I found out about Tamaskans, I thought that if I can introduce them properly to each other, a Tamaskan could be his best friend, this is why I asked. I'm not saying that I'm expecting a Tamaskan to be a cat tho LOL. I know there are many differences, and also know about prey drive and I'm still reflecting upon it.
Yes, Tamaskan Dogs get along fine with cats so long as the Tamaskan puppy is introduced to cats from a young age and grows up around them... it's always best to introduce a Tamaskan puppy to an adult cat, rather than try to introduce an adult Tamaskan Dog to a kitten. Our Tamaskan Dogs learned from a young age that our cats are the boss of our household: www.Sylvaen.com/cats.html
ArwenT wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 am
This is great, for socialization and also because you understand cats and cats owners' personalities :D
Definitely! We start introducing our puppies to our cats when the puppies are aged around 3-4 weeks old. So, if the new families have cats, the puppies already know what to expect. :)

ArwenT
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by ArwenT » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:37 am
Yes, Tamaskan Dogs get along fine with cats so long as the Tamaskan puppy is introduced to cats from a young age and grows up around them...
This is what I thought and read everywhere, thank you for confirming it. You have first-hand experience, this is very important to me.
Sylvaen wrote:
it's always best to introduce a Tamaskan puppy to an adult cat, rather than try to introduce an adult Tamaskan Dog to a kitten.
I was wondering exactly this! all the videos of successful introductions that I found are of kittens introduced to older resident Tamaskans, I didn't find any video of the opposite, so this is very good to know! :)
Sylvaen wrote:
Our Tamaskan Dogs learned from a young age that our cats are the boss of our household: www.Sylvaen.com/cats.html
:D Yes, cats love the boss role.

What a great family, you have! The "beastmaster" pic is fantastic, I love it :)
And I had seen Gizmo amazing story on YouTube, just didn't make the connection it was yours! I truly hope one day you will find him again. That story really moved me, you did something great that not many people would have done.
Sylvaen wrote:
Definitely! We start introducing our puppies to our cats when the puppies are aged around 3-4 weeks old. So, if the new families have cats, the puppies already know what to expect. :)
It sounds just …perfect :) My cat is 4yo, so he’s not a puppy anymore, but after reading this I’m thinking … perhaps I should try to slowly familiarise him with dogs too, in the meantime. 
I have a friend who has a very friendly little dog, perhaps if I go with tiny steps by the time I’ll have my Tamaskan he will love dogs, who knows… I’ll report on the experiment! :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:15 pm

OK great :D
Thanks for the kind words!