The future of Tamaskan..

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
HellanDK
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

The future of Tamaskan..

Post by HellanDK » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Tam lovers, :D

This is more or less adressed to the very hard working & talented breeders, of our magnificent breed.

I was just wondering how the future Tamaskan will look like, is there any changes that breeders will be working towards in regarding to the appearence?

As I'm so lucky to have a beautiful girl (Blustag Indiana), I would like to know what to look for if she is to be mated in the future (other than her temperament). And I think it should be coordinated with what others would like to enhance in our beautiful breed.. ;)

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: The future of Tamaskan..

Post by Blustag » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:48 am

If you have a look at our Pictorial Standard on our website you will see what they are supposed to look like now. We are striving to reduce ear size (and winning ;) ) and also to straighten tails over time. We want to keep the nice head shape and improve on the coat density (not length) The colours and markings are all good so no improvement needed there except for the black/grey needs to lose the white on the chest. I think we are making great steps at the moment in getting where we want to be. I think the tails will be the challenge to get rid of the slight curls seen in some. ;) but all is possible. Personally I like the yellow eyes and the paler the better but they are certainly not essential to the look of the wolf :D

HellanDK
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by HellanDK » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:05 am

Thank you Lynn, for that vision-description. ;)
I noticed Jennie mentioning the eye-colours in another thread... And that I might be necessary to blend in other breeds, to make eyes more pale. Would that breed then be blue-eyes husky's - or? What are your thoughts? :)

HellanDK
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by HellanDK » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:06 am

*I = it! :D

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:10 am

Nooooo blue eyes are 'not' acceptable so to introduce blue eyed huskies would be disasterous :D

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:28 am

If I look at my own girl Konah...

* Tail - it's slightly curled, a bit shaped like that of the German Shepherd. I would like to have it more straight.
* Ears - i would like to have them a bit smaller and a bit more rounded at the top, also more furred inside.
* Coat - her coat is thin, would like to have a sturdier and slightly longer coat.
* Eyes - i like her eyes for the most part but a bit lighter colored would have been nice.
* Height - her height is perfect!
* Legs - she has soooo long legs, but wolves have long legs aswell so this is great.
* Head - i think she has a really nice head, nice long muzzle. Maybe her stop could have have been a bit slighter.
* Masking - her masking is nice but it is a bit too pronounced, it should blend in more.
* Movement - i'm no expert but i think she moves really well.
* Overall Build - she could use some more mass, she is a bit too lanky right now. Her mother was also like that but filled out nicely after her 1st litter.

Am I forgetting something? :mrgreen:

HellanDK
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by HellanDK » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:41 am

Blustag wrote:Nooooo blue eyes are 'not' acceptable so to introduce blue eyed huskies would be disasterous :D
Haha.. Ahh, okay! :D I just read that pups born with blue eyes, change colours to pale yellow.. But how would you recommend the pale eyes to be bred in Tams then?

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Rahne wrote:If I look at my own girl Konah...

* Tail - it's slightly curled, a bit shaped like that of the German Shepherd. I would like to have it more straight.
* Ears - i would like to have them a bit smaller and a bit more rounded at the top, also more furred inside.
* Coat - her coat is thin, would like to have a sturdier and slightly longer coat.
* Eyes - i like her eyes for the most part but a bit lighter colored would have been nice.
* Legs - she has soooo long legs, but wolves have long legs aswell so this is great.
* Head - i think she has a really nice head, nice long muzzle. Maybe her stop could have have been a bit slighter.
* Masking - her masking is nice but it is a bit too pronounced, it should blend in more.
* Overall Build - she could use some more mass, she is a bit too lanky right now. Her mother was also like that but filled out nicely after her 1st litter.

I like the way you broke that down... it would be cool to see a thread with this broken down on everyones Tamaskan.
Hellan wrote:
Blustag wrote:Nooooo blue eyes are 'not' acceptable so to introduce blue eyed huskies would be disasterous :D
Haha.. Ahh, okay! :D I just read that pups born with blue eyes, change colours to pale yellow.. But how would you recommend the pale eyes to be bred in Tams then?
There are already lots of tams with the yellow eyes, I don't think anything needs to be added. Certain lines produce them more often is all.

HellanDK
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by HellanDK » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:39 pm

There are already lots of tams with the yellow eyes, I don't think anything needs to be added. Certain lines produce them more often is all.[/quote]

.. It has to be considered a bonus.. But with an little alpha-she in the house, I'd love her to have them pale eyes! ;) But I'm still learning the ropes with this breed, and what a magnificent breeder work.. My God! :D

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Rahne wrote:If I look at my own girl Konah...

