Shedding

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Shedding

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Sion wrote:Regards shedding, has anyone found any worthwhile vacuum cleaners? We've found the only (moderately) effective one to be a Dyson, with the best option to do without carpet altogether - only our bedroom, landing and stairs still have it.

Also never buy a washing machine whose filter can't be accessed from the front! We made that mistake (it's internal - stupid design :evil: ) and are forever having to call the service chap out to unclog it. :oops:
I have the Dyson DC Animal... It was well worth the 450 bucks and I haven't found a vacuum that works better. Which Dyson do you have?

I will agree on the design flaw on the washer, my parents are forever having the service people over.

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:37 pm

AZDehlin wrote:I have the Dyson DC Animal... It was well worth the 450 bucks and I haven't found a vacuum that works better. Which Dyson do you have?

I will agree on the design flaw on the washer, my parents are forever having the service people over.
DC-19, I think. Little cylinder thing that refuses to follow me as I vacuum, preferring to run into door jambs and furniture, or just fall over and play dead :evil: , but pretty effective suction.
"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 pm

I brush Shay every week or so and I make sure she is clean and dry before I start as I keep her fur. There is a local spinner near-by and when I have enough I will have it spun into yarn. Then.....????? A Tamaskan waistcoat ??? Jumper ??? sock's ???

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:11 pm

That is outrageous! I love it!

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:22 pm

"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Oh wow! That made my day! Put me down for a tamaskan snood! ;)

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:33 pm

*facepalm* :roll:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:37 pm

:lol: only today someone on our walk was telling me a friend of hers used husky fur to knit with, I might have to start saving Sagas fur. Would it smell like damp dog if it got wet :? Or I think I will leave it for the birds :lol:

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Uch, there's a thought! I just love the idea of people having to be furminated too!

Seriously, who thinks of these things?!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:44 pm

i had often wondered what happened when they got wet... does it smell like wet dog or not :? there was something on tv about a woman who used her white dogs fur to knit with many years back...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 pm

From the reviews:
I know only too well how stinky my wet dogs can be, but apparently they say the smell can be washed out quite permanently and easily and then they ask if one has ever smelled a sheep up close. Good point!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Sion wrote:
AZDehlin wrote:I have the Dyson DC Animal... It was well worth the 450 bucks and I haven't found a vacuum that works better. Which Dyson do you have?

DC-19, I think. Little cylinder thing that refuses to follow me as I vacuum, preferring to run into door jambs and furniture, or just fall over and play dead :evil: , but pretty effective suction.
I bought the DC25 animal. The suction is unbeatable ( been through at least 15 vacuums types). I am sure Dyson has a better model for you :) . Less than 1% of their are vacuums returned, which is far better than any other vacuum on the market. If you have more than one dog or cat I recommend it/ swear by it.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:33 pm

issylupus wrote:I brush Shay every week or so and I make sure she is clean and dry before I start as I keep her fur. There is a local spinner near-by and when I have enough I will have it spun into yarn. Then.....????? A Tamaskan waistcoat ??? Jumper ??? sock's ???

I know people that do this with their persion cats fur... I would wear tamaskan sweater or socks :oops:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:38 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
issylupus wrote:I brush Shay every week or so and I make sure she is clean and dry before I start as I keep her fur. There is a local spinner near-by and when I have enough I will have it spun into yarn. Then.....????? A Tamaskan waistcoat ??? Jumper ??? sock's ???

I know people that do this with their persion cats fur... I would wear tamaskan sweater or socks :oops:
I would as well, Ulric's fur is quite soft and I could only imagine how warm it would be to wear one :oops: :D

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:55 pm

TerriHolt wrote:i had often wondered what happened when they got wet... does it smell like wet dog or not :? there was something on tv about a woman who used her white dogs fur to knit with many years back...
Dose a lamb's wool jumper smell like a sheep ??? :roll: No, the fur is washed and treated the same as sheep wool. There is no differance. I remember a lad at school proudly showing off his Aaron knit jumper made from his white Newfoundland. I can tell you..it was extreamly warm and quite shower-proof as all good wool jumpers should be. :lol:

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:58 pm

What does the result look like - I'm imagining more mohair than wool?

