What stuff i need to look after a Tamaskan?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

What stuff i need to look after a Tamaskan?

Post by Jbagajluk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:18 am

I think this it the right place to post this. But anyway.

I am hoping to get tamaskan next year at some point. So I am trying to work out a sort of monthly cost that i need to keep aside for my tamaskan.
So i am posting this topic to see what Items i will need for my tamaskan during its first year.

How i would get this cost?
well i would put a list of the items that you suggest i should have and then ill try and find how much each item costs. and how often i would be using that particular item each day.

Items can be:
Types of Food? for training and just basically to eat.
Types of Toys?
What kind of Bed?
Items that are good for Grooming?
Outside items?
Basically any item that will help me with raising my tamaskan.

and if anyone knows what its a good item that i can have to keep my dog cool during the summer months in Brisbane? The average temperature during the summer months is about 28 - 36 degrees the dog will be sleeping in my room during the night but during the day he or she will be outside.

So if you can, link me to a website that sells the item, that would be good. If not i can look around.

and i don't exactly know how to explain this last bit. If there is a expensive item or a well known brand that i should get then plea notify me.

for example if a different company made kongs but weren't as good as the real original kongs then please notify me to buy the original company that made kongs cause they are much better (haha i hope that explains what i mean).

Thanks Guys.
"It is two wolves; and he that runs after her is called Skoll; she fears him, and he shall take her. But he that leaps before her is called Hati Hródvitnisson. He is eager to seize the moon; and so it must be." -Prose Edda

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: What stuff i need to look after a Tamaskan?

Post by Jbagajluk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:23 am

I also forgot to mention that because i live in Australia. I will not be able to receive my puppy till its 4 months old due to 3 months has to stay its country and then 30 days quarantine.
"It is two wolves; and he that runs after her is called Skoll; she fears him, and he shall take her. But he that leaps before her is called Hati Hródvitnisson. He is eager to seize the moon; and so it must be." -Prose Edda

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:57 am

How far away do you live from your nearest Quarantine kennels? Brisbane, Perth and Sydney? These are the only three in the whole of Aus.

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jbagajluk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 am

i live in brisbane. but there is none in brisbane and so Sydney is the closest one to me which is a 45 minute flight away and costs as much as a full tank of petrol, so traveling there is not really an issue.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Some things I have found useful.

A vet bed - almost indestructible, it is fully washable warm and comfy to sleep on. They are not cheep to buy but seem to survive being chewed and shaken by a Tamaskan daily. You can get square or oval ones so they can either just be used on the floor or in a dog basket (a tough one).

We bought a crate, but hardly ever use it, except as a place to dump things on the top. It was handy occasionally to be able to keep her out of the way, but not sure if it was really worth the money for us.

Food - a good quality kibble, I would find out what the breeder is feeding and get the same at least to start with, then you can decide what you want to feed, kibble or raw there is plenty of topics in diet to help you decide that.

Toys - Tamaskans like to chew so tough toys are better, cheep ones often do not last so can end up more expensive in the long run as you have to keep replacing them. Saga likes rope type toys she can have a good chew on those, she is not interested in balls, but each Tam is different so you will just have to wait and see what yours prefers.

Stag bars - A great alternative to a bone, it is just a deer antler, Saga loves hers and it lasts ages and does not go all horrid and smelly.

Their own sofa - no matter how well intentioned you are that the dog will not go on the furniture Tamaskans do seem to have their own idea of where they should sit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope that helps, have fun planning for your new puppy

Sorry no idea about keeping cool, I live in the UK in 'sunny' (ha ha ha) Manchester

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:05 pm

Jbagajluk wrote:i live in brisbane. but there is none in brisbane and so Sydney is the closest one to me which is a 45 minute flight away and costs as much as a full tank of petrol, so traveling there is not really an issue.
I was told that there are only 3 in Aus and one of them is in Brisbane. I will see if I can get the address for you.,

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jbagajluk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:47 pm

haha yeah i got a sofa and thanks.

if there is one in brisbane then thats sweet as. but on our quarantine website it has perth, sydney and Melbourne...i don't understand why melbourne is there queensland is the bigger state.

