VERBAL ABUSE

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

VERBAL ABUSE

Post by Blustag » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

As a new puppy owner it is not very nice when someone approaches you, asks you what breed your dog is and upon finding that it is a Tamaskan immediately throws a load of verbal diarrhea in your direction. You know ....the usual.... its a wolf...its a Utonagan really....its gonna die of the many diseases that the Tamaskan have...and so on. Usually quotes from the no wolf fable whatever.

Fortunately this has only happened a couple of times (that I know of) so pleeeassseeee people DONT stand and listen to this utter nasty nonsence, but move away. DONT give them the benefit of being able to rant. Depending on what your character is ...give them both barrels...before...moving away. In other words...CUT THEM SHORT. It takes a certain kind of person who would approach a stranger and give them a hard time dont you think, so are they worth your time and upset?? DEFINATELY NOT.

SilverGhost
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: VERBAL ABUSE

Post by SilverGhost » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:30 am

totally agree... for gods sake in my part of germany nobody knows even what a tamaskan is:)
I give them always infos and leave them with a " awww... very cool" in their face:)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:12 am

Thinking of this I feel lucky that I live in a country where the Tamaskan is almost a 100% unknown, and when people meet them I am the one who have to explain what the breed is, what it is like and I often do tell about the ones who says the breed is not what we tell it is, cause I believe that if you are open about the "problems" then people will be more open to your side of the story..

Hoping that the people that do find them selves in the situation where people verbally abuse them and their adored dog will keep their head held high and walk away not allowing people to give them shit..
>> Nino <<

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:29 am

As I said it is extremely rare for this to happen as our breed is not that well known and it is only the people who have come across the 'no wolf whatever' site that are the ones giving out the abuse, so fortunatley its not something that happens often. I just wanted to tell people that it could happen and what to do IF it does as it happened to someone just this week. They are only the 2nd person that I know of in the last 8 or so years.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Ridiculous how someone can go on a rant about something they really don't know... :roll:

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Well we all know there are some wicked people in this world who set out to destroy others :twisted: I am a true believer in live and let live ;)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:50 pm

One of my professor stumbled upon that No Wolf Fable crap shortly after surfing the web out of his own curiousity due to seeing another student who had a Tamaskan dog on their laptop screensaver during a lecture and asking her about it. I went in his office for help when I saw that "fable" on the monitor that he was reading and tried to point out that the No Wolf Fable was false and the person behind it was a disgruntle former breeder who wanted to have things their own way. He seemed shocked and was like "I didn't know what to believe when I googled the breed" so I took it that he's already learnt about the TBC and the TCA. I kept on telling him that the official breed's website is tamaskan-dog.com with the dash and that there were so many rubbish out there, briefly explaining to him about Aatu and RPK. He was then drawn into this whole "so if I get this dog will I be in danger if someone thinks it's a wolf?" In response, I directed him into this page: http://tamaskan-dog.com/UK/websites.htm

Ironically, it only got him more suspicious because 1) He had no prior knowledge about the breed, 2) He was skeptic and was doubtful about the Finnish Racing Huskies existence because he was already aware of many wolfdog breeders using bizarre names to hide the wolf in states where wolfdogs are ban, and 3) He was being lectured by a student (myself) about what information online are correct and what's incorrect that he wasn't sure if I was the right person to listen to because in his point of view all he saw was three groups (TDR the original, TCA, and TBA) fighting over who has the rights to use the name and started ranting on the idea of pedigree standards and the "corruptions behind selective breedings for desired appearances".

I think that he MIGHT have already seen videos like this one:

Seeing as there was little I could do I just changed the subject to get back on the course in which I was there for help. Whatever he believes is his own choice.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:38 pm

When I talk to people and chat with them over email, I always give the TDR, NTCA, and our websites. When I got tired of typing them all the time, I put them in the signature line of my emails. I even go so far as to tell folks that there are other folks out there who are not registered breeders who are crossing with wolves or other dog breeds, who are puppy mills, and are not doing health testing. I urge all newcomers to inquire with the breeder of their choice about health testing and request proof. This is all we can do.
If someone is worried about a dog looking like a wolf then either put an orange vest on it, or don't get a Tamaskan Dog.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Hawthorne wrote:When I talk to people and chat with them over email, I always give the TDR, NTCA, and our websites. When I got tired of typing them all the time, I put them in the signature line of my emails. I even go so far as to tell folks that there are other folks out there who are not registered breeders who are crossing with wolves or other dog breeds, who are puppy mills, and are not doing health testing. I urge all newcomers to inquire with the breeder of their choice about health testing and request proof. This is all we can do.
If someone is worried about a dog looking like a wolf then either put an orange vest on it, or don't get a Tamaskan Dog.
I agree completely with you. I do that too, by listing or even linking them to several websites like Tarheel's NTCA, Sylvaen, Blufawn, and Blustag and I'll include the NTCC on the list once the site is finished. To make sure that no one accidentally slips into RPK's website I always remind them to put a dash (-) between tamaskan and dog.