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:05 pm

Sion wrote:What does the result look like - I'm imagining more mohair than wool?
it's not as "Smooth" as sheep wool but it is far softer and dos'ent have that 'jabby' wool feel against your skin. :D

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Nino wrote:Sølve started her spring shredding 2 weeks ago now.. so that fits with the cycle in Spain :)

we save the hair of Sølves for a project later on, but Kovo's we mostly left outside for the birds to take :)
Btw. Sølve is now about 100% done shedding again.. wasn't as horrible this time as last time.
But that might be because it wasn't as long, her first time and she got a new brush :lol:
>> Nino <<

Canadia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Canadia » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Finch has just started to shed his undercoat so I brought home a Kong Zoom Groom from work yesterday - he LOVED it! It works on all coat types, on all areas of the body (great for the short hair on their legs) and it is really good for their coat, skin, circulation, etc. He just closed his eyes and leaned into it :lol: There is also FURminator deshedding shampoo and conditioner if you want to go all out for your tam!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Canadia wrote:There is also FURminator deshedding shampoo and conditioner if you want to go all out for your tam!
I just recently used this on Ulric. He is so much softer and he smells really good! :mrgreen:

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Wish I could have seen that

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:41 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:
Canadia wrote:There is also FURminator deshedding shampoo and conditioner if you want to go all out for your tam!
I just recently used this on Ulric. He is so much softer and he smells really good! :mrgreen:
I use a Pets at Home own brand deshedding shampoo right now on Maya and I want to try out the FURminator version. I'm debating whether I should get the conditioner as well but I don't know if there's much point when I only bathe the dog once every 4-6 weeks and I don't bother 'pretty-ing' her up for special occasions. I mean it would be nice for her to have a soft sleek coat but how long does this last after bathing? Has anyone ever tried using just the shampoo and on a separate occasion used both products? Does using the conditioner too increase the amount of excess hair lifted compared to just using the shampoo?

If anyone can answer this it would really help me. I already spoil my girl far too much and I don't want to be spending money on unnecessary dog beauty products!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:45 am

I used both the shampoo and conditioner so I don't know the difference would be in using just the conditioner. I do think it helped get a little more extra loose fur that I missed with the shampoo, and he was deffinately much softer (which I found amusing since I've been told that he was already soft).

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 am

I know this is kind of a dead topic, but just in case anyone was wondering, I'll give my input on the furminator and deshedding shampoos and conditioners. I worked for a few months washing and doing minor grooming for dogs and we used the furminator and the zoomgroom stuff. When using the shampoo and conditioner, work it in really well because it really does help get all the loose hairs out. The conditioner also helps get more hair out. What we would do when we worked on huskies or malamutes was to wash them once with regular dog shampoo, rinse them, then wash them again with the furminator shampoo and conditioner, it takes a little more time and product, but it does really help to get more of the hair out. Also if you have access to a high powered blow-dryer for pets it'll help even more. If you are using any kind of brush or comb on your pets, be sure not to go over the same area too many times, especially with the furminator brush because you can give your pets brush burn, which can get infected and is generally very irritating and painful to your pet. The zoomgroom is pretty awesome, but can take a lot of time and effort to go over a large, thick coated dog, but you don't have to worry so much about going in the wrong direction. I would recommend giving your dog a bath and brushing them after they're dry. If they're prone to getting mats in their fur, get those out BEFORE you wash them, otherwise they'll just get worse, so you may have to brush/comb them, bathe them, then brush again after they dry. Then just keep up with brushing them regularly after that.
-Crystal

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Both my dogs are at it again... I have been running the vacuum about 4 times a day and it needs to be emptied after everytime... I have hair balls the size of basket balls rolling around if I am not on top of it... Its like I live in the desert again except instead of tumble weeds I have hair balls.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm sure if everyone that owned a dog collected the shed hair, we would no longer have to raise sheep for wool.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:35 pm

I give balto a dshed every couple of weeks at work. The loose hair gets blasted out with a dryer (after a good wash). I still find little tumbleweeds around the house, but just small ones now.
Image Image

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:51 pm

It's curious - when Kona was really little, he HATED to be brushed! Gentle as I could be, with the softest brush I could find, he squirmed and fussed and bit at the brush with zeal! The good news is that he shed relatively little (based on prior dogs of unrelated and unknown breed). Bathing him was OK, but toweling off was as much as he'd tolerate (the hair dryer was apparently the construction of the Devil)

Fast forward a couple of months, and it's now getting on spring in the Northern US (although it hasn't been much of a one). From a golf ball sized bit of hair once a week, he's now shedding enough to build a hamster (or a tribble) every two days or so. He's also gone from HATING being brushed to a civil toleration of it (though he still wants to eat the fur rball the brush creates). :shock: Any of this sound familiar?