swake
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by swake » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Toys? things like a kong. Stuff that has no stuffing or squeekers for they can pull it out easy and choke on it. Had one dog go through that, man that was a crazy day.
Not sure about food wise where you are but you can make your own treats that are simple and cheaper then what you would at your local pet store. For less then $20 I can make enough treats that are just as healthy if not healthier then any brand of dog treats you can find. As well as double that amount to add on. Training treats arent meant to be large. large enough for about 2 or 3 chomps then gone. If they have to do more then 3 then your treats are just to big and time to cut smaller
I am a strong supporter of the furminator for brushing
I like to use the prong collar during the beginning of training then slowly work it out once they know how to heel correctly. Search more on it for most people dont know how to use it and hurt their dogs in some cases. I rather the prong then choke I have seen more damage done to a dog with a choke collar then a prong.

leash (at least two per dog)
collar (two per dog, flat collars are a must to ALWAYS keep on)
Nail clippers (please dont use human clippers.)
poop scoop(nothing I hate more then to walk out to pick poop up with a plastic bag)
ear cleaner
water and food bowl
tags
flea drops
heart worm guard
Its always good to have a thermometer and some petroleum jelly.
Dog shampoo with oat meal in it!

If you are in a area that has a lot of mosquitoes, or flies get a horse fly spray. Horse fly spray works the same as dog fly spray just have to use less.

As for keeping your pups cool outside while its hot. Spray the walk way down with cool water.
Kiddy pool with water outside. I like to get cheap cheap cheap ziplocks and freeze some water in them rip open the bag to get the ice out and chuck it in the water for them. Also freezing gatoraid (some sort of power drink) in ice cube trays works great as a treat. Some days you can do just water, or even plain organic yogurt works great.
If your dog is starting to over heat bring him/her inside and lay it down. turn on the fans and grab some ice packs from the freezer and place them on his/her paws. Give her some cold water with ice cubes in but dont let her/him drink to much of it. Just a little bit every so often to much to fast causes bloat.

dog food you do NOT want anything with corn or by products.

just slowly start stalking up on your supplies after that once you get a dog and get a feel for his/her needs.
LuLu has been missing for about 6 months. lost in my area and it hits close to home, though animals have been found across the world. So if you have seen this dog please let one of these people know
http://www.facebook.com/HelpFindLulu

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:37 am

i dont have a tam but my family goes camping a bit and ive seen some people with great ways to keep their dogs cool:

as for watering down the ground, if its really hot that can evaporate really fast and be not very effective, so id pick up a bed like this that will keep the dog off the ground outside:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CHwQ8wIwAw
that one is pretty cheap but you get the idea

you can also get a mat that you can freeze, almost like a giant ice pack, then the dog can lay on that on super hot days:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... =918501007
this one just moves the water around to keep a cool spot for the dogs:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CHEQ8wIwAA
or this one you submerge in water:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... KMBEPMCMAI

for doing outdoor activities on hot days, like hiking or whatever, i'd look into a cooling vest:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... JcBEPMCMAA

for fun theres also a lot of different doggie frozen treats, like this brand that has frozen yogurt!:
http://www.pethealthandnutritioncenter. ... t-4pk.html

those were just a few products you can buy to help keep a tam cool in warm weather :) theres tons of different options, i'm sure you can find what will be perfect for you. hope this helped!

Jbagajluk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jbagajluk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:24 am

yeah watering down outside in the middle of summer basically drys with in minutes. you'll finish and where you began has already dried up. what do you put in the make the doggy biscuits cause i have tried recipes online but the dog i have no doesn't even eat them.

i seen those cooling beds at the vet but i wasn't so sure if they even work. if i take dog hiking will have to be during the day. but thanks for all the ides for beds

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:07 am

for the beds, im not too sure about the one that just circulates water or whatever, but the one where you can dunk it in cool water or the other one that you freeze the inserts, id be willing to bet those work. as long you can keep them cool, like keep freezing inserts or keep throwin cool water on it. you could even maybe put one of those cooling mats ON the hammock bed so its off the hot ground, with cool air going under it, might keep them cooler longer. i think thats the best bet for being outside during the day. ;)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:29 am

can't think of nothing to add... except, i wouldn't go for a prong collar. i'm one that would party if it got banned. choke chain and prong... no no's.

i used a harnes when he was really small but found there was no need. been new to the world an all that, a collar worked fine. he didn't want to wander off and stayed close. then upgraded to a HALTI. they work wonders and no need for pricking the poor pups neck either or chocking with a chain.

but everyone has different opinions, mine are just against anything that would cause discomfort. not to mention, i wouldn't use anything on my dog i wouldn't use on my self... again...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:17 am

Haven't read the whole thing but

No need for a prong collar! It's a matter of teaching them from the start, a prong collar is just cruel :?
- I'm trying to teach Sølve to use the Halti so my sister can walk her (she pulls my sister for some reason) - but it'll take time as she hates it and tries to get it off
>> Nino <<

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:21 pm

Here is my shopping list:

http://pawsawhilewithme.wordpress.com/2 ... e-on-love/

Of course, I have and do made unpublished adjustments since publication. (Most notably related to my on-going puppy-food research)

Your milage may vary.