* Character - is perfect!!! :mrgreen:

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:39 am

Dont forget everyone's interpretation of the breed standard is different. How one sees their dog may be very different say for example how I would see it.
We are aiming at our dogs looking like a wolf but we will never get that 'perfect' look of the wolf without introducing wolf....and we are not about to do that .... :lol:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Blustag wrote:Dont forget everyone's interpretation of the breed standard is different. How one sees their dog may be very different say for example how I would see it.
We are aiming at our dogs looking like a wolf but we will never get that 'perfect' look of the wolf without introducing wolf....and we are not about to do that .... :lol:
Well we can get close enough if you ask me - I like that there still is some difference, wouldn't be good that you couldn't see the difference between the Tam and the wolves.. could cause a lot of problems with no good outcome :)

If I look at my own girl Sølve (who of cause is still growing and evolving so this is of-cause an subjective opinion of how she is now)...

* Tail - It is fairly straight, but I'd like it a little more straight (it doesn't curl at all she just keeps it high when exited or interested)
* Ears - I would like to have them a bit smaller and a bit more rounded at the top, also more furred inside. (yeah the same as Rahne hehe, though I think they are rather nice)
* Coat - The coat atm. is very nice I think, it is rather thick for the season (though she is moulting right now) and has a nice length - looking forward to seeing it when the winter coat comes :)
* Eyes - I'd like the eyes to be a bit more almond shaped - and a little lighter I wouldn't mind at all (they changes pretty much depending on the light, from a really deep yellow to a light/medium brown)
* Height - She is still growing, but I would like that she was a bit bigger, Hoping that she will be at least 68-70 cm.
* Legs - She has nice long legs - making her look very feminine i think
* Head - I like her head very much, think it looks good and she have a nice stop
* Masking - I'd like her mask to blend a bit more, and I'd wish for her blaze to dissapear or blend in more (hoping this will come) - ells it is very nice
* Movement - Not an expert either, but I think she moves rather well, very aware of her body and adjusts very well to new conditions - very fast sprint!
* Overall Build - She is growing, which means that she of-cause is on the slim side, but I am not complaining. She will fill in nicely when she gets older I think
* Character - I'd like her to be a bit less shy of people and relaxed around new ones, and we are working on this (bad experiences that have to be bypassed). But as long as people ignore her she is rather relaxed. Ells she does well with sounds and new things, is very curious and relaxed - specially at home. She is almost always ready to play though she is rather lazy and don't mind a whole day just lying around watching. She is a little too intelligent at times, a little bit of an escape artist (opening doors, jumping fences etc.), likes to train but on her premises and if not she will just ignore you (hoping this will change as she is now just that age when they try off boundaries). - I'm hoping that she will be able to enter the shows next year, but am a little "worried" that it wont be possible to do so as she doesn't like strangers touching her (family and close friends isn't a problem though).

- sorry about the long post :lol:
>> Nino <<

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:28 am

FREYJA
* Tail - Freyja's tail is rather straight. Sometimes she carries it like a German shepherd, but mostly it is fairly straight. I think overall the breed could have fuller tails. But perhaps this is due to climate.
* Ears - I would like to have them a bit smaller and a bit more rounded at the top, also more furred inside. same as the others here :D
* Coat - We've just moved to a warmer climate and I noticed that Freyja's coat isn't as nice as it was in the colder north. I think it is a bit short--not for the standard, but I would ultimately rather like to have the coat a bit longer.
* Eyes - I like Freyja's eye shape. however if you compare to wolves, it seems as if the eyes should be set further apart. Maybe that's a function of head size. Her eye color is light in the center, and then rimmed with a slightly darker brown. I need to take a photo and post.
* Height - 25-26" inches roughly. I think Freyja is a nice height for her build. She is long and lean.
* Legs - She has nice long legs - people always comment on how tall she is.
* Head - she has a beautifully shaped head, her stop is incredible (as I have seen many coyote and wolf skulls to know what a wild dog stop looks like). It's not "perfect" but pretty darn good. I do think Freyja's head could be a bit bigger. Not to say it's too small. Probably correct when compared to the standard.
* Masking - I adore Freyja's facial markings. i think they're right on.
* Movement - Freyja is very graceful. She has the easy lope of a wild dog--very fascinating to see in a domestic dog :D She is the fastest dog in our pack. No one else can catch her when she runs. She can turn on a dime. And as you can see from the North American meetup photos, can jump over Darwin :D
* Overall Build - Freyja is very long and lean--quite stunning to my eye. Certainly doesn't have the bulk of North American wolves but still very stunning. We actually get "coyote?" more often than "wolf?" with her.
* Character - Freyja is the pack leader in our house (well, below the humans, of course). Her body language is amazing to watch. She has taught our rescue Tam very good social skills and has certainly boosted the confidence of our fearful dog. She is friendly with strangers and has a keen interest in small children. She loves kids. From the beginning she seemed to know instinctively to not jump up and not be rough with children. (She will prance around the house following my two young nieces.) She was also raised with cats and does very well with them--even snuggles with them. She doesn't bark much except when she's trying to tell you something. (I want to go outside, or Darwin needs to go outside, or play with me!) She does this funny thing with people who have strong personalities (like my dad). She play bows and gives a deep roaw-roaw-roaw. It's very comical! She often does this and then does a 180 spin or even a 360! She's hilarious! Freyja is also very affectionate.