Mark
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Hahahaha YEP! Wylie would attack the brush then run and hide from me for hours. Now he rolls on his belly and groans until I brush him, just loves it. He also sheds about 2 softball size hunks a day.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:17 am

Yes! Pepper would run away when she saw the brush when she was little! We use a furminator now and she falls asleep every time. I do have to put the fur balls away from her when brushing because she will also try eat them.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:27 am

Kumho tolerates being brushed but I wouldn't say he's crazy about it. He will try to eat the hairballs though. And they don't even have to be his.

Echomama
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Echomama » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:36 am

I adopted a rescue dog in January of 2013. She was at the local kill shelter, with very little time left, and listed as a German Shepherd. I am pretty convinced, though, that she is a Tamaskan.
At first I considered she might be a wolf-hybrid, but I had one before (from 4 weeks to 9 years before he died), and other dogs not in his family "pack" did not do well with him. They seemed to smell that he was different, and would either become afraid or aggressive. This doesn't happen with her.
My question is this--when she is moulting she looks like an entirely different dog. She looks so much smaller-diminished, really, and not entirely healthy. We live in Texas, and this year she started moulting in February. With the strange weather patterns this year the temperature has been going back and forth between cold and hot.
In anyone's experience, is this a normal way of moulting? My hybrid did it too, but he was a 125 pounds, and he never got this skinny, sickly, look to him.
She also is a much lighter color now.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:55 am

Definitely not a Tamaskan :) but my guy is still 16 months, so I've never had him fully moult yet, I'm sure he'll look naked...Tamaskans generally do, but so do all of the double coated breeds.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Echomama
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Echomama » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:27 am

Do you think she is not a Tamaskan? She looks like a lot of the photos, and has a lot of the same personality traits I have read about.
Any ideas what she might be if not Tamaskan?
Since she is a rescue, I have no information, and everything- breed, mix, age, how she wound up in the kill shelter--all is conjecture.

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 am

I see why one might think she's Tamaskan. Her face looks like it has very similar markings and structure to a Tamaskan, but coloring is different. Either way, she's beautiful!!!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:24 am

Echomama wrote:Do you think she is not a Tamaskan? She looks like a lot of the photos, and has a lot of the same personality traits I have read about.
Any ideas what she might be if not Tamaskan?
Since she is a rescue, I have no information, and everything- breed, mix, age, how she wound up in the kill shelter--all is conjecture.
Agreed that she is not a Tamaskan, she looks very much like a German Shephard mix with some Husky influence.

We live in North Texas and neither of my two really have gone through a molt. They will shed basically throughout the year, a little more during when seasons change.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:51 am

She may not be a tamaskan but she is definitely beautiful

Echomama
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Echomama » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:26 pm

thank you all-i think she's beautiful too.

one of the reasons i have been trying to learn what she might be is just to understand her, and try to help her. she has severe separation anxiety, manifested by destructive behavior. for a long time after i adopted her she flinched and growled when a man came near. she follows me around to the point of sometimes making me crazy. she goes to great lengths to escape, and runs the other way when i drive all over trying to get her to get in the car. then she returns when she gets bored or tired. this might not be a problem in the country, but we live in the city, just off a high traffic road.
yes, maybe that's all because she was rescued from the horrible kill "shelter". but all my dogs and cats have been rescued from one place or another, and none of them has had problems as severe as echo's.

my hybrid, cruzer, 50% g.s.d., 50% timberwolf, was a lot of trouble, but not even close to this much.

so between her looks, and some of the characteristics of tamaskans i read about, i thought she might be one, possibly brought to san antonio by someone in the military, possibly abused and abandoned because her owner (a man, i would guess) wouldn't do the work she needed.

Wolfsbane
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfsbane » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:04 pm

I don't think that dog is a Tamaskan, but that's just because I know most of them and she doesn't look familiar to me. But based on looks from the photo posted, she could have easily been a Jaeger puppy if you ask me.

Echomama
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Echomama » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:09 am

What is a Jaeger puppy?

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:10 am

Jaegar is Tarheel Tamaskans stud dog. He sometimes throws pups with shepherdy masking like your dogs.
Image Image

Mon84
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Mon84 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:58 am

Indy blew his coat at the beginning of the 2014 American summer, then after we moved 'down under' he managed to lose even more undercoat as the weather started to warm up in the Australian spring (around September). No more undercoat is coming out but if he doesn't get brushed every day, he has a cloud of guard hairs floating around him when he moves. We have a no-name 'furminator' which works great but we didn't use it more than once a week so as not to irritate his skin.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:41 pm

A rake comb works great with Balto, you should give that a go with Indy. You can also find a grooming place that foes desheds - they blow all the dead hair out. I give Balto a deshed at work every 3 or 4 months.
Image Image

Longl84
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Longl84 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:31 pm

Greats pics :)