-Angie
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:52 pm

AngieH wrote:Here is my shopping list:

Of course, I have and do made unpublished adjustments since publication. (Most notably related to my on-going puppy-food research)

Your milage may vary.

-Angie
wow... i mean, well wow :shock: :lol: i love the http://www.etsy.com/listing/53123698/do ... -in-copper, it looks pretty :lol:

you really have paid attention to detail :D . it's quite an impressive list and one should take note. how's the on going puppy food research going?

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:19 pm

AngieH wrote:Here is my shopping list:

Your milage may vary.

-Angie
Wow, thats a long list! I wrote a list and what I spent too... I haven't put vet costs, shots, or pet insurance, or flight cost yet.... My male will not be neutered though.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:53 pm

TerriHolt wrote: you really have paid attention to detail :D . it's quite an impressive list and one should take note. how's the on going puppy food research going?
It's a chore! :shock:
I've thrown myself into the information gathering phase for now. Focusing on grain-free/chemical free foods and evaluating for protein content, calcium and phosperous. Once I assimilate a stronger knowledge base, I'll be in a better position to make worthy decisions.
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

swake
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by swake » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:18 pm

I made a little topic but it died but here is some that I made. Just start going crazy by adding healthy things that your dog likes. My moms dog harley is a freak about carrots so I add a little bit of chopped carrots for her into things though she hates parsley and mint.
Though my old girl bella hates carrots but loves parsley and mint.
First time making treats is getting a feel on what your dog likes. I always like to add when it comes to icey things some vitamins. Some times stick a needle into a fish oil gel tablet and make sure each little ice cub gets a dab. Some times vitamin D. Mix it up, what you feel your dog likes. The reason why your dog would like name brand treats that are sold in pet stores is because they add stuff into them to make every dog to like them more and sometimes their quality is not the best. I compare most sold dog treats like feeding your child a mc nugget from mcdonalds everytime they did something good. It taste good but un healthy. Though again it depends more on who you got it from. I like natural balance dog treats and dog food. Though, I do think the dogs enjoy the home made ones better. They get more pumped up about doing things with them.
Again it still depends on your dogs taste in food. Some dont like some things and others like it. Look around at other treats and just pick and choose which of the stuff your dog likes.

http://www.tamaskan-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1991

as for the flooring I have one of those things dad got that you can adjust the water pressure and I put it on a mist and just let it run

you guys have to have a dog license? anyone here can find a dog off the street and bam you own a dog. Jesus your heart warm test is pricey to!
I do think a walmart bag and poop scoop will help you with your doggy poop bags. Its cheaper.
Easy easy way to take care of dog teeth is go to your local butcher shop and get dog bones. They are rare and clean your dogs teeth as well

EDIT
a great great great healthy treat to give your dog is dehydrated stuff. I liked dehydrating sweet potatoes and letting them chew on that for a while. You can get some cheap meat and make thin strips and dehydrate them. Then cut them into even smaller pieces. I like my treats around the size of my pinky nail. So they chew it and its gone quickly and we can move on
LuLu has been missing for about 6 months. lost in my area and it hits close to home, though animals have been found across the world. So if you have seen this dog please let one of these people know
http://www.facebook.com/HelpFindLulu

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:31 am

I think you'll find it hard to keep feeding the same kibble the breeder has been.
Compared to somewhere like America, we don't really have the same range of food here.
Plus most of the stuff sold here is manufactured here, so may have different things than overseas versions.

Angie H's list was really comprehensive, the only thing I'd would be I'd forget the furminator.
IMO they aren't worth it and do a lot of damage to the outer coat of the dog.
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:35 am

EskyTheHusky wrote:Angie H's list was really comprehensive, the only thing I'd would be I'd forget the furminator.
IMO they aren't worth it and do a lot of damage to the outer coat of the dog.
This really depends on the dog and it's coat IMO..
>> Nino <<

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:40 am

Jbagajluk wrote:I also forgot to mention that because i live in Australia. I will not be able to receive my puppy till its 4 months old due to 3 months has to stay its country and then 30 days quarantine.

From the first of jan next yr it's changing. Pups coming from the uk will have to be 9 months old and then spend a month in quarantine.
Image Image

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 am

Also, you might wanna rethink having a tam outside during the day as they are very good at escaping.
Image Image