The owner of the long coat chihuahua that I've posted a photo of in my canine companion topic is paranoid of all large northern spitz type dogs despite knowing that they're not wolves. Anything that "looks like a wolf" gets her all nuts. She's even got excited once (in a bad way) when I mentioned Snoopy to my cousins (her nieces and one nephew) in her presence and all I could do was :roll: "Relax he's NOT here!"
Sometimes I don't think it's the wolf-like appearance that scares the ignorant people though. Some people are afraid of large breeds and some are afraid of ANY dog which I'm fine with that as long as they don't go off claiming that this northern spitz dog in subject is "part wolf"; that is where I get annoyed the most! Has to do with the multiple execution of dogs that have been mislabeled as "wolfdogs" in those shelters.

tigerstedt
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by tigerstedt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:27 pm

I count my self lucky to live in a country where big nothern breeds are envied rather than feared. I've seen a lot of "information" on the web and, upon checking the source of it, discovered that almost everything came from the same person or persons family.

Right now I'm doing some work to stop Tamaskan misconseptions in Norway (showing my doubble barrel) in a civilised way (not pulling the trigger... yet), just making it clear I have the ammo. And telling them that Facebook isn't the most reliable source...

To everyone on this forum: I am blessed to know I have this forum to ask question, or ask for help.

Other than that, if you get an ear full, walking away is often the best.

On the note of objective information, point them to wikipedia. It tends to be locked upon as a reliable source even among scholars.
A home without a dog
- is just a house

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:56 am

tigerstedt wrote:I count my self lucky to live in a country where big nothern breeds are envied rather than feared. I've seen a lot of "information" on the web and, upon checking the source of it, discovered that almost everything came from the same person or persons family.

Right now I'm doing some work to stop Tamaskan misconseptions in Norway (showing my doubble barrel) in a civilised way (not pulling the trigger... yet), just making it clear I have the ammo. And telling them that Facebook isn't the most reliable source...

To everyone on this forum: I am blessed to know I have this forum to ask question, or ask for help.

Well done for flying the flag for our breed in Norway. I am getting more and more enquiries now from Scandinavia which is lovely so we dont want people
causing trouble for the breed up there or anywhere else for that matter.

The Australian people have already approached the powers that be at the
government BEFORE any such propaganda reaches them and they are well
satisfied that there is NO wolf in our dogs.

Im glad we have this forum too and I always direct any of my puppy
purchasers to it regardless of whether they have bought Malamute or Tamaskan from me. It is an endless source of help for everyone. :D

Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tuskietoes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 am

SilverGhost wrote:totally agree... for gods sake in my part of germany nobody knows even what a tamaskan is:)
I give them always infos and leave them with a " awww... very cool" in their face:)
That's exactly what we do too :D When we were in the UK people assumed Tuskyn was a "husky something" and commented on his wolf-like appearance. Down here (in Australia) we've had a lot of people stop and stare at him, almost always in a good way, and those that approach us either assume he's wolf... or best yet a dingo! We explain he's a Tamaskan from the UK and more often than not use the phrase "Husky Shepherd Cross". Like you SilverGhost we leave them with that "awww... very cool" expression too!

On a side note, our vet here thinks it's hilarious that in the UK they're breeding big dogs that resemble wolves but in Australia they're breeding teeny dogs that wear jumpers and fit into handbags! :lol:

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:07 am

Haha yeh all those little x mutts are really popular here.
Image Image

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:57 am

Kyliedelonge wrote:Haha yeh all those little x mutts are really popular here.
i wouldn't mind some of those little x mutt's if they were been bred to undo some of the damage the kc have caused to dogs... like breeding a pug with something to gain the height and length in the muzzle to allow them to breath again (just one of the many eg.'s but it would take forever to list them all :lol: ), but they are just been bred because they are there... and could be adding illness to the dog like if X parent has Z problem and Y parent Q problem, off spring could end up with not just Z or Q but both Z and Q... people just do crazy things now that X breeds are popular and will sell for between £200 - £1000.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:15 am

Yeh it'd be different if they were doing that- and I have nothing agaist mutts either, I've never owned a pure bred.
I don't even know what the mixes of dogs are half the time- cavadoodle, pugalier... Theyr just slapping a combined name on the dogs and asking $800-1000
Image Image

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:30 am

'rare' sprocker spaniels make me laugh :D or the accurately named 'bullshit' :lol:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Blustag wrote:
tigerstedt wrote:I count my self lucky to live in a country where big nothern breeds are envied rather than feared. I've seen a lot of "information" on the web and, upon checking the source of it, discovered that almost everything came from the same person or persons family.

Right now I'm doing some work to stop Tamaskan misconceptions in Norway (showing my double barrel) in a civilised way (not pulling the trigger... yet), just making it clear I have the ammo. And telling them that Facebook isn't the most reliable source...

Well done for flying the flag for our breed in Norway. I am getting more and more enquiries now from Scandinavia which is lovely so we don't want people causing trouble for the breed up there or anywhere else for that matter.

The Australian people have already approached the powers that be at the
government BEFORE any such propaganda reaches them and they are well
satisfied that there is NO wolf in our dogs.
I just want to say, thank you to tigerstedt and the Australian Tamaskan enthusiasts for standing up for the breed. I will continue to help you all spread the word that the breed has no wolf in it just in case some other fools find that horrid no-wolf fable rubbish and believe everything out from it.