DARWIN
* Tail - Darwin's tail is rather straight. When compared to Freyja's it is more straight, but he tends to hold a little twist in it at the end.
* Ears - I would like to have them much smaller and a bit more rounded at the top, also more furred inside. same as the others here :D It seems to me that our two Tams have German shepherd size ears.
* Coat - At the moment Darwin's coat is longer than Freyja's I like the length of his coat but I'm sure it'll change by the time he's mature.
* Eyes - Darwin's eye shape is a bit more rounded than Freyja's. I think eyes should look more like Freyja's. BUT maybe it's because Darwin's head is bigger... His eye color is brown at the moment but lightening in the center as Freyja's did when she was his age.
* Height - 26-27 inches roughly.I think Darwin could be a bit taller for his body size. He is not lean like Freyja. Not to say that he is fat--but his chest cavity is larger, etc. etc.
* Legs - Darwin's bone structure is large. Very nice. His legs are much thicker than Freyja's.
* Head - His head size is great--rather big (though not as big as I think heads should be), his stop could be a bit less. Probably correct when compared to the standard.
* Masking - Darwin's masking is very nice so far. Again we will see what blending does in time.
* Movement - Darwin is a bit of a klutz at the moment. I would attribute it to being a teenager. He is the slowest dog in our pack probably due to bulk. He does not have the stamina of our other two dogs, either. I'm sure grace with come with age. We kind of describe him as our freight train. Once he gets going it's difficult for him to stop. :lol:
* Overall Build - Darwin has a very nice body size. If I could change one thing it would be a couple more inches. We actually get "wolf?" more often than "coyote?" with him.
* Character - Darwin is very friendly and outgoing. He is much more laid back than Freyja which I'm learning may be breed-wide (?) (are males typically more laid back than females?) He is right at home anywhere we take him as long as we are there with him. However, he does not like to be left alone. He is still recovering from separation anxiety that he acquired with a previous owner. Darwin is also very affectionate.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:46 am

These "dog reviews" are really neat to read, very informative and interesting :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:09 am

Boreal wrote:These "dog reviews" are really neat to read, very informative and interesting :)
I know... I can't wait to put one up for Zephyr after I get to know him and he grows up a bit :)

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Dont forget everyone's interpretation of the standard is different so what you may be reading may not actually be correct. These are just thoughts and are for fun ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Finally remembered and couldn't resist doing one for Ulric :P

* Tail - His tail does curl quite often where the tip will come close to touching his back, this happens he he is excited most times. Other times like when he is wagging his tail he will keep it straight (half the time), while in movement he tends to carry it more like a German Shepherd while a slight curl on the end.
* Ears - I think if his ears were just slightly smaller and well more furred.
* Coat - I think his coat is about right, I think when it get's messy or wet he tends to look more wolfy.
* Eyes - I would like his eyes to be more almond-shaped and honestly lighter, but they give him that friendly look I think.
* Height - I really do wish him to be taller, he seems short to me being only 64.77 cm (25 in)
* Legs - I believe it is his legs that make him look so short to me, would love them to be longer.
* Head - I think he has a good head, just maybe a slightly longer snout.
* Masking - I love his masking, if anything maybe just a little more blended in.
* Movement - I'm not sure on movement but I think it is okay, I tend to watch his tracks in the dirt or snow and it seemed very similar to a wolf's.
* Overall Build - His body is a bit long but he is strong, I tend to think he looks overweight but then realize it is just his fur.
* Character - Can be quite cheeky and goofy at times. He knows he is the lowest member of our pack and he is just happy there. He is very laid back and loves playing with other dogs. He loves on guests that enter my home but strangers outside of home he is a bit shy of, sometimes a little more comfortable with strange children. If he wants something then he will be talkative with his "woo woos" :lol: He even taught himself to nod "yes" when I ask if he wants something.

He does have his faults but he is still my boy and I love him because he is still a great dog :D

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:10 am

I enjoy reading this reviews as well! It's definitely interesting to read everyones thoughts and interpretations on their dogs, it definitely helps to see these and then look at the dog's pictures compared to the standards and such (:
Katurah

melanie
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by melanie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:29 pm

I have been reading up on other peoples comments on their own dogs.Yes I know that not all are going to be the same,but it has been
very helpful for me .as I am getting a lot if info on the Tams this way.A very big thank you to all who are posting your dog charactors
on the forum. :D
Reading about their funny cheeky ways had me laughing as well :lol: Look for ward to reading and learning more :P